Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I've never heard of anyone not liking Twin Snakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Downpour was great for the sole revelation that you were playing the Eddie to another character's James. It has a bunch of problems too--slow to start, the enemy variety was pitifully tiny, and it could be a bit hard to find your way around in the town sometimes, but thematically I super loved it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
SH3 I thought had the strongest enemy designs in the series. I like SH2's enemy design a lot, but SH3's monsters really evoke a nightmarish, super hosed up atmosphere that's just unrelenting. I love how you can look at them and just be left with so many questions, their designs make it so that it's hard to get a grasp on what the monster really is which sets your imagination racing.

Closers, despite not being very intimidating mechanically, look incredibly imposing with their size, unnatural proportions and that bizarre, horrifying worm-head. The murmuring noise they make is really unworldly and really adds to the tension, especially when the soundtrack is backing them up.

Pendulums are the other enemy I admire. Yes, they're annoying as all balls, but there's no denying that insect-like, persistent screeching and horrible ungodly movement makes them really grating in a satisfyingly hellish way. These two creatures are genuinely nasty pieces of work in their own right. I love it when a monster's design leaves you guessing even after being exposed to them for a while.

The triumph of Pendulums and Closers is that their sounds usually complement the soundtrack of whatever area they're in, adding a nasty little backing track of their own which gives you a real impetus to deal with them just to ease your nerves. Closers making areas more claustrophobic and Pendulums acting as persistent pests can make an already oppressive area that much worse, and making monsters work in specific ways to play upon certain fears in both an aesthetic and mechanical way is really clever and creative monster design.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I've never heard of anyone not liking Twin Snakes

They exist. When they point out the reasons it sucks, they end up being exactly the same reasons why I think it owns (missle kickflip, for instance, my god that was loving awesome)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Downpour was great for the sole revelation that you were playing the Eddie to another character's James. It has a bunch of problems too--slow to start, the enemy variety was pitifully tiny, and it could be a bit hard to find your way around in the town sometimes, but thematically I super loved it.

Yeah the enemy variety was pretty bad. I don't think it's that there weren't enough types so much as all of them were kind of the same thing. They were all basically just people - even the crying bat things were mostly humanoid looking. People might have mixed feelings about SH4 but the first time I saw one of those weird giant two headed baby doll things, it made me jump, which is something none of the enemies in Downpour did.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think I'm the only person who found Homecoming to be really hard :(

I found all the easier titles pretty easy and quick to adapt to gameplay wise, but Homecoming I was just burning healing items once those weird hammerhead dorks and the fetish-leg shitheads show up.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They exist. When they point out the reasons it sucks, they end up being exactly the same reasons why I think it owns (missle kickflip, for instance, my god that was loving awesome)

Who the gently caress doesn't like that.
I mean, some of the voice work was a bit weaker, yeah, but everything else more than makes up for it.
Everything being MUCH hammier than the original? Net positive.

Edit: Cam Clarke OUTHAMMED HIMSELF.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I think that this trailer for Silent Hill 4 really captures what I wish the game was more about, or at the very least wish wasn't obstructed by attempts at adding combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZlIQKquNk

It's great for a lot of reasons, but I think the clip right after 0:40 of the body floating in the room touches on two things that I think are important in horror: working the uncanny valley effect into obviously human figures - we can tell that it's human in shape, but from the movement we can tell that it's actually something disguised as a human that's actually going to try and kill/eat us and we immediately know that we need to get WAY the gently caress away; and things that shouldn't be in familiar places intruding upon them in a way that isn't just hiding in corners, but acting like they should be there - somewhere between the previous point and the feeling that you're not actually in the place that you think that you are. Both are really instinctual, id-level fears, and were ones that Silent Hill only sort of touched on before (I feel like SH has always gone for more popularly "psychological"/heavy symbolism stuff rather than honestly tapping into the primal fear aspects of things), so it was nice to see them hint at it, but then of course SH4 turned out to be a big ol' mixed bag instead.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
SH3 was a disappointment for me coming off of SH2. I was so ready to love it, but I just don't find the cult side of Silent Hill particularly interesting. It's unfortunate that's what so much of the series focused on.

