Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Personally I'm most excited about racing as Isabelle, but her DLC is the further one away :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Chronojam posted:

Never ended up beating the DS DK game either because it was some bullshit, after the rest of the game was a piece of cake. Now you've got me worried about this new game.

Tropical Freeze is fun, but if you get it you should probably resign yourself to the fact that the final boss is impossible because I found the 3DS game final boss much easier :(

I guess I'll have to start actually buying power-ups or whatever. I really just want to move on!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, give up and buy the extra heart. You'll need it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Never ended up beating the DS DK game either because it was some bullshit, after the rest of the game was a piece of cake. Now you've got me worried about this new game.

It's pretty rough, but the annoying bit is that he's really easy to miss during his vulnerable phase and then he repeats a very, very long attack cycle. It's easy to get sick of.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I beat the final boss. You can do it, just keep pushing yourself.

E: now some of these temple levels on the other hand :getin:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Aperture Priority posted:

MK8 DLC packs are available! :woop: racing as colored yoshis and shy guys!

Wait, they released some early?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
^^^edit: No, but preordering both packs will give you a whole bunch of Yoshi and Shy Guy alt colors.

Austrian mook posted:

I beat the final boss. You can do it, just keep pushing yourself.

E: now some of these temple levels on the other hand :getin:

The final boss is not very hard, but he becomes tedious much faster than any of the temple levels.

I refuse to get the gold medal on 6-K, though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Katsuhiro Harada posted:

Guys, Don't worry about that.
It's not only Fighting-type
source

Hoping for Snorlax. :)

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

noirstronaut posted:

Wait, they released some early?

I should have clarified. Available for preorder, but you do get the different colored yoshis and shy guys now. As well as portraits of the new characters that you can't use yet. :(

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Aperture Priority posted:

I should have clarified. Available for preorder, but you do get the different colored yoshis and shy guys now. As well as portraits of the new characters that you can't use yet. :(

You get portraits even if you didn't buy it. It links you to the store!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Moriatti posted:

source

Hoping for Snorlax. :)

I demand ghost types that are immune to all fighting and normal attacks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So what's the trick for getting the Wii Mode to do progressive scan on games? I thought it was something to do with setting the WiiU's resolution to 480p and then launching a game in the Wii Mode but looking at the screen when testing Prime Trilogy the game is definitely displaying in stretched 4:3 nor does it look as good as I remembered with progressive scan on my original Wii.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

The final boss is not very hard, but he becomes tedious much faster than any of the temple levels.

I refuse to get the gold medal on 6-K, though.

I actually thought Tropical Freeze's final boss, while tedious, was much easier than the one in Returns. Having to do a bullshit rocket barrel segment before even getting to fight him was awful.

I just started unlocking/playing the temple levels and Bopopolis is loving impossible, holy poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kinda old, but the DLC for NSMB2 was really expansive and deep. Tons of level packs that were way better than the regular levels in the game.

The Fire Emblem DLC was alright. Lots of money and exp. Tons of side stories with characters from previous games. Harder than the regular game DLC maps, too.

They were both good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Kinda old, but the DLC for NSMB2 was really expansive and deep. Tons of level packs that were way better than the regular levels in the game.

The Coin Rush packs were expensive. $2.50 for 3 levels, and they were only available in Coin Rush mode.

9 packs, 27 levels, $22.50. Plus the 3 level "Gold Classics Pack" which was free. I think it actually cost a cent or two more to buy the level packs in a bundle, as there was no discount.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

From memory the bundles were like 50c cheaper, and i'm sure there was another level pack that was free, because I only remember paying for 8 of them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm 60 cents away from $5.00 digital credit. I don't suppose there's a way to buy half the bundle before the other half but still get the discount?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Bruceski posted:

I'm 60 cents away from $5.00 digital credit. I don't suppose there's a way to buy half the bundle before the other half but still get the discount?

Nope, http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/ specifically says if you buy them separately you pay $7.99 each.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

the DLC hasn't shown up on the DDP site for me, I sure hope I don't have to wait for it to come out to get points.

Well, more like I sure hope I get points!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

the DLC hasn't shown up on the DDP site for me, I sure hope I don't have to wait for it to come out to get points.

Well, more like I sure hope I get points!

It usually takes a little over 24 hours for your purchases to be registered by the DPP website.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fremry posted:

It's more like the Playstation all over again. The only reason they are doing Amiibo is because Activision came to them with the concept of Skylanders and an offer of exclusivity. Nintendo passed, ate crow, and are trying to undo a bad decision.

