Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madcosby posted:

I like how "college entry level" is like a bad thing. She makes insightful videos that point out commonplace stereotypes that are overused in video games. Her work is fine, I love how upset it makes people

I mean I dunno about insightful but they do exactly what they claim to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
bayonetta is a strong single mother, which is positive, but her titties? Too big - entry level femenesim seminar

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phil Niekro posted:

steampunk gender swaps are art

backers
$47,290
pledged of $175 goal
days to go

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm not reading most of this but she's been pretty upfront about how it's literally supposed to be Feminism 101 because most people who shovel games down their gaping maws don't even think that hard about what they're playing, as evidenced by the outrage that she dare criticize games even that much.

Who are the videos even aimed at? I know she doesn't have to say revolutionary stuff but who watches these videos and goes, "Wow, I've learnt something new!"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

horriblePencilist posted:

Who are the videos even aimed at? I know she doesn't have to say revolutionary stuff but who watches these videos and goes, "Wow, I've learnt something new!"

tweens?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I mean I dunno about insightful but they do exactly what they claim to do so

I saw 2 minutes of one linked in this thread where it mentions how dead women are portrayed in games sexually and I had never thought about that before. Anita seems to know her poo poo, good for her

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sources for my future study on popular culture:

1) Tv Tropes.
2) Kotaku.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Madcosby posted:

how do you find this poo poo? I mean all I learned from this thread is there is a women named Anita who makes videos about misogyny in games and it sends gamers into a maddening rage. That's where it ends... do you search out anything related to this so as to find something you dislike? And all I see are zelda pics?? are we in the same world how on earth does this upset you

The World's Most Useless Phallus posted:

Inspired by Anita Sarkeesian’s Video Game Tropes vs Women, I wanted to pitch a Zelda game where Zelda herself was the hero, rescuing a Prince Link.

"Why didn't she go more in-depth in her videos that have people freaking out over the most benign criticism, videos that she was upfront about being Fem 101: Video Games Edition because she knew people were loving idiots" - a good criticism from a smart person

Ah, see, I was too stupid I guess, because I'm a stupid who plays video games, to actually understand that she's literally patronizing me, I just thought she was making shallow judgments to appeal to thin notions of feminism without actually saying anything meaningful or demonstrating a knowledge of video games, game development, game mechanics or game storytelling, but you see, as she rightfully says, I'm just really loving stupid and thus my intelligence being insulted in no way diminishes the quality of her work or the massive money she makes off gullible idiots.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Theoretically the people who send her death threats

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DrPlump posted:

You are full of poo poo if something like that really happened there would be a news article about it. It only took a couple hours to report on the threats Anita received.

Link to news article and donation page or it didn't happen.

If I would have gotten doxxed I would have taken it more seriously, but I was not going to call up Kotaku because some teenagers are furious that I "split" the community of some lovely indie mmo.

I'm not even saying what I received was even remotely close to what Sarkeesian is dealing with, I was just making the point that there's no way she has to fake anything.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Ah, see, I was too stupid I guess, because I'm a stupid who plays video games, to actually understand that she's literally patronizing me, I just thought she was making shallow judgments to appeal to thin notions of feminism without actually saying anything meaningful or demonstrating a knowledge of video games, game development, game mechanics or game storytelling, but you see, as she rightfully says, I'm just really loving stupid and thus my intelligence being insulted in no way diminishes the quality of her work or the massive money she makes off gullible idiots.

at least you know the truth bro

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

lol wait did someone try to argue that college level entry stuff isn't appropriate for a youtube series that's probably mostly watched by kids that haven't gone to college yet

edit: or might not go to college, not here to enable the unabled

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

"Why didn't she go more in-depth in her videos that have people freaking out over the most benign criticism, videos that she was upfront about being Fem 101: Video Games Edition because she knew people were loving idiots" - a good criticism from a smart person

*video is just a 10 minute still shot of the TVTropes url*

Anything more complicated would be too inaccessible you virgins drat get a life lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ah, see, I was too stupid I guess, because I'm a stupid who plays video games, to actually understand that she's literally patronizing me

"This isn't on my level, it's patronizing me, it can't be aimed at people not on my level!!!!!!"

