Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kanine posted:

I think I'm calling this finished.

I really like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="RizieN" post=" motivation
[/quote]

God you've had that same avatar forever haven't you?

So I don't know if this is relevant or not but I've been messing with CG since I was a childe and only very recently did I subscribe to Unreal Engine 4 [$20/mo] and it's given me so much inspiration and reason to get back in. check out some of the example youtubes of the rendering it puts out and then read about the blueprints which allow you to make levels/whatever without touching any code at all. of course this all comes down to the modelling but for me the benefit is not only do you get to do the cool modelling and that side but then you get an engine that allows you to move and walk around and use and real-time fiddle with the textures and etc etc etc. I've been using it for 2 weeks without any prior experience and I don't think I've ever been so inspired in my life. it's not just about games either, look at the architecture viz vids on YouTube and realise that those things aren't renders as such but real time [almost, would require beefy card]. and because you don't need to code you can focus on modelling and then use the engine to make the models come to life in a way a renderer never could. and then put boosters on it and fly it around in a level ;)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the aesthetic I am going for is low-poly and am finding blender the best tool to use. I have unashamedly pirated 3ds and maya to fiddle. I used 3ds lots when I was younger but it feels so dated now. maya is just confusing. blender requires you to learn the keyboard but once you do it's fine and the sculpting tools are acceptable for my low-poly stuff. plus the game I am making has no contributions from 3ds or maya which is a good feeling. it seems ridiculous to me in a sense that a lot of tutorials require you at some stage to import into 3ds not to do modelling but just use a modifier and then import out. I refuse to do this. my loss I guess. well not my loss for not forking out the dosh, which I would feel compelled to do if I used those pricey tools given that I one day actually intend to make money from this [in my wildest dreams]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

It's pretty awesome.

poo poo I didn't read this and didn't realise you were already doing an indie game thing

Anyway, unreal owns unity groans. I have faith in you though to make it work though.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

"echinopsis" posted:

Bro you can use paragraphs, you don't need to make four posts for one post's worth of content.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfibGLgD-8

Jesus christ those modelling tools! Instancing!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

All done with the chessboard:

I could probably continue and refine it further - the dof is a bit fuzzy and the camera focus could be better, but honestly i'm happy enough as it was just a practice. Thinking about moving on and getting a digital tutors sub for a bit - keen to see what else I could try.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WMain00 posted:

All done with the chessboard:

I could probably continue and refine it further - the dof is a bit fuzzy and the camera focus could be better, but honestly i'm happy enough as it was just a practice. Thinking about moving on and getting a digital tutors sub for a bit - keen to see what else I could try.

If you're using Vray, check out the Grant Warwick mastering Vray course. there's a great bit of great info in there.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Its a little overcomplicated and could leave him with some really bad habits.
the vizcorbel material tutorials are better for his level - they're more about doing a lot with as little as possible, making big effective moves. Grants is more about exact precise control. The issue is if you make materials like that they take 10x longer to render, and if a coworker has to adjust it they will loving hate you.
All you need to take from grant warwicks is how to use the render elements to hunt down noise - and other people had already written that up. Will find a link when I'm not on my phone.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 23, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

Its a little overcomplicated and could leave him with some really bad habits.
the vizcorbel material tutorials are better for his level - they're more about doing a lot with as little as possible, making big effective moves. Grants is more about exact precise control. The issue is if you make materials like that they take 10x longer to render, and if a coworker has to adjust it they will loving hate you.
All you need to take from grant warwicks is how to use the render elements to hunt down noise - and other people had already written that up. Will find a link when I'm not on my phone.

Yeah, I agree in retrospect, the noiseless render settings are pretty much what I was thinking about mostly.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
https://www.cggallery.com/tutorials/vray_optimization
if the first part goes over your head just skip to the optimization procedure and follow those steps every time you come to render.

This is probably a better resource for that. It was written after a discussion on the forums involving vlado and a few others, way before grants videos dropped.
This guy was kinda pissed because grant explains a couple things word for word how this guy does and didn't give credit.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 23, 2014

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

This is probably a better resource for that. It was written after a discussion on the forums involving vlado and a few others, way before grants videos dropped.
This guy was kinda pissed because grant explains a couple things word for word how this guy does and didn't give credit.

I'll check it out first thing in the morning. It looks very helpful with a quick scroll-through.

