Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Fish did not rain in Sri Lanka or anywhere else for that matter. People find fish on land and media somehow turns it into a story about raining fish. The stories have been around for ages about both raining fish and frogs, and all of them are bullshit. Skeptoid did a good episode about the all these stories http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Fish did not rain in Sri Lanka or anywhere else for that matter. People find fish on land and media somehow turns it into a story about raining fish. The stories have been around for ages about both raining fish and frogs, and all of them are bullshit. Skeptoid did a good episode about the all these stories http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4170

But they will fall in hailstones, so who the gently caress knows.

That link says that a frog wouldn't survive the fall, but thanks to the square-cube law it's going to have a terminal velocity lower than what's needed to kill it.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 28, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo: News travels fast, especially when you make up your own. (August 29, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (April 2-4, 1951)

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Oh my god R Ubbish mentioned me

:supaburn: fangirling pretty hard right now.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've been absent here for too long. I know you missed it.

Intelligent Life

I looked it up briefly and didn't find much consensus. Just a lot of nerds arguing on forums, which in retrospect I should have expected.

Those jocks are SO self-obsessed. Hey, look at what a UNIQUE, WACKY NERD I am!!!

No comment.

Are the goddamn Smurfs really that geeky?

You like Star Wars?? What an esoteric movie to be interested in. You "geeks" sure are STRANGE!!

I won't lie, that's not a bad Jabba. Points off for no Salacious Crumb, though.

Oh, Ben Affleck's going to do fine, get over it. I'm more leery of Zack Snyder's involvement.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Into the derp collection!
So, I'm not the only one collecting comic strip derp.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Hey Look!
Since I've been posting MAD Magazine..."Hey Look!" was a series of one-page comics that Harvey Kurtzman did for Timely Comics from 1946 to 1949, appearing as fillers in their line of comic books. Stan Lee, who was the editor at the time, gave the series the name. 150 strips were made altogether.

There was an attempt at an animated revival in the late 1990s when Nickelodeon did "Oh Yeah! Cartoons". Director Vincent Waller did a six minute short based on Kurtzman's comic for the shorts project.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got to see Guy Gilchrist in the flesh today. He drew a picture of Nancy's head and then a picture of Baby Kermit's head. Signatures were $5, no refunds, no pictures please I got a show to do here.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

madeupfred posted:

I got to see Guy Gilchrist in the flesh today

And yet you didn't take the shot.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh my god yes, HEY LOOK is completely awesome. I remember reading this one as a kid and it blew my mind.

Really appreciating everybody posting MAD artists' stuff in this thread. Sergio, Don Martin, Prohias, even the Dave Berg material is good in a painful 70s time warp way.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Oh yeah, here's a recent interview with Berkeley Breathed. Mars Needs Moms makes an indirect appearance.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

I bet Rosa will just go off into the jungle on her own and Gunther will end up performing heart surgery by accident.

And no lessons will be learned.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I love how "this is my uncle's clinic" and "he's a prominent surgeon" somehow automatically mean he doesn't help the poor. In a perfect world, this setup would lead to the uncle turning out to be a prominent surgeon with a city clinic who helps the urban poor right there in the city, and he will kick seven kinds of poo poo out of Rosa and Gunther by pointing out that their altruism is really just a typical suburban rear end in a top hat's dream of being the Great White Savior to exotic jungle savages and look cool to their friends.

No, I'm wrong, in a perfect world this comic wouldn't even exist.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Are...are you okay?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

A plugger's grandkids would want to know what a CD is.

Bleeker is still sorting out its bucket list.

Pickles looks forward to the afterlife.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Green Intern posted:

I really hope this ends with them getting deported.
FTFY.

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith

Loweezy really doesn't want to see Parson Tuttle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think she's just sad that they won't have anything to eat tonight.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

The most common English example of this sign that I found was "no junk mail", sometimes with "or free newspapers" added. Didn't have the room for "newspapers", but whatever. By the way, the Finnish expression is ei ilmaisjakelua, "no free distribution", which encompasses all free mail.

