Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

We know that Ugin's "thing" is being colorless but not an artifact, and face-down Morph creatures are the only other colorless nonland nonartifacts (other than Eldrazi). Maybe Dewey will have a "Colorless Matters" subtheme, which will interact with both Khans' Morph creatures and Louie's Ugin cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I imagine an Ugin Planeswalker card would be colorless for design-space, flavor and playability reasons. It increases the number of decks can actually use it, particularly in a world where the large set is a multi-colored thing.

Back to Hatechat: Blue/Red Elemental Blasts were another example of relatively bullshit hate cards WOTC was printing back in Alpha.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I may have been responsible for this.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty good.

So, ftv:annihilation. Who's LGS is wishfully asking >= $75 for it? I just got one on ebay for $40. What a stinker this year...

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's pretty good.

So, ftv:annihilation. Who's LGS is wishfully asking >= $75 for it? I just got one on ebay for $40. What a stinker this year...

Mine was asking $60 so I ended up getting my wife one for our anniversary. Now I just have to resist keeping it for myself for the next couple weeks.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My LGS had 5 available at $50, threw one into the prize pool for the Modern GPT they were hosting, and still have a few more. They said the price was going up after those 5 but not by that much. I don't know how much they're asking now though since I haven't swung by since I got mine at $50.

I don't think it's a bad set but I'll admit it doesn't seem as good as some of the other's. I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it if it were though. :v:

Plus it's all shiny and it has fun things I can use in Commander. (the best format)

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 28, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I bought two for 35 each, opened 1 but I think I'll keep the other boxed for awhile

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I mean, it's still a cool product with cool cards and I like it. It's just not what we've come to expect. Also I'm kinda glad they're not hundreds of dollars for once. This is the one product that butts heads with the reserved list the hardest I think.

Notable potential future centerpiece worthy non-reserved list cards:

Wasteland, (FTV: Lands 2 E.B.)
Rishadan Port, (FTV: Lands 2 E.B.)
Karakas, (FTV: Lands 2 E.B.)
Force of Will, (FTV: Counterspells)
Mana Drain, (FTV: Counterspells)
Imperial Seal, (FTV: Tutors)
Goyf, (FTV: Fatties)
LotV, (FTV: Walker All Stars)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My LGS is selling them for $100. ~Australia~ :allears:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I mean, it's still a cool product with cool cards and I like it. It's just not what we've come to expect. Also I'm kinda glad they're not hundreds of dollars for once. This is the one product that butts heads with the reserved list the hardest I think.

Walkers would immediately start flipping for $250+ since it'd probably also have JTMS alongside 13 other Walkers and people are crazy for that. Fatties would probably also contain Emrakul and Griselbrand.

What are some other things Fatties would have in it?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cernunnos posted:

Walkers would immediately start flipping for $250+ since it'd probably also have JTMS alongside 13 other Walkers and people are crazy for that. Fatties would probably also contain Emrakul and Griselbrand.

Foil, Full-Art Delver

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Death Bot posted:

Foil, Full-Art Delver

I'll take 2 playsets please. :swoon:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cernunnos posted:

B.F.M. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

Lol if you think walkers would have anything other than Sorin, Gideon, Tibalt, moon socks . Walkers: second string.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Death Bot posted:

Foil, Full-Art Delver

Would this be done like flip cards, or are you envisioning full-sided on both sides?

Speaking of which, why did transform take precedence over flip cards? Flips were already a really elegant solution to the problem that they created with having the cards be double-sided and sleeved, and I have no idea why they introduced transform other than to really hammer in the flavor or out of fear of revisiting a mechanic, both of which are terrible excuses for the pain in the rear end that was transform.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Heavy Lobster posted:

Would this be done like flip cards, or are you envisioning full-sided on both sides?

Speaking of which, why did transform take precedence over flip cards? Flips were already a really elegant solution to the problem that they created with having the cards be double-sided and sleeved, and I have no idea why they introduced transform other than to really hammer in the flavor or out of fear of revisiting a mechanic, both of which are terrible excuses for the pain in the rear end that was transform.

They did transform so that they actually have room in the text box for rules. You couldn't do Garruk Relentless as a flip card.

And of course once you're doing transform for some cards you're going to do it for all of them in the set, rather than having some cards transform and some cards flip, even if some of them have little enough text that they could technically be done as flip cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

Because people hated flip cards because they were ugly, each side didn't have much space for rules text, and you couldn't tell which side it was when it was tapped.