Sucks he didn't get thanks for the article. Geez, i've just seen him using the same scene Grant uses in his own video. I guess at worst Grant just wanted to show how much he understood the program better than the viewer or something and did some omissions.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Anyone have any experience with MultiScatter? Collision doesn't seem to work at all. It's driving me crazy. :bang:

Basically, poo poo isn't colliding. I have to set it to something like 130% radius before they stop intersecting, and then there are huge holes elsewhere. Only thing's I'm using are flat boxes, one is 50cm square, where the other two are 25cmx50cm.

Anyone have any ideas?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Odddzy posted:

Sucks he didn't get thanks for the article. Geez, i've just seen him using the same scene Grant uses in his own video.

That's actually a peter guthrie scene he shared for everyone to use while they were figuring optimization out - it was shared on the forum a while ago and has become the go-to example scene now. (before this method was even being looked into, it was shared when people were doing BF/BF tests with the vray 3 beta)
I can see why grant glossed over all that though - his tutorials are mostly about materials, the render optimization thing was included just because it was current. plus you cant sell a dvd by saying 'here's a bunch of stuff I learnt from reading pages 4, 7, & 9-12 of this thread here:'

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 25, 2014

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfibGLgD-8

Jesus christ those modelling tools! Instancing!
I am just now watching this. I want to believe that it will be that easy. I really, really want to believe because I've had to do hard surfacing in Max/Maya for maximum accuracy and workability, and this might just be the ticket out of that hellish prison.

The presenters are kinda obnoxious, but this is legitimately fantastic. They earned the right to be.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hazed_blue posted:

The presenters are kinda obnoxious, but this is legitimately fantastic. They earned the right to be.

Yeah, they rub me the wrong way, but then again, it's literally their conference that they threw for themselves to talk about themselves, so I don't know what I expected.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Zbrush guys have carte blanche to be obnoxious, their product is that good.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah, the presentation was obnoxious as hell. I miss when they just released short teaser videos of all the crazy new features for people to get pumped about. It was a slog watching all the ZBrush stuff as much as I like some of the artists presenting there was never a clear idea when they were actually going to show off new stuff of the new version.

Also, as much as I love ZBrush, they still have a ton of things to fix for it to work better in production settings. It's a slippery slope that other packages are still trying to recover from, adding too much bloatware.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 27, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hazed_blue posted:

I was too caught up in what was being shown and the crowd reactions. The cries of outrage and/or joy at some of those ridiculous functions were hilarious. "What! What did he just do to that polygon!?" :psyduck:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

"What! What did he just do to that polygon!?" :psyduck:

Oh my god! Wow! Amazing! He just did something that every other 3d package has been able to do for almost 2 decades now wow! Amazing!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont mock zbrush stockholm syndrome. :downs:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, yeah. Zbrush was so rear end backwards in the beginning, and still is in so many ways. People look at me weird when I'm like "Well, you have to think of Zbrush as a painting program. It's Corel Painter for sculpting. Ok, no, I guess it WANTS to be a paint program, but you sculpt in it..." It's been missing certain simple, simple things for so long that now that they're finally adding them it's amazing all over again!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Hazed_blue posted:

I am just now watching this. I want to believe that it will be that easy. I really, really want to believe because I've had to do hard surfacing in Max/Maya for maximum accuracy and workability, and this might just be the ticket out of that hellish prison.

I am having a hard time figuring out why everyone is going fanboy over this. Looks like a super clunky and lovely way of modeling. Watching the guy suffer for twenty minutes and end up modeling a lovely "couch" was painful. It is going to be a novel way to knock out base shapes in zbrush and thats about it. I don't think it is the "holy poo poo I will never model in anything else ever again!" magic bullet some people seem to hope for.

Then again I never thought I would see people do a standing ovation for bevel/extrude/bridge.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Oh that's exactly why I put a note of skepticism in my post. I like where ZBrush has been headed, but in all honesty I've had a longstanding irritation with the notion of some modelers that believe that previous iterations of this program make traditional modeling packages obsolete, especially when it comes to something like video game assets. I've come across some of the most gorgeous ZBrush models that look pristine at first glance, but become a loving nightmare to edit, change, or iterate on because the artist made the model entirely in ZBrush. Great, it looks sexy, but your decimation has completely screwed our plan to pull some of the parts out for variations. Thanks.

