Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

and the oppression olympians race on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Hell a live bullet nearly killed me while games journalism.. no medal, nothing, 3 retweets is all I got

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's like some bizarro world where suddenly Kotaku is attempting to institute some form of ethics for those who work under its umbrella and everyone at competing sites are trying to disparage them for it.

Something that no other journalistic media is without (ideally).

so is the ethics part in that picture a reference to something

suesehT
Nov 18, 2000

Suben posted:

tbf it wasn't just "not playing games" but the fact she was stealing footage from other peoples LPs and then trying to say it was her own gameplay footage.

Where did she say this?

Even if she did take LP footage. It's pretty normal to ask to use that footage in private. Getting good footage of gameplay is a loving time sink.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Paladinus posted:

Ruth Benedict has never been to Japan, yet her The Chrysanthemum and the Sword: Patterns of Japanese Culture is still one of the most influential anthropological studies on the subject. Just think about it.

Knowing nothing about this, how did her work become so influential with her seemingly never had personal experiance with the culture in the first place? How did she study it exactly?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

suesehT posted:

Where did she say this?

Even if she did take LP footage. It's pretty normal to ask to use that footage in private. Getting good footage of gameplay is a loving time sink.

kickstarter stretch goal which she met

or just a general goal of her kickstarter

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Knowing nothing about this, how did her work become so influential with her seemingly never had personal experiance with the culture in the first place? How did she study it exactly?

Literature, visual art, newspapers, interviews with Japanese people living in America, etc. She did so well, in fact, the book was very well-received even in Japan and sold millions of copies there since. The reason behind it, of course, is that Ruth Benedict was an actual anthropologist and even when describing things that don't sit well with Western culture and ethics, she never drew any judgments. You know, because she wasn't a 'pop culture critic' on the World Wide Web of the Internet, but a real scholar.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 28, 2014

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

FAROOQ posted:

They're really upset about this :allears:

ethics disclosure: one time microsoft paid me 6 figures to promote the X box One

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Just wanted to remind everyone in this thread that while we argue about "video game sexism" they're still cutting off little girl's clits in other countries.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

don't worry Animal Mother is on the case

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm paid a rapidly diminishing sum to occasionally mention Day of Defeat Source in conversation, the total compensation was only $20 and it was a pretty dumb deal but I was young

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

SunAndSpring posted:

*softly wooting*

suesehT
Nov 18, 2000

THE PENETRATOR posted:

kickstarter stretch goal which she met

or just a general goal of her kickstarter

That's actually not what those stretch goals say.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gently caress the ROW posted:

Hell a live bullet nearly killed me while games journalism.. no medal, nothing, 3 retweets is all I got

Did you "casually" let it be known you were a transsexual indie dev who was into men's rights?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The hero of Canton the man they call Jayne.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

SunAndSpring posted:

*nods respectfully towards Adam Baldwin*

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 28, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The hero of Cuckton the man they call Jayne.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

*nods respectfully towards Adam Baldwin*

I had to login to twitter to verify the Adam Baldwin tweet - its real

edit: lol if you didn't retweet it too

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
kill everyone tweeting about this, god bless

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Adam Baldwin appears to have literally won a gender war at this point

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol, because he used to work with Whedon on more than one occasion.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

suesehT posted:

That's actually not what those stretch goals say.

im parroting what ive read which is "her kickstarter stated that she would play games and record all used footage by herself"

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
she's literally some kind of piece of poo poo university commie

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Njt5FsU5Xc Is Zoe being virtually raped? you decide!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Alexzandvar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Njt5FsU5Xc Is Zoe being virtually raped? you decide!

A frightening trend is surfacing in the world of online gaming – hackers rewriting code to simulate sexual assault.

I still hve to wonder if this is real, because 20 years ago an article called 'a rape in cyberspace'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alexzandvar posted:

I'm going with "No."

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm going with "No."

yeah, she wasn't humped by a guy with a traffic cone in his head in a high graphic fidelity game.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

im parroting what ive read which is "her kickstarter stated that she would play games and record all used footage by herself"

It's a shame Anita took down all the information about her stretch goals on her Kickstarter page and also the Kickstarter page itself so you can't verify this is bullshit yourself in like ten seconds.

The closest she comes is "I will be researching and playing hundreds of titles from across the gaming industry". Which is only close if you assuming she meant she would be playing every game she would be researching. And doesn't include anything even close to "I will only using footage I recorded myself".

E: Disclaimer is that I am lazy as hell and literally only read her main Kickstarter page and the updates about stretch goals. If she's made claims of only using recorded game footage elsewhere she's dumb as hell because a) that would be completely infeasible and b) she's clearly used footage of other people playing and had no reason to believe that it wouldn't be noticed.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 28, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

HazCat posted:

It's a shame Anita took down all the information about her stretch goals on her Kickstarter page and also the Kickstarter page itself so you can't verify this is bullshit yourself in like ten seconds.

The closest she comes is "I will be researching and playing hundreds of titles from across the gaming industry". Which is only close if you assuming she meant she would be playing every game she would be researching. And doesn't include anything even close to "I will only using footage I recorded myself".

she's literally a communist plant of some kind

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
How does that work in multiplayer? Wouldn't both clients have to have the same mods?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

HazCat posted:

why would i care to verify things that put content creators at odds with my perceived view of them, friend

im completely serious here

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Stretch goal: 5 years.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

why would i care to verify things that put content creators at odds with my perceived view of them, friend

im completely serious here

So you can focus on their legitimate crimes (hoop earrings :argh:) and avoid useful conversations being derailed with boring proofs and counter claims :colbert:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

HazCat posted:

So you can focus on their legitimate crimes (hoop earrings :argh:)

tbf she can get away with this if she's not white. She's probably white though isn't she?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/504765507388833792

@legobutts is, for the record, the one who doxxed the creators of the Fine Young Capitalists game jam.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

from the polygon comments posted:

‘Gamers’ aren’t people who play games. ‘Gamers’ are a club of the obsessed. Self idenfying as a ‘gamer’ means you’re carrying the same banner as the people doing these random acts of terrorism.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
you cant call us gamers thats our word.

dont use the g-word

HazCat
May 4, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

tbf she can get away with this if she's not white. She's probably white though isn't she?

I would ask if you mean 'white' or 'tumblr white', but I don't actually care about her earrings I just think it's funny that people get so angry about them.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

HazCat posted:

E: Disclaimer is that I am lazy as hell and literally only read her main Kickstarter page and the updates about stretch goals. If she's made claims of only using recorded game footage elsewhere she's dumb as hell because a) that would be completely infeasible and b) she's clearly used footage of other people playing and had no reason to believe that it wouldn't be noticed.

I'm not stupid enough to go through this, but, I'm sure you or somebody else will be: https://web.archive.org/web/20120915000000*/https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Adam loving Baldwin though.

• Locked thread