Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How do they make sure their waves are in sync with Earth's waves? What if they cancel each other out? Do speakers explode in shrieks and their projector burns a hole in the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If they can actually sell this poo poo to audiophiles and make money doing it, they're absolutely cool by me. Hell, I might even think them heroes.

KillHour posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's good for "Breaking FCC regulations." Was I close?

Edit: That antenna isn't nearly long enough to generate a 7.83Hz wave. Some back-of-the-napkin math is giving me a wavelength of ~38,000 KM.

Double Edit: I reported them to the FCC. :allears:

Though yes, this is pretty funny

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Forgetting physics... How is a radio frequency that low possible ? At that frequency would it not take on some other properties ? Such as when heat turns to light...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

grack posted:

If they can actually sell this poo poo to audiophiles and make money doing it, they're absolutely cool by me. Hell, I might even think them heroes.
I've thought several times that I should get in on this whole audiophile snake oil business, but despite what my posting history suggests I'm no good at bullshitting.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

jonathan posted:

Forgetting physics... How is a radio frequency that low possible ? At that frequency would it not take on some other properties ? Such as when heat turns to light...

Radio, infrared, light, xrays are all electromagnetic waves. Radio waves in particular are all waves less then 300 GHZ (1mm). The wave would also be very unlikely to interact with matter.

KillHour posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's good for "Breaking FCC regulations." Was I close?

Edit: That antenna isn't nearly long enough to generate a 7.83Hz wave. Some back-of-the-napkin math is giving me a wavelength of ~38,000 KM.

Double Edit: I reported them to the FCC. :allears:

FCC won't care. The wave is unlikely to interact in any meaningful way to anything but your analog devices in your house. Even then, it would probably be no worse then what your speaker system generates.

The antenna will generate a signal, just that most of the signal would probably end up being reflected back into the antenna. That is a full wave length antenna you mark which are rarely used for broadcast. Any antenna for that frequency would have to be astronomical in size (19000km for half wave dipole, 9500km for a quater wave) or be heavily loaded (another device that would generate heat) if you didn't want your amplifier getting hot from the reflected power.

I now realize HAM radio has taught me too much. :-(

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Someone is the retro gaming thread discovered a site dedicated to getting high quality FLAC recordings of Sega Genesis / Mega Drive game music. This is really cool as some games like Sonic 3 basically only have emulator recordings out and it's poo poo.

The equipment page is a good read which explains what they use including a gussied up Model 1 Sega Genesis. Their Genesis in particular is generally considered the best Sega for audio.

Now you can enjoy such classics as the Sonic Spinball options screen music in lossless FLAC or high quality MP3.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Audio nerd thread, what's the best piece of software to rip CDs these days?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

88h88 posted:

Pretty sure it's still Exact Audio Copy, as it's been for like a decade.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or CDParanoia if you're on a *nix platform.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
EAC (or any other AccurateRip-enabled software), rip in burst mode or the equivalent, and if the rip fails the AccurateRip check try to fix it with CUEtools before you bring out the big guns. I have a directory of bad rips that I throw CUEtools at every month or two and it's gradually been able to fix more and more of them as the database grows. It's kind of amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

XLD is also pretty great if you're on OS X. Built my profiles for v0 / v2 / FLAC etc and it's just a case of putting the CD in and pressing 'GO', as it should be. The tedious part is then using a green pen on all the MP3s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks chaps, completely forgot about EAC since reformatting my PC...

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

88h88 posted:

dBpoweramp

Has AccurateRip and secure ripping, uses several databases (no gracenote support), and if you have a million drives or a robotic loader you can use their Batch Ripper.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

EAC worked perfectly but it's nice to know if I ever want to obsess over ripping CDs I can do ^^

Thanks chaps.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Do you long for the old days of glowing tubes and point-to-point wiring?

Do you think modern digital formats are cold, sterile and "accurate", and have way too much "even frequency response"?

Then you need a $5500 tube buffer!

http://purityaudiodesign.com/300Bbuffer.htm

:downsbravo:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KozmoNaut posted:

Do you long for the old days of glowing tubes and point-to-point wiring?

Do you think modern digital formats are cold, sterile and "accurate", and have way too much "even frequency response"?