Here's a (mobile) article about it. Sorry for the mobile, I'm on my phone.
Doesn't that make it more like the CD-I, then?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

My realistic expectations are that they will eventually create figures of about 2/3 of the Smash Bros. roster before discontinuing the concept. It's the eReader all over again.

Oh, they'll all come out in Japan, but they'll be region locked and everywhere else will only get what's been shown already plus a couple more. Nintendo fans will forever be perplexed by, and complain about Wii Fit Trainer getting an Amiibo but not Ness.

I will end up owning six Wii Fit Trainer Amiibos because they will be on clearance at target for three bucks a piece and how can I pass that up

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How much will the Amiibos be when they come out? I remember reading $20 but that seems way too high.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I think the only thing we've heard is "comparable to Skylanders", which is like ~$10 a pop if I remember right?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Artix posted:

I think the only thing we've heard is "comparable to Skylanders", which is like ~$10 a pop if I remember right?

Oof, it depends. Classic Skylanders are $10, yes. However, some of the more recent Skylanders figures have been bigger or have had an extra bit of functionality to them and those usually go for $12/$16.

I really hope the Amiibos end up costing €10, at least. :ohdear:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 28, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One of the more credible but probably still bullshit rumours floating around is that Nintendo and Monster Games (Excite Truck/Excitebots) are bringing back Diddy Kong Racing and filling the roster with second-string Nintendo characters as a means of increasing the number of characters they can turn into Amiibos.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One of the more credible but probably still bullshit rumours floating around is that Nintendo and Monster Games (Excite Truck/Excitebots) are bringing back Diddy Kong Racing and filling the roster with second-string Nintendo characters as a means of increasing the number of characters they can turn into Amiibos.

Finally a game Ridley can appear in.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I think a big thing to remember about Amiibos is that they're more comparable to Disney Infinity characters than Skylanders. Kids who don't even own a game they're compatible with are going to see their favorite characters on the shelf at the store and want to get them/the associated games. Well, unless they handle it like Pokemon Rumble U.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The Amiibo thing confuses me. On one hand it sounds a really neat idea that the creative minds at Nintendo can really take advantage of, on the other, it sounds like a blatant cash grab attempt. Then again, Nintendo is good at selling peripherals of questionable usefulness. :v:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like that the new Mario Kart 8 update defaults the post-race cursor to "next race" instead of "view highlights"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Gutcruncher posted:

I like that the new Mario Kart 8 update defaults the post-race cursor to "next race" instead of "view highlights"

This is better than all the new karts put together.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Starhawk64 posted:

The Amiibo thing confuses me. On one hand it sounds a really neat idea that the creative minds at Nintendo can really take advantage of, on the other, it sounds like a blatant cash grab attempt. Then again, Nintendo is good at selling peripherals of questionable usefulness. :v:

Oh it's absolutely a cash grab and I get the feeling Nintendo is hitting themselves for not taking Ubisoft up on it and are now trying to make up ground.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's a cash grab in as much as creating products to sell to customers is a cash grab.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No... not the silver coin races! I'll be good, I promise, just don't make me collect silver coins again :gonk:.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I really don't see how they fully developed the e-Reader, released cards for it for maybe a year and then just kind of dropped the whole thing. Cards are like the cheapest things to produce, they have collectable appeal even if you don't have an e-Reader, but yet they just sort of ended it all abruptly. If that's what they did with trading cards that had special barcodes, I don't really have a whole lot of faith for their happy meal toys with NFC chips.

And what if the fad dies out? Guess it's too little, too late then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Because they didn't have collectible appeal. They sold like poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gay skull posted:

I really don't see how they fully developed the e-Reader, released cards for it for maybe a year and then just kind of dropped the whole thing. Cards are like the cheapest things to produce, they have collectable appeal even if you don't have an e-Reader, but yet they just sort of ended it all abruptly. If that's what they did with trading cards that had special barcodes, I don't really have a whole lot of faith for their happy meal toys with NFC chips.

And what if the fad dies out? Guess it's too little, too late then.

The difference is the cards required an adapter that no-one bought. The Amiibo's work with the gamepad that is a part of every single WiiU console.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I wouldn't buy an e-reader but I could see myself buying neat little figures of Link and Samus that do stuff in Wii U game(s)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I wanted a Nintendo figure I'd probably just spring for one of the figmas and I don't think they're gonna be that great to play with but they certainly have more collectible appeal than a cheap piece of cardboard with a render of tom nook on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference is the cards required an adapter that no-one bought. The Amiibo's work with the gamepad that is a part of every single WiiU console.
An adapter and if you were loading cards into Super Mario 3 or whatever instead of just playing the standalone ereader games, another GBA and a link cable. It was a real dumb system.

• Locked thread