Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, they've made some clunkers. Madworld, for example.

Oh, they made MadWorld? I have/love that game. How could you not love a ridiculous beat-em-up game commentated by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Has anyone else been less than impressed with the characterization of Asami? I often forget she's tagging along until she says something out loud or the group needs something expensive. I think the writers designed a character to be smart, friendly, savvy, wealthy, tough and good-looking, and didn't really know what to do with her. She's so well-rounded that there's really nowhere meaningful to go. In the original Team Avatar, each character had a clear set of traits and place in the troupe. In the new team Avatar, there's not a lot of room for Asami. If she's a straight-man character, she had no goofball to play off her like Mako with Bolin. As it stands, she's basically a talking wallet. Personally, I don't think much would be missed if you cut out Asami all together, and had Lin fill her role. As I mentioned before, make Lin a member of the White Lotus acting as liaison to the RCPD. When the group needs a ride, Lin is there to provide! This way you could also skip the fifth wheel of the Asami/Mako romance that occupied too much screentime which pleased precisely nobody. Lin and Korra have an infinitely more interesting relationship anyway. They're both more involved in auxiliary ways with each other than Asami and Korra, what with Tenzin being Lin's old flame and Korra's master.

Sorry, Asami.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think what you're saying is that there should be an Asami-Bolin team up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The show needs more Bolin being cheeky (the wink in the Gazan fight) and less Bolin being goofy (the sock).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Asami is Korra's Appa. She flies her around everywhere, is always around but rarely interacts, occasionally comes out of nowhere to save her bacon and is her best friend.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

blurry! posted:

Has anyone else been less than impressed with the characterization of Asami?

I think one of the main issues is that she often just seems to lack agency or opinion. She is someone who is obvious very well educated, is apparently running a massive corporation with (probably still ongoing) cash flow issues and has enough skill and will power to become an expert fighter just because, yet she just sort of tags along everywhere, and even when she has all rights to be mad at someone she just sort of forgives,or utterly forgets about it, by next episode.

I mean I wouldn't mind if they characterized her as you know just a go with the flow type person, but it seems more they just haven't really solidly characterized her at all. As one of the main characters and probably Korra's best friend it just feels like a bit of a waste when she could be there to offer an interesting additional opinion on things, when it more seems like shes that to offer an easy solution, or vague moral support.

I mean on the plus side I've never found her at all annoying like Mako seasons one and two, so yeah just a bit of a wasted opportunity rather than an sort of real negative.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Oracle posted:

Asami is Korra's Appa. She flies her around everywhere, is always around but rarely interacts, occasionally comes out of nowhere to save her bacon and is her best friend.

I'm looking forward to Asami's Lost Days.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Y'know, I'm now kind of wondering what the reaction would've been if Asami was one of the ones to suddenly gain bending (and, for dramatic irony brownie points, have it be firebending). I think it might've given the consequences of Korra's choice at the end of Book 2 the sort of personal touch for her that Bumi gaining airbending lacked.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

blurry! posted:

Has anyone else been less than impressed with the characterization of Asami? I often forget she's tagging along until she says something out loud or the group needs something expensive. I think the writers designed a character to be smart, friendly, savvy, wealthy, tough and good-looking, and didn't really know what to do with her. She's so well-rounded that there's really nowhere meaningful to go. In the original Team Avatar, each character had a clear set of traits and place in the troupe. In the new team Avatar, there's not a lot of room for Asami. If she's a straight-man character, she had no goofball to play off her like Mako with Bolin. As it stands, she's basically a talking wallet. Personally, I don't think much would be missed if you cut out Asami all together, and had Lin fill her role. As I mentioned before, make Lin a member of the White Lotus acting as liaison to the RCPD. When the group needs a ride, Lin is there to provide! This way you could also skip the fifth wheel of the Asami/Mako romance that occupied too much screentime which pleased precisely nobody. Lin and Korra have an infinitely more interesting relationship anyway. They're both more involved in auxiliary ways with each other than Asami and Korra, what with Tenzin being Lin's old flame and Korra's master.

Sorry, Asami.

I think they basically took Sokka, divided up his comic relief and his knack for mechanical devices to give us Bolin and Asami. But at least Bolin is getting some small bits of character development while Asami just comes in when they need a spot weld or shock glove.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I think they basically took Sokka, divided up his comic relief and his knack for mechanical devices to give us Bolin and Asami. But at least Bolin is getting some small bits of character development while Asami just comes in when they need a spot weld or shock glove.