Thello fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 28, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Are there any good (hopefully informative, non scarecams) LPs of Silent Hill Downpour? It's probably the only game in the series I haven't played or watched. (I was hoping there was one as good as the Kamoc Homecoming LP was, but that is just so insanely informative I don't think anyone can come close to it)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Are there any good (hopefully informative, non scarecams) LPs of Silent Hill Downpour? It's probably the only game in the series I haven't played or watched. (I was hoping there was one as good as the Kamoc Homecoming LP was, but that is just so insanely informative I don't think anyone can come close to it)
I'm pretty much hot garbage, but I was mostly informative and straight: http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-Downpour/

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You are not hot garbage, sweetie. :(

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Butt Ghost posted:

You are not hot garbage, sweetie. :(

He is hot tho. Even hotter than "Beefcakes" Markiplier up there.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
The best part of Downpour was when you're in the theatre and the set comes to life, and you wander around the forest and come to this cabin where you fight some enemies. When you're done and you open the front door, you end up back in the theatre and the house stand just falls backwards.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm going to be blunt and ask if there are any other good LPs of Downpour out there, because personally I tried following yours and it doesn't work for me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm going to be blunt and ask if there are any other good LPs of Downpour out there, because personally I tried following yours and it doesn't work for me.
I take no offense, but you'll probably be hard pressed to find any informative or straight LP's for the game. It's not really the popular thing to do, especially when it comes to a game that is mostly thought of as poo poo.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Twobestfriends did an LP of downpour. Is it informative? a little, maybe.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

I'm pretty much hot garbage, but I was mostly informative and straight: http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-Downpour/

Hey now, I like your LPs. I'm following your Fatal Frame one, Zero right? I thought Downpour was a good game, just a lovely Silent Hill game same as SH4.
Downpour would have been a brilliant Suffering game, what with all the prison stuff. Also, SH4 has one of my favorite vidya game songs ever, it's do goddamn bleak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXCsXcs6nA

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

See, *that* is why I love Silent Hill 4. Finding Walter's victims and having that start up was just atmospheric as gently caress.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah SH4 has a really great soundtrack in general. It's both atmospheric and catchy at the same time.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the enemy variety was pretty bad. I don't think it's that there weren't enough types so much as all of them were kind of the same thing. They were all basically just people - even the crying bat things were mostly humanoid looking. People might have mixed feelings about SH4 but the first time I saw one of those weird giant two headed baby doll things, it made me jump, which is something none of the enemies in Downpour did.

God, the twins enemy. They kind of sum up exactly where Silent Hill 4 succeeds and fails in my opinion.

They look great, they're creepy and the way that they just stand around pointing at you until you come close enough is very creepy especially given 4's emphasis on melee combat. From a thematic and visual design perspective they're perfect for the game.

Then when you actually deal with them they'll run towards you, spin 180 degrees and savagely attack the empty space behind them. Completely ruining any atmosphere and intimidation with this stupid behavior.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Another thing SH4 had? Super ghosts.
First they slowly introduce the regular-rear end ghosts, let you familiarize yourself with them. They are bad, but manageable, you learn to deal with them.
And then you meet the first boss version of those, and you immediately know how it's gonna be for the rest of the game, and that it's gonna suuuuck, and all you can do is wait for the others to show up. I still remember that cutscene in the woods where the ghost of that guy appears just filling me with so much loving dread, every time (and I played many times to get all endings). I think I used silver bullets on them because I just didn't wanna deal with their poo poo. Remembering it now, it's kind of a rare feat for a game to be so unnerving. Things like that are why I consider The Room a part of the pantheon of Good Silent Hills along with 2 and 3.

And then there is that moron with guns who also keeps showing up - now he's just an annoyance. Why yes, when I hear "supernatural horror", I imagine a bot running around the level shooting up the place.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capcom posted comparison shots for the Resident Evil REmake RErelease. I say it's a testament to the Gamecube's power and Capcom's aesthetic design that the old screenshots still look good.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Man I'm in on the ground floor for that loving poo poo, REmake is SO GOOD, it's one of the best god drat games ever made and seeing it in that fidelity is awesome. I wonder if they're gonna add anything to it, gameplay wise.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Adding to the Silent Hill discussion, I honestly like the cult aspect a lot, and if you consider that it's not really "about" the cult as much as what happened as a result of what the cult did, it's way more interesting than "Silent Hill just wants you to face your demons!!!!"

