Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Are we limiting it to just writers? Because Marvel has Sara Pichelli who is one of the better artists working right now imo. Is Marjorie Liu writing any Marvel books these days?

I mentioned Rios, Bellaire, and Connor, so no not just writers. I forgot about Sara Pichelli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh man, killer link.

If you're not following the art thread, I'm swiping this stuff from this good CBR article like Land swipes from everyone.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mentioned Rios, Bellaire, and Connor, so no not just writers. I forgot about Sara Pichelli.

Rios left Marvel for Image a while back, well left is a strong term but isn't doing more work for them. Bellaire is doing work for both DC and Marvel at the moment. But off the top of my head those are the main ones. Image is only slightly better but Marvel/DC are both pretty embarrassing at the moment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uhhhhhh

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

If you're not following the art thread, I'm swiping this stuff from this good CBR article like Land swipes from everyone.

Check your link they're referring to again, and you might understand what's happening better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What do Marvel and DC look like in terms of hiring female creators

This site seems to update on Marvel and DC female creatives with every month's solicits.
https://thanley.wordpress.com/category/women-in-comics-statistics/

October for DC is 17 women on 21 books, and Marvel has 7 on 9.
It's an especially neat month for DC because Becky Cloonan (Gotham Academy), Genevieve Valentine (Catwoman) and Marguerite Bennett (Earth 2 monthly and weekly) get new writing jobs (e: Ann Nocenti's got a new book too, but she's swapping Catwoman for it.)
November also has a new lady co-writing Supergirl.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Check your link they're referring to again, and you might understand what's happening better.

Huh?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
This link you posted goes to the main page of BSS, not whatever you thought it was going to.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Clicking your link just takes me to the BSS Index.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh lol, multiple tabs. :sweatdrop:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

This site seems to update on Marvel and DC female creatives with every month's solicits.
https://thanley.wordpress.com/category/women-in-comics-statistics/

October for DC is 17 women on 21 books, and Marvel has 7 on 9.
It's an especially neat month for DC because Becky Cloonan (Gotham Academy), Genevieve Valentine (Catwoman) and Marguerite Bennett (Earth 2 monthly and weekly) get new writing jobs (e: Ann Nocenti's got a new book too, but she's swapping Catwoman for it.)
November also has a new lady co-writing Supergirl.

Interesting, that definitely skews differently than I thought it would.

Is Ann Nocenti still a good writer? Don't answer that if she isn't. I want to believe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That hasn't been updated since 2008. Has he been busted for anything on Mighty Avengers? I know about the Iron Man Tony smile compilation.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is Ann Nocenti still a good writer? Don't answer that if she isn't. I want to believe.

I wanna believe too since I need a good Klarion book (her comic starting that month,) but no.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Some of those are really bad examples, like that vampire one is completely reasonable.

But mostly they are really good examples of how dumb his work is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Aww, I was hoping for a new link, that one's 6 years out of date (and has been linked here before a few times).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Does anyone still have the FBB gif (I think Beanpants made it, or contributed to it at least) showing Land's tracing/swiping?

e: Oh haha, I just found a comment posted by me on FBB crediting Solenna and Hoatzin with it. But not the actual gif. :(

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well I'm new ok!

What I don't get is the swiping. It seems to me that it would piss other artists off something fierce, unless that's just an accepted thing in the industry.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah well I'm new ok!

What I don't get is the swiping. It seems to me that it would piss other artists off something fierce, unless that's just an accepted thing in the industry.
You're a good egg, it's cool.

FOR NOW

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Just don't read any of her new stuff and keep the memory of her Daredevil work and that strong in your mind.

It's for the best.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The fantasy football league has been recreated and if you had a team last year, you should have gotten an invite. If you didn't and want an invite, let me know.

We're currently drafting on Monday at 6:00 PM EST if anyone wants to complain about that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Action Comics #1? Pff, who needs that noise? For only $5,000 you can own your very own copy of...2099 Unlimited #4? Wait, what?

"This comic book is one of ten that was ever made." :raise:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redbackground posted:

Action Comics #1? Pff, who needs that noise? For only $5,000 you can own your very own copy of...2099 Unlimited #4? Wait, what?

"This comic book is one of ten that was ever made." :raise:
I tried to offer him a quarter (that's fair market price for a back issue nobody wants!) but eBay wouldn't let me :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The last issue of New Avengers I got only has one staple in it so who wants to pay me $100 bucks for my rare comic book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

The last issue of New Avengers I got only has one staple in it so who wants to pay me $100 bucks for my rare comic book.

