Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

dMastri posted:

the best thing zoe quinn could do at this point, if she was serious about being game dev (she's not), is shut the gently caress up for a year, hunker down, and make an honest to goodness real live game

Zoe making a video game? I don't believe it!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

facialimpediment posted:

Pretty much. Hard to point to the hilarity of psychotic poo poo when goons actually believe it.

how much you have going to zoe's cuck fund every month?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Fire Barrel posted:

Are gamers so loving stupid they can't figure out that there are valid ways to criticize and debate poo poo without sounding like uneducated, misogynistic shitheads?

Yes.
My baseless theory is that because it's an entertainment industry and a lot of games have been designed around entitlement (streamlining, accessibility, one button mode) that some of them have been given exactly what they've wanted for many, many years. They've been given an expectation of being fulfilled.
Fanboyism is still alive, and from the competitive nature of the games that most dudes play, the only form of debate they've sharpened was calling eachother gay faggots and killstealers and coming up with new ways of soliciting XxGoku420xX's mother for sex.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
#welovegamedevs is still fuckin funny to me, the supportive tweet campaign to boost the ego of someone faking their own harassment

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Fire Barrel posted:

Are gamers so loving stupid they can't figure out that there are valid ways to criticize and debate poo poo without sounding like uneducated, misogynistic shitheads?

The Sarkeesian Effect guys, at first, sought to include a game where you beat up Anita as a donation incentive.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cycloneman posted:

Yeah, but did you post it to your twitter account about how horribly scared you were of them?

Should I have? poo poo, I hosed this all up.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Deki posted:

Should I have? poo poo, I hosed this all up.
Yeah, that's how you make bank.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

mkes u tink

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Erata posted:

Yes.
My baseless theory is that because it's an entertainment industry and a lot of games have been designed around entitlement (streamlining, accessibility, one button mode) that some of them have been given exactly what they've wanted for many, many years. They've been given an expectation of being fulfilled.
Fanboyism is still alive, and from the competitive nature of the games that most dudes play, the only form of debate they've sharpened was calling eachother gay faggots and killstealers and coming up with new ways of soliciting XxGoku420xX's mother for sex.

*nods respectively toward u*

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
haha

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FAROOQ posted:

mkes u tink

i like this guy

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

FAROOQ posted:

mkes u tink

lmao

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

FAROOQ posted:

mkes u tink

viral marketing for gone home 2

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAROOQ posted:

mkes u tink

lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Danger Mahoney posted:

how much you have going to zoe's cuck fund every month?

0. Patreon is stupid and everyone involved in this entire thing on every side is idiotic and deserves to be pointed at.

When goons believe conspiracy scribbles from mentally damaged idiots instead of laughing at them, there's a problem and it distracts from the pointing. It's also not good when the conversation moves from 'hmm those ovens couldn't have possible burned all those people' to 'even if they did they should've known better lol'.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
http://dangolding.tumblr.com/post/95985875943/the-end-of-gamers

quote:

First, a developer—a woman who makes games who has had so much piled on to her that I don’t want to perpetuate things by naming her—was the target of a harassment campaign that attacked her personal life and friendships. Campaigns of personal harassment aimed at game developers are nothing new. They are dismayingly common among those who happen to be women, or not white straight men, and doubly so if they also happen to make the sort of game that in any way challenge the status quo, even if that challenge is only made through their very existence. The viciousness and ferocity with which this campaign occurred, however, was shocking, and certainly out of the ordinary. This was something more than routine misogyny (and in games, it often is routine, shockingly). It was an ugly spectacle that should haunt and shame those involved for the rest of their lives.

It's like impossible for someone to be this much of a fag.

big duck equals goose fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 28, 2014

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Oncogene posted:

viral marketing for gone home 2

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deki posted:

She definitely doesn't have to fake any screenshots. I got a few dumbass threats for posting on SA that a lovely indie dev was poo poo a few years ago. Fanatical nerds are everywhere.

You are full of poo poo if something like that really happened there would be a news article about it. It only took a couple hours to report on the threats Anita received.

Link to news article and donation page or it didn't happen.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
why have I not heard #quinnghazi before now what the gently caress internet

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

how do you say "I don't want to use the term battle lightly" and then unironically say "its more like a war" in the same sentence, when talking about video games

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FAROOQ posted:

mkes u tink

This guy's got the right idea

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

gamers

Woden
May 6, 2006

DrPlump posted:

You are full of poo poo if something like that really happened there would be a news article about it. It only took a couple hours to report on the threats Anita received.

Link to news article and donation page or it didn't happen.

I can't tell who's fake posting anymore.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

DrPlump posted:

You are full of poo poo if something like that really happened there would be a news article about it.
Unless Deki is a woman, your premise is wrong.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I dunno, in this battle of one-upsmanship about leaving houses, I think Anita is going to win because more people care about Anita and other than her boring videos she's a pretty regular person. Zoe isn't clever enough to keep up with Anita and her living situation is a sad piece of poo poo like she is, so Zoe probably couldn't WAIT to leave her house.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Erata posted:

Yes.