Also, I want more people to watch this video series on the franchise.
It's pretty extensive, and it touches on a lot of misconceptions about the series. It even got Tomm Hulett(producer of SH:SM and DP)'s attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEHuzeOr9M

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I don't necessarily think anyone thinks Silent Hill is supposed to be about the mind, it's just that people prefer that version, myself included. They do kinda clarify that the otherworld in SH3 is more or less Claudia's personal nightmare, so it does seem that summoning or attempting to summon god causes nightmares to manifest.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I always thought of personal demons and the cult in Silent Hill as more or less two aspects of the same coin; especially since the cult is very gnostic in nature when you strip away the sillier aspects of their beliefs and get down to the core ideals of the cult.

I don't necessarily think a game featuring the cult again would be a bad thing exactly since it's as linked to Silent Hill as confronting personal demons are, but I would like to see a fresh perspective of the cult, like maybe a game where the protagonist is someone who shares the core beliefs of the cult but think Dahlia, Claudia and Holloway were total sociopathic nutcases who were abusing their power or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

woodenchicken posted:

Things like that are why I consider The Room a part of the pantheon of Good Silent Hills along with 2 and 3.

I don't want to get nitpicky with your wording, but in general do people not consider the original Silent Hill to be good? I still think the first Silent Hill is a really good game. It's dated, certainly, but being dated has never made a game "bad" except when people just can't past the aesthetics or stiff controls or whatever-other-problems.

The only reason I might not be able to make it through a playthrough of the first Silent Hill today is that I just played the poo poo out of it back in the day and I already know it inside and out. I know every upcoming moment, I know all the puzzles... the atmosphere is still effective but otherwise I'd just be going through the motions.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

cat doter posted:

I don't necessarily think anyone thinks Silent Hill is supposed to be about the mind, it's just that people prefer that version, myself included. They do kinda clarify that the otherworld in SH3 is more or less Claudia's personal nightmare, so it does seem that summoning or attempting to summon god causes nightmares to manifest.

No, SH3 is not Heather's personal nightmare. The world actually changes around her because she is "pregnant" with the cult's god.It gets fed by anger, which is the reason for everything Claudia does to her. (RIP Harry.) It's not just all in her head.

In the first Silent Hill there are many times where the main character wakes up somewhere else after travelling through "Alternate Silent Hill" thinking it's all a nightmare, but he later comes to realize that it's actually happening for realsies when the town transforms around him.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't want to get nitpicky with your wording, but in general do people not consider the original Silent Hill to be good? I still think the first Silent Hill is a really good game. It's dated, certainly, but being dated has never made a game "bad" except when people just can't past the aesthetics or stiff controls or whatever-other-problems.

The only reason I might not be able to make it through a playthrough of the first Silent Hill today is that I just played the poo poo out of it back in the day and I already know it inside and out. I know every upcoming moment, I know all the puzzles... the atmosphere is still effective but otherwise I'd just be going through the motions.

The first Silent Hill is definitely good. It was groundbreaking at the time, and got plenty of coverage, but I think it just got overshadowed by the later Silent Hills on the now more popular PS2.

Hadooooken fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 28, 2014

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

He probably just means sequels. SH1 is the only one that doesn't really hold up today though, it really does look like poo poo. If it wasn't for Shattered Memories we'd have gotten a straight remake back in 2009, which is what Konami specifically greenlit and bankrolled.

You can probably make excuses for why most of the mediocre Silent Hills turned out like they did, except for Downpour which unsuprisingly ends up being the best of the lot. Origins was written in a week and repurposed from a dark comedy Silent Hill game inspired by Scrubs (I'm not making this up), Homecoming was designed to appeal mostly to people who'd seen the first film and Shattered Memories was a product of allowing a "writer" who seems to have nothing but distain for the medium to run amok.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

All the cult stuff reminds me of the UFO ending in Shattered Memories.

