Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It does. But it is so, so boring to actually do.

I'll agree there. The results can be rad but the actual work can be tedious as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, but Pintsize can just be a cool observer flying around in miniature relating stuff up to the people who then have to spend all the months figuring it out.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Would it kill you to even TRY punching out cancer Hector?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Exactly. Punch out off of Alison's Dad's cancer, and she'll probably sleep punch out bad guys with you!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hahaha, I love Alison's response in that last panel. :allears: There's a lot she's doing wrong, but at least she isn't giving up because it's hard.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Also, taking the moral high-ground by not accepting back pay is OBVIOUSLY much better than taking the money and donating it to any charities. You know, like cancer research or something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Atmus posted:

Also, taking the moral high-ground by not accepting back pay is OBVIOUSLY much better than taking the money and donating it to any charities. You know, like cancer research or something.
Maybe the author will have Hector use the money for something charitable (like helping Brad get his group started) since Alison is riding the high horse right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hahaha, I love Alison's response in that last panel. :allears: There's a lot she's doing wrong, but at least she isn't giving up because it's hard.

I can kind of see where Hector's coming from, though. He's got a gift, to be sure, but does that make him obligated to do something he hates (or at least, doesn't enjoy) for the rest of his life? If what Feral is doing had a similar level of impact to what Hector could do, would it be an obligation? He's definitely being whiny (particularly because as others have said, he really could just make himself available as an observer for scientists, without doing the mountains of grunt work involved with science, and he hasn't put in the effort to figure out some way to contribute that isn't also miserable.

But then again, while Alison is certainly better about that than Hector, it does still kind of feel like she's trying to make a villain out of the world's problems, that she can punch in the face and just be done with. A bunch of small efforts don't solve those issues, to be sure, but being part of a volunteer fire department still feels like selling her abilities short.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Lord of Hats posted:

But then again, while Alison is certainly better about that than Hector, it does still kind of feel like she's trying to make a villain out of the world's problems, that she can punch in the face and just be done with. A bunch of small efforts don't solve those issues, to be sure, but being part of a volunteer fire department still feels like selling her abilities short.

Being a firefighter is pretty unambiguously good, unlike say, law enforcement.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well the difference here is that she can't seem to find a application for her abilities to change the world, but Hectors definitively have application for that or at least she sees it that way.

I think it's more of the fact that she thinks her abilities are ultimately worthless in regard to truly helping people.

She is riding pretty high on that horse as if she is the only one with moral authority.

What Feral did was basically self martyrdom to the point of masochism.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 28, 2014

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Fire just wants to be free, man.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Male Man posted:

Fire just wants to be free, man.

Fire's freedom ends at my property line boy. :bahgawd:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Fire's freedom ends at my property line boy. :bahgawd:

The fire was coming right at me! You all saw it!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's not that it's not good, it's that it feels a bit like a token effort. I mean, she's doing a good thing, but she could certainly do more. She doesn't *have* to, but she's been pushing others--in this case Hector--to try to find a way to use their powers to enact lasting good, when she isn't really doing that herself. She's pushing them in the right direction, to be sure, but it's frustrating that it's kind of "do as I say, not as I do".

That said, I really do hope that Hector is able to come around on all of this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's not that it's not good, it's that it feels a bit like a token effort. I mean, she's doing a good thing, but she could certainly do more. She doesn't *have* to, but she's been pushing others--in this case Hector--to try to find a way to use their powers to enact lasting good, when she isn't really doing that herself. She's pushing them in the right direction, to be sure, but it's frustrating that it's kind of "do as I say, not as I do".

That said, I really do hope that Hector is able to come around on all of this.

The only time we have ever seen her directly push someone to do something with their powers is right now, with Hector. Alison very explicitly doesn't feel comfortable telling people what to do, her influence has primarily been exerted indirectly and by example.

And I think the main reason she feels comfortable pushing Hector to do something now is because he is in Despondent Sad Sack Mode and will need to find a new direction in life regardless.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
How is she even pushing him? He's all down about not being able to do good as a part of the Guardians. She's pointing out that he can be a hero in other ways.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You said the magic words!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

"I wanna be Pintsize, not some guy!"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

"I wanna be Pintsize, not some guy!"

That's a legit thing to want. The question is, how can he best be that person?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ffffffuck off Hector.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

While Hector's parting line does ring true, it's a bit rich coming from him seeng as she just told him a way he can be better than a superhero and he didn't want to because it wasn't fun enough.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

While Hector's parting line does ring true,

I dunno, that line comes across as awfully whiny and petulant to me.

"You've been in college two whole years and haven't changed the world yet, might as well just give up."