That said, ZBrush's biggest weakness is also its biggest strength: they approach things from an angle almost opposite that of other software packages. If this makes things like control loops and creasing easier, then gimme.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hazed_blue posted:

Oh that's exactly why I put a note of skepticism in my post. I like where ZBrush has been headed, but in all honesty I've had a longstanding irritation with the notion of some modelers that believe that previous iterations of this program make traditional modeling packages obsolete, especially when it comes to something like video game assets. I've come across some of the most gorgeous ZBrush models that look pristine at first glance, but become a loving nightmare to edit, change, or iterate on because the artist made the model entirely in ZBrush. Great, it looks sexy, but your decimation has completely screwed our plan to pull some of the parts out for variations. Thanks.

That said, ZBrush's biggest weakness is also its biggest strength: they approach things from an angle almost opposite that of other software packages. If this makes things like control loops and creasing easier, then gimme.

Wait, people actually use decimated Zbrush models for final assets? I thought it was strictly a concept thing, but anything heading to a game would need to be re-topo'd pretty heavy? Zremesher is nice for organic things but it won't get a face animation-ready because the loops in a face need to be put in there by hand (artisinal, organic, free-range hands)

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

homo punching bag posted:

Wait, people actually use decimated Zbrush models for final assets?
If they're on my team they better drat well not. :mad: We've run into this with external teams for outsourcing before, where everyone's so wow'd by the angelic model in front of them that it's not immediately obvious that this model is a rat's nest in disguise. I hate to be the wet blanket that says, "Yeah, no doubt, it looks incredible, but uh, here's the thing..."

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

echinopsis posted:

poo poo I didn't read this and didn't realise you were already doing an indie game thing

Anyway, unreal owns unity groans. I have faith in you though to make it work though.

Indeed I've never changed my avatar, haha. My buddy used to have another wild things avatar with the other half of the quote, but he changed it to some football thing.

I've switched to UE4 long since I made that post. I've been really busy and ignoring these forums, but UE4 is the poo poo man. Leagues above unity for sure. The more time I spend in UE4 the less time I model though... it's a double edged sword of time management.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Hey cubicle gangster, you mentioned that the only advantage of working in Blender is that it's free, but I have a colleague who wants to switch over to Blender/Cycles from Max/V-ray since he can use the GPU card for rendering animations, especially interiors, since on Max it's painfully slow even with the (admittedly old) farm. Could you please tell me what kind of farm setup would you need to get Max/Vray to render, say, a 1 minute interior clip in a week? And is it possible for the average archviz freelancer to afford to have a Max farm for interior animations?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

I've switched to UE4 long since I made that post. I've been really busy and ignoring these forums, but UE4 is the poo poo man. Leagues above unity for sure. The more time I spend in UE4 the less time I model though... it's a double edged sword of time management.

At the moment I am working hard to make my game easily upgradeable for my own sake, so adding a new pawn doesn't mean adding a new camera every time and making sure settings are the same across everything. Once I'm done with that I am getting hard back into the modelling. I am making life easy for myself too by using a low-poly aesthetic. Because my modelling sucks

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

echinopsis posted:

At the moment I am working hard to make my game easily upgradeable for my own sake, so adding a new pawn doesn't mean adding a new camera every time and making sure settings are the same across everything. Once I'm done with that I am getting hard back into the modelling. I am making life easy for myself too by using a low-poly aesthetic. Because my modelling sucks

Haha, I think I know who you are on the forums, I just left your thread actually! Hopefully you get that worked out, so I can learn from it. Right now I'm just making some functionality and not worrying too much about multiplayer and some of the other things. I have two weapons mostly working (Rifle and Launcher, but I just stole the models and wrote my own blueprints) with a few bugs, and I've got an AI that will spawn when you trigger a box (but he only runs to your location, no attack yet, but he does die if I shoot him). I have third person aim offsets that are barely working, and a right click shoulder cam toggle.

I still have to make a First Person toggle and... well the rest of the game of course. UE4 is bad rear end, and learning it is mostly easy. Blueprints save my life and allow me to do a lot more programming than I could with ASCII text.

Right now I'm just using one of the free Mixamo characters and the mesh/skeleton/animations from the ShooterGame example. I'm stoked I got this far, but as soon as you feel that accomplishment from solving one problem, you're right back to square one solving or creating your next problem.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

Haha, I think I know who you are on the forums, I just left your thread actually!

