Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

How the material is compacted during cure factors hugely as well.

The only reason I'd be afraid of a CF bike is how they fail. I'd rather have a bike fold up a bit than have it abruptly shatter (rupture or delaminate, in technical terms) and jam a jagged, sharp carbon fiber piece into my leg. Carbon fiber itches about a million times worse than fiberglass, too, even if you aren't allergic to epoxy.

CF won't fail until well after the other materials would have been a twisted mess. It's the same fallacious thinking that gets stupid people to use grade 5 hardware in their suspension, when grade 8 won't even yield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

CF won't fail until well after the other materials would have been a twisted mess. It's the same fallacious thinking that gets stupid people to use grade 5 hardware in their suspension, when grade 8 won't even yield.

The sad thing is, I know this. And I've ranted about that previously.

I don't have an intuitive grasp of CF vs metals I guess.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Basically, a well designed and properly manufactured CF component in an appropriate application, like a bike frame and fork, will withstand higher forces more frequently and have a longer life cycle.

However, like it's been said, when you design a CF component you have you consider which direction the forces are coming from, because if the force comes from an unexpected direction, like a squirrel hitting the back side of a bicycle fork, they'll fail spectacularly.

Think of crushing a beer can from the sides versus end to end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Basically any non-soluble foreign body, especially the kind that is sharp and digs in and causes constant scarring and irritation, is going to eventually cause serious damage. CF dust, fiberglass, silicates, asbestos, you name it.

The only difference is just how bad it is.

I read somewhere a while back that carbon fiber is especially nasty because, being carbon, it's organic, so your body doesn't necessarily recognize it as a foreign body (asbestos might share this property, or I could just be remembering wrong). Thus, it will happily go on punching holes in your lung cells and their DNA for the rest of your life.

No idea how accurate that is, though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fucknag posted:

I read somewhere a while back that carbon fiber is especially nasty because, being carbon, it's organic, so your body doesn't necessarily recognize it as a foreign body (asbestos might share this property, or I could just be remembering wrong). Thus, it will happily go on punching holes in your lung cells and their DNA for the rest of your life.

No idea how accurate that is, though.

So all those "import tuners" who sand and buf their crap carbon fiber hoods and awful fitting body kits are going to die early.. YAY..
If they get a settlement I'll be mad.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Now I can't decide whether my next bike will be full CF or if that'll give me some kind of awful lung cancer.

Regardless, here is some semi-relevant content (found sans context):

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
A six month old ES300 sacrificed itself today to save my grandmother from what could've been a whole lot worse than a broken rib and foot. Not getting into it but it's the last time she'll ever be behind the wheel of a car.

30-40mph straight into a two-foot wide tree, and the tree wasn't going anywhere. It was enough to demolish the crumple zone and compromise the cabin, especially on the passenger side. And it literally *wrapped* itself around the tree, a special tow truck was needed to pull it out. I got the task of getting her belongings out but the car is so hosed I could only get one door open, even the trunk is jammed.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

szidev posted:

Now I can't decide whether my next bike will be full CF or if that'll give me some kind of awful lung cancer.

As long as you aren't exposed to any small particles you should be fine...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

A six month old ES300 sacrificed itself today to save my grandmother from what could've been a whole lot worse than a broken rib and foot. Not getting into it but it's the last time she'll ever be behind the wheel of a car.

30-40mph straight into a two-foot wide tree, and the tree wasn't going anywhere. It was enough to demolish the crumple zone and compromise the cabin, especially on the passenger side. And it literally *wrapped* itself around the tree, a special tow truck was needed to pull it out. I got the task of getting her belongings out but the car is so hosed I could only get one door open, even the trunk is jammed.

Thats a mechanical success.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My bike actually had a mechanical failure yesterday. Bent the front derailleur (I'm guessing on a bad downshift when crossing the one busy street on my commute) far enough that it was hitting the crank arm. Managed to trim it so that I could at least ride it to the shop to get it fixed, and then the front wheel decided to go out of true right as I got there. Not a good day for that bike.

The carbon fork on it is great even if all the metal bits suck though!

P7120136.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Chinatown posted:

Thats a mechanical success.

Maybe, I understand offset impacts are difficult to deal with but the passenger side caved in real bad, I probably should've taken pictures of the inside but I really just wanted to find the handicapped placard (yes, I'm a monster) and get out since the car was just full of tossed around garbage. Had she hit it on the other end it would've ended much worse. Not surprising given the ES is just a tarted up Camry. The most impressive mechanical success was that it managed to run for a few seconds despite the engine sitting practically halfway in the cabin.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If she'd done that 50 years ago you'd have been scooping her out of the loving backseat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 28, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

NOTinuyasha posted:

Had she hit it on the other end it would've ended much worse. Not surprising given the ES is just a tarted up Camry. T

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. It sounds like you are saying the ES is not as safe as it could be because it is just a fancy Toyota. The camry is one of the safest cars in the world.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NOTinuyasha posted:

Maybe, I understand offset impacts are difficult to deal with but the passenger side caved in real bad, I probably should've taken pictures of the inside but I really just wanted to find the handicapped placard (yes, I'm a monster) and get out since the car was just full of tossed around garbage. Had she hit it on the other end it would've ended much worse. Not surprising given the ES is just a tarted up Camry. The most impressive mechanical success was that it managed to run for a few seconds despite the engine sitting practically halfway in the cabin.

