Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skandranon posted:

The ziplines idea is neat... it just seems incredibly dangerous. Using those once a day is making it likely that eventually, you have a catastrophic accident. We never hear about the 1% of times Batman misses his grappling hook and breaks both his legs and shoulder...

That's because with Batman, there is no 1%. He never misses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Wiseblood posted:

The key to surviving Lifeline is to equip as many people as you can with grenade launchers. Since AI controlled characters have infinite ammo, during sieges you can practically sit back and watch the fireworks.

Is there any kind of list of best-to-worst AI equipped weapons, or is it just "is it a grenade launcher?"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

chitoryu12 posted:

That's because with Batman, there is no 1%. He never misses.

Ok, new zombie survival strategy: Be Batman

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

S.T.C.A. posted:

Is there any kind of list of best-to-worst AI equipped weapons, or is it just "is it a grenade launcher?"

I think this only works because grenade launcher ammo is SO rare the grenade launcher is relatively powerful. Once you give it to the AI, they have unlimited ammo, so it becomes somewhat game breaking. Shotguns would be a close second, as they can knockdown even ferals, which would help a lot during base defense missions. After that, probably all pretty equal...

Also, this is ONLY for base defense. DO NOT take an AI with a grenade launcher with you anywhere.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I would only ever bring an AI out with me if I could switch to them, pack mule them up, and switch back over. But it just sends them home instead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Skandranon posted:

Ok, new zombie survival strategy: Be Batman

But does Batman's no kill policy extend to the living dead? If so, terrible choice.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tommofork posted:

But does Batman's no kill policy extend to the living dead? If so, terrible choice.

He somehow manages to take down Superman with that rule, so I think he'll be fine handling a bunch of idiot zombies. Besides, he that rule is something he barely pays lip service to, he's obviously gotten people killed due to his actions. He'll figure out a way to rationalize whatever needs to be done.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I thought there was a cool new mod posted or a big patch release but instead it's a bunch of loving nerds being loving nerds.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Skandranon posted:

The ziplines idea is neat... it just seems incredibly dangerous. Using those once a day is making it likely that eventually, you have a catastrophic accident. We never hear about the 1% of times Batman misses his grappling hook and breaks both his legs and shoulder...

I mean heavy duty cabling that is secured at both ends *by hand*. I'm not talking ridiculous spear gun bullshit.. that's physically impossible.

It would be funny though if they made a game just like the one I guess we all want, except it's realistic. Everyone fails at their own little fantasy and it ends up being a backpacking sim with the occasional RUN THE gently caress AWAY!!! As it stands this game is kind of proof in concept.

They do really need to expand upon the game more and make it exploration open world, no objectives except survive zombie game. Project zomboid is an example of this, sad thing is it seems it's the best we can do at the moment (it's a sprite based isometric game).

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 27, 2014

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wiseblood posted:

Search industrial warehouses for machine cutting blades. Hedge shears, pirate cutlasses, and falchions are pretty good as well.
I start searching the industrial warehouse, and of course the first thing I find is a longsword. Wait, what? State of Decay, you are now Dark Souls!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tommofork posted:

So once again Batman gets more people killed because he's too much of a broken person to just kill someone (or in this case, something)

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Batman always breaks his rule for a good reason. And typically he uses a loophole of some kind.

So Breakdown is the best one of the three? As in it has the biggest map and the most features?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 28, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sober posted:

So once again Batman gets more people killed because he's too much of a broken person to just kill someone (or in this case, something)

It would never become a zombie apocalypse because Batman would have already made a cure.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

NeoSeeker posted:

Batman always breaks his rule for a good reason. And typically he uses a loophole of some kind.

Is breakdown a big open world? Or is the original a bigger world? Lifeline was utterly underwhelming with its constricted and pretty barren world. It was well made, it just seemed way too claustrophobic to the point where it feels like there are just 5-7 areas of small to medium size with not much in them. I only ask because I don't want to start up a new game only to be disappoint.

I can draw out lifeline just fine. The mechanics are all there and there's plenty of room to screw around and ignore the "extract now" option.. even though the fact that it's constant looming over my head brings the experience down a notch.