Asami is also LoK's Suki. She's got a cool design and does cool stuff, but she's a bit too well rounded a person to be an exceptionally interesting character on her own. Her flaws (too trusting and a being a little too dependent on others emotionally) either aren't that fascinating to watch or they just fumbled them. She and Korra have had a great dynamic this book, but it's too bad it took so long to get to it. I like Asami, but I hope they do more with her character in book 4 - though the big storyline with her father in book 1 would have been the place to do it. Hopefully she visits him in prison or something. You know, having Hiroshi get airbending would be a fun way to tie book 1 into the rest, and it would be fitting for the man who hated benders to become one.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

That's actually a really good point. I completely forgot that Suki was even part of the original Team Avatar because they really didn't do much with her either unless they needed a character to do something no one else could at the time.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I've been thinking about it and, if there's another Avatar series after Legend of Korra, I think what would be interesting is to have the Avatar as the villain. The setup would be fairly plausible: the new earthbender Avatar is raised by Red Lotus/some radicals of some sort who raise the Avatar to believe in and fulfill their philosophy of what "balance" is. The term balance has been fairly ambiguous in Avatar (beyond "don't let firebenders exterminate every other nation" mainly) and I think it could be warped to mean some pretty dark things, if the wrong people were to influence a young Avatar. For instance, the rapidly developing world could be seen as out-of-balance in that it encourages rapid growth, destruction of natural resources, etc. So we have a young Avatar who is intent on destroying all of modern civilization and returning the world to the state it was before the Hundred Year War.

Our heroes would be some victims of the Avatar whose homes or families were destroyed. They band together to defeat the Avatar, but first they have to become bending masters and journey the world similar to TLA before finally confronting the Avatar. I think one of the common themes of Avatar is that certain pieces of being the Avatar are alien and scary--even to the Avatar themselves--and this series could play those up.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
So the Avatar would be Dinosaurus from Invincible. That works for a good story about morality and perspective yeah, but the ultimate goal wouldn't be to defeat the Avatar but to convince them that their way of solving problems is flawed and hurting people.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It's bullshit that you have to wait all the way until Season 4 to see Toph

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Je suis fatigue posted:

So the Avatar would be Dinosaurus from Invincible. That works for a good story about morality and perspective yeah, but the ultimate goal wouldn't be to defeat the Avatar but to convince them that their way of solving problems is flawed and hurting people.

Sort of a Zuko redemptive arc would work. People love Zuko (I love Zuko).

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

blurry! posted:

Has anyone else been less than impressed with the characterization of Asami? I often forget she's tagging along until she says something out loud or the group needs something expensive. I think the writers designed a character to be smart, friendly, savvy, wealthy, tough and good-looking, and didn't really know what to do with her. She's so well-rounded that there's really nowhere meaningful to go. In the original Team Avatar, each character had a clear set of traits and place in the troupe. In the new team Avatar, there's not a lot of room for Asami. If she's a straight-man character, she had no goofball to play off her like Mako with Bolin. As it stands, she's basically a talking wallet. Personally, I don't think much would be missed if you cut out Asami all together, and had Lin fill her role.

Sorry, Asami.

I think the raw material to make Asami a good character is present and could be pulled into place with one good focus episode.

Unfortunately Legend of Korra's format does not really have room for those, given the shorter seasons and deliberate avoidance of 'filler' episodes. (Although we spent multiple episodes on Lin's family drama, so who knows!)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can only hope that Asami finally gets some more screentime in Season 4. Even if it's only because she is Korra's emotional support that will still be better than most of what's been done with the character so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Oh, they made MadWorld? I have/love that game. How could you not love a ridiculous beat-em-up game commentated by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio?

Because it is two hours long and has no depth whatsoever.

As far as Asami, I think people seriously underestimate what she does. She has a lot of scenes and a lot of characterization. She is the 'straight man' of the group but that doesn't mean she doesn't do stuff. She had multiple scenes this season where she saved the day (like on the Cabbage Corp airship), she had scenes that developed her characterization and friendship with Korra and she even had scenes like the game she played with Bolin which helped develop her personality.

"Asami is Korra's Appa" feels more like a meme someone is trying to push than actually looking at the character and what they do in the show. Asami is Korra's best friend and also provides Korra someone to play off of and who she can depend on which is a fairly important role, if one less exceptional than "person who beats someone up."

