Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god FROM, I cannot wait to see what you do with NPCs in the third DLC. :allears:

They're going to do it, aren't they? One of the NPC summons is going to use warmth on a boss, run in a corner and start using the "Very Good!" carving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have no idea if my stats are too low (new character, SL 108) but my Partizan +10 is tickling the enemies and the GreatBow/Flamesword guy barely takes damage from my attacks. I'm basically stuck in the area past the Tower Key gate, and was wondering if I should just proceed through the rest of the game until I get the Aishen Heart.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The bossfights in DLC were pretty awesome, and I thought the tower was cool, but goddamn gently caress everything about Iron Tunnel. I don't even think I'm going to bother, it's just the most annoying slog and I'm not getting any non-NPC summons.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Thumbtacks posted:

is it even possible to swap a self infusion? I know you can swap the moveset (which should definitely be done asap) but could you make it so stabbing yourself with the KttE would give you a buff?

So you know before you try, it does work. However, the infusiuon graphic is specifically tuned for the Bewitched Alonne Greatsword, and is thus badly off-center if you try to use it with the Key.

This said, you should be able to make it apply some other buff if you know what you're doing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Hakkesshu posted:

The bossfights in DLC were pretty awesome, and I thought the tower was cool, but goddamn gently caress everything about Iron Tunnel. I don't even think I'm going to bother, it's just the most annoying slog and I'm not getting any non-NPC summons.

You can skip two of the gauntlets by running towards the fireball spitting statue before the grill door goes down again. Avoiding getting hit is not hard and the time window is fairly generous but I'd recommend getting the Gyrm Greatshield just in case, although you're probably going to die anyway since all the skellies will dogpile you.

The worst thing, however, is waiting at the end :v: Hope you have enough agility.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's seriously no point to even pull that lever. You just get some consumables from it, and you have to go through the whole thing twice to get all of them.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
I went up top just to kill those loving mages. Getting cursed and then owned by the mob of skeleton warriors was not fun.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I feel the need to point out that it is complete and utter bullshit how FK is completely immune to poison buildup or damage - even the physical part of the attack doesn't deal any damage to him. As a poison-spec build I'm still trying to figure out how to take him out now. Guess I need to uninfuse my falchion or something.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Nahxela posted:

One of the NPC summon phantoms will drop Hellos. I like these phantoms. They're great.

Also, apparently Sir Alonne has an alternate death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMI3GmhcE7c You have to honor duel him (bow, no healing) and he'll do it.

Oh jeez, now I feel reeeealy bad about summoning for him. I just didn't want to have to put up witha memory solo if i had the choice.

I... may have to ascetic him, as much as I don't like doing that. Weiss' honor as a knight will not accept ganking an honorable opponent.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If I have one major problem with these two DLC packs so far it's their insistence on putting lovely consumables into every freaking chest. I feel like 80% of the loot in both chapters is either dried roots or old radiant lifegems.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Ok so I've loving done everything I can thing to do / find, I've defeated iron tunnel and scoured the place. How do I get to fume knight?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Go down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's nothing else at the bottom of that tower but Majestic right? My brother thought he saw something but I didn't. Also the assassin is great. This whole dlc is really fun and even better than the last.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Ok so I've loving done everything I can thing to do / find, I've defeated iron tunnel and scoured the place. How do I get to fume knight?

God down. Allll the way down. Have you activated the elevators yet?

Hakkesshu posted:

If I have one major problem with these two DLC packs so far it's their insistence on putting lovely consumables into every freaking chest. I feel like 80% of the loot in both chapters is either dried roots or old radiant lifegems.

Yo man, don't knock dried roots. They're the closest we're gonna get to DeS levels of health regen.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Flytrap posted:

God down. Allll the way down. Have you activated the elevators yet?

Aight, Also yes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What advantage does the rapier have over the estoc anyway?

- Lighter
- ???

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

poptart_fairy posted:

What advantage does the rapier have over the estoc anyway?

- Lighter
- ???
More Counter Damage. 140 to the Estoc's 120. It might also use slightly less stamina, I can't remember.

EDIT: And a parry.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Smornstein posted:

Has anyone tried a Bleed Bewitched Allone Sword? I'm considering trying out a DEX build with it but most katanas are not so great in pve.

I don't know if anyone's responded to this yet but I tried infusing it with Bleed and did not like the damage I sacrificed for it. Using the sword with the shadow gauntlets along with the ring you get from the BoB covenant and even then it was really hard to pull off bleed procs in pvp. In pve i just noticed most mobs would die before it would even go off.