Breakdown uses the same Trumbull County map as the main story.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Whistling mines are the most useless thing I have ever seen.

They make noise for 20 seconds, which is great as it attracts even aggro zombies, but the thing is they only notice it once, and when they get near it they forget about it and wander off following a butterfly or something.

I just watched 20 zombies beeline for it and slowly shuffle off out of range. Bonus is the sound spawns in more zombies than it even kills.

This was only at breakdown 5.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

NeoSeeker posted:

They do really need to expand upon the game more and make it exploration open world, no objectives except survive zombie game. Project zomboid is an example of this, sad thing is it seems it's the best we can do at the moment (it's a sprite based isometric game).

Sorry to continue the derail, but if you're interested in a zombie apocalypse game with open world exploration and no (current) objectives other than survival (since you also mentioned PZ), you should really check out 7 Days to Die if you already haven't.

I need to sit down and play Lifeline sometime soon. I got it when it came out and then decided to wait until it was patched. Did they clean it up at all? I was hitting some bugs maybe an hour into it that just made me say "nope."

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bruteman posted:

Sorry to continue the derail, but if you're interested in a zombie apocalypse game with open world exploration and no (current) objectives other than survival (since you also mentioned PZ), you should really check out 7 Days to Die if you already haven't.

The main problem with 7D2D (not that it's bad, it's good, kinda... I am a fan), is it's currently too easy to survive. Once you get a hang of the game, it takes less than a week (in game time, 2-3h real life) to climb the tech tree, have enough food to last forever, and be living in an impenetrable concrete bunker. The combat model is really rough, which makes it hard for them to ramp up the threat of the zombies without it feeling ridiculously unfair and unfun, whereas in State of Decay, they can quite easily, as shown in Breakdown.

Project Zomboid is poo poo... Kings Quest had a better user interface.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Said it once, I'll say it again: Project Zomboid is a good game hidden behind a trash UI.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I went back to PZ a week or two ago and there has been some modest improvement in the UI. I do mean modest though, if you hated it before this won't change your mind, it's more a bit of polish that will please those who either fought through it or didn't mind it to begin with.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

I went back to PZ a week or two ago and there has been some modest improvement in the UI. I do mean modest though, if you hated it before this won't change your mind, it's more a bit of polish that will please those who either fought through it or didn't mind it to begin with.

It feels like SimCity + zombie survival. It feels boring, and there is no satisfaction in combat, it is just insanely frustrating and not worth the bother.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What about that Dead State? I remember loving tons of :circlefap:zombie apocalypse games should be about community more than caving in zombie heads, every other zombie game ever is WRONG AND BAD:circlefap:, they faded down quite a bit after a while until the game finally hit Early Access, but the :circlefap: never picked up over it again and just never hear anything about it now.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

What about that Dead State? I remember loving tons of :circlefap:zombie apocalypse games should be about community more than caving in zombie heads, every other zombie game ever is WRONG AND BAD:circlefap:, they faded down quite a bit after a while until the game finally hit Early Access, but the :circlefap: never picked up over it again and just never hear anything about it now.

The early access was basically just a demo with not much to do, so there really wasn't much to say about it. Although, I looked it up a minute ago and apparently there was a massive update for it just yesterday. Maybe it's worth checking out now?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Croccers posted:

This just in: almost all zombie games turn into vaporware or never make it out of alpha these days.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Project zomboid is incredibly boring. I say this only because I played the poo poo out of it. Yet I still play cortex command more. And I've been playing the poo poo out of CC for nearly if not more than a decade.

Although with multi Zomboid is probably the best zombie game out right now.

Also to the guy wondering if lifeline is clean, Yes it seems to be. The only bug I have come across is a random crash here and there. But due to the autosave system (my SSD and fast processors help a bit) it's not really bad considering how infrequently they happen.

One thing about this game everyone should know. Turn on v-sync.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 28, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Skandranon posted:

The main problem with 7D2D (not that it's bad, it's good, kinda... I am a fan), is it's currently too easy to survive. Once you get a hang of the game, it takes less than a week (in game time, 2-3h real life) to climb the tech tree, have enough food to last forever, and be living in an impenetrable concrete bunker.