Also, you know, it's nice for for a show to actually portray two female characters as friends who enjoy spending time with one another and where a relationship drama doesn't actually fracture their friendship and lead to dramabombs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 28, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It has more depth than most beat 'em ups that I've played. All of the environmental interactions are great and fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

It has more depth than most beat 'em ups that I've played. All of the environmental interactions are great and fun.

You should play Platinum's other games then because they kind of embarrass Madworld mechanically on every level. Even Anarchy Reigns, the Madworld sequel, is significantly better. (And AR is probably Platinum's second-worst game because they built it around online play and the community died in a week.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You should play Platinum's other games then because they kind of embarrass Madworld mechanically on every level. Even Anarchy Reigns, the Madworld sequel, is significantly better. (And AR is probably Platinum's second-worst game because they built it around online play and the community died in a week.)

I actually have Anarchy Reigns! But haven't actually gotten around to playing it much yet, for some reason. (Along with a few other games, I'm behind.)

I think I got them both for pretty low prices, so I was happy with short but fun games. (I should definitely try more of Platinum's games, though, especially if those are the worst two!)

Edit: Oh poo poo, and they made Vanquish, too! I guess I have a few of their games. Haha. Vanquish was great. But also kind of short.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I actually have Anarchy Reigns! But haven't actually gotten around to playing it much yet, for some reason. (Along with a few other games, I'm behind.)

I think I got them both for pretty low prices, so I was happy with short but fun games. (I should definitely try more of Platinum's games, though, especially if those are the worst two!)

Edit: Oh poo poo, and they made Vanquish, too! I guess I have a few of their games. Haha. Vanquish was great. But also kind of short.

You have good taste then. :colbert:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope the Korra game does well. So then they make one centered around Asami but make it like a mix between Revengeance and Vanquish since she uses gadgets to augment her martial prowess anyway so just give her more outrageous tools. The plot can take place between seasons 3 and 4 where she goes out to find a cure for mercury poisoning. The meta game will be a tycoon simulator where you manage your company and have them research and develop more and more powerful tools to use in your missions.

Ok, I gave you the premise Platinum, chop to it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I hope the Korra game does well. So then they make one centered around Asami but make it like a mix between Revengeance and Vanquish since she uses gadgets to augment her martial prowess anyway so just give her more outrageous tools. The plot can take place between seasons 3 and 4 where she goes out to find a cure for mercury poisoning. The meta game will be a tycoon simulator where you manage your company and have them research and develop more and more powerful tools to use in your missions.

Ok, I gave you the premise Platinum, chop to it!

Let's just have Platinum take over Legend of Korra entirely.

A game where Lin and 99 of her police allies work to save Republic City from disaster. Each different bender type has a different move you can use.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

As far as Asami, I think people seriously underestimate what she does. She has a lot of scenes and a lot of characterization. She is the 'straight man' of the group but that doesn't mean she doesn't do stuff. She had multiple scenes this season where she saved the day (like on the Cabbage Corp airship), she had scenes that developed her characterization and friendship with Korra and she even had scenes like the game she played with Bolin which helped develop her personality.

"Asami is Korra's Appa" feels more like a meme someone is trying to push than actually looking at the character and what they do in the show. Asami is Korra's best friend and also provides Korra someone to play off of and who she can depend on which is a fairly important role, if one less exceptional than "person who beats someone up."

Also, you know, it's nice for for a show to actually portray two female characters as friends who enjoy spending time with one another and where a relationship drama doesn't actually fracture their friendship and lead to dramabombs.

The only significant scenes she's had with Korra happened just this past season though. Before that in Seasons 1 and 2 she was basically stuck with Mako and that would drag anybody down. The only significant scene I can recall before Season 3 is when in Season 1 Korra, Mako, and Bolin head over to her father's mansion and drive some cars. They've certainly fought together in the same scene before but before Season 3 I couldn't say their friendship really got any significant development, or any at all. But since they did basically ignore Asami in Season 2 by shackling her to Mako's boring plot the friendship she and Korra have in Season 3 can still come off as a bit rushed.

That said they still managed to make the scene with Asami and Korra in the last 5 minutes work well and managed to do so with just a few scenes and half an episode across the entire season. Really a lot of what I manage to find complaints about in Season 3 comes down to "Why didn't you do this from the very start?" I know why. If they had that friendship developed since that scene in Season 1 with the cars that last scene between Korra and Asami would have been even more poignant. That it works so well with only a single season of real development anyways makes it just one more thing that I have a lot of hope for in Season 4.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

That's actually a really good point. I completely forgot that Suki was even part of the original Team Avatar because they really didn't do much with her either unless they needed a character to do something no one else could at the time.
I don't think Suki is really considered to be a part of Team Avatar in ATLA, people tend to consider more as a honorary member, since she's Sokka's girlfriend and their first encounter had the two parties make a big impact on each other (Sokka got schooled for his sexism and the Kyoshi Warriors decided to leave the island and actually participates in the war).