Transform cards were very popular, though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Flip cards were ugly and sucked and DFCs were great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

From the Vault: Expensive Legacy poo poo

Heavy Lobster posted:

Because of jerkasses who tap to the left, making it difficult to know which side is up.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Flip cards are terrible pieces of poo poo that look like someone took the outline of a Magic card, let Andy Warhol at it, and then had Willy Burroughs do the flavor text. They were terrible and transform cards are better in every way. If Flip cards are Chroma, Transform is Devotion.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly, I thought all the Flip art was kinda neat, since it conveyed a lot of information about the nature of the card in a very small space, but I guess I can also agree that it's more novel than it is actually good. That being said,

Angry Grimace posted:

Because of jerkasses who tap to the left, making it difficult to know which side is up.
These people should get their DCI number revoked or something because god drat it the tap symbol literally has it turning to the right! :argh:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

These people should get their DCI number revoked or something because god drat it the tap symbol literally has it turning to the right! :argh:

I am an awful person who taps to the left when attacking, but to the right when activating abilities.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I am an awful person who taps to the left when attacking, but to the right when activating abilities.

Woah man, next you're going to be telling me that you think all Jews should die.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished playing in an SCG open qualifier. Got 4th by accurately predicting the meta would be full of rabble red and azorius control. I picked Selesnyaggro. No regrets. Lost a match to mono black aggro (which I'm super favored in, but was stuck on 1 green with 2 advents in hand.)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Gensuki posted:

This... actually kinda makes sense.

At least it's better than the friend of mine who does like a 30-degree tilt instead of a full tap so he can untap lands easier. He doesn't cheat at all, and he's definitely Into any given game enough to know the state of everything at any given time, but it's kinda frustrating to have to ask for clarity of his lands, because it almost always gives away whether I have a counterspell ready or not.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Heavy Lobster posted:

This... actually kinda makes sense.

At least it's better than the friend of mine who does like a 30-degree tilt instead of a full tap so he can untap lands easier. He doesn't cheat at all, and he's definitely Into any given game enough to know the state of everything at any given time, but it's kinda frustrating to have to ask for clarity of his lands, because it almost always gives away whether I have a counterspell ready or not.

Does your friend have some sort of degenerative motor disease because if so I would feel a little bad for immediately thinking of what a lazy poo poo you have to be to care how much effort is required to untap your lands.

I mean is he playing with sandpaper-backed sleeves?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Last week, I started playing with my mat facing the opponent(dragon fighting giant with store name printed on it), lands front and facing my opponent. Creatures at back of lands, facing them as well. Library at back right of mat, cards upside down in my sleeves, which have the picture of the back of the magic card on them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Does your friend have some sort of degenerative motor disease because if so I would feel a little bad for immediately thinking of what a lazy poo poo you have to be to care how much effort is required to untap your lands.

I mean is he playing with sandpaper-backed sleeves?

No, but he is an enormous sperg (plays a bunch of HARD lockdown decks in kitchen table play and doesn't get why nobody wants to play with him unless he plays a different deck), so, close.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Does Triad of fates actually interact with Oblivion Stone?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gensuki posted:

Does Triad of fates actually interact with Oblivion Stone?

Yes, as far as I've been able to tell. The fate counters used by both are the same, and thus are seen by the abilities on both cards.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I wonder if Ugin being colorless means we'll get Ghostflame printed.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Tap to the right always, but turn your activated Wirewood Symbiotes a full 180 degrees.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Put anything with summoning sickness behind your lands.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Didn't the original patent for Magic describe tapping as rotating 90o counter-clockwise?

I've always tapped my stuff that way because it's the correct way. :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
As a right-handed person, tapping to the left is tapping your lands not like some horrible monster. :colbert:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Technically, you could be a huge rear end in a top hat and signify tapping by putting a counter on the permanent.

edit: gotta quote it because it sounds so insane:

the magic patent posted:

In accordance with another aspect of the present invention, the step of executing a turn includes the step of tapping a mana card when it is used by turning the mana card approximately 90 degrees from an original position or orientation on a playing surface to thereby flag the card to all other players that the card is in use; and further including a step of untapping mana cards at the end of a turn by turning the mana card back to its original position to thereby unflag the card to all other players that the card is now available for use. Turning the card at other angles such as 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 60 degrees or other angle may also be done to flag a card. Flagging may also be accomplished by marking the card with nondestructive, removable markers or other similar method.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 28, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Technically, you could be a huge rear end in a top hat and signify tapping by putting a counter on the permanent.

edit: gotta quote it because it sounds so insane:

I need to see someone play in the pro tour with lands in front and a mix of tap to the left and using "tap counters." :allears:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, tap creatures to the left and put pogs with the various tap symbols on the lands. The sideways T, the tap symbol on a rectangle, all of them with no rhyme or reason. Keep the card from your draw step upside-down in front of you until your second main phase ala the famous cruel ultimatum topdeck.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Pogs would go well with your white-bordered mismatched basics, both at the feature match table and as evidence for the prosecution at your war crimes trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Pogs would go well with your white-bordered mismatched basics, both at the feature match table and as evidence for the prosecution at your war crimes trial.

I'm not sure what you mean by white-bordered mismatched basics, since half of your basics should be whitebordered and the other half blackbordered.

• Locked thread