Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Amergin is a national treasure and his posts make this thread worth reading. I don't watch any news TV and I need to see rebuttals to standard rightwing arguments. Plus, the "go team!" action of it is fun to watch.

Fact. Amergin may be a copy-paste troll-bot, but he's Olympic-tier compared to the average right-wing twitterer/poster.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Because you don't actually believe the things you're pretending to believe in order to make the post,

If authenticity was a requirement of posting here, we'd be left with debating whether Bernie Sanders should be Benevolent Dictator for Life or just a Two-Term President. Yes, it's a slight exaggeration, but my point is that you're not going to find an authentic intelligent conservative who would last more than a few days posting here, even if he played by the rules enough to avoid a ban. Amergin's the best opposition we're going to get without setting up a kickstarter to hire a pet conservative to debate us.

Unzip and Attack posted:

which means you rarely if ever even try to defend your bullshit assertions with evidence or reasoning

Again, he's better about the evidence/reasoning than 98% of the conservatives I've seen in the wild, and the other 2% do this professionally. I spent parts of last week trying out Twitter and the average conservative there just steps right into the hits. It's just night-and-day (or at least predawn) compared to Amergin. Yeah, I wish Amergin was a lot better than he is, but he's the only guy we've got keeping this from becoming a :circlefap:

Sir Tonk posted:

This is the best picture.

3000 years from now, when alien xenoanthropologists are picking through the post-global-warming wreckage trying to understand American politics, I hope they see this. It will offer little insight but I hope they'll be able to appreciate its wonders too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So, what's everyone's opinions on Al Sharpton? Not whether he's a good MSNBC host or anything, but whether he's hurting the Civil Rights movement?

Honestly, I don't know much about his history pre-MSNBC, but during his time there I haven't seen him do anything really offensive when it comes to race matters. I ask this cause I know quite a few liberal Black friends who think he's a race baiter.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Let's be honest: unless you are in the military, fully automatic weapons are toys.
To be honest fully automatic small arms are still toys even if you are in the military. Short controlled bursts and semi-auto fire are the norm, not full auto.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr Interweb posted:

So, what's everyone's opinions on Al Sharpton? Not whether he's a good MSNBC host or anything, but whether he's hurting the Civil Rights movement?

Honestly, I don't know much about his history pre-MSNBC, but during his time there I haven't seen him do anything really offensive when it comes to race matters. I ask this cause I know quite a few liberal Black friends who think he's a race baiter.

I like Al Sharpton for the same reason I like Obama: He drives white racists completely batshit crazy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mr Interweb posted:

Al Sharpton hosted SNL once and was hilarious. He has also overreacted to certain situations, and done some Dumb poo poo.
He has an MSNBC show that I watched once.
This is the extent of my knowledge of Al Sharpton.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mr Interweb posted:

I like Al Sharpton.
The only people that think Al Sharpton is a race baiter are the people that listen to or read right wing news. I assume your friends are upper middle class and were probably born into semi wealth?
Or, god this makes me sick, they are some sort of libertarian.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Most people who complain about Al Sharpton being bad for black people probably don't like black people all that much anyway. It's just concern trolling.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Many states still don't have necrophilia and bestiality laws. Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and North Carolina still don't have necrophilia laws.

Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Vermont: all states that don't have laws against bestiality. And of course Washington didn't have any bestiality laws until after a certain famous horsefucking video.

Pages back but Florida does have bestiality laws. It took Florida 4 (yes, 4) times to pass them in the 2011 session but hey, they do have them. It did serve to show how bad the state GOP was at the time.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Badger of Basra posted:

Most people who complain about Al Sharpton being bad for black people probably don't like black people all that much anyway. It's just concern trolling.

He said his friends were black. Which is why he is asking, I suppose.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Spatula City posted:

Al Sharpton hosted SNL once and was hilarious. He has also overreacted to certain situations, and done some Dumb poo poo.
He has an MSNBC show that I watched once.
This is the extent of my knowledge of Al Sharpton.

Al Sharpton also had a couple of great cameos in the first season of Boston Legal. Boston Legal was a pretty D&D show in its own right, some of the best of Bush-era comedy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

If only he'd poo poo up a thread I didn't read very often, that'd be great.

This thread has been so busy re-creating infotainment since the experimental chat thread, it doesn't know what to do with itself. Amergin, liquor, smack-talk and the occasional anecdote are what made this thread fun. Post chat-thread it's basically all Amergin. The other derails are still here but a lot less fun.

Edit: Re: Al Sharpton, I've worked with the man and I've voted for him in every primary I could have. Even for positions he wasn't running for, he makes a great write-in candidate. Getting to vote for him is a pleasure because he basically gets everything right. Even his dumb stuff is mostly media-smear and neglects proper context. In terms of people who, you know, have an actual media-presence, he's fan-loving-tastic, he's golden, he's perfect. Quibbling about him is a mixture of systemic racism and an area where hard-left factionalism bleeds into normal political discussion because he drives the discussion that far left.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

This thread has been so busy re-creating infotainment since the experimental chat thread, it doesn't know what to do with itself. Amergin, liquor, smack-talk and the occasional anecdote are what made this thread fun. Post chat-thread it's basically all Amergin. The other derails are still here but a lot less fun.

I think the experimental thread was intended to clean this thread up. I don't think it worked.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pohl posted:

I think the experimental thread was intended to clean this thread up. I don't think it worked.

I agree. All it did was invent next generation topics to derail the thread while making it less fun to read. If I wanted that kind of progress, I'd have gone into finance.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I agree. All it did was invent next generation topics to derail the thread while making it less fun to read. If I wanted that kind of progress, I'd have gone into finance.