But wait, is State of Decay giving you a heartily challenging experience, though? Maybe it's just me, but my State of Decay experience sounds pretty similar to your 7D2D experience. :shrug:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

But wait, is State of Decay giving you a heartily challenging experience, though? Maybe it's just me, but my State of Decay experience sounds pretty similar to your 7D2D experience. :shrug:

SoD has way less/different sandbox mechanics than 7D2D, that's pretty much the main thing in my eyes (i.e. it is Minecraft with Zombies and Guns and Generally Alright Physics).

No vehicles yet, which is why I'm reading this thread right now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

TheTofuShop posted:

Some people think Lifeline is really hard. I got kind of bored with it part way through, but I'm going back to do the whole thing just to see if there is a point at which it gets magically harder. I don't think it's coming, but we'll see.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I keep hearing this game endorsed by Burnie Burns of Rooster Teeth fame. It's dirt cheap today on steam. Do people here like it very much? Obviously the thread is still chugging along so I assume yes, but I guess what I mean to ask is: does it live up to the hype?

EDIT: and are the DLCs must-haves?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Radio Talmudist posted:

I keep hearing this game endorsed by Burnie Burns of Rooster Teeth fame. It's dirt cheap today on steam. Do people here like it very much? Obviously the thread is still chugging along so I assume yes, but I guess what I mean to ask is: does it live up to the hype?

EDIT: and are the DLCs must-haves?

For $5.00 I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's not perfect, but it does do a lot of things right.

The Breakdown DLC is a must have in my opinion. It removes all the story elements to make things more of a sandbox and it lets you "leave" the valley with an RV which is essentially just resetting the map and increasing the difficulty. That doesn't sound like much, but once you start getting around level 5 or 6 you really have to be more cautious with how you approach things. Lifeline isn't necessary, but it takes place on a new (although much smaller) map, has you playing as the military with much more focus on gunplay and rescuing civilians, and isn't a bad change of pace.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Well I bought it. If it sucks, I'm out $6.79

So this better be a goddamned masterpiece.

In all seriousness I'm definitely attracted to the base-building elements of this game. Can't wait to see how it's executed.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I think that is the best part about a zombie survival game. Making bases, building them and supplying them. An open-world game with no objectives except survive makes for pretty much the ultimate, most replayable, most open ended game evah.

So this is as close as you can get to that insofar. Unless you want to suffer through zomboid or something else. 7 Days to Die might be better but I have yet to try. I'll snatch it on a sale. Last I heard though it was kinda bad.

Fake Edit:
\/ of course there are probably a bunch of great zombie survival rougelikes. Also 7 Days to Die does look a bit better than this. It's probably because of the FPS viewmode. The voxel based world and base building helps a lot. The FOV view model really bugs me though, it looks warped and the animations are stiff. Is it going to get multiplayer?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 29, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably argue that Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead is the current leader for functionality in a zombie survival game, but it's a roguelike so... duh? Also because it's a roguelike it's probably not what most folks are looking for.

7D2D is probably the closest I've seen to a FPS version of CDDA but it still is lacking in features. Depends what they do with vehicles, really. Being able to build your own zombie destruction derby car in CDDA is amazing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

NeoSeeker posted:

Fake Edit:
\/ of course there are probably a bunch of great zombie survival rougelikes. Also 7 Days to Die does look a bit better than this. It's probably because of the FPS viewmode. The voxel based world and base building helps a lot. The FOV view model really bugs me though, it looks warped and the animations are stiff. Is it going to get multiplayer?

Funny you mention the zombie animation, since the next big update for 7D2D is supposedly going to be giving the zombies motion-captured animation so that they're not so static and stiff.

7D2D also already has multiplayer; in fact, the thread for it in PGS is way more active than the Games forum one (Skan can probably speak more to that as I've never touched MP).

The game is still in alpha and has a long way to go, but it's hooked me the same way Minecraft survival mode in its alpha did. It's not like MC where you can just carry a few blocks to throw up around you at night to survive, the zombies in 7D2D will actively try to tear poo poo down to get to you (this can be exploited though, if you build something on stilts/pillars or burrow deep underground you are 99% safe - they're promising better AI for the zombies down the road).