Haha no. No no no no no. Go watch a 91 civic crash some time and get back to us.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

Look at your photo. The A pillar has 0 crumple/folding. Thats pretty impressive considering the insane kinetic energy delivered to the front right quarter of that car at the speed you described. The god drat windshield appears to not have even broken, which is impressive on its own.

That car won.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Chinatown posted:

Look at your photo. The A pillar has 0 crumple/folding. Thats pretty impressive considering the insane kinetic energy delivered to the front right quarter of that car at the speed you described. The god drat windshield appears to not have even broken, which is impressive on its own.

That car won.

The windshield was trashed and the car is way more hosed up than the photo makes it out to be, I could only pry open the front left door, and I think that's cause the rescue people already pulled it open. That A-pillar looks alright but the dashboard on that side cracked and caved in and would've injured a passenger worse. I guess I expected better from such an expensive, gigantic car but to be clear I already gave it credit for saving her life. Most of her injuries came from the airbags, which is unavoidable when coming to a full stop within the span of the front bumper to the dashboard...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's only very recently that small overlap frontal ratings have even become a thing - its a very hard test and even otherwise very safe vehicles can fail it spectacularly

Pretty much any design more than a few years old has no chance - even in the case of that relatively new Lexus there has been a major structural revision to improve results.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

The windshield was trashed and the car is way more hosed up than the photo makes it out to be, I could only pry open the front left door, and I think that's cause the rescue people already pulled it open. That A-pillar looks alright but the dashboard on that side cracked and caved in and would've injured a passenger worse. I guess I expected better from such an expensive, gigantic car but to be clear I already gave it credit for saving her life. Most of her injuries came from the airbags, which is unavoidable when coming to a full stop within the span of the front bumper to the dashboard...

Not trying to get on ya. The windshield cracking a bit is expected. The car is expensive because its a dolled up luxury Camry but the safety features are all Toyota, and are designed to absorb kinetic energy and looks like it worked.

That said, did the passenger airbags not inflate? I'm not sure if those are on a system where they only work if there is someone actively sitting in the passenger seat at impact. I'm not well versed in how modern airbag systems deploy and sense people.

How old is the grandma, by the way? Glad she picked out a great car. I used to valet at a Lexus dealership and ES sedans were the de-facto old person car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The doors not opening means that the passenger compartment cell has been compromised - which is not ideal.

That said, I am sure that it only takes a little bit of distortion to prevent a door opening, so perhaps it isn't a big deal.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

jamal posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. It sounds like you are saying the ES is not as safe as it could be because it is just a fancy Toyota. The camry is one of the safest cars in the world.

I guess the 2014.5 model is all right after they revised it. It's no Volvo or Subaru though. In any case the current ES isn't based on the Camry anymore, it shares a longer wheelbase with the new Avalon to sell better in China.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Not trying to get on ya. The windshield cracking a bit is expected. The car is expensive because its a dolled up luxury Camry but the safety features are all Toyota, and are designed to absorb kinetic energy and looks like it worked.

That said, did the passenger airbags not inflate? I'm not sure if those are on a system where they only work if there is someone actively sitting in the passenger seat at impact. I'm not well versed in how modern airbag systems deploy and sense people.

How old is the grandma, by the way? Glad she picked out a great car. I used to valet at a Lexus dealership and ES sedans were the de-facto old person car.

Yeah bags only deploy if there is a person sitting in the corresponding seat because they can be counter-productive if they go off with noone there. At the most basic they have a simple pressure sensor in the seat base and a seatbelt buckle switch. Some cars have bags that deploy differently depending on the position of the electric seat to try and optimise the force that it hits you with.

Also, just FYI, the safety features on a lexus are all toyota too :ssh:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

NOTinuyasha posted:

Not surprising given the ES is just a tarted up Camry.

Starting in the 2013 model year, the ES and Avalon share a new platform with a longer wheelbase than the Camry. It's still a relative but not quite as close as it used to be.

e:fb

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah bags only deploy if there is a person sitting in the corresponding seat because they can be counter-productive if they go off with noone there. At the most basic they have a simple pressure sensor in the seat base and a seatbelt buckle switch. Some cars have bags that deploy differently depending on the position of the electric seat to try and optimise the force that it hits you with.

Also, just FYI, the safety features on a lexus are all toyota too :ssh:

I forget what year this change was mandated for but yeah, even stuff as old as say a 2003-2004 WJ chassis jeep has dual-stage advanced frontal airbags.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I guess this goes here.

