Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013
I just stupidly staked one of those pillar things and then immediately died. Can I still pick up the drop later, or is it gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Judas Iscaredycat posted:

I just stupidly staked one of those pillar things and then immediately died. Can I still pick up the drop later, or is it gone?

It persists through death, don't worry.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Oh, so I guess that cool fist moveset wasn't for this DLC after all, huh?

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Are there a lot of people still struggling with Fume Knight? Cause I'm ready and willing to help fellow goons beat him.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Because I'm stupid as all hell, I finished the DLC on NG+ Champ without using any Smelter Wedges. :shepface:
Here's proof:

http://i.imgur.com/7D2gggN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KRfZvSa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MKL98NP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9eKo1d8.jpg

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Fine Work!
Now do it on NG++ with a broken mundane ladle.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So does the NG thing carry over any actions you made in your previous run-through, or do you basically get to try again with the various NPCs if you messed them up?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Where is the bonus dungeon in Brume Tower anyway? I never found it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Nakar posted:

Where is the bonus dungeon in Brume Tower anyway? I never found it.

Go down, but not as far as you can absolutely go. It's hard to describe without being too spoiler-y.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the dlc hex as good as I'm hoping it is? Dark orb barrage sounds rad as hell.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the dlc hex as good as I'm hoping it is? Dark orb barrage sounds rad as hell.

So far in PvE it's been pretty underwhelming.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well, katanas are awful in PVE too. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a different one than the one that has homing Dark Orbs?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Sir Allone is a great fight but i'm having a hard enough time getting to him without dying. At least with Artorias there was a way to skip literally everything between you and him.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Smornstein posted:

Sir Allone is a great fight but i'm having a hard enough time getting to him without dying. At least with Artorias there was a way to skip literally everything between you and him.

What I did was go it slow in the first room, taking on the enemies one at a time and avoiding the fire lizards. After baiting the Alonne Knight Captain, jump down and run past all the enemies to the fog door, they usually won't follow you to there.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where is this armor or whatever that says "Alas it does nothing" until you beat F-K? It must be before that boss but I never came across it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where is this armor or whatever that says "Alas it does nothing" until you beat F-K? It must be before that boss but I never came across it.

Get on every upwards elevator you can find after getting the Tower Key. He's at the top of the tower.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Well, katanas are awful in PVE too. :v:

Thus far the Blacksteel Katana you get from the Majula chest has been destroying everything for me. I was expecting this dex run to be harder than the others I've done but it isn't.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

What are the good weapons to use weapon enchants with im running with a dex build and rapiers and want to add some magic fencer type deals, anything in particular? I remember that you might as well just use resins unless it has natural elemental/magic damage on it?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Stormgale posted:

What are the good weapons to use weapon enchants with im running with a dex build and rapiers and want to add some magic fencer type deals, anything in particular? I remember that you might as well just use resins unless it has natural elemental/magic damage on it?

You might as well use resins until you get to a place in your build where you're allocated all the points you plan on putting into STR/DEX/VIT/END/ADP because most of the elemental scaling requires a pretty heavy stat investment into INT/WIS and if those two stats aren't part of your overall end-build then it can make the game difficult to level up those stats while your "main" stats linger.

In my experience a lot of the elemental infusions are underwhelming at best. Especially now that they upped the resists on a lot of monsters, it's basically just a PVP thing to squeak out a few more points of damage.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Guess I'm starting a new character to play through this DLC (only character I have is on NG+3.) I made it through the first DLC without any major issues, but I'm at the first boss of this DLC and it's not happening. It doesn't help that I'm pretty disappointed in this fight for obvious reasons (Smelter Demon 2.0 isn't the optional boss, right?)

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not very obvious considering I have no idea what you're on about. There's only one boss you have to fight and he's pretty cool. Did you go down the optional area and find Smelter Demon 2.0? That's pretty obviously not the main path, it's the exact same set up as the gank squad from Sunken King.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

enojy posted:

Guess I'm starting a new character to play through this DLC (only character I have is on NG+3.) I made it through the first DLC without any major issues, but I'm at the first boss of this DLC and it's not happening. It doesn't help that I'm pretty disappointed in this fight for obvious reasons (Smelter Demon 2.0 isn't the optional boss, right?)

