Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Unmature posted:

I was saying that makes me want to read it. I really really want more stuff like that in comics big time.

I was going to say. :crossarms:

I love Ms. Marvel, but I still feel that a lot of the action is . . . not good. The boss battle in this issue felt rushed and like an afterthought to the character development/interactions (which I really enjoyed). To the extent that they are building to a superhero comic, and not a coming-of-age comic, I'm a little concerned about the long-term plotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

I was going to say. :crossarms:

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm a HUGE racist. But it doesn't mean everyone else reading comics has to be.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I dropped Ms. Marvel after this week, and it's a total shame since I _wanted_ to like it so badly. But at the end of the day, I felt like the book was trying to make me fall in love with Ms. Marvel more than it was trying to make me fall in love with READING ABOUT Ms. Marvel.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Suben posted:

Superior Foes was too good for this world. :smith:

For certain definitions of good, sure (it was a bad book (Nick Spencer is not a very good writer)).

It's telling that I thought his arc of Thief of Thieves would actually be better if it was written by Kirkman.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

d00gZ posted:

I dropped Ms. Marvel after this week, and it's a total shame since I _wanted_ to like it so badly. But at the end of the day, I felt like the book was trying to make me fall in love with Ms. Marvel more than it was trying to make me fall in love with READING ABOUT Ms. Marvel.

I genuinely don't understand this criticism, because I both adore the character and want to read about her adventures until the sun burns cold (as long as the art stays this amazing, I mean).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I notice that it's got still-youthful Steve, and in the Marvel Cinematic Universe-style uniform, so I wonder where that sets #7 relative to other Marvel ongoings? The series essentially stopped keeping track of dates (it seems that Infinity #4/Ms. Marvel #1-2 took place on a Friday, with #3 and #4 taking place on the Saturday and Monday afterward).

First Bass posted:

I genuinely don't understand this criticism, because I both adore the character and want to read about her adventures until the sun burns cold (as long as the art stays this amazing, I mean).
Alphona is back for #8 and #9, as much as I liked Wyatt's depiction of Kamala as constantly shapeshifting... on the other hand, she headbutts a bomb!

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 22, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh thank god Jack Murdock wasn't a wife beater.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shoulda never doubted Battlin' Jack.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

For certain definitions of good, sure (it was a bad book (Nick Spencer is not a very good writer)).

It's telling that I thought his arc of Thief of Thieves would actually be better if it was written by Kirkman.

Huh. I think Spencer's generally bad at structure and plot, yeah, but Superior Foes worked because it was basically just goofy characters, banter, and the occasional action/heist sequence. I don't like anything else from Spencer, but totally enjoyed Superior Foes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

onefish posted:

Huh. I think Spencer's generally bad at structure and plot, yeah, but Superior Foes worked because it was basically just goofy characters, banter, and the occasional action/heist sequence. I don't like anything else from Spencer, but totally enjoyed Superior Foes.

Foes works because being bad at getting things done and spinning wheels is appropriate for supervillains. It's Spencer's flaws turned into advantages.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I read Slott's She-Hulk run a couple months ago. I only made it a bit into his second run because it just wasn't very good while the first was fantastic. Now I'm reading Byrne's run and it's sooooo good! Super fun in a cheesy 80's comic way and I love the fourth wall breaking stuff I've heard so much about. Funny how much I love it here when I can't stand Deadpool. I wish there were more trades, but the first collection from a couple years ago is all that's in print now. It doesn't seem like they're doing a second.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Unmature posted:

I read Slott's She-Hulk run a couple months ago. I only made it a bit into his second run because it just wasn't very good while the first was fantastic. Now I'm reading Byrne's run and it's sooooo good! Super fun in a cheesy 80's comic way and I love the fourth wall breaking stuff I've heard so much about. Funny how much I love it here when I can't stand Deadpool. I wish there were more trades, but the first collection from a couple years ago is all that's in print now. It doesn't seem like they're doing a second.

I've never read Byrne's She-Hulk, but I loved the first 12 issues of Slott's run (reprinted in the Single Green Female and Superhuman Law TPBs). I think it started at a new #1 after that, and got collected in three more TPBs. That part of the run started with a Hawkeye time travel story that was okay, but I thought it quickly lost steam after that, complete with a disturbing Starfox story that drives home why Starfox is a terrible hero and character in general.

I'm really looking forward to the first TPB of Soule's current She-Hulk run. It sounds like it might focus on all the awesome comedy/law practice aspects of Slott's run that I liked so much.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Now I'm reading Byrne's run and it's sooooo good! Super fun in a cheesy 80's comic way and I love the fourth wall breaking stuff I've heard so much about. Funny how much I love it here when I can't stand Deadpool. I wish there were more trades, but the first collection from a couple years ago is all that's in print now. It doesn't seem like they're doing a second.
I think people forget just how few issues of S-S-H Byrne actually did, considering how synonymous he is with that title--he only worked on the first 8 issues, then he doesn't come back until #31 (at least he stays until #50, but then peaces out again 10 issues before the series ends).

edit: he did do the SSH OGN, too.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

redbackground posted:

edit: he did do the SSH OGN, too.

