Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DoctaFun posted:

I didn't have any problem with how he was holding it, the boat behind him looked odd. Anwyays, an absolute monster, probably pushing 44".
I missed it at first but yeah, in the first picture the motor looks TINY and you can only see a quarter of the rear of the boat, which looks substantially side than the other two (which also show a MUCH larger motor). The weirdness isn't really explicable to me either - even if he was standing halfway toward the middle of the boat in the first and sitting basically on the motor in the latter pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I failed pretty hard to get pictures, but you can kind of make out how my yak is set up here.

If I go out again this weekend, I'll try to get better pictures.

Sorry for the shtity night picture, I meant to take better pictures... I forgot =/ The lights are the jugs we used.

24.75" Channel cat and a 16.5" blue. Beautiful filets products from both!

Yak image is small as hell, photobucket sucks.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 3, 2014

Mythias
Jun 5, 2003

"I don't know if bestiality is illegal (it should be), but if so, I was underage at the time and I'm sure
I thought I was humanely killing a largemouth bass by quickly slicing its head off while it was still alive. I did it in one smooth stroke right behind the gills with a very sharp knife. That bass head decided to keep twitching and being alive in my plastic grocery bag full of guts for a good few minutes. Is that normal? Did I commit a heinous crime against that bass? In the past I have tried to bash them in the head or stab them in the brain or cut their gill arteries to bleed them out quickly but I haven't had much luck.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Mythias posted:

I thought I was humanely killing a largemouth bass by quickly slicing its head off while it was still alive. I did it in one smooth stroke right behind the gills with a very sharp knife. That bass head decided to keep twitching and being alive in my plastic grocery bag full of guts for a good few minutes. Is that normal? Did I commit a heinous crime against that bass? In the past I have tried to bash them in the head or stab them in the brain or cut their gill arteries to bleed them out quickly but I haven't had much luck.

When I was in middle school I caught a ~10 lb channel cat at my friend's grandparent's house. We took it out of the water, took a bunch of pictures, cleaned all of our sunfish and then realized neither of us had ever cleaned a catfish before. So we had his Grandpa clean it and he took off a filet from each side, leaving just the head attached to the guts basically.

I still remember as he's putting the carcass into a plastic bag to freeze(so it wouldn't smell or something), the catfish was still breathing. It was crazy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mythias posted:

Cut the head off a chicken, they'll struggle for at least 30-60 seconds. That's why they use funnel chutes in that Sarah Palin video with the turkey slaughters in the background.

So yeah, no head = dead. Bodies flop around sometimes.

Catfish are p much immortal though. Throw em in the back of a pickup in 90 degree weather and go fishing all afternoon, then drive home for 2 hours and they'll still try to bite you.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ironsolid posted:

Next time you clean a pike, come back to the meat in 30 minutes and tell me how it feels to squeeze it and have the meat twitch.

Yeah, it's like that.

As for people yakkin'

I'm going out crappie fishing tonight all the while setting jugs and bank lines for huge cats. I do all of this from a Kayak. When I get out tonight and get everything set up, I'll take pictures of my setup.

- Get yourself a milk crate and put it on the back of the yak where the rear bungies are. When you attach the crate with bungies, just weave the bungies in so your gear can't fall right out.

- Get some waterproof tackle boxes. These things are a must. You won't believe the amount of rust you'll get in your standard tackle boxes.

- Get some 1/8" bungie and a couple carabiners. Any rod I'm not ACTIVELY using, is bungied down (like the ones I troll with). Tie a slip knot on one end and attach it to the read of your real OR the the top part of your reel (works well with larger spinning reels) and attach a carabiner to the other end. When you make these, be sure make the bungie long enough to be able to reel a fish in comfortably if you plan to troll or set lines for catfish.

All of this is great advice and I do more or less the same set up for my kayak, except the gear leashes. I made my leashes from old cell phone chargers I picked up at the thrift store for 99 cents along with some carbine clips and some zip ties. Gear leashes work great, the cell phone chargers are compact but expand out to a relatively long length and they don't get tangled up in the rest of my equipment.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'm leaving for Lake of the Woods on Thursday, I can't, F'n, wait.

We'll be down-rigging most of the weekend, so I have three trays of cranks ready to go, I actually really enjoy experimenting with different cranks. Especially if you can really hone in on what the hot presentation is and then setup all four rods with the killer bait and watch the walleyes just fly in the boat.

I'll post some pictures when I get back :).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Water was calm on Sunday, so we were able to go out on the ocean to the wrecks

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Last week, I went fishing with my father for the first time as adults. As a side note, I've been an adult for over 20 years, so there's that. It doesn't have much to do with fishing, but I'm guessing plenty of the folks here have stories about fishing with their dads (not to be sexist, just kind of how the odds play out).

Anyway, it was a nice trip. I mean, his motor broke so we paddled around the lake, and we didn't catch much, and we didn't have any drastic moments of reconnecting or anything, but it was a nice morning. We talked about random stuff, we bitched about fish and weather and not having time to fish, we enjoyed the quiet morning. I'm glad we went.