My brother called me yesterday, terrified. He was driving his car (a '98 Honda Accord) and was experiencing unintended acceleration. He was at a Lowe's and afraid to drive.

I head over there and start poking around. I noticed that the top of his air intake box was completely unlatched, but didn't think much of it. When I pulled the intake off, though, I found something lodged tight in the throttle body, preventing it from closing (it was stuck at about 75% throttle). I managed to free it and pull it out...

It was a radiator cap!

He had a local shop replace his radiator last week (it was leaking bad) and they apparently placed the old cap on top of his filter (why they had the box off, I don't know, they should have had plenty of room) and forgot about it. It got sucked up toward his engine and got jammed under the throttle plate. Scary stuff.

That very, very nearly could have caused an accident and a lawsuit or several. I'm calling the shop shortly to tell them about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I found a ratchet and extensions on top of the filter in the box once. And a wrench in the drivers seat. All after the same trip to the shop. Glad they were heavy enough not to get sucked into the tb, jeez.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I found a nice Snap-On ratchet a while back. Three months earlier a previous mechanic used it on the belt tensioner and left it there. It was very close to taking out the fan.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I found a nice Snap-On ratchet a while back. Three months earlier a previous mechanic used it on the belt tensioner and left it there. It was very close to taking out the fan.

:stare:

Note to self: Inspect the drat vehicle yourself after getting it from a mechanic.

I hope you kept it and never went back, because that seems like a pretty appropriate idiot tax.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I got an 8mm box end wrench and a dirty rag in my battery box last time I let someone work on my truck.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Rorac posted:

:stare:

Note to self: Inspect the drat vehicle yourself after getting it from a mechanic.

I hope you kept it and never went back, because that seems like a pretty appropriate idiot tax.

It wasn't my truck, I was just changing the oil in it. I did keep it and use it frequently. There was also a dead owl stuck up under the bumper that scared the poo poo out of me while sliding under it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I handed my car over to the garage for some work this afternoon, I'm worried now :ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gently caress no, free tools! And birds!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A dead owl ziptied to the grille would be pretty badass, maybe I'm just not looking for the positives.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I think most mechanics will do their best to not leave tools behind. That Snap-On ratchet is $145.00, not something you want to lose.

I left the owl where it was and told the truck owner about it, he had his employee pull it out. It was pretty small, about eight inches tall and frozen (winter). They took it with them when they left.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Let me tell you, the bigger the job the more likely you are to leave something in someone's car. After doing something like head gaskets I'd spend at least 10 minutes making drat sure I got everything back. This is also why I set up my tool box a bit on the anal side with a place for everything and everything in it's place. I can proudly say I've only lost one drat tool in 10 years, a flare wrench I was using to replace a fuel filter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I think most mechanics will do their best to not leave tools behind. That Snap-On ratchet is $145.00, not something you want to lose.

:monocle: I knew they were expensive, but jesus. This, except for the angle joint and the sockets, is what was left in my airbox. Half of an almost-$300 set.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I tell people that 5S stands for:

poo poo
Shinola
Spread
Smash
Steal

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I found a long handle MAC ratchet stuck between the washer bottle and body of a 944 that came into the shop a few months ago. I pulled it out with a magnet and tossed it in my junk cart because it is kind of rusty and we don't have a MAC person. A month or so after that I pull in another 944 and find...a long handle MAC ratchet stuck in between the washer bottle and body. It's also kind of rusty and sitting next to the other one on my junk cart.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Bugdrvr posted:

I found a long handle MAC ratchet stuck between the washer bottle and body of a 944 that came into the shop a few months ago. I pulled it out with a magnet and tossed it in my junk cart because it is kind of rusty and we don't have a MAC person. A month or so after that I pull in another 944 and find...a long handle MAC ratchet stuck in between the washer bottle and body. It's also kind of rusty and sitting next to the other one on my junk cart.

One of the Big-O tire shops in Cheyenne, WY has a huge jar of objects pulled from punctured tires. The amount of tools in the jar is astounding.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Bugdrvr posted:

I found my own 3 foot 3/8 drive extension under the hood of a car when they came back for another oil change. It'd only been missing for a few months… :v:

One time I found 5 drywall screws in one tire. Hope they reamed out their contractor.

Another time I found a whole goddamn lug wrench (the L shaped ones that come with cars, hubcap pry bar on one end, socket on the other end) stuck into the tire. Idiot DROVE IN like that, didn't even notice the tire was low till I said it was drat near flat. Only the end of the L with the socket on it was sticking out. I have no idea how they didn't hear it slapping against the road as they drove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How the gently caress? I got a paperclip stuck in a tire and every time it scratched my fender I could hear something. It drove me nuts after about 1/4 of a mile and I pulled over to figure it out (and was mildly annoyed, because seriously a loving paperclip?).