Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Those farseers and warlocks are pretty dope but I'm fairly sure that's considered warez and not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SoftDrink posted:

One of my friends have the original Forge World ones.

Did you just straight up link a recasting site? :stare:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 28, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SoftDrink posted:

Well it is true it's not GWs Failcast that everyone loves.

It's also not 2007 so the word "fail" sounds really dumb and childish. My mom talks about her "fails".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's also not 2007 so the word "fail" sounds really dumb and childish. My mom talks about her "fails".

Your mom must talk about you a lot then.

Or

Your mom does talk about you a lot.

or

The other night your mom did mention you.

or

Oh , I thought that was just what your mom named you.

or

I bet you get sick of hearing about yourself.

Okay I'm done.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Did you just straight up link a recasting site? :stare:

Ya Forge World dose not make it any more.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Is any one going to the Renegade Open it's a GT in Minnesota. A small group from my store went last time and had a lot of fun.
http://www.renegadeopen.com/

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
What I want to know is why we haven't seen any pics of Cataphract playing with Goons at Warhammer World posted here yet!?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

SoftDrink posted:

Ya Forge World dose not make it any more.

Forgeworld never made it, that was an old ArmorCast model from way back when GW contracted them out to do things like titans and whatnot before Forgeworld was a thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Devlan Mud posted:

Forgeworld never made it, that was an old ArmorCast model from way back when GW contracted them out to do things like titans and whatnot before Forgeworld was a thing.

A friend of mine has been trying to hunt down the unreleased Imperial Knight from them; they show up once in a while but dang I'd really love one to go with my Ultras.

God dang these guys paint up fast:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

What I want to know is why we haven't seen any pics of Cataphract playing with Goons at Warhammer World posted here yet!?

Apologies for these being links and not in the thread. These are the two photos I snapped. I wish I had taken more. It was a really fun day although we hung out a bit more than played. Cataphract very kindly agreed to be the odd man out during the first game and then lunch and post prandial ham chat did until home time for us who had to leave in the late afternoon.

http://m.imgur.com/YgDeekM
http://i.imgur.com/O4HLwBM.jpg

These are my two pics. Cataphract is in the background obviously. In the foreground are my blood angels facing off against the awesome rogue trader Salamanders of Zark the Damned. What you can see is a very bold scout move on the part of the two Baal Predators which promptly backfired spectacularly when initiative was seized and they had ultimately driven out into the face of the salamander guns.

Suffice to say the game did not go well for the sons of Sanguinous. Despite a deep striking land raider falling from the sky into the heart of the Salamander lines there was no answer to the Salamanders fire power.

It was really great to meet all the guys who went along. Thanks to Caraphract for inviting us!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cataphract came all the way from Australia to play with goon warhams at Warhammer World and you made him sit out the first battle? :crossarms:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I never got the idea behind Scout being on BA vehicles. I mean, the things are bright red. Surely it's not that hard to notice a bright red tank trying to outflank your position.
It would be even funnier if they had Infiltrate instead :v:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Cataphract came all the way from Australia to play with goon warhams at Warhammer World and you made him sit out the first battle? :crossarms:

He had super show biz calls to make.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Linking a recasting site is iffy at best so I edited out the link to Not Failcast, sorry guys. :v:

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

JackMack posted:

He had super show biz calls to make.

It was really unfortunate how that worked out: I don't think any of us were expecting that first set of games to go on for so long.

I also feel pretty bad that I took my DSLR with me and completely forgot to take any pictures.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Farsight Enclaves has explicit permission in its book to ally with Tau, which overrides the standard BRB restriction. You would be giving up either Shadowsun or the Support Commander, but that isn't crippling if you have Markerlights in the list.

I threw this version together for you based off your other stuff. I'm not sure what models you have or any of that, but I think it could work pretty well:

code:
FARSIGHT ENCLAVES COMBINED ARMS
Commander (2 Missile Pod, Drone Controller, Target Lock)
6 Stealth Suits (2 Fusion Blaster)
1 Riptide (Heavy Burst Cannon, Smart Missiles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning, Earth Caste Array)
3 Crisis Suits (2 Missile Pods, Target Lock, 6 Marker Drones, Bonding Knives)
2 Crisis Suits (TLFusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Bonding Knives)
3 Crisis (Plasma/Plasma/Drone Controller; Plasma/Plasma/Vectored Retrothrusters; Plasma/Plasma, 6 Gun Drones, Bonding Knives)
2 Crisis Suits (Missile Pod, Missile Pod, Bonding Knives)
4 Sniper Drones (2 Marksmen)
4 Sniper Drones (2 Marksmen)