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
If this sequence ends with Hector literally beating up Alison's dad's cancer, I will laugh my rear end off.

"I didn't even do it for him! I just did it to rub your face in it!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, that line comes across as awfully whiny and petulant to me.

"You've been in college two whole years and haven't changed the world yet, might as well just give up."

Yeah, I don't know many undergrads that do jack or poo poo until their senior year, where you discover which ones are going to grad school and which ones are taking their degrees and leaving. Hector's demonstrating the same problem Alison has, and acknowledges: He wants something big and flashy that KOs the world's problems in one hit. Alison's at least aware that that is going to take a lot of work.

He still reeks of someone that you slap and tell to grow up.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if I lived in a universe with superpowers I'd put nonzero credence in the idea that there is a way to use those superpowers for much more effective good than what seems most immediately practical

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah his line about " I'd be just a okay scientist" is crazy insane talk, you can shrink down and observe events etc.. etc.. That's just being whiny, his whole argument is " Science is hard, Math is hard, I'd just be okay at them" why bother.

I mean everyone even basically admits that all the supervillians are pretty much gone. Also, the mystery of why those kids are dead the ones that didn't develope into super powers has never been explained.

Like I really hope that makes an appearance, a lot of people may have forgotten about but theres a sub plot that I don't think ever went anywhere that people with useful world changing powers were killed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hollismason posted:

Yeah his line about " I'd be just a okay scientist" is crazy insane talk, you can shrink down and observe events etc.. etc.. That's just being whiny, his whole argument is " Science is hard, Math is hard, I'd just be okay at them" why bother.

I mean everyone even basically admits that all the supervillians are pretty much gone. Also, the mystery of why those kids are dead the ones that didn't develope into super powers has never been explained.

Like I really hope that makes an appearance, a lot of people may have forgotten about but theres a sub plot that I don't think ever went anywhere that people with useful world changing powers were killed.

It's disappeared in part because no one but Alison and Patrick know about it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's disappeared in part because no one but Alison and Patrick know about it.

And Patrick is both more motivated and far better equipped to investigate it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pintsize, you stupid piece of poo poo, I could do so much ecological and biological research out in the field with shrinkydink powers, you have no idea. Yeah, writing stuff down is part of science, but so is seeing super-rad stuff that Joe Sixpack will never see! You are everything that is wrong with the public perception of science.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait the last story was Patrick heavy wasn't it, Patricks really interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Allison's main problem is that in situations that don't involve lifting heavy things/punching/intercepting bullets, she's no better than any normal person at solving problems. If she doesn't want to go learn architecture and become a construction worker, Pintsize is just as justified in not wanting to become a cheap microscope substitute.

Sure is convenient that the supervillains dried up when she quit the biz.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pintsize is just as justified in not wanting to become a cheap microscope substitute.

lol, you're dumber than Pintsize if you think that's even the slightest extent of what he could use his powers for. It's not even close.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Call it selfish or immature but hey man, dude doesn't want to be a scientist, that's fair. He learned just enough to pilot a tiny ship and be a superhero, but just 'cause he can go observe cells doesn't mean that's his passion.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

i think she quit after they put them all in jail

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Allison's main problem is that in situations that don't involve lifting heavy things/punching/intercepting bullets, she's no better than any normal person at solving problems. If she doesn't want to go learn architecture and become a construction worker, Pintsize is just as justified in not wanting to become a cheap microscope substitute.

But that is exactly what she's doing with firefighting, she's better than a normal person at not getting killed by a collapsing building.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Call it selfish or immature but hey man, dude doesn't want to be a scientist, that's fair. He learned just enough to pilot a tiny ship and be a superhero, but just 'cause he can go observe cells doesn't mean that's his passion.

Archaeology. Geology. Geography. Disaster relief, in that he can go places that a human-sized person would collapse. As noted, scientific observer, so he doesn't need to do the "boring" part of science, which is such a dumb, terrible excuse. Medical science and doctorin'.

The only thing limiting Hector is that he has a child's idea of what he can do with his powers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

rotinaj posted:

The only thing limiting Hector is that he has a child's idea of what he can do with his powers.

Which, hilariously, could be fixed if he went to college. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I want more dudes like the fashion designer to come in with their radical stance of "who gives a poo poo if you have super powers, just do what you want in life" instead of twenty-somethings whining at each other for not saving the world correctly.

Obviously all of Hector's problems would be fixed if he just started writing trashy superhero comics about it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hector becomes a spy, surely that's exciting enough?

Or maybe go into showbiz

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The comment section is up.

God help us all.

• Locked thread