You know how in zombie movies the protagonists at some point try to barricade themselves in somewhere, and when the zombies attack they're half trying to fight them off and half trying to repair what they're hiding in? 7D2D does that experience really, really well. I never feel like I'm truly fighting for my life in SoD, but I do in 7D2D :shrug:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

TheTofuShop posted:

Not exactly, I got bored of Breakdown well before I started losing people or really found the combat particularly hard, though I feel I am fairly good at it. But there are many moments where things come together to make for tense moments, even for the best of us. And it is satisfying. What I meant is that there IS a mechanism for ratcheting up the difficulty where it is still enjoyable, as shown by how much we all DO like the challenges presented in Breakdown. The depth in combat makes what you do for 90% of the game entertaining.

In 7D2D, the combat is pitifully easy, and boring. Once you've hit a zombie in the face with a sledgehammer, you've peaked, and you'll just do the EXACT same maneuver a thousand more times.

Though, do not take my criticism as a sign that the game is bad. This is just where the two differ. If we had the combat model and enemies from SoD and the more open, builder friendly aspects of 7D2D, it would be pretty close to the game we all want and have wanted for some time.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Are there any mods that decrease the time a whistling box mine emits noise? I'll plant one, it attracts zombies, but they lose interest before the drat thing cooks off.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bruteman posted:

Funny you mention the zombie animation, since the next big update for 7D2D is supposedly going to be giving the zombies motion-captured animation so that they're not so static and stiff.

7D2D also already has multiplayer; in fact, the thread for it in PGS is way more active than the Games forum one (Skan can probably speak more to that as I've never touched MP).

The game is still in alpha and has a long way to go, but it's hooked me the same way Minecraft survival mode in its alpha did. It's not like MC where you can just carry a few blocks to throw up around you at night to survive, the zombies in 7D2D will actively try to tear poo poo down to get to you (this can be exploited though, if you build something on stilts/pillars or burrow deep underground you are 99% safe - they're promising better AI for the zombies down the road).

You know how in zombie movies the protagonists at some point try to barricade themselves in somewhere, and when the zombies attack they're half trying to fight them off and half trying to repair what they're hiding in? 7D2D does that experience really, really well. I never feel like I'm truly fighting for my life in SoD, but I do in 7D2D :shrug:

If nothing else, 7D2D has random world generation in now. As a bonus it's made surviving much harder. No more turning into a golden zombie slaying god in two hours. Now you actually have to work to survive.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Archonex posted:

If nothing else, 7D2D has random world generation in now. As a bonus it's made surviving much harder. No more turning into a golden zombie slaying god in two hours. Now you actually have to work to survive.

You have to work a bit harder... but not much. There is no premade farm from which you can simply stockpile infinite food, but it's by no means 'hard'.

To speak to the multiplayer aspect: this is 7D2D strongest point, insofar as it is generally rewarding to work together towards the goal of surviving. However, the only enemy worth considering is other human players, as zombies become background noise much too quickly. In SoD, they pose more interesting challenges throughout. Even if there was PvP in SoD, you'd still have to be careful about noise and watch for ferals. That sense of tension only exists in 7D2D when hunting other humans in PvP, never when playing single player or when only your friends are online.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So they announced the "Year One Survival Edition" version of the game for XBox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2bSE3sA5w

Hopefully the new additions make their way to the PC version.

EDIT: It's coming to PC too. Nothing about a possible upgrade path yet though.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 29, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cool, I'm into it. The game could look prettier, and more variety of missions would be cool.

I still want the sequel like I mentioned in my last post, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
We all want the sequel, and I'm sure they want to make it as well. We are in a strange new world of gaming though... things are being milked longer than ever, because they can. 10 years ago, it would be absurd to port it from system to system, or release DLCs like they do, but now it is the standard business model. I would expect a PS4 port as well, except Microsoft would never allow it.

I don't know how to feel about this new world... it is good in a lot of ways, but sometimes it feels like some magic has been lost.

• Locked thread