My copy of Fantastic Four #352 has a second cover in the middle of the issue. It must be worth at least $700.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bairfanx posted:

Aside from a really crappy VHS movie from when I was a kid, my first exposure to Spider-Woman was in Bendis's Avengers however long ago. And the only real portrayal of her I've liked has been the one Kot's writing in Secret Avengers. Are people not talking about that book like it's one of the leading female-led Marvel books? Maria Hill, Black Widow, and Spider-Woman are not only getting more screen time than the men in the book but they're more competent and generally why I've kept reading it.
I think most people aren't talking about it because they aren't reading it, and I don't talk about it much because I think it's terrible but since no one else is talking it seems means to bring the book up only to describe how embarrassing the writing is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hey so I'm being told people didn't get the auto-reinvites that should have gone out if you were in BSS fantasy football last year, but luckily yahoo un-stupided themselves this year and you can just share a link again, so: here's the link. I'm not sure what happens if you click on that and you had a team last year, hopefully Yahoo remembers you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am returned.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

I think most people aren't talking about it because they aren't reading it, and I don't talk about it much because I think it's terrible but since no one else is talking it seems means to bring the book up only to describe how embarrassing the writing is.

I enjoyed it and thought it was really cute until this most recent issue became the main text in "How not to write Deadpool" 101.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Uhhhhhh

What's this from?

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Soonmot posted:

I enjoyed it and thought it was really cute until this most recent issue became the main text in "How not to write Deadpool" 101.

Yeah I was really enjoying it for the most part until this Deadpool issue. Even the ridiculous Derrida thing didn't bother me that much until it became clear that wasn't just a one-off joke. Now the plot seems to be heavily revolving around a Borges short story? Ugh Borges is probably my favorite writer but I really don't want to see pointless Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius references littered lazily throughout this comic! The art is great and the Tradd Moore covers are fantastic, but the writing went from passable to unbearable this issue so I think I'm out.

Speaking of Tradd Moore, what's everyone's thoughts on the new Ghost Rider artist? That was one of my top titles with Moore, but now I'm not sure I'll stick with it. Damian Scott has a similar graffiti kinda style, but it's just so much muddier, I can't really tell what's going on and everything's so ugly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm still down with ANGR. It still has that frenetic cartoony action vibe going for it, but isn't as exaggerated as before, which was bordering on Ramos levels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

What's this from?

An insane webcomic called Dreaming of Utopia. Mostly known because it casts Furries as a persecuted race/religion. The guy doesn't like Something Awful because we made fun of him.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I haven't posted about Secret Avengers on here because everyone seems to hate it already, but I genuinely enjoy it overall. I even like the dumb just-finished-a-college-lit-course references thrown that're about willy nilly.

The latest issue was pretty fun, too, I thought, besides a few "uugh, really?" moments with Deadpool. I loved the stupid montage-y spread mid book. I love any time Maria Hill shows up. Like the dude who brought it up said, the book has female characters being competent and, imo, interesting, so stuff like that gets a pass from me.

Then again, I think I am also the only person in the world left reading All-New Invaders, too, though, so my taste is ... questionable. :negative:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There are points where Secret Avengers works well but then it tries to be something it's not like Hawkguy or Deadpool lite and it's just a case of trying really too hard.

It doesn't help that everything outside of the book I read of about Kot just has him coming off as really trying to be pretentious.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I admire Kot for being one of the most honest and outspoken people in the industry. Sure, he wears his influences on the sleeve as no one else, but at least Secret Avengers feels like it was written by a guy who did Change and Wild Children, unlike Fraction and Hickman who have barely a handful of Marvel comics that are read like their real work.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Daredevil #7 got featured in a psychology blog.

Haven't read the issue but it's really nice to see this kind of stuff handled well enough for non-comic fans to talk about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hang on they renumbered DD again but they didn't change writers or anything?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Hang on they renumbered DD again but they didn't change writers or anything?

He moved to San Francisco. I thought it was really weird that they rebooted it though.

I really liked issue 7 and it totally flipped me on issue 6. I really didn't like it the first time I read it but I imagine the next time I read them I'll really like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:eyepop:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Then again, I think I am also the only person in the world left reading All-New Invaders, too, though, so my taste is ... questionable. :negative:

I am in the same boat. I enjoy Secret Avengers and New Invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdcGek-NoFQ
His videos are pretty entertaining to watch. He does a detailed build video, then usually a video of him just playing around with them.

• Locked thread