I guess, but it seems to be a bigger issue. I think the inability to debate or take criticism goes deeper than that. A lot of nerds, and actually many people that consider themselves net activists, have trouble accepting things like nuance and compromise, categorizing any divergent opinions as attacks or signs of being wrong. I think something about the instant feedback of the internet, coupled with entitlement and other stuff, may have helped shape this. Gamers are just an extreme example, as most games are indeed designed around entitlement/power fantasies, so it breeds that mentality in spades

Honestly, I have a lot of niche hobbies, like playing games or actively enjoying history/working in archives, but if people talk poo poo about them, or don't place the same importance on them, I don't become an outraged mess.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The posters in this thread that think the obviously fake threats are real and actually believe Anita is in danger are detracting from the comedy of laughing at her shilling for donations and attention.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

- Jeopardy wunderkind Arthur Chu
- Jayne from Firefly

Which other celebrities have weighed in on this nonsense?

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Did anybody post this yet? Sorry if they did:

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

Which other celebrities have weighed in on this nonsense?

me

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Can't we have some women involved in games who aren't causing all of this nonsense?

Nobody sends Gail Simone death threats. I didn't even care about Sarkeesian until it became likely that she was actually a scam artist, and I only care about Quinn because I kind of hate what SJW's do and everything about them, but it's getting ridiculous, all the Internet critics have dived onto this train and now everyone's being lovely to girls online.

I don't understand. I play video games, I don't hack people's poo poo and send them death threats or whatever. I don't know anyone who would do this. I can't believe that every complaint about this is a lie to generate sympathy, and I can't believe that the majority of gamers are complicit and active in doing this.

I don't know what to believe anymore, except that both Quinn and Sarkeesian have failed to be actual agents of change or voices for the interests of women in their chosen fields, and have instead become either targets of mockery, disdain, and contempt. Sarkeesian manages to somehow keep her head above water, but is that really a good thing? Tim Schaefer please don't fellate her, Tim stop.

now adam sessler is in it too why is everything i once loved getting sucked into the poo poo

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
a new video game "The Girl Who Had To Threaten to Rape Herself For Attention" you'll never guess the lead developer this is gonna make big waves

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Joss Whedon & Adam Baldwin are going to wrestle for champion of the online gender war

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cycloneman posted:

it's a man irrelevant

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cycloneman posted:

34 seconds... ~conspiracy

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Feminist 1: Hey, you know, I had a death threat sent to me on Tumblr.
Feminist 2: Yeah, me too, I had three.
Feminist 1: Yeah, well, uh, I had a rape threat on Twitter.
Feminist 2: Twitter? Please, I had a man say he was going to rape me on the way into work today.
Feminist 1: Well, I WAS raped on the way into work today.
Feminist 2: I was raped AND beaten up. By TWO guys.
Feminist 1: Well, that happened to me in the company lobby!
Feminist 2: That happened to me just a few minutes ago!
Feminist 1: That's happening to me right now! Therefore my struggle is worse. Donate to my Patreon.
Feminist 2: No, donate to MY Patreon! Where the hell is that Tweet from that PBS nerd comparing me to Rosa Parks? Nobody question me until I retweet it.
Man: Shouldn't you guys go to the cops and keep this private?
Feminist 1: Shut up, pig! Apologize and donate or we're throwing you to our rabid followers who will rape and beat you with sick burn Tweets.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Et tu, Sessler?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cycloneman posted:

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

FrostedButts posted:

Feminist 1: Hey, you know, I had a death threat sent to me on Tumblr.
Feminist 2: Yeah, me too, I had three.
Feminist 1: Yeah, well, uh, I had a rape threat on Twitter.
Feminist 2: Twitter? Please, I had a man say he was going to rape me on the way into work today.
Feminist 1: Well, I WAS raped on the way into work today.
Feminist 2: I was raped AND beaten up. By TWO guys.
Feminist 1: Well, that happened to me in the company lobby!
Feminist 2: That happened to me just a few minutes ago!
Feminist 1: That's happening to me right now! Therefore my struggle is worse. Donate to my Patreon.
Feminist 2: No, donate to MY Patreon! Where the hell is that Tweet from that PBS nerd comparing me to Rosa Parks? Nobody question me until I retweet it.
Man: Shouldn't you guys go to the cops and keep this private?
Feminist 1: Shut up, pig! Apologize and donate or we're throwing you to our rabid followers who will rape and beat you with sick burn Tweets.

the aristocrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cycloneman posted:

Man up dude it isn't like you are a weak useless girl who is slave to her emotions.

• Locked thread