Then you need a $5500 tube buffer!

http://purityaudiodesign.com/300Bbuffer.htm

:downsbravo:

It "reduces listener fatigue". Finally, because I get worn out just listening to music.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I was going to say "at least this one does what they claim" but nope, 'enhances transparency'! If they'd just said 'yo make your poo poo sound like it's running through a nice tube amp, because it is' we'd have been cool.

Also is it just me, or does a lot of this expensive boutique equipment look like absolute crap considering the cash being thrown around? I mean if I saw that in someone's room I'd kinda assume they made it themselves. Workmanlike is how I'd describe it. Would it hurt to sacrifice some of those moon profits to pay some art student on Etsy to design a nice logo at least? gently caress

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My theory about scripty fonts is that they are just cargo-culting marantz gear, because script fonts = classy.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
This post is the worst thing I've ever read on the internet. Push on through the kindergarten-level spelling and grammar to the pictures, trust me.

The whole thread is a circlejerk of worthlessness, but that post especially.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

baka kaba posted:

'yo make your poo poo sound like it's running through a nice tube amp, because it is' we'd have been cool.

Would you really be cool? Because I'm pretty sure you can "make your poo poo sound like it's running through a nice tube amp" for a whole hell of a lot less than $5000.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Exactly, so many options! If someone wants to spend megamoney on a tube stage, that's their terrible choice. But at least they'd be getting what it says on the label.

But yeah it would be a whole lot less fun though, you need the medicine show patter to make it all worthwhile. Did anyone catch the deals page? There are bargains to be had! $15,000 off! It's actually $13,000 off but they rounded up $2000 because why not

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Which one of you started this?

http://wathifi.tumblr.com/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

88h88 posted:

Which one of you started this?

http://wathifi.tumblr.com/

Someone go out and chart reviews with one axis being price (normalized per product type), and one axis being positive or negative reception in audiophile reviews.

Edit:

Bonus round - find a cable that costs >$1000 with a majority of negative reviews. Someone has to make a lovely cable, and if it's so easy to hear, it should be easy to find out who. Right, guys?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 18, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I was browsing Kickstarter, saw this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forteaudio/forte-life-the-headphone-that-redefines-your-expec

All your existing in-ears are crappy broken pieces of poo poo, I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At least they start at $30 which isn't awful if they don't suck. I've spent more than that on bad IEMs before (which have had glowing 5* reviews on Amazon, of course).

I wonder if there's an elder audiophile council that gather whenever a new $1,000+ product is released, so they can all come up with a consensus as to what the empty box with the LEDs on it is actually supposed to do.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

eggsovereasy posted:

There's a magnet on every driver and the phono cartridge, so if you actually demagnetized all of that nothing would work right?

Also, it literally is called the talisman, I thought you were just making fun of him. I wonder if the company that sold it to him named it that tongue-in-cheek because they know it's bullshit. The talisman costs $275 by the way, https://walkeraudio.com/shop/talisman-magnetic-optimizer/

edit: also, I don't know what his mkIII cost but the new mkV is $105,000, https://walkeraudio.com/proscenium-black-diamond-contd/
Loooooooooooooooooooool, a $2000 paperweight: https://walkeraudio.com/?product=record-clamp

quote:

Last year, we improved our Reference record clamp by adding our Black Diamond technology. Now, we’ve improved the record clamp again with the White Diamond crystal on top that intercepts and cancels harmful RF interference. Works on all turntables that have an adequate spindle. (See Product Description below.)

Expect to hear a deeper, wider sound stage with improved dynamics and better, stronger, deeper bass. The soundstage will be more transparent, the harmonics and voices cleaner and more natural-sounding. Bring the performance right into your room and enjoy your music like never before.

“Familiar records are stunningly quiet. Low level details were there that we never heard before, and Holly Cole leapt out of the background as if we were suddenly watching a 3D movie. Very impressive!” SC, customer
Literally on the level of pyramid power and crystals on a stick.

They also have $400 magic crystals to put on your needle head: https://walkeraudio.com/shop/crystal/

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

edit: also, I don't know what his mkIII cost but the new mkV is $105,000, https://walkeraudio.com/proscenium-black-diamond-contd/

His turntable cost about $20k back in 2004, when I first saw one at CES. I can't tell if anything has changed since then except the price.