Haha! yeah the people on there don't seem to love the idea of what I am doing, it seems like the forums is mostly an amateur crew and anyone who actually knows what they are doing isn't posting on those forums. Oh well. And yeah I hope so, because I sorta want to get content making not making it easy for me to add content. At least I've got the very core of my game working and playable. :) Good luck to you! And yeah blueprints are the best poo poo ever! UE4 would be just as good for visualising some real time data or a million other things that aren't games, and those arch/viz examples are very impressive

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hernando posted:

Hey cubicle gangster, you mentioned that the only advantage of working in Blender is that it's free, but I have a colleague who wants to switch over to Blender/Cycles from Max/V-ray since he can use the GPU card for rendering animations, especially interiors, since on Max it's painfully slow even with the (admittedly old) farm. Could you please tell me what kind of farm setup would you need to get Max/Vray to render, say, a 1 minute interior clip in a week? And is it possible for the average archviz freelancer to afford to have a Max farm for interior animations?

You can use the gpu with vray too... I don't think there's much difference there. Personally I don't because of ram/memory limitations. buying a few 12gb graphics cards to have less available memory than I do now... i'd rather just optimize my scene. or get another i7 box.

Honestly it's an open ended question. I have no idea what he expects the frames to look like or what's being rendered.
A 1 minute clip, assuming 24fps and you edit it using previews so there's no wasted frames is 1440 frames. All of our 1080p frames are optimized to render in an hour or less, so assuming worst case scenario for us with just over 160 hours in a week is 9 machines.
we'd never agree to do a 1080p minute long animation in 7 days though. we don't even take on still images with that kind of deadline.
Some people do animations that render in 10 minutes a frame though... so they would only need 2 machines. And what machines?

We have 4 nodes and 2 workstations here (all mid range i7) and I did this by myself in a couple months, all editing and filming included (still images were already done) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtZYloQe0k
cg starts at 20s for the externals, and 45s to 2min 40 for the interiors. couple more exteriors at 3:15.
With good planning I'm happy with 4 boxes and 2 workstations coming into play at night. It was all edited using placeholders, approved by the client and I made sure to get the easiest scenes rendering first and keep an eye on the schedule.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 27, 2014

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

echinopsis posted:

Haha! yeah the people on there don't seem to love the idea of what I am doing, it seems like the forums is mostly an amateur crew and anyone who actually knows what they are doing isn't posting on those forums. Oh well. And yeah I hope so, because I sorta want to get content making not making it easy for me to add content. At least I've got the very core of my game working and playable. :) Good luck to you! And yeah blueprints are the best poo poo ever! UE4 would be just as good for visualising some real time data or a million other things that aren't games, and those arch/viz examples are very impressive

It's weird, sometimes a guru will bust out a great example and basically make your game and fix your issue in no time, other times you get no one. Have you tried also posting on the UE Answers website? You tend to get a little more attention from knowledgeable people there. Also, I've scheduled a "tutor" lesson with that Rama guy for tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it goes. He basically charges by the hour, and he'll skype/screen share/whatever and drill into your game and help you program/script and fix issues, create things(within the engine) etc.

Those arch/viz scenes are sick too... they all start with "it's a lovely render but check it out!" and they all look good. My buddy and I might toy around with making a short movie or a more movie-like game soon, but I've got a lot to learn first.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hernando posted:

http://www.rebusfarm.net/en/?gclid=COzskui8tMACFdBffgodGYYAYg
http://www.renderrocket.com/
https://www.rendercore.com/?gclid=CO3auOm8tMACFYZlfgodB3wAig

There's loads of others out there.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo there's an industry of just HAVING your computer available online? drat.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

You can use the gpu with vray too... I don't think there's much difference there. Personally I don't because of ram/memory limitations. buying a few 12gb graphics cards to have less available memory than I do now... i'd rather just optimize my scene. or get another i7 box.

Honestly it's an open ended question. I have no idea what he expects the frames to look like or what's being rendered.
A 1 minute clip, assuming 24fps and you edit it using previews so there's no wasted frames is 1440 frames. All of our 1080p frames are optimized to render in an hour or less, so assuming worst case scenario for us with just over 160 hours in a week is 9 machines.
we'd never agree to do a 1080p minute long animation in 7 days though. we don't even take on still images with that kind of deadline.
Some people do animations that render in 10 minutes a frame though... so they would only need 2 machines. And what machines?