TAU EMPIRE COMBINED ARMS
Commander Shadowsun (Command Link Drone, Warlord)
Ethereal
16 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 1 Kroot Hound)
15 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 2 Kroot Hound)
5 Pathfinders
1 Aegis Defense Line (Quad Gun)
There's plenty of additional variation you could go on with this; the Aegis Line is in there because Kroot and Missile Crisis love hiding behind it- in fact, if you wanted you could probably throw a handful of Gun or Shield Drones onto the small Crisis to give them a touch more survivability. Shadowsun goes with the Plasma unit, Commander goes with the big Missile unit. Riptide + Quad Gun should give you more than sufficient AA most of the time, and your troops are all very mobile. Ethereal hangs out in the backfield with Kroot to keep everything alive and functioning (FNP is gonna be your usual bonus for him, though volleying Pulse when the enemy gets close isn't bad.) If you feel a bit light on AT you could trade one of the Missile units for some more Fusion, but I think you'll be fine in that regard. It's a lot of bodies and a lot of scoring units, even if they aren't always the toughest ones in the world. Don't be afraid to leave the Kroot in reserve if you're afraid of Ignores Cover guns on the other side of the table killing your Ethereal- he's not critical to your main game plan.

Thanks a ton, man. I like the looks of that, and it uses a lot of models I already have--I'm still building my Tau collection, so I'm plenty open to buying more! I forgot Ethereals would work with Kroot, so I didn't take one, but they ARE quite nice.

Aegis line I DON'T have, but I've been planning to pick up some Mantic Battlezones anyway for terrain, and those have parts that're perfect for one.

I'll need to adjust two of my Crisis suits because they came from Ebay as fusion/plasma, but that should be doable. The rest are/will be magnetized, so that's no concern!

Thanks again; I really appreciate the assistance!

Looks like that list would be really strong at playing to objectives (which fits the flavor!), thanks to the large amount of jet pack Objective Secured. I do note the Stealth Suits need to either go in the Tau Empire list or take Bonding Knife--every Farsight unit that gets access to Bonding Knife must take it. But the slot's open for that, so it's not a concern!

This basically fits my original Tau plan of a battlesuit heavy list really well, but with the auxillaries needed to make that viable. Rock on.

I'm also planning, because I have the models, an alternate list with Fire Warriors in devilfish, some broadsides, and a hammerhead. Might post that at some point, but I'll let the thread see some other stuff for a bit first :v:.

EDIT: Oh, where are the rules for an Aegis line? Not sure if I'll use it or not--setting up defenses seems a bit counter to my commando flaver--but I need to take a look at the mechanics (and point cost!) before I decide for sure!

Hm. The list as written appears to cost 2151 points, oh no! I'll clear out something!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 28, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it was a fun day, I thought we'd have time for at least two games whilst you guys were there but beers got in the way. I did have a game with with Demitri, one of the studio painters, and his stunning Blood Angels after you guys left and got to hang out with Paul Rudge and play with his Mortarion and one of the new forge world knights. So it definitely wasn't a wash from my end but it's a shame we didn't get that second round in. Here's some pics of the gooniest goons I ever gooned. It was sweet to see that RT salamders army and all those praetorians.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Who's going to Nova? WOM and I are on our way right now.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

I cast invisibility on my vortex missile battery strongpoint in a game last night just as it was down to its final hull point, but it got blowed up anyway when a nearby vindicator shot the psyker squad that had cast the spell and were thusly standing high in the air on its invisible battlements. One of the stray missiles that got detonated upon its destruction scattered perfectly to clip both of my Deathstrike launchers.

That unit is an unending well of comedy.

This is glorious. I'm picturing it like your army was the bad guys from Commando, and Anrie has just rigged your entire base to blow with nothing but a little C4 and some frag grenades. I hope you managed to shoot the Death Strike missiles before this happened!

BULBASAUR posted:

I can think of one good troll against a space wizard army: word bearers with a navigator:

-Enemy Psykers taking Perils of the Warp automatically suffer Instant Death
-All Psykers, friend or foe, roll three dice and discard the lowest result for the purposes of determining Perils of the Warp results

But yeah invisibility is silly

Is this 30K only? Because if I ever go down that route I think I know what to do now.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Quick 30k question. A friend of mine is starting a Word Bearers army and wants to run Daemon allies. Am I right in thinking the only HQ choices he can have in a standard list would be the Diabolist and the second compulsory Centurion or Chaplain?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Had to pare down from what Abuse Puppy posted--he was 151 over the 2k goal!
code:
FARSIGHT ENCLAVES COMBINED ARMS 
Commander (2 Missile Pod, Drone Controller, Target Lock) [128]
1 Riptide (Heavy Burst Cannon, Smart Missiles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning, Earth Caste Array) [235]
3 Crisis Suits (2 Missile Pods, Target Lock, 6 Marker Drones, Bonding Knives) [246]
2 Crisis Suits (TLFusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Bonding Knives) [116]
3 Crisis (Plasma/Plasma/Drone Controller; Plasma/Plasma/Vectored Retrothrusters; Plasma/Plasma, 6 Gun Drones, Bonding Knives) [244]
2 Crisis Suits (Missile Pod, Missile Pod, Bonding Knives)[106]
2 Crisis Suits (Missile Pod, Missile Pod, Bonding Knives) [106]
2 Crisis Suits (Missile Pod, Missile Pod, Bonding Knives) [106]
4 Sniper Drones (2 Marksmen) [86]
4 Sniper Drones (2 Marksmen) [86]