Playing around with it for the past two nights I found it alot better to pair it with RoB and Flynn's and keeping the sword with no infusion. The counter damage bonus is really awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok, how the gently caress do you play a greatsword character? :(

I took my hexxer and reddid my stats as a str character following some little guide (altho that wasn't really needed). I feel like:

a) durability goes to poo poo so fast
b) i understand you need to push the sticks to where you're attacking but in the heat of battle you miss (at least I do at these early stages)
c) the damage doesn't seem to be all that good unless I go 2H but I feel so vulnerable

In the end I just switched back to a mace and it was so much stronger. I can't believe that weapon school is so goddamn powerful. Even on my hexxer I was wrecking all manner of things with it.

Is it just a matter of "get guud"?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do you mean the greatsword class or the Greatsword which is the big one?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, how the gently caress do you play a greatsword character? :(

I took my hexxer and reddid my stats as a str character following some little guide (altho that wasn't really needed). I feel like:

a) durability goes to poo poo so fast
b) i understand you need to push the sticks to where you're attacking but in the heat of battle you miss (at least I do at these early stages)
c) the damage doesn't seem to be all that good unless I go 2H but I feel so vulnerable

In the end I just switched back to a mace and it was so much stronger. I can't believe that weapon school is so goddamn powerful. Even on my hexxer I was wrecking all manner of things with it.

Is it just a matter of "get guud"?

The only defense you need is the B button, friend

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're afraid to hold the thing in both hands then yeah, get over it and learn to roll. You could try a great club instead, it'd do strike damage like the maces and still fill the huge weapon role. If you're having durability problems you should put on a Bracing Knuckle Ring. In my current powerstance Blacksteel Katana run it never comes off (though I never actually had one break it's been close enough to get a message during a boss fight and force me to switch to an offhand weapon).

fake edit: wait, do you mean ultra greatswords, greatswords, or the weapon called greatsword (which is an ultra greatsword)?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tae posted:

Do you mean the greatsword class or the Greatsword which is the big one?

Oh, just any greatsword in general.

I am trying to get back to my Demon Souls greatsword character (meat cleaver, shield, witches robes) but it seems in both Dark Souls they changed something that made it not feel right. Ill throw on the bracing knuckle ring tho and see how it goes. I don't mind the slower pace (my hexxer just obliterated everything and I wasn't scared of anything) but I don't need my weapons breaking on me 1/4 into a level (the pirate cove had my weapon almost broken by the time I was going up the steps).

This was that beautiful weapon: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/meat-cleaver

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Oh, just any greatsword in general.

I am trying to get back to my Demon Souls greatsword character (butchers cleaver, shield, witches robes) but it seems in both Dark Souls they changed something that made it not feel right. Ill throw on the bracing knuckle ring tho and see how it goes. I don't mind the slower pace (my hexxer just obliterated everything and I wasn't scared of anything) but I don't need my weapons breaking on me 1/4 into a level (the pirate cove had my weapon almost broken by the time I was going up the steps).

That's just a part of the pirate cove really; I usually never have to worry about durability, but every time I go through there my weapons are almost broken.

And the Meat Cleaver is really more of an Ultra class weapon.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, the distinction is important. The "Greatsword" is an Ultra Greatsword. It attacks slowly but with a long reach and big sweeping arcs. It's useful when you're fighting multiple enemies, e.g. the cannibals in Shaded Woods or the Royal Knight zerg rush. Zweihander has the same moveset but is better if you're a low-level character, though you get it much later than the "Greatsword", paradoxically enough.

Something like the Mirrah Greatsword is an actual Greatsword. It's just a regular sword except slower and slightly larger.

A UGS looks like the sort of thing nobody could ever wield without falling over if it weren't for Anime Physics, or if they did then they'd definitely wield it with both hands. A GS looks like a slightly unwieldy one-handed sword.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There was no distinction in Demon's Souls from what I remember. I really miss the Meat Cleaver, the moveset was amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I have Mirrah's Greatsword laying around - Ill see how that goes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

There was no distinction in Demon's Souls from what I remember. I really miss the Meat Cleaver, the moveset was amazing.

Was it ever replicated? The moveset that is? It felt so perfect - was not too fast but tolerable and I didn't feel like I was throwing boulders like the current big swords (even with more than enough strength). Perhaps I need to boost adaptability?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the number of people dropping summon signs in NG+ levels of souls go down dramatically or will it still be kind of easy to find buddies for bosses? On fights that I imagine I'm the appropriate level for it usually was only a few minutes between summons when I dropped my sign and that was pretty cool.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Butcher Knife is as long as some greatswords but uses a combination of the axe and greatsword moveset; other than not having any thrusting attacks it's pretty good. It does 0 counter damage which sucks though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Manatee Cannon posted:

There absolutely was a distinction, there just weren't very many "greatsword" weapons in Demon's Souls. There has always been a noteworthy speed and moveset difference between Straight Swords, Greatswords, and Ultra Greatswords, even if the categorization has not been obvious.