We have 4 nodes and 2 workstations here (all mid range i7) and I did this by myself in a couple months, all editing and filming included (still images were already done) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtZYloQe0k
cg starts at 20s for the externals, and 45s to 2min 40 for the interiors. couple more exteriors at 3:15.
With good planning I'm happy with 4 boxes and 2 workstations coming into play at night. It was all edited using placeholders, approved by the client and I made sure to get the easiest scenes rendering first and keep an eye on the schedule.

I assumed that V-ray RT isn't for final renders, I've seen people complain that it doesn't have render elements, but in advertisements for V-Ray 3 which has that feature, I've seen it claimed that RT is as good as CPU in terms of aesthetic and also loads faster. I wonder if you've ever used it for that purpose. Aside from the comment about having less available memory which I unfortunately don't understand (why is it eating into system memory if it's separate?), wouldn't it also be more cost effective to buy an i7 box ($1000-2000?) instead of the k6000 12gb graphic cards which are $5000-$6000?
Judging by your video, your company deals with much, much higher end clients. Starting out didn't you ever do Space channel stuff for low-budget projects? I should have thought to include pictures of target quality, here are a couple of screenshots of a 1280x720 animations he did, rendertime in Blender was ~8 minutes a frame, on a computer with two mid-end nVidia cards in cycles. Anyway thank you for your help and quick response!

The agency I work with said they refuse to outsource farms since it would be hundreds or thousands of dollars, and indeed 1440 frames at an hour each would be about 500 dollars at render rocket, but now I wonder whether or not that is so bad, since you would probably be making $3000-5000 an animation. Have you ever done a cost comparison for buying the hardware yourself?

Hernando fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 27, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

It's weird, sometimes a guru will bust out a great example and basically make your game and fix your issue in no time, other times you get no one. Have you tried also posting on the UE Answers website? You tend to get a little more attention from knowledgeable people there. Also, I've scheduled a "tutor" lesson with that Rama guy for tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it goes. He basically charges by the hour, and he'll skype/screen share/whatever and drill into your game and help you program/script and fix issues, create things(within the engine) etc.
poo poo really? yeah let me know how it goes etc. I've tried the answerhub too but maybe I'll check it again. Right now I need help making a camera and then I can get stuck into making some content

quote:

Those arch/viz scenes are sick too... they all start with "it's a lovely render but check it out!" and they all look good. My buddy and I might toy around with making a short movie or a more movie-like game soon, but I've got a lot to learn first.
TO be fair those videos are done with static meshes and static lighting and dynamic lighting will not look like that for a while yet but yeah for real-time flying around they look amazing, I will be really impressed when people get poo poo moving in them too. We should also take this conversation here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947 :shobon:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hernando posted:

Aside from the comment about having less available memory which I unfortunately don't understand

The scene has to fit into GPU memory if you're using a gpu render. most cards dont have much, and our machines when not doing gpu renders have 32gb - we've got scenes that use 28gb. it's bringing back a memory limit which we left years ago.
I would think you could render those images in around 10 minutes a frame on an i7 with vray
Honestly if blender is working then there's no reason to switch anything up. trying to do a cost analysis of tools which at this point only have subtle differences is a nightmare, and most of the vray & max -> blender/gpu differences come into play when you increase the scale of everything (scenes, complexity, budget, etc)

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

The scene has to fit into GPU memory if you're using a gpu render. most cards dont have much, and our machines when not doing gpu renders have 32gb - we've got scenes that use 28gb. it's bringing back a memory limit which we left years ago.
I would think you could render those images in around 10 minutes a frame on an i7 with vray
Honestly if blender is working then there's no reason to switch anything up. trying to do a cost analysis of tools which at this point only have subtle differences is a nightmare, and most of the vray & max -> blender/gpu differences come into play when you increase the scale of everything (scenes, complexity, budget, etc)

Blender is working for him, but I'm trying to convince him to stick to Max since I am having a headache trying to get used to Blender. The guy who runs the agency wants us on InteriCAD and that's something we neither want. Anyway, thank you for such prompt help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW

KiddieGrinder posted:

Anyone have any experience with MultiScatter? Collision doesn't seem to work at all. It's driving me crazy. :bang:

Basically, poo poo isn't colliding. I have to set it to something like 130% radius before they stop intersecting, and then there are huge holes elsewhere. Only thing's I'm using are flat boxes, one is 50cm square, where the other two are 25cmx50cm.

Anyone have any ideas?
I don't use 3ds or auto scatter but I'd guess that's a bounding object problem? Maybe set to actual geometry?