Today I learned that bent cables can trigger nuclear fission:

FullRangeMan on AudioCircle posted:

Not reason to afraid, its a nice point to point wiring.
No thin wires, no bend wires turn in hi angles(which may broken the copper molecules);

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm here to breathe back a little hope for humanity in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyrGkx76QjA

This guy is awesome, and I want to play with all of his cool equipment.

Edit: I would totally do this, if I wasn't terrified I'd electrocute myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gAUuLkc1ik

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That guy seems really cool and into what he's doing. I'd love to have a workshop full of gear like that and stuff to tinker on.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I found a subreddit from a guy who seems to know a lot about building speakers. I'm reading but I don't know enough to really tell if this guy knows what he's talking about or if he's full of it. There is a lot there anyway, I'm sure at least some of the comments will be pretty good.

http://www.reddit.com/r/loudspeakers/

Edit: I think he's an old guy who's lost his marbles: http://www.reddit.com/r/loudspeakers/comments/1zxgpq/perception_vs_reality/

TomR fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 5, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, I went to that subreddit, the first post of his I clicked on was the one regarding capacitors and sound, and found that all of his presented research references are audiophile blogs and forums. He's very likely just another audiophile nut.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah I gathered that. I found some pictures of woofers he's applied silicone to the cones and other stuff glued all over the place. Someone asked him how he measured something and he went on a rant about how he uses his ears to test stuff.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I work on computers and ran into a modded Corsair PSU for AUDIOPHILE USES!
Behold:

Those pieces of poo poo are metal plating wrapped in some kind of tape.. the edges were shoved into the circuit board causing the PSU to short out within seconds of booting. FANTASTIC!

Nevermind this firehazard was used to power a EVGA SR-X dual LGA 2011 workstation/server mobo.. which has coil whine and you can hear electrical chatter with the naked ear.. a totally perfect computer system for an audiophile.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

redeyes posted:

I work on computers and ran into a modded Corsair PSU for AUDIOPHILE USES!
Behold:

Those pieces of poo poo are metal plating wrapped in some kind of tape.. the edges were shoved into the circuit board causing the PSU to short out within seconds of booting. FANTASTIC!

Nevermind this firehazard was used to power a EVGA SR-X dual LGA 2011 workstation/server mobo.. which has coil whine and you can hear electrical chatter with the naked ear.. a totally perfect computer system for an audiophile.

Wow.

Of course, everyone knows he should have bought a Mac Mini, upgraded it with a non-switching power supply and placed it on a specially-designed anti-resonance platform.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

Wow.

Of course, everyone knows he should have bought a Mac Mini, upgraded it with a non-switching power supply and placed it on a specially-designed anti-resonance platform.

For a giggle I went full bore on the additional options on that first link. I ended up with a $15k mac mini.

That poo poo is loving incredible.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

88h88 posted:

For a giggle I went full bore on the additional options on that first link. I ended up with a $15k mac mini.

That poo poo is loving incredible.

What is the thing underneath the mac mini?

Is it some magical sound spheres encased in lucite??

Edit: whoops, clicked the other link and found out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been using a mac mini as a music server for years, I can't believe I never thought to try it with a $3000 katana power cable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A block of milled plexiglass filled with ball bearings? What's the pseudoscientific rationale behind this poo poo?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

A block of milled plexiglass filled with ball bearings? What's the pseudoscientific rationale behind this poo poo?

You want turntables to resonate as little as possible; lead weights in a acrylic box with soft feet help by creating a stable, heavy platform on which you can place the record player. So of course the same idea works for a Mac Mini.

As a beautiful little detail, the platform has spikes because you're naturally going to place it on a carpet and not on some hard surface such as shelf or table.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ummm.. Obviously it is specifically tuned to the resonant frequency of the Mac Mini, causing reduced listener fatigue from better harmonic coherency; greater definition with more organic tone, texture, and timbre; increased articulation with more micro-detail and micro-dynamics; a deeper and wider soundstage with increased separation and air; and better musical flow with more natural leading edge and sustain.