Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iostream.h posted:

currently one of my regular guitars is the rainbow PRS

yes, I've been asked more than once at a gig if I'm gay for that specific reason.

i'd ask you if you were gay then clarify it's because you paid for a prs

e: well hi new page, have a turd seemingly played exclusively by steampunk jackasses!

http://www.larkinam.com/StrohViolins.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I never knew there was a contingent of people who strongly disliked prs until i started reading this thread

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

muike posted:

I never knew there was a contingent of people who strongly disliked prs until i started reading this thread

i just think they're way too pricey is all

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Nothing wrong with PRS, it is just that they are the defacto bluesdad guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they are?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Nothing wrong with PRS, it is just that they are the defacto bluesdad guitar.

I thought they were the official lawyertar?
Pretty sure the standard issue bluesdad guitar is a Gibson R9.

And yeah, the Prism plays like a motherfucker, I love those 57/08 pickups, and I normally loving DESPISE PRS pickups.
Most new guitars are overpriced, the trick is to buy used.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like PRS but it's not like I'm going to snob you if you play one. Like if you enjoy your instrument and you're not on a goddamn steampunk bong guitar it's whatever. I've actually played on a PRS and didn't like it so much, I think it's one of those dumb personal guitar things. I don't think they're bad guitars I just personally am not a fan, I guess

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
is the epiphone valve jr good

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
PRS are basically dumb looking gibsons and I don't like gibsons so there ya go.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i stay away from anything with valve in the name

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Fax Sender posted:

I don't know because I haven't used mine about never, but just realized I've had one since they started making them. There's better be a market for mint VINTAGE valve jr's so I'd finally get something out of it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

muike posted:

PRS are over priced pieces of poo poo, much like gibson and fender

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
PRS have the added point though that 99.9% of them are also utterly hideous as well

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
how dare you insult my 10 top!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
I tried to take the cable reel system out of my old hoover and it exploded (most the mechanism is in my neighbours garden), so that's a no-go. Awesome idea though.

iostream.h posted:

Most new guitars are overpriced, the trick is to buy used.

You'd be amazed at how many people think a new Gibson/PRS is an investment.

Fax Sender posted:

A stock one is decent enough for the money, but the main appeal of those is that they are so easy to mod, I put a gain pot on mine (it's actually a Harvey Benton GA5, which is exactly the same internals but with an added eq knob that does basically nothing) and replaced a few internals to make it a little brighter, it's got hell of a growl on it now, I love it. You've got to buy a v.2 or v.3 though, the first ones were horrible without a decent amount of work.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 28, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fax Sender posted:

This was my very first amp and it still works after nearly a decade. I now use it to play my electric mandolin on. It doesn't have any presets other than volume. I've seen a lot if videos of people modding theirs and they say it's an easy process.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stux posted:

PRS are over priced pieces of poo poo, much like gibson and fender

gently caress well i guess you sure done told me then gonna go put on a santanna rob thomas song and practice bluesfaces in the mirror

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Whatever you think of the USA PRS line, the SE series is generally extremely well built and sound better than most comparably-priced instruments without any modding. I don't like the looks of most of them, but I think they've gotten better in recent years and to PRS' credit they don't deliberately make the cheap guitars ugly (relative to the American series) in order to distance them from the expensive ones.

If the company deserves a certain amount of flak for making a largely ugly product mainly enjoyed by rich basement guitarists, I think they also deserve a little bit of credit for also making some of the best affordable guitars around.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Whatever you think of the USA PRS line, the SE series is generally extremely well built and sound better than most comparably-priced instruments without any modding. I don't like the looks of most of them, but I think they've gotten better in recent years and to PRS' credit they don't deliberately make the cheap guitars ugly (relative to the American series) in order to distance them from the expensive ones.

If the company deserves a certain amount of flak for making a largely ugly product mainly enjoyed by rich basement guitarists, I think they also deserve a little bit of credit for also making some of the best affordable guitars around.

