Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
And a slut who should be punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

What? She's 11.

The state treat kids consensually exploring their sexuality with their peers as sex offenders.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Is there a way to combat this particular opinion? Because my family is really bad about it. I've tried to say that I see far worse from old white people and twenty-somethings, but that didn't work.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Lid posted:

A primary school principle sent this to parents. Yes.

Incredible. Probably drunk. Probably thought himself hilarious. Probably still does. Vice-principals are where it's at, they tend to do all the actual work.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I usually ask them to take diary notes on the ethnicity of every bad driver they see on the roads so that they can prove to me that they're right and not just yet another boring loving racist. Saying 'ok come back to me with proof or you're the idiot I think you are' will shut someone up at least, and they might be chastened by it.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
My mother is really just generally racist towards Asian people as well, and it's shut her up.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

And a slut who should be punished.

Quoting this out of context next time we argue

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I saw a road cyclist the other day and I was like "holy poo poo I would rather cycle in rush hour traffic in Bangkok or somewhere than Tweed Heads" because old people are literally the worst drivers on the planet.

Mad respect to that dude for doing it and not being killed (yet).

Seriously, I've seen on more than one occasion some septogenarian randomly swerving between both lanes of traffic on Minjungbal Drive and Wharf Street because they can't tell there's two lanes there or just don't care or whatever.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Fuckwits who drive giant Ford F250s and park in handicapped spots or just idle in the middle of the lane because they cant be hosed parking away from the bottle shop are the worst drivers.

The pharmacy I go to is next to a bottle shop and I have to deal with this poo poo all the time.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Key the cars IMO.i would

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I actually kept a notebook of terrible drivers that listed their age, race and gender. Did it for about 6 months and there's no correlation. People in Perth are just bad drivers on the whole. Personally I blame the Labor Party.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
The worst place I have ever driven in is Wellington. Kiwi drivers are all insane.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anyone who says Asians are bad drivers has clearly never been to Asia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anyone want to start a countdown till Qantas is sold off and fucks off overseas?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So Kathy Jackson slept with one of the HSU lawyers.

I guess the Union RC writers felt upstaged by ICAC.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Bogans in massive utes are the worst drivers. Tradie heaven out where I live.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Whatever the most common demographic for your area is the worst type of driver in your area. No one can drive properly.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

Wait I don't get this. No public school staff are employed by the commonwealth, so none of them could be considered officers of the commonwealth anyway. So did the high court only strike down the legislation because the commonwealth was setting a directive about religious pastoral care instead of secular, but if they do it by the back door by directing funding to the states and threatening withdrawal if the states employ secular youth workers (ie, youth workers who aren't contracted to a religious Ngo like the salvos, who insist upon commitment to Christian ideals as a condition as employment)? This is so confusing. I don't think the NSW department of education puts school-by-school positions out to tender by LGA or if they even could. How do you enforce this without breaching the state anti-discrimination act. If I owned a small business I wouldn't be able to use 'I hate police and therefore won't take their custom', I'd be sued.

The first time, the High Court struck down the funding agreement because it wasn't supported by legislation. Then the Government went and passed legislation supporting it. Then the High Court struck down that legislation because it wasn't a law about any of the things that the Constitution says the Commonwealth can make laws about. (The Commonwealth can't just make any laws it likes - the Constitution sets out an exhaustive list regarding what the Commonwealth can legislate about. The Government argued that the law supporting the chaplaincy funding arrangement was a law with respect to "benefits to students", which is one of the things in that list. The High Court said it wasn't.)

The Constitution provides a separate power to the Commonwealth, allowing for the Commonwealth to grant money to a State on any terms and conditions that the Commonwealth likes. That, I think, is what the Government is now deciding to do - they're going to give a bunch of money to a State on the condition that the State gives it to the chaplaincy program. I am pretty sure each State will be able to choose whether to agree to these grants.

The "church and state" issue about the chaplains is, constitutionally, a non-issue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Federal ministers urged to boycott 'bigoted' anti-gay, anti-abortion World Congress of Families conference
By political reporter Anna Henderson
Updated 44 minutes agoThu 28 Aug 2014, 1:47pm

The Senate has passed a motion calling for federal ministers to boycott a controversial conference that endorses anti-abortion and anti-gay messages.

:allears: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-28/federal-ministers-urged-to-boycott-controversial-conference/5703242

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
People have a right to be bigots part deux.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So Kathy Jackson slept with one of the HSU lawyers.

I guess the Union RC writers felt upstaged by ICAC.

The context is even better

quote:

Health Services Union whistleblower Kathy Jackson has asked for a lawyer to be stopped from cross-examining her at the royal commission into union corruption because she had sex with him more than 20 years ago.

Ms Jackson submitted a statement outlining her sexual history with Mark Irving, who was scheduled to cross-examine her on behalf of the Health Services Union.