Kaufman: So your father was abducted by aliens. I liked your stories better when they involved demons and a cult.

Yall who didn't like Shattered Memories are weird. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

All the cult stuff reminds me of the UFO ending in Shattered Memories.

Kaufman: So your father was abducted by aliens. I liked your stories better when they involved demons and a cult.

Yall who didn't like Shattered Memories are weird. :colbert:

Or, the UFO ending was about the only good thing about ShatMemz.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Or, the UFO ending was about the only good thing about ShatMemz.

Actually, the only good thing about Shatmemz is that it's now worth over twice as much on ebay as I originally paid for it. Which unfortunately means I had to play through it again a few days ago to check if it the disc was working ok. Which is why I'm constantly complaining about it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Actually, the only good thing about Shatmemz is that it's now worth over twice as much on ebay as I originally paid for it. Which unfortunately means I had to play through it again a few days ago to check if it the disc was working ok. Which is why I'm constantly complaining about it.

The eBay generally accepted wisdom in my experience states that if you can get to the title screen, it works. Maybe the first level if you're feeling especially generous.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
So who are your favorite horror game composers? Akira Yamaoka is mine, but I gotta say that Daniel Licht (composer for Dexter) did a p. good job with Downfall. No Yamaoka, but serviceable.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

I don't want to get nitpicky with your wording, but in general do people not consider the original Silent Hill to be good?
No disrespect for the classic from me; I just played it after all the PS2 titles, so I understandably never managed to get that deep into it. Not "get all the endings" deep.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually think SH1 still holds up as both horror and a game. The visuals might be PS1 era but because all of the most iconic stuff was born by embracing the limitations of the system rather than trying to fight against them, it still looks surprisingly good. It's a very good example of how good artistic direction can make for much stronger visuals than just having better graphical technology.

The game itself is really well constructed, too. The town layout FEELS really open even though it's not, and there are a lot of little details that really make it work, like the ability to actually navigate via street signs rather than constantly checking your map all the time. Giving players choices to make like whether to turn their light off to avoid attracting monsters at the expense of visibility makes for good horror gameplay too. Yeah the combat might have been pretty poo poo but it's not a game ABOUT combat in the first place. If fighting was fun then there'd really be no reason to want to avoid it.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
The combat in SH1 was way ahead of its contemporaries though, you could sidestep and quickturn while RE was still just standard tank controls. I like Deadly Premonition but someone more competent should make an open world horror game in that style with no cars and no separation between combat and story parts. Like the early parts of Silent Hill except all the items used in the school for example aren't all in the school....maybe the acid to melt the rock hand is somewhere in the hospital.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Shattered Memories is the shaky, amateur proof-of-concept for the best exploration/personal horror game that will never be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

So who are your favorite horror game composers? Akira Yamaoka is mine, but I gotta say that Daniel Licht (composer for Dexter) did a p. good job with Downfall. No Yamaoka, but serviceable.

I didn't find Licht's work in Downpour memorable at all. The problem in Downpour is that it's mostly just silence or that string that goes beooooowop. Compare that to Yamaoka's brand of industrial ambient music that fits perfectly with the theme of blood and rust in the transformed world, and it just doesn't hold up.

I also didn't like how they replaced the McGlynn collabs with Korn but hey, that might just be me.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

The combat in SH1 was way ahead of its contemporaries though, you could sidestep and quickturn while RE was still just standard tank controls. I like Deadly Premonition but someone more competent should make an open world horror game in that style with no cars and no separation between combat and story parts. Like the early parts of Silent Hill except all the items used in the school for example aren't all in the school....maybe the acid to melt the rock hand is somewhere in the hospital.

I agree with everything you said except the last part. Each major indoors area is pretty self-contained. The acid to melt the hand statue is actually in the lab equipment room in the school for example. At the beginning you do find the keys outside in very different locations for a door in a specific house, but it's all outside and clearly marked on your map anyway.

Hadooooken fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 28, 2014