Asami on the other hand is supposed to be a member of the core Team Avatar, but aside from Book 1, she's never really had a plot to herself, which becomes grating in Book 2 when the secondary plot should be all about her but instead concerns the "conflict" between the Ferret Brothers and Verick.

Kimmalah posted:

I think they basically took Sokka, divided up his comic relief and his knack for mechanical devices to give us Bolin and Asami.
I don't know, even Asami's engineering skills weren't really brought up before Book 3. Before that, I was under the impression that she was mainly an excellent pilot but that she didn't inherit any of her father's genius (seriously, that guy had everything going for him : genial inventor and great businessman).

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Asami is definitely in a support role, up unto and including walking Korra to the toi-

Oh god, Korra's probably wearing a diaper.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

X_Toad posted:

I don't think Suki is really considered to be a part of Team Avatar in ATLA, people tend to consider more as a honorary member, since she's Sokka's girlfriend and their first encounter had the two parties make a big impact on each other (Sokka got schooled for his sexism and the Kyoshi Warriors decided to leave the island and actually participates in the war).

Asami on the other hand is supposed to be a member of the core Team Avatar, but aside from Book 1, she's never really had a plot to herself, which becomes grating in Book 2 when the secondary plot should be all about her but instead concerns the "conflict" between the Ferret Brothers and Verick.

I don't know, even Asami's engineering skills weren't really brought up before Book 3. Before that, I was under the impression that she was mainly an excellent pilot but that she didn't inherit any of her father's genius (seriously, that guy had everything going for him : genial inventor and great businessman).

Well Suki did join up with them in season 3 on through to the finale.

But honestly I never could get into Korra until this most recent season, so I'm not up to date on what's been going on with the characters in the past. Seasons 1 and 2 I'd watch a few episodes and just couldn't stay interested enough to finish it. 3 is the first one that actually got me hooked enough to watch the whole thing.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Rosalind posted:

Sort of a Zuko redemptive arc would work. People love Zuko (I love Zuko).

Yes, yes, everyone loves Zuko. The sky is blue, grass is green, everyone loves Zuko. That's like a test of humanity. Did you love Zuko? No? You're a filthy robot without reason or emotion.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It's bullshit that you have to wait all the way until Season 4 to see Toph

And then it's only a shot of her grave, which is marked by a 50 foot statue of her that she bent with her dying breath. And the epitaph reads "Greatest Earthbender Who Ever Lived."

ImpAtom posted:

Asami is Korra's best friend

I don't agree with this. You're right that Asami isn't just a nothing character, but I don't see her and Korra as BFFs. She's, simply put, Korra's only girlfriend. Jinora and Ikki are too young, Pema's more of an aunt, Suyin is a mentor figure, Eska is bananas, and Lin is...Lin. Asami is really her only female friend.

Korra really doesn't seem to have a best friend. Bolin could have fit that role if not for the fact that his initial interest in her was romantic, and her friendship with Mako is only just moving beyond the awkward we-used-to-date-and-it's-weird-now stage. As a group they have a cool dynamic that's finally recovered from the stupid love triangle, but each of their connections to Korra seems much weaker than when they are all together.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Serella posted:

Korra really doesn't seem to have a best friend.
Naga.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best friends who can't be bribed with squeak toys, then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serella posted:

I don't agree with this. You're right that Asami isn't just a nothing character, but I don't see her and Korra as BFFs. She's, simply put, Korra's only girlfriend. Jinora and Ikki are too young, Pema's more of an aunt, Suyin is a mentor figure, Eska is bananas, and Lin is...Lin. Asami is really her only female friend.

Korra really doesn't seem to have a best friend. Bolin could have fit that role if not for the fact that his initial interest in her was romantic, and her friendship with Mako is only just moving beyond the awkward we-used-to-date-and-it's-weird-now stage. As a group they have a cool dynamic that's finally recovered from the stupid love triangle, but each of their connections to Korra seems much weaker than when they are all together.

We see them spending most of their time together. When Korra is feeling bad she goes to Asami to talk. When Korra is crippled, Asami is the one who takes care of her. They frequently talk to one another, spend time together, and seem to enjoy each other's company. How is that not being her best friend?