In DeS, the Longsword is a Straight Sword, Soulbrandt/Demonbrandt/Northern Regalia are Greatswords, and the Dragonbone Smasher is an Ultra Greatsword.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does the number of people dropping summon signs in NG+ levels of souls go down dramatically or will it still be kind of easy to find buddies for bosses? On fights that I imagine I'm the appropriate level for it usually was only a few minutes between summons when I dropped my sign and that was pretty cool.

I'm in NG+ and haven't had a problem finding/giving help. At the final boss of the DLC, summon signs disappear in seconds.

The Iron Passage is the new co-op area, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

There absolutely was a distinction, there just weren't very many "greatsword" weapons in Demon's Souls. There has always been a noteworthy speed and moveset difference between Straight Swords, Greatswords, and Ultra Greatswords, even if the categorization has not been obvious.

In DeS, the Longsword is a Straight Sword, Soulbrandt/Demonbrandt/Northern Regalia are Greatswords, and the Dragonbone Smasher is an Ultra Greatsword.

In Demon's Souls they were classified as straight swords, large swords, and very large swords, and there were quite a few large swords.

Vintersorg posted:

I think I have Mirrah's Greatsword laying around - Ill see how that goes.

Was it ever replicated? The moveset that is? It felt so perfect - was not too fast but tolerable and I didn't feel like I was throwing boulders like the current big swords (even with more than enough strength). Perhaps I need to boost adaptability?

Meat Cleaver's moveset was the same as any other greathammer in that game, and no, there's nothing quite like it. Which is a good thing, since it was kinda ridiculously good, with its easy to land knockback 1handed r1s, and super death combo 2handed r1s.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
By the way, Fire Snake? Great for PvP. The only people I haven't hit with it are the ones who just sprint up and punch me in the face for trying to cast a spell without a 0 second cast speed.

Then again I'm on the bridge, so there's really not much room to dodge.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The Greatsword is kinda lovely, I took it for a spin today and didn't like the moveset at all. Especially the 2H light attack sucks, vertical smash is useless unless it pancakes enemies. Too bad the Zweihander isn't available earlier in the game like in DS1, but it's still a better weapon than the Greatsword, it has better moveset, it feels like the attacks are a bit swifter and it looks better (more like an actual sword someone would use without toppling on their butt).

e: I also really like the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword, infuse it with fire and slap a Flame Weapon on it and you're good to go :getin:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Personally I love the Greatsword, I think its moveset is great.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I enjoy using the Greatsword as an alternative to the Mace. If I need to be a bit further away from my opponent, or if there's a crowd, it's a lot handier. Though really I just picked it up on a whim, not because "hey what's a good sidearm for this mace".

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Okay, couple things learned.

Powerstance Majestic Greatsword is the greatest thing ever and I am never using another weapon again.

The powerstance L2 has extreme hyper armor, even really big mother fuckers can't swat me out of he air.

The spin and the PS L2 both end with you doing a crouch that actually puts you low enough to the ground to dodge under the swings of larger enemies.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I finally found my zone. Quality build with sun sword in the right hand a stone spear in the left with the simpleton's ring, ton's to ATT and the Stone ring.
Just keep poking people at range in their fat faces with the spear and when they try to close the gap stun lock them to death with the sun sword. If they get range switch to pyro and throw up a toxic cloud, not so much for the poison but to force them to roll right into your sunsword range or to obscure visibility if they roll away to gently caress them up with the dragon bow. All the agility means I can roll through about any of the nerfed magic or just avoid it.

Was playing on the bridge as "Ame Mangeur" yesterday and only lost a couple of fights out of maybe 15, which I am over the moon about because to be honest I'm pretty bad at this game.

Did manage to get in a literally 20 minute fight against a guy who went through all of his Estus and a bunch of radient lifegems in the most balls-to-the-walls epic fight I've ever had in any video game ever.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Okay, couple things learned.

Powerstance Majestic Greatsword is the greatest thing ever and I am never using another weapon again.

The powerstance L2 has extreme hyper armor, even really big mother fuckers can't swat me out of he air.

The spin and the PS L2 both end with you doing a crouch that actually puts you low enough to the ground to dodge under the swings of larger enemies.

Fume UGS can block the entire PS attack while winding up. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Fume UGS can block the entire PS attack while winding up. :getin:

Has anyone tried powerstancing both Fume swords at once to see if it gives a special moveset? It feels like it should.