Commissioner Dyson Heydon rejected the submission and questioned the relevance of the sexual relationship, which took place in 1992.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/health-se...l#ixzz3BetrXo6p

Not a fan of Dyson Heydon but I do agree with his "the gently caress does this have to do with anything?"

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I dunno, being grilled by an ex sounds like a pretty big 'conflict of interest' no-go area to me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Maaaaaate, vote LNP 2016.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

meteor9 posted:

I dunno, being grilled by an ex sounds like a pretty big 'conflict of interest' no-go area to me.

An ex from 22 years ago? Gimme a break.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Anidav posted:

Maaaaaate, vote LNP 2016.

Wow, my power bill is going to go down by a whole $30 per quarter. So much money saved! I'd rather it be invested in renewable energy, but gently caress that lefty bullshit right!?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Qantas had posted a full year loss of $2.84 billion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheHeadSage posted:

Wow, my power bill is going to go down by a whole $30 per quarter. So much money saved! I'd rather it be invested in renewable energy, but gently caress that lefty bullshit right!?

Just wait til the gas price rises kick in over the next few years.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Qantas had posted a full year loss of $2.84 billion.

Bloody Labor

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

An ex from 22 years ago? Gimme a break.

I would recuse myself even if it was 50 years just to avoid any suggestion of conflict. Surely the HSU could come up with another barrister to cross examine, or do they only have access to one person with experience and a law degree? I think she's suss but she deserves to be cross examined by someone who hasn't been intimate with her and might know exactly how to push her buttons.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"dear customer, due to the pole and line sell off, we are now passing the rental we pay on these assets onto you, your price will rise by more than 8.9%"

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

TheHeadSage posted:

Between the electricity and the gas I'm saving a buck fifty a week. Half a cup of coffee has never tasted so sweet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

The worst place I have ever driven in is Wellington. Kiwi drivers are all insane.

Weird, I never noticed this in Queenstown at all. Then again I think drivers in Calgary are loving insane compared to drivers anywhere else in Canada.

In the Snowy Mountains the loving worst is people from anywhere that's warm, I'm guessing, who drive down the mountain when it's obviously not icy at all (+5 degrees) and completely safe to do the speed limit of 80 at 35-45 the ENTIRE. WAY. DOWN.

Like loving Christ if you're that terrible at driving down a hill pull over to let the people who understand how the weather works and know that it's not going to be icy as poo poo go past and drive at a normal speed.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 28, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

also the fact that the entire city is on a 45 degree incline

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

I would recuse myself even if it was 50 years just to avoid any suggestion of conflict. Surely the HSU could come up with another barrister to cross examine, or do they only have access to one person with experience and a law degree? I think she's suss but she deserves to be cross examined by someone who hasn't been intimate with her and might know exactly how to push her buttons.

Why should the HSU have to throw away their cash and go do that? I dunno, this sounds like classic Jackson bullshit, I bet she's just trying to delay things, and I doubt that the judge is being a dumbarse.

quote:

The royal commissioner Dyson Heydon today dismissed the application from Ms Jackson, and instructed Mr Irving to begin his cross-examination.

Mr Heydon, a former High Court judge, accepted the argument of the counsel assisting, Jeremy Stoljar SC, that Ms Jackson had “understood that Mr Irving was involved in the royal commission from the very beginning” – yet she only raised her objection today.

Mr Heydon did not accept Ms Jackson’s claim that she did not expect to be cross-examined by Mr Irving. He pointed out that Mr Irving had already represented the HSU for two years in legal action against Ms Jackson in the Federal Court that is still underway. She had not raised objections previously.

According to Mr Heydon, the relationship Ms Jackson had with Mr Irving in late 1992 and early 1993 was not relevant to proceedings in the commission today.

There was nothing to suggest that Mr Iriving carried a vendetta, and a reasonable person would not consider that it unreasonable for Mr Irving to conduct cross-examination when the relationship was so long ago.

Ms Jackson’s barrister had argued that his client had become more concerned about Mr Irving only yesterday when she learned of a NSW police tap conversation in 2012 in which Mr Irving’s name was accepted by the now jailed union fraudster Michael Williamson as a barrister who could craft an HSU case against her for mismanagement that could lead to her removal from union office.

Mr Heydon also dismissed this argument, saying no evidence was provided that Mr Irving would do anything other than conduct himself properly as a barrister – even if he was an “unconscious tool of others”.

The junior barrister for the HSU, Michelle Painter, briefing standing in for Mr Irving, told Mr Heydon that the relationship between Ms Jackson and Mr Irving was “historical, long ago, and done with”, and had no relevance to circumstances in the commission.

Ms Painter said Mr Irving’s cross-examination could hardly be a surprise to Ms Jackson, who faces serious allegations of financial irregularities.

“The objection that is being put now is merely a last desperate attempt to avoid cross-examination by a counsel fully prepared and informed on the proceedings.”

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

HookShot posted:

Weird, I never noticed this in Queenstown at all. Then again I think drivers in Calgary are loving insane compared to drivers anywhere else in Canada.