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

dMastri posted:

the real travesty is that talentless hacks like zoe quinn spread the wrong message about game development, something along the lines of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXul4ENEYOA

making games is hard work and learning to code and/or write and/or design, it's not about social connections and twitter and talking

the best thing zoe quinn could do at this point, if she was serious about being game dev (she's not), is shut the gently caress up for a year, hunker down, and make an honest to goodness real live game

but i'm convinced she's just a lazy manipulative oval office with an ego problem

Tester 1: Dude, can you believe we get paid to test video games?
Tester 2: What pay? We haven't been paid in a month and our last check was only for $500.
Tester 1: 500 easy dollars just for playing video games.
Tester 2: We're 35 years old, dude. We can't keep living like this. We don't even have health insurance. I'd leave if it weren't for my awful degree and resume.
Tester 1: Why would you want to leave all this, bro? We get free Doritos and Mountain Dew everyday!
Tester 2: I haven't had a real meal in three months. I think I might be developing diabetes.
Tester 1: Come on, buddy, we got to get through five more levels today for the developers.
Tester 2: I'm so sick of video games. Why the hell did we ever think this was a good idea?
Tester 1: Pick up the controller, buddy. These orcs ain't going to slay themselves.
Tester 2: I've had enough of the orcs, space marines and regular marines! I hate this life! *blows brains out with pistol*
Tester 1: Whoa! Those were some sweet graphics. Could be tightened up a little though on the blood spray. Better note that for the developers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rad Tad posted:

lol wait did someone try to argue that college level entry stuff isn't appropriate for a youtube series that's probably mostly watched by kids that haven't gone to college yet

edit: or might not go to college, not here to enable the unabled

Also it's demeaning to people who have gone to college because tehy already know this despite them not being the target audience.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
hundred

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
sixty

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
thousand

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
dollars

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Also it's demeaning to people who have gone to college because tehy already know this despite them not being the target audience.

lol feminism was my fav unit of college 101

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm in the A group but since I just learned how much money her kickstarter got I'm more upset at that than anything
people like to donate to spite others, see TFYC

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Madcosby posted:

at least you know the truth bro

#whyIneedfeminism

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Anita looks like a chesty JAP in the college videos but turns into a plaster cast of burned out waitress in later videos

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

#whyIneedfeminism

if a website of zelda upsets you, life will be difficult

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

So Princess Toadstool just stands there while Mario is there to save the damsel in distress. Have you guys heard about this? Why's pacman a boy

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the ethical femenism of eating ghosts.. are ghosts the vagina? Maybe not

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Anita sarkeesian makes mad cash from sexism in videogames, why would she want it to end?

She is literally sexism in videogame's biggest supporter.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

Couldn't find a better straight on shot of her face.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Someone code a pacman clone where you play as a chomping vagina and you eat fedoras instead of ghosts.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Spanish Manlove posted:

backers
$47,290
pledged of $175 goal
days to go

That money could be used to feed dying African children or help get Mongolian children an education but gently caress yeah the world needs more Zelda games!!!!! Esp. Super bad third party Zelda games like those ones from the CD-I

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

I actually do learn some stuff from those videos because I don't play every game that comes out so when you see how prevalent the violence against women is it is pretty eye opening :shobon:

Woden
May 6, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm in the A group but since I just learned how much money her kickstarter got I'm more upset at that than anything

Don't look up the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lobster Harmonica posted:

So Princess Toadstool just stands there while Mario is there to save the damsel in distress. Have you guys heard about this? Why's pacman a boy

why not donna kong

misogyny. where is my patreon and kickstarter money

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I'm so happy I don't have a twitter.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Madcosby posted:

I like how "college entry level" is like a bad thing. She makes insightful videos that point out commonplace stereotypes that are overused in video games. Her work is fine, I love how upset it makes people

people inflate her to some sort of industry changing force of nature tho

"games can sexualise women"

kk now lets see you do something else with the remaining 159 grand

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

i would buy a pool of cinnamon twists because I'm curious as to whether it would hurt or not to jump in

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

The_Cack posted:

I actually do learn some stuff from those videos because I don't play every game that comes out so when you see how prevalent the violence against women is it is pretty eye opening :shobon:
video games are full of violence, good, insightful stuff, here's $160,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Woden posted:

Don't look up the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

I'm pretty sure I'd have an aneurysm if I knew the exact number since I believe it to be $49M or something

• Locked thread