You know, I've not actually seen an SE series up close. All the PRS guitars I have worked on have been the US ones. Huh.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

White Dog Eggs posted:

I tried to take the cable reel system out of my old hoover and it exploded (most the mechanism is in my neighbours garden), so that's a no-go. Awesome idea though.

dodged a bullet there iostream.h. hope you have the same luck at the gigs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ferrous Wheel posted:

they're still like $150 more expensive than they should be and don't usually come with high output pickup options and that's a dealbreaker for me since that means another 60-120 aftermarket to replace them

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I like them a lot. The stock pickups are not garbage, and in my experience have actually been adjusted to a sensible height in-store. Not sure if that has anything to do with how they come from the factory. But (again, in my experience) they're solidly built, the string alignment and frets have always been good, the tuning pegs are decent, and the nuts are way better than the average Epi or Squier—probably a good number of MIM Fenders too. To me they seem like perfectly solid, comfortable guitars. Either a great starter or a average gigging instrument. This is all based on playing them in stores since I've never encountered the right model at the right time, but it's been very consistent wherever I've gone.

I still think the SE Standard/Soapbar is the best looking instrument PRS has ever built, and if I ever run across one used at a time when I have the money I will probably own it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I dunno about in the US but here at least the SE series is a £450-800 price range and the ones I've played aren't appreciably better than a cheaper priced guitar from anyone that isn't gibson, fender or prs. You can grab a chapman ml-1 for like £360 and I'd take that over any SE PRS any day. The RGA ibbys also fall into the lower end of that range and are incredible instruments, or you can get one for nearly half the lowest SE, spend the difference on some bare knuckles and have something that sounds a ton better, plays better, looks better and feels better.

Stux fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I like them a lot. The stock pickups are not garbage, and in my experience have actually been adjusted to a sensible height in-store. Not sure if that has anything to do with how they come from the factory. But (again, in my experience) they're solidly built, the string alignment and frets have always been good, the tuning pegs are decent, and the nuts are way better than the average Epi or Squier—probably a good number of MIM Fenders too. To me they seem like perfectly solid, comfortable guitars. Either a great starter or a average gigging instrument. This is all based on playing them in stores since I've never encountered the right model at the right time, but it's been very consistent wherever I've gone.

I still think the SE Standard/Soapbar is the best looking instrument PRS has ever built, and if I ever run across one used at a time when I have the money I will probably own it.

I hate those solid wrap around bridges, they can be a bitch to intonate properly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

I hate those solid wrap around bridges, they can be a bitch to intonate properly.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stux posted:

I dunno about in the US but here at least the SE series is a £450-800 price range and the ones I've played aren't appreciably better than a cheaper priced guitar from anyone that isn't gibson, fender or prs. You can grab a chapman ml-1 for like £360 and I'd take that over any SE PRS any day. The RGA ibbys also fall into the lower end of that range and are incredible instruments, or you can get one for nearly half the lowest SE, spend the difference on some bare knuckles and have something that sounds a ton better, plays better, looks better and feels better.
chapman guitars are built in the same factory as SEs

SEs are also cheaper for US citizens because they all go back to the US for inspection before being shipped to international dealers

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

pfs Write posted:

dodged a bullet there iostream.h. hope you have the same luck at the gigs

Dodged a bullet my rear end.
It's achieved sentience and has already launched its first attack on the human race!

Gonna plug that sumbitch into the Soldano and it's Skynet 2014 WDE and I are gonna be responsible for the obliteration of us all! :dance:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Is it possible to have reverse direction pots and intermix them with the normal ones (on the GBS guitar)?

Sockington fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 28, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

muike posted:

chapman guitars are built in the same factory as SEs

SEs are also cheaper for US citizens because they all go back to the US for inspection before being shipped to international dealers

Well exactly, the have the same build quality, a better choice of parts and are cheaper.

Also they aren't hideous like PRS guitars

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Buying a non-used guitar is ridiculous anyway in my opinion when you can get some incredible guitars for stupidly cheap prices used. My old guitar was probably the nicest guitar I've ever played, an rga121, and I got it in pristine condition for £400.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

iostream.h posted:

Dodged a bullet my rear end.
It's achieved sentience and has already launched its first attack on the human race!

Gonna plug that sumbitch into the Soldano and it's Skynet 2014 WDE and I are gonna be responsible for the obliteration of us all! :dance:

totally ok with armageddon as long as my face is being melted by sick riffs and not h-bombs

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

My old guitar was probably the nicest guitar I've ever played, an rga121, and I got it in pristine condition for £400.