Fok_It

Kela means "a tape" or "a reel". Kelata means "to (re)wind", and it's also a slang word for "to think". The "don't think my thoughts" part was originally älä kelaile mun keloja, literally "don't wind my tapes".

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

beauty

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 9, 1927)

Peanuts (August 31, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 22-23, 1925)

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Are...are you okay?

Oh yeah, I meant to bring that up- she's gotta be high as a goddamn kite.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

She was just wearing a maid's costume, Jane, jeeze. It's the dude who's always dressed as a viking that I'd call a freak.

Non Sequitur

Actually, Danae's a lot like the users on my network when we lose our T1. Talk about whiny. "No, I can't make the phone company move any faster in repairing our T1 so you can post comics to some stupid internet forum called somethingawful.com." :v:

Heavenly Nostrils

Phoebe, two words, text Sue. I'm sure she could solve your getting in trouble problem in about 30 seconds.

Kliban's Cats

My pitch black cat, Spaz, is like this. Always on "insect patrol, and elimination" in our house. Centipedes are her specialty.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/28/2003

:stare: And yet, you make your daughter dress like a nun.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Welp Rudy, that's why predators don't farm.

What did I just say?

:v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Are...are you okay?
I don't think whatever draws this strip is entirely human and/or understands human expressions.

Return of the UH OH BABY

Poptropica like they could kill and slaughter and process a cow.

Heathcliff :stonk:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Return of the UH OH BABY

Those toddlers are so incredibly sad, but I guess that's what happens when you meet the Uh-Oh Baby. Crushed by the weight of existence, and they're not even out of preschool.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

This is the best Modesty Blaise arc in a while. :allears: So much suspense, and we haven't even caught back up with Jane yet. And poor Rossi... that look on his face when he says he's in love with Modesty. He's boxing outside his weight and he knows it. Kammat, thanks again for posting these. Can't start the day without a Modesty fix.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set isn't about hipster coffees.

I love that they sell instant coffees.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

I think she's just sad that they won't have anything to eat tonight.

They have the parson, don't they?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Pic pretty much related. Whoa! Look what I found in YOSPOS... A Gelé I don't recall seeing.

I haven't checked her site on deviantart out in awhile, but I will later.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Return of the UH OH BABY

Who wants to be the Uh-Oh Baby?

Uh-Oh!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm glad I skipped a day, because it made these Flying Dog Comix line up.

Pooch Cafe

Oh, hey, they finally got that catapult working! They've been canonically working on that thing for years.

Ballard Street

Nobody ever wants to be the power pack, no matter how cool that name sounds.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I love that his flying contraption is grounded to the buckle on the dog's collar. :science:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

He was a lot more dynamic back when he was The Bishop.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Few days ago I purchaed "MAD About Comic Strips". It's a book reprinting newspaper comics parodies that MAD did over the years, from the beginning to early 2000s (the book came out in 2003). Naturally it's full of stuff that this thread'll love.

Here's one I scanned. Originally ran in MAD #326, March-April 1994:

quote:

STRIP TEASED DEPT.

It's a mean tough world out there, but you wouldn't know it from reading the daily comics. Well, enough is enough, and MAD thinks it's time for Charlie Brown, Hagar and the others to exit the age of innocence and enter the age of reality! This said, let' see what we'd have

WHEN TODAY'S CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES TOTALLY INVADE THE COMICS

Artist: Angelo Torres
Writer: Frank Jacobs

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

:ssh: he's under the tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I was reading through one of my Complete Peanuts books this morning when I found a strip that this thread might enjoy, given the classic Peanuts strips that have been posted lately:

Peanuts (January 7, 1973)

I don't blame Poochie, Snoopy must look like some sort of mutant to her if she last saw him as a 50s-era regular dog!

• Locked thread