I'd call that boss the optional boss for sure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

enojy posted:

Technically the only boss that's required is Raime, since killing him allows you access to the crown. That said, it's a good idea to kill Sir Alonne for the Smelter Wedge. Also that boss fight rules, even if his runback is hell.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Technically the only boss that's required is Raime, since killing him allows you access to the crown. That said, it's a good idea to kill Sir Alonne for the Smelter Wedge. Also that boss fight rules, even if his runback is hell.

Can you fight Sir Alonne without beating Raime first?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Can you fight Sir Alonne without beating Raime first?

Nope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got the Majestic Greatsword! It owns. Should I dark infuse it like with my dark claymore? How do I do the vertical flips?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I know I said I wouldn't advertise the stream again (sorry), but doing blood arena with the build I posted earlier at https://www.twitch.tv/grimbattler.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Finally completed the DLC and I have to say it's the better of the 2 by far.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I got the Majestic Greatsword! It owns. Should I dark infuse it like with my dark claymore? How do I do the vertical flips?

Two-hand it in your left hand and hit R2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

Two-hand it in your left hand and hit R2.

Ah, thanks. Turns out I can't use Dark Weapon on it, so I guess I'll keep it regular.

e: Can the majestic sword not backstab? It's triggered on no one.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah, thanks. Turns out I can't use Dark Weapon on it, so I guess I'll keep it regular.

e: Can the majestic sword not backstab? It's triggered on no one.

From what I can tell it'll backstab in the right hand slot, but not in the left. Not sure why that is. Could be wrong, though. The DLC enemies are pretty finicky to backstab.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wordybird posted:

From what I can tell it'll backstab in the right hand slot, but not in the left. Not sure why that is. Could be wrong, though. The DLC enemies are pretty finicky to backstab.

You can't backstab with left-handed weapons as far as I know, so I guess they didn't change it for the Majestic Greatsword. You could always keep a dagger in your right hand cause it'll probably do more crit damage than the MJGS anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo Fume Knight was hard. I spent all evening fighting it but man, what a feeling of relief and satisfaction when I beat it. On the time I finally beat him it was like nothing could hit me. I made maybe 2 mistakes on the entire fire sword section and I seriously couldn't believe it. Really well designed fight.

Now to go find the other two...

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Holy poo poo Fume Knight was hard. I spent all evening fighting it but man, what a feeling of relief and satisfaction when I beat it. On the time I finally beat him it was like nothing could hit me. I made maybe 2 mistakes on the entire fire sword section and I seriously couldn't believe it. Really well designed fight.

Now to go find the other two...

He is definitely a real beating. Still haven't managed to make it through myself. He's just got so much drat health, even against a nearly 600 damage moonlight greatsword

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

He is definitely a real beating. Still haven't managed to make it through myself. He's just got so much drat health, even against a nearly 600 damage moonlight greatsword

On top of his monstrous amount of health, he's also got insanely high resists to all the elements. Especially Lightning.

I'm almost certain that a pure caster character would literally be unable to beat him without using several spell recovery items.

I tested the difference between a Lightning infused weapon and a regular +10 weapon and the damage difference was massive. Like almost over 100 points per swing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I beat him with pure Sorcery. Crystal Soul Spears and Homing Crystal Soulmasses are chip damage. A perfect Soul Geyser barely leaves a dent. And I think Magic is one of his lesser resists compared to Fire and Dark.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Targeting his physical defense is definitely the way to go unless you're a lower SL/SM mage build on NG. I killed him with a regular-rear end Berserker Blade.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

My biggest revelation was when I stopped being an idiot and trying to roll away from his slow sweeping fire sword attack that does absurd damage. Just roll to the left and go straight through that poo poo and he's wide open for attack. His regular combos then become the nastiest attack he has. The single hardest part is deciding whether or not to attack after a combo since sometimes he will turn around and do a quick swipe just as I'm attacking him. I never did figure out a good tell for if he's going to do that so I just ended up being super careful/lucky on the time I beat him.

That said, I beat him with just my Old Mirrah Greatsword doing 300-400 damage so I'm sure you'll get him eventually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I got to the boss fog door but didn't go through. Is the dark grey fog door I see one level up before you start falling down through all the loose floors one of the optional areas? I just want to make sure.

Also, holy poo poo, the roaring halberd melts everything in the dlc. I may ignore magic altogether and just powerstance the Majestic and the halberd. It also, for some reason, makes all the barrel hollows explode.