I just read that too. It's a fun one-off. It was a little more adult since it's an OGN (he even sneaks in a green nipslip).

I love how 80s SHIELD corruption was basically the same as dirty cops.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So about that Dum Dum Dugan story. They retroactively killed him off so that him being alive and un-aged with the infinity formula wouldn't be a loose end, but doesn't Black Widow have it too? Or was that retconned at some point?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah at some point Black Widow's origin as a soviet agent is gonna make zero sense.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah at some point Black Widow's origin as a soviet agent is gonna make zero sense.

They'll just say she'd get frozen, like Bucky.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

So about that Dum Dum Dugan story. They retroactively killed him off so that him being alive and un-aged with the infinity formula wouldn't be a loose end, but doesn't Black Widow have it too? Or was that retconned at some point?

Well it did take Fury's like 60 years to wear off, so she won't have to worry until 2020!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That was always the case. If she was as old as she looked, our backstory would already be out of date. In canon she was still a little girl during WWII.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Lurdiak posted:

She's living on the new ledger formula, as long as there's red in her ledger she's still youthful.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Karma Tornado posted:

They'll just say she'd get frozen, like Bucky.

I thought that was already something they said.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please, like Putin isn't running Red Room facilities.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

RevKrule posted:

She's living on the new ledger formula, as long as there's red in her ledger she's still youthful.

The ledger formula didn't work out so well for the Joker. :rimshot:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It's not like they can't say "ex-Russian Intelligence". It's not like Russia ever stopped being shady as gently caress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Going to be weird in a few years when her backstory includes Ukraine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah friction with Russia and the rest of the world isn't going to be irrelevant any time soon.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dacap posted:

Dum Dum's, along with the rest of the Howling Comandos, infinity formula actually stopped working a long time ago and Dum Dum has been 99% robot for a good chunk of time, (for a stretch of the 90's he was just his bowler hatted head on a run of the mill 90's nine foot tall chrome robot body) Original Sin just needs to ignore that so they can clean up all of old Fury's loose ends.

Natasha and Bucky were subjected to Russian attempts at the super solider formula that's slowed their aging, increased their strength and speed just not as much as Cap's.

Really the whole I'm dying of old age thing requires a level of sticking you fingers in your ears or no-prizing about a crap-ton of knock-off super solider antiaging formulas that are floating around for the story to work.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Regarding X-Factor, had anyone else been suspecting that Warlock and Danger would be :roboluv: ?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gasp! R-robosexuals?! :ohdear:

Wait, she's the Danger Room right? That means he's spent a lot of time... inside her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Regarding X-Factor, had anyone else been suspecting that Warlock and Danger would be :roboluv: ?

But Warlock and Doug are my otp. :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

But Warlock and Doug are my otp. :(

That's alright. In the previous series they've shamelessly shown Doug inside Warlock. :roboluv:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

While they were inside Danger. Oh god this series is FILTHY.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

SirDan3k posted:

Dum Dum's, along with the rest of the Howling Comandos, infinity formula actually stopped working a long time ago and Dum Dum has been 99% robot for a good chunk of time, (for a stretch of the 90's he was just his bowler hatted head on a run of the mill 90's nine foot tall chrome robot body)

Are you sure you aren't thinking of some other SHIELD agent? I recall a SHIELD agent in an old issue of the Official Guide to the Marvel Universe that was all robot with a human head but I'm 99% sure it wasn't Dum Dum.

edit; vvvv that's the guy. Totally forgot he was in Secret Warriors vvvv

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 26, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have no clue whether or not Dum Dum was/is a cyborg but you're thinking of John Garrett. He had a fairly important part in Secret Warriors.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just noticed Acker and Blacker are writing Thunderbolts. How's it been? I haven't read Thunderbolts ever, just for context here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Diet Poison posted:

I just noticed Acker and Blacker are writing Thunderbolts. How's it been? I haven't read Thunderbolts ever, just for context here.

Not as good as Soule's run, which was a lot of fun, but better than Way. It's almost done at this point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wouldn't recommend it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Sub-par. Definitely not up to what Soule was doing before, which was very good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The run is weird because I was almost certain that it was going to be a negated storyline from the beginning (much like Soule's last arc), what with the rather casual way a couple major characters have been killed off and how some members were acting out of character. Now I'm realizing it's going to be canon and it just doesn't work so well.

I did like that final conversation between Frank and Deadpool, though. It was an incredibly strange and violent situation offset by how respectful and understanding they were to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

The run is weird because I was almost certain that it was going to be a negated storyline from the beginning (much like Soule's last arc), what with the rather casual way a couple major characters have been killed off and how some members were acting out of character. Now I'm realizing it's going to be canon and it just doesn't work so well.

I did like that final conversation between Frank and Deadpool, though. It was an incredibly strange and violent situation offset by how respectful and understanding they were to each other.

Who's been killed off? I haven't read it, but all the team members besides Rulk are in solo books or in other books, right? Ghost Rider, Deadpool, Elektra, and Flash.

• Locked thread