Korra doesn't have a huge social circle but a huge social circle isn't a prerequisite for someone being a close friend.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 28, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jimbot posted:

Best friends who can't be bribed with squeak toys, then.
Pabu is not a squeak toy. :mad:

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Personally I think Asami and Korra could benefit from a (very) friendly rivalry. The two always competing in small ways, from getting through a door first to slurping down those green noodles that act as a stand-in for booze in this setting would be an excellent way to build an entertaining relationship. Asami shows Korra how to drive, and Korra challenges Asami to a race, and after that point they never really stop trying to one-up each. No one else really interacts with Korra this way. They either protect, wholeheartedly support, condescend, or antagonize her. For someone who's introduced to us as a competitive person, no character competes with her on a friendly level. I think this would give Asami a fun niche to fill, and allow her to develop as her own character as well, rather than a blank slate that simply assists the other characters when they're otherwise occupied.

As it stands Asami is basically human-Appa, as someone else mentioned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really glad they didn't do that. The idea that female characters can only be 'antagonistic' friends and that someone like Asami can only exist as a rival instead of a close friend is one which is frustrating and unwelcome. One of the best things Korra did was have the two get over the Mako thing without becoming enemies or without Asami becoming evil or without them fighting over it or anything like that.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

ImpAtom posted:

We see them spending most of their time together. When Korra is feeling bad she goes to Asami to talk. When Korra is crippled, Asami is the one who takes care of her. They frequently talk to one another, spend time together, and seem to enjoy each other's company. How is that not being her best friend?

Korra doesn't have a huge social circle but a huge social circle isn't a prerequisite for someone being a close friend.

Asami shouldn't just be a stuffed animal or crutch or nurturing figure to Korra. A good friend supports, but also challenges someone. Disagrees and competes with them. Right now Asami is like Korra's assistant. It's not all that entertaining.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really glad they didn't do that. The idea that female characters can only be 'antagonistic' friends and that someone like Asami can only exist as a rival instead of a close friend is one which is frustrating and unwelcome. One of the best things Korra did was have the two get over the Mako thing without becoming enemies or without Asami becoming evil or without them fighting over it or anything like that.

I didn't say enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blurry! posted:

Asami shouldn't just be a stuffed animal or crutch or nurturing figure to Korra. A good friend supports, but also challenges someone. Disagrees and competes with them. Right now Asami is like Korra's assistant. It's not all that entertaining.

You have a really weird idea of friendship. if I constantly tried to one-up my friends they'd get annoyed with me really quickly. A good friend with call you out on your poo poo, that is true, but the idea of having them be 'constantly competitive' is setting up for antagonism, not a close friendship.

In terms of fictional relationships in kid's fiction: I'm reading Harry Potter to my little sister, for example, and the only time Ron and Harry seriously competing comes up, Harry feels like a complete shithead for thinking he's better than Ron and that he deserves to win and do better than Ron. They play chess together but the emphasis is that their friendship is strong because they work together, agree and trust each other. Harry outdoing Ron is shown as a strain on their relationship, not as something that encourages Ron to do better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 28, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I do think it was a mistake to abruptly restore Asami's vast fortune off-screen (although breaking her and Mako up off-screen was a very good idea). They should have taken Varrick's swindling of her even further, had her lose her house, her cars, etc.

"Hyper-wealthy and privileged person is suddenly dirt poor" is always interesting because it so seldom happens in real life. Even when companies fold, people are usually left with enough non-liquid assets to keep themselves fairly comfortable.

It would have been fun to watch Asami try and get by with nothing but her wits and maybe a few odds and ends. Particularly as something of a reversal of her season-1 dynamic with Korra.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

ImpAtom posted:

You have a really weird idea of friendship. if I constantly tried to one-up my friends they'd get annoyed with me really quickly. A good friend with call you out on your poo poo, that is true, but the idea of having them be 'constantly competitive' is setting up for antagonism, not a close friendship.

I'm reading Harry Potter to my little sister, for example, and the only time Ron and Harry seriously competing comes up, Harry feels like a complete shithead for thinking he's better than Ron and that he deserves to win and do better than Ron. They play chess together but the emphasis is that their friendship is strong because they work together, agree and trust each other. Harry outdoing Ron is shown as a strain on their relationship, not as something that encourages Ron to do better.

Friends tease and compete with each other all the time. Didn't you ever try to beat your friends in games, or needle/tease them, and get it in return?

• Locked thread