Same, paid like 400€.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Comparing Chapman guitars to the SE series isn't really reasonable in either direction, I don't think, since each is more affordable in its country of "origin". As for Ibanez, I'm as big a fan as anyone but I don't think there's a lot of overlap between people who might want an RG and people who might want a PRS. PRS are trying pretty hard of late, but I don't get the sense they're gaining much traction. The bridge isn't the greatest, but there's plenty of fully intonatable replacements available for less than the price of a pickup swap. Also, some models of the SE Standard (and others in the SE series) come with a strat-style trem.

Used—of course the best way to go—SE's can go for very little money. Under $300 US in some cases. Chapmans look pretty cool, except for the ones that don't, but I've never played one or even seen one for sale in North America. I was also a bit soured on them by this hilarious video, though I know they're not remotely the worst offender in this kind of bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLxE8iDWD_w

In any case, my point is that PRS doesn't necessarily completely deserve their reputation for only making toys for rich douchebags, since their budget line is also perfectly respectable, at least if you live in North America and don't hate their looks.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Thread has never been more on topic

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Sockington posted:

Is it possible to have reverse direction pots and intermix them with the normal ones (on the GBS guitar)?

Heck, randomly go between reverse and regular, and even log and linear pots. Would be a great prank to pull on someone too if it didn't require soldering someone else's guitar.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Do bear in mind that I DO have to be able to produce something resembling sound from this thing god knows what the crowd will do if my soulful renditions of nickleback songs don't don't sound right

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

iostream.h posted:

I thought they were the official lawyertar?

Official (succesful) lawyertar is any of the Fender artist series. Stuff like Clapton's Blackie replica. $25,000 price tag for something that will probably only get played for five minutes.

Stux posted:

You can grab a chapman ml-1 for like £360 and I'd take that over any SE PRS any day.

Those things are solid. They focused on building guitars with solid materials that can't be replaced, then cheaped out on the pickups, bridge, tuners etc. because those are items anybody can replace/upgrade quite easily if they wanted to. They ended up with one of the most ideal, 'Buy to upgrade' guitars. One thing I will say is, Rob Chapman heralds his creation as the ultimate community built guitar, and at the time of its release I disagreed because watching the voting process, there was so much central control over it. Three body designs give, ok vote. What material (from this predefined small list)? Obviously, given the scale of the project they can't implement every possible community suggestion, but limiting each voting stage to just three choices seemed a little constrictive and quite contradictory to a, "This is what we want!" guitar. WDE's build is a true community build, and its a wonderfully loving terrible mess. Shame the retractable cable mechanism exploded, that would have been spectacular to see as a working mechanism in the goon guitar.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 28, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sadly I don't have any reverse pots to hand, although I want to put one in sometimes guitar without them knowing. I'm down for putting some in the future goon-tar though.

I feel like sending a copy of this video to the parents of everyone involved along with a hand-written note saying; "This is all your fault.". I want to empty a co2 fire extinguisher in the face of those two assholes so, so badly.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

WDE's build is a true community build, and its a wonderfully loving terrible mess. Shame the retractable cable mechanism exploded, that would have been spectacular to see as a working mechanism in the goon guitar.

"A true community build" is going on that guitar somewhere. I love it.

It is a shame about the cable retractor, but there will be other hoovers. I really want to put one something now. Really, really badly.

iostream.h posted:

Do bear in mind that I DO have to be able to produce something resembling sound from this thing god knows what the crowd will do if my soulful renditions of nickleback songs don't don't sound right

There was a cover band doing a gig at one of my local pubs, they played the music to that "I wanna be a rockstar" song whilst the vocalist sang the lyrics to "Skater boy". It didn't go down well with the crowd, I was pissing myself though.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

God, I can't wait 'till Frankentaur is finished and gets played so much the fur gets all gummed up with all the grossness that comes from getting played a bunch. It'll take what? A week?

Also, White Dog Eggs, after this, do a bass. Do iiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
couldn't you just make a reverse tone pot by wiring it to nothing instead of a capacitor?

a no-tone pot

e: i guess this is somewhat not what is needed but it's still funny

the emperor's new tone

• Locked thread