TAU EMPIRE COMBINED ARMS
Commander Shadowsun (Command Link Drone, Warlord) [155]
15 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 2 Kroot Hound) [115]
15 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 2 Kroot Hound) [115]
6 Stealth Suits (2 Fusion Blaster) [190]
5 Pathfinders [55]
Dropped the aegis line in part for fluff reasons. It didn't fit my goal of an agile commando force! The Ethereal was a bit of a hard choice to drop, but I think I'd prefer to keep the active combtants over him. Swapping a kroot for a kroot hound took the last point there and gave me some symmetry.

If anyone's up for a vassal battle this weekend, I'd love to try this out!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fuegan posted:

Quick 30k question. A friend of mine is starting a Word Bearers army and wants to run Daemon allies. Am I right in thinking the only HQ choices he can have in a standard list would be the Diabolist and the second compulsory Centurion or Chaplain?

There are two possible HQ selections if you're using the WB Rite of War: A Praetor, a Centurion, and a Diabolist, or a Praetor, a Chaplain, and a Diabolist.

If you mean a standard list as in the default FOC list, it's not possible.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 28, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sir Teabag posted:

This is glorious. I'm picturing it like your army was the bad guys from Commando, and Anrie has just rigged your entire base to blow with nothing but a little C4 and some frag grenades. I hope you managed to shoot the Death Strike missiles before this happened!

Immediately before. One landed on Marneus Calgar's fat head and was absorbed in its entirety by the Storm Shield of the Terminator standing next to him. The other one flew completely off target, annihilated one of my vet squads, killed half of the psykers who had cast that invisibility spell, melted a drop pod, and dealt the penultimate wound to the bunker. So I guess you could say it was payback? To think, if I had only shot myself just a tiny bit better, the Vindicator wouldn't have been able to see me and I would have lived.

I am coming to realize that I am fielding COBRA.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

There are two possible HQ selections if you're using the WB Rite of War: A Praetor, a Centurion, and a Diabolist, or a Praetor, a Chaplain, and a Diabolist.

If you mean a standard list as in the default FOC list, it's not possible.

Of course, Centurions don't have Master of the Legion. Good work, me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

I am coming to realize that I am fielding COBRA.
I mean, it sounds like you're fielding the Terrordrome every battle anyway.

I was at a tournament last June and a guy there had a COBRA t-shirt and an IG army all converted up like COBRA. I think Destro was his Lord Commissar.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SRM posted:

I mean, it sounds like you're fielding the Terrordrome every battle anyway.

I was at a tournament last June and a guy there had a COBRA t-shirt and an IG army all converted up like COBRA. I think Destro was his Lord Commissar.

Please tell me he lost every game :allears:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HiveCommander posted:

Please tell me he lost every game :allears:
He took a kinda cheesy list using basically one of every Forgeworld flyer available to IG; he didn't do very well but from the sounds of it his army was really not fun to play against. His Leman Russes were converted like HISS tanks though, and that was cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is this the guy your talking about? Only picture I could find, but I know there's been several COBRA , GI Joe armies for Imperial Guard. I wish I could find it but I know for a fact there's a amazing Roadblock as Harker I think conversion floating around.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fuegan posted:

If he takes Erebus/Kor Phaeron they can do this without 3 HQs, otherwise yeah

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ask AbusePuppy about his GI Joe playset.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

Is this the guy your talking about? Only picture I could find, but I know there's been several COBRA , GI Joe armies for Imperial Guard. I wish I could find it but I know for a fact there's a amazing Roadblock as Harker I think conversion floating around.

Nah, that looks more like a Marine army. This guy ran IG, and he had the Cobra logo stenciled across the wings of one of his planes. I don't remember if he had a display board.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
The more I play with the new ork codex, the more I love it. Units of Single deffkoptas are obscene for maelstrom of war missions; 12" scout 12" move and 24" turbo boost lets them get to just about any objective on the table, their guns are a nuisance to vehicles. And, if your opponent wants to get rid of them they have to devote resources to do the job. Resources that are not targeting the rest of your army which is now racing across the table and, if your opponent does take one out, they've only shot away 30 points.