Lol - I was in Queenstown the weekend that they changed the laws on how to drive on roundabouts. It was... challenging.

[edit: also, bus drivers driving up the hill to the Remarkables on 2 wheels... outstanding

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

The first time, the High Court struck down the funding agreement because it wasn't supported by legislation. Then the Government went and passed legislation supporting it. Then the High Court struck down that legislation because it wasn't a law about any of the things that the Constitution says the Commonwealth can make laws about. (The Commonwealth can't just make any laws it likes - the Constitution sets out an exhaustive list regarding what the Commonwealth can legislate about. The Government argued that the law supporting the chaplaincy funding arrangement was a law with respect to "benefits to students", which is one of the things in that list. The High Court said it wasn't.)

The Constitution provides a separate power to the Commonwealth, allowing for the Commonwealth to grant money to a State on any terms and conditions that the Commonwealth likes. That, I think, is what the Government is now deciding to do - they're going to give a bunch of money to a State on the condition that the State gives it to the chaplaincy program. I am pretty sure each State will be able to choose whether to agree to these grants.

The "church and state" issue about the chaplains is, constitutionally, a non-issue.
The bit I bolded is loving ridiculous and I sort of hope that the government gets its wish on this battle so that it prompts a referendum or a complete revolt from the states, because it's getting to the point where people are actually blaming governments and politicians for bad policy instead of blaming victims in my area, so maybe there will be a big shift towards support for social services on the back of these campaigns against civil society

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

Why should the HSU have to throw away their cash and go do that? I dunno, this sounds like classic Jackson bullshit, I bet she's just trying to delay things, and I doubt that the judge is being a dumbarse.

To me that article you just quoted makes the situation seem even more egregious. I don't know why her solicitors didn't object the first time, the idea of someone with such a profound preexisting relationship interrogating the other in a court of law is just hosed up.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

The bit I bolded is loving ridiculous and I sort of hope that the government gets its wish on this battle so that it prompts a referendum or a complete revolt from the states, because it's getting to the point where people are actually blaming governments and politicians for bad policy instead of blaming victims in my area, so maybe there will be a big shift towards support for social services on the back of these campaigns against civil society

This has been going on for donkey's years (since 1923), people have long complained about it, nothing will ever change. Referendums can only be initiated by the Commonwealth Parliament, that is, the legislature for the polity that is very well served by this device and will never relinquish it.

Context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_96_of_the_Constitution_of_Australia
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/RP0708/08rp17

quote:

The Australian federal system is notable in the degree to which the national government can influence the spending and policy priorities of state and local governments. An important instrument in this is the much-used power, under section 96 of the Constitution, whereby the Commonwealth can make conditional grants of money to the state and territory governments. These have become known as specific purpose payments (SPPs) for programs in a wide range of areas. The states administer these payments which, in most cases, are subject to conditions (so-called conditionality) that the Commonwealth specifies. In 2006 07, the Commonwealth spent almost $29 billion or about 11 per cent of Commonwealth government expenses on SPPs. Some see the Commonwealth s use of SPPs, in areas traditionally the preserve of the states, as a key problem in Australian federalism:

quote:

Most complaints about the operation of the federal system concerning duplication, buck-passing, excessive administrative burdens, lack of accountability and lack of coordination can be traced back to the use of specific purpose payments (SPPs) by the Commonwealth Government.

One estimate has the fiscal cost of these problems that is, the higher than necessary costs of government at $9 billion annually.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

To me that article you just quoted makes the situation seem even more egregious. I don't know why her solicitors didn't object the first time, the idea of someone with such a profound preexisting relationship interrogating the other in a court of law is just hosed up.

I can give a pretty good guess as to why her solicitors didn't object initially, and that's because they are hoping her to be cross-examined by someone who isn't as good across the details of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
We already know the story, Pyne has sent his insane university deregulations to the senate and is continuing to steadfastly state this will go through. So no need for the whole article, let's just see the selling job.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/28/christopher-pyne-changes-university-funding-fair-go-for-students

quote:

The Abbott government’s higher education bill, which would force students to contribute more to university fees and pay higher loan interest rates, is consistent with the “idea of a fair go”, Christopher Pyne says.

quote:

The education minister described the legislation as a “fair, balanced and necessary package of reforms”, arguing the deregulation of tuition fees would ensure universities had access to enough revenue to prevent them from falling behind strong competition from Asian institutions.

quote:

“We want a system that embodies the idea of a fair go – where there are no financial barriers to participating in higher education,” Pyne said.

“We want all Australians who have the ability and the ambition to participate in higher education – this will help create a strong, vibrant economy and assure our future standard of living. But running such a high level of support comes at a cost. In 2014 the cost of subsidising degrees is more than $6bn, the value of Help loans is more than $5bn, student income support for higher education is more than $2bn.”

We want a system that embodies the idea of a fair go – where there are no financial barriers to participating in higher education.

We want a system that embodies the idea of a fair go – where there are no financial barriers to participating in higher education.

• Locked thread