I'm actually amazed that Joe can continually pop in here and just drop awesome stuff like the thread isn't a 3 alarm fire with dead corpses surrounding it. I have no idea where he finds his patience, the man needs to start a loving religion.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As someone who prides himself on selling products compatible with next generation products, Joe is also a loving national treasure.

Basically, Joe is my Jon Stewart and Amergin is my Steven Colbert (but rhetorically more useful). They are what make this thread.

On an unrelated note, I just finished drinking a Mikkeller Big Worst that I won at an auction from a paragon of the community who died unexpectedly of a stroke. It was a good way to honor a good man's life. As a nightcap, I'm going to have a drink that recreates the best drink at a fantastic bar at a place where I used to live. Equal parts godiva chocolate vodka with bacardi torched cherry. Let them sit with a chopped habenero pepper until it is hot enough for you (you want it hot, otherwise it is pleasant but not really anything worth recreating). Shake it, pour it, done. Feel the burn, love the burn. And it is a sweet treat dessert with low hangover potential. Keep it professional here people.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Pohl posted:

I like Al Sharpton.
The only people that think Al Sharpton is a race baiter are the people that listen to or read right wing news. I assume your friends are upper middle class and were probably born into semi wealth?
Or, god this makes me sick, they are some sort of libertarian.

He might be better now but he has a history of being a self promoting blowhard. Whenever I hear his name this is the first thing that comes to mind

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This thread is best with pyu doing his thing and the occasional funny derail like the nuke map or horse sex. Amergin chat and chat about amergin chat is stupid, it's like Arkane in the climate thread.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only negative things about Al Sharpton I see is 1) he ratted out drug dealers to the fbi, 2) he advocated for a couple rape victims who turned out to be lying and 3) her contributes to respectability politics of black people.

3 is the only one that carries weight and isn't even his fault.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
d) He's even more of a water carrier for Obama than Ezra Klein.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama is the best president we've ever had

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

greatn posted:

The only negative things about Al Sharpton I see is 1) he ratted out drug dealers to the fbi, 2) he advocated for a couple rape victims who turned out to be lying and 3) her contributes to respectability politics of black people.

Well, there is Freddy's Fashion Mart. He's pretty responsible for that.

He does seem to have turned his life around, though.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
I hate to see Joementum get all the lauding and magnifying here. There's tons of great, fuckng magnificent posters here, who are a teeny inspiration for my sorry-rear end life every day, including but certainly not limited to fried chicken, willa, xylowj, evilweasel, my imaginary gf, reindeerf, biggerboat, Comes Now Bort and many, many others. A loving caress to all of you. And to my favorite trolls, including SilentD and Amergin, who I think may be the same guy. Life here in sunny Dogpatch, USA would be a little less tolerable without all of you.

But for at least a shred of substance, here's a tiny question. Regarding ex-convicts and voting, is there a table or article that lists which states deny voting rights and for how long?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

http://projectvote.org/images/publications/Felon%20Voting/POLICY-PAPER-FELON-RESTORATION-MARCH-2014.pdf is more or less what you're looking for, I think.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
We all know that anything you say to the police can and will be used against you in a court of law, but now what you don't say can and will be used as well

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

spoon daddy posted:

He might be better now but he has a history of being a self promoting blowhard.[/url]

Isn't that just like every politician and activist though? Tooting one's own horn is like half of politics/PR.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The worker walkout of Market Basket worked

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fried Chicken posted:

We all know that anything you say to the police can and will be used against you in a court of law, but now what you don't say can and will be used as well

Fried Chicken. You need to stop launching me on these emotional rollercoasters.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Pretty tough to discuss things people dislike about Sharpton without factoring in Crown Heights. With that said, I thought he had a pretty stellar eulogy at the Brown funeral.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Wasn't "your silence will be interpreted as guilt" one of the parts of the Cardassian Miranda Rights in Star Trek? They were the space fascists if you didn't know.

Though that might be just another device to make O'Brien suffer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

quote:

The state Supreme Court in a 4-3 ruling said Tom needed to explicitly assert his right to remain silent — before he was read his Miranda rights — for the silence to be inadmissible in court.

This is hilarious. Not in a haha way, but in like a further example that the world has completely and collectively lost its marbles way.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
To a lot of white people, Al Sharpton is the scary kind of black man, the opposite of Harold Ford. Especially New Yorkers, who remember a younger, much angrier Sharpton.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ReidRansom posted:

This is hilarious. Not in a haha way, but in like a further example that the world has completely and collectively lost its marbles way.

LOL, so you need to invoke your rights that you are being informed of in Miranda, before they read you the Miranda. That dosen't even logically follow...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

"God is a predator drone..."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh and Q2 GDP has been revised.

It is now 4.2% rather than the original 4%

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

What a bizarre ruling. This sounds like nothing a court should be able to come up with in TYOOL 2014.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Fried Chicken posted:

It says they might consider an appeal to SCOTUS, I'm not so sure that will work out with the current makeup of SCOTUS.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Amused to Death posted:

It says they might consider an appeal to SCOTUS, I'm not so sure that will work out with the current makeup of SCOTUS.

I think Thomas would sympathize with the defendant in this case.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I really, REALLY hope this decision gets overturned on the appeal.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This gives me the heebie jeebies. Like how many steps removed from just straight up worshipping weapons and technology are some folks now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

"Drones would be a sort of a microcosm of who God is," Young preaches in the third lecture, before briefly explaining each attribute.

THE MACHINE SPIRIT GUIDES ME

• Locked thread