I think I am also at the point where I like the new mob rule more than the old one. It's made small squads such as meganobz much more viable (I've been running two squads of 3 in trukks) and my bacon has been saved from getting pinned by the mob rule when those trukks inevitably crash and burn, which generally doesn't matter cause they're already on the other end of the battlefield after turn 1. I should mention that a single, scouting deffkopta is good for giving those trukks a cover save if you are going second/lose the inititative and you're playing on a table without LOS blocking terrain.

A mega warboss with the lucky stixx leading a big mob of 30 footslogging choppa boys. put him up front and he can weather all the AP3+ shots himself with his 2+ rerollable save and if the odd lascannon shot comes through you can LOS to a boy. It's an unbelievably tough unit to crack if you haven't brought the right tools. And with ere we go and waaagh! even that unit is going to get a turn two charge and I'm confident it won't break or get pinned on its way there. Plus you can throw in a regular nob and a mek to take challenges and keep your warboss away from ap2 weapons.

Bring a second warboss along with da finking cap and get an additional strategic trait. with the reroll from a combined arms detachment you can roll on that table 4 times which gives you a pretty good chance of infiltrating that mob of 30 boyz and that megaboss!

So yeah, basically wanted to say it's been a while since it landed, I've played with it a bit now and I think it's great.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Yeah it was a fun day, I thought we'd have time for at least two games whilst you guys were there but beers got in the way. I did have a game with with Demitri, one of the studio painters, and his stunning Blood Angels after you guys left and got to hang out with Paul Rudge and play with his Mortarion and one of the new forge world knights. So it definitely wasn't a wash from my end but it's a shame we didn't get that second round in. Here's some pics of the gooniest goons I ever gooned. It was sweet to see that RT salamders army and all those praetorians.

Badass objective marker! :P

Man that looks like a fun day. I'm going to be out there in early November. Really looking forward to my return trip. Glad Paul came down and hung with you a bit. He's a great guy.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SoftDrink posted:

Is any one going to the Renegade Open it's a GT in Minnesota. A small group from my store went last time and had a lot of fun.

I played there last year, Got best IG and the best-worst luck trophy. My buddy won best general in the RTT. We are going again this year and are probably bringing a 6-8 member team.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

NOVA is this weekend , I know two goons are going anyone else ? What are you bringing? Also new rumours are that Dark Eldar are September which I toooootallly said would be them or Necrons.

Calling it now that their transports will be Fast Attack choices as well similar to Space Wolves, which means Eldar will have access to them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 28, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

SoftDrink posted:

I'll be there. Hell, it's being run and operated by some of my best warhammer buddies. I'll be bringing a Tyranids/IG list.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'm trying out my Dark Vengeance stuff in a terrain-heavy 500 pt game this weekend. Not sure what I'm playing against yet--IG, Tau, or Space Marines--but vehicles are very unlikely and there'll be a ton of heavy cover. I'm aware that this list is godawful (my model selection is basically DV stuff minus Helbrute plus a Terminator Lord) but I'd appreciate a little feedback all the same:

Sorcerer (ML3), Force Axe, Terminator Armor, Spell Familiar, Mark of Nurgle - 165

10 Cultists, Heavy Stubber, 8x Autoguns, Shotgun - 65

10 Cultists, Flamer - 55

5 Chosen, Mark of Nurgle, Veterans of the Long War, Lightning Claws, Power Axe, Power Fist; Champion has Power Axe, Combi-Melta, Melta Bombs - 215

Thoughts? I've never played Chaos before so I'm looking for general tactical pointers, not advanced listbuilding critique, although I'm happy to tweak stuff. The Chosen are just a kill team that I added 15 points of garbage to, which is why they're so unfocused. I'm thinking of doing Telepathy with one Lore of Nurgle spell on the sorcerer.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 28, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Allow me to make my first time providing any 'help' to a fellow Chaos player...
I would maybe fit your Chosen with 4 plasmas and a combi-plasma on your Champion, for some hard-hitting FU action. You're not expecting vehicles, otherwise you might want to go meltas.

Use the Cultists as ablative armor for your sorcerer and if you draw helpful buff spells keep him in range of your Chosen, and use his squad and the other Cultist group to sit on objectives. Stay in cover (ruins are the most helpful with their 6+ save) as much as possible. This will make your Chosen the primary targets, so keep them cover if you can, but if your Sorcerer can get in range, swamp the enemy with Cultists and use his Force weapon (remember you get that power for free, IIRC) that should keep the other guys busy.

Do you have the Helbrute from the DV set? If he fits in the points, you can drop a lot of the expensive assault options on the Chosen and get him - he's only 100 pts.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

The wording of the codex allows you to take a plasma gun on the Chosen Champion, so you can take little 5-man plasma hit squads. They're pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Echoing that chosen are far better off as a ranged AP2 squad than melee.

• Locked thread