A couple days later I took my own daughter fishing. She's six, and has no patience for bad luck. After no bites, she put her rod down and played with the worms, picking one out she wanted to "save" and so on. I managed to hook onto something that went for a ride and got some air, and got unhooked in the process. So she at least had some excitement, if no fish.

Just moments of Fishing with Dad(s), I guess.

Unrelated part of the post where we talk about kayaks
As we were getting my dad's boat back on the trailer, a guy came off the lake on a Hobie Pro Angler 12. That's a fine-looking boat. He had a great setup, and my dad and I just kind of stared as he disembarked, drained the boat, put away the pedals, put it on wheels, pulled it up to his SUV, and loaded it in. I admit to feeling a bit jealous. Not that I have 3 grand to blow on a toy I'd use a couple weekends a year....

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Looking for information about fly fishing gear.

I want to get a new rod (only have a starter one i bought at cabellas)... What is the best performance/cost at the moment? I see orvis, scott and other brands but honestly it means very little to me. Im told orvis is the best of the bunch.

Flies... do discount flies matter? I am curious if it is worth paying double the price for a fly or just get the discount ones? I rarely lose flies due to snags anymore, usually just line breaking.

Nets? Any preferences? my last one got eaten by a bush...

Thanks for any input.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm going camping in northern California near lake Shasta, close to the Oregon boarder. There is a trout hatchery up there, what other fish could we catch besides trout, bass? Is power bait still the best for lake trout?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Can anyone recommend any lakes or rivers in the areas around and between Bowling Green, KY and Nashville, TN? My folks just retired there and my dad and I have been doing some fishing in his new boat. So far we've really only hit up the Barren River Lake.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

UnhealthyJoe posted:

fly fishing gear

Any particular reason you want a new rod? There probably isn't much difference between, say, an Orvis Clearwater and whatever you've got right now, other than the fact that Orvis marks up everything bearing their name. The store brand gear is decent but on the heavy side, and the biggest complaints I've seen from newbies with starter gear have more to do with having line mismatched to their rod, old/dirty line, or a rod way heavier than what they need. I've seen newbies on small trout streams struggling to mend with a weight-forward 8 weight combo that the chain store salesmen talked them into. Try out some different brands if at all possible (outdoors megastores with casting pools are awesome for this) and determine if it's worth the extra price. I'm partial to Sage myself but Winston makes a nice, albeit a tad slower, rod.

Discount flies are surprisingly good in quality, and ignoring the near-sweatshop conditions where they're often produced overseas, can be kept serviceable longer with the addition of a drop of head cement or superglue to keep the thread at the head from fraying and unraveling. Its no surprise that discount tyers use hooks that don't stay sharp so a sharpening stone is a handy addition to your vest or pocket. Or go for the ultimate moneypit sunk-cost experience and start to tie your own :)

My Brodin net has lasted me forever but I find myself using it less and less since the net or its lanyard snag brush on the streams I tend to frequent these days.

Unless you're into saltwater, a lot of the high dollar rods/reels/nets are just spending money to have Fancy Gear.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking for information about fly fishing gear.

I want to get a new rod (only have a starter one i bought at cabellas)... What is the best performance/cost at the moment? I see orvis, scott and other brands but honestly it means very little to me. Im told orvis is the best of the bunch.

Flies... do discount flies matter? I am curious if it is worth paying double the price for a fly or just get the discount ones? I rarely lose flies due to snags anymore, usually just line breaking.

Nets? Any preferences? my last one got eaten by a bush...

Thanks for any input.
Honestly, rods are a personal preference thing. I love the slow load of old Phillipson Fiberglass. But rods are a quality of life thing. Once you learn to cast, you can cast anything. And rods won't catch you any more fish. You'll catch just as many fish with that $30 kit rod from WalMart. But if you like a certain action, go ahead and get the rod that feels good to you. It's worth it and it'll last forever (or until you fall on top of it right before you start fishing 1000 ft up and 4 miles in from your car).

Also, some discount flies are good, some are trash. You'll just have to experiment and find ones that work for you. I recommend tying your own, just so you can tie what specifically works on your home waters. After a couple years, you'll learn what works and doesn't work on your home water. And you won't be able to find that exact pattern with the right weight that you want in the right size for sale when you really need it.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
So i'm pretty happy, caught my first pikeperch today! I spin-fish from land on a large Swedish lake most of the time, with spoon lures, spinners and wobblers.
So predictably i catch almost exclusively pikes and perches, which is fine, pikes especially are my usual targets, as they're delicious and easy to reach from certain land spots.

So it was a very pleasant surprise when i caught a pikeperch! I always wanted to catch and eat one, but never counted on it as they seem pretty hard to catch if you don't have a boat and some additional special equipment, due to their different behaviors compared to pikes and it's perch cousin.

One thing that surprised me was how different it behaved when hooked compared to a pike. It moved and twitched slower (but with more regularity and power per stroke or twitch), and it felt less abrupt when it initally hooked.
With pikes i can tell immediately when they grab the hook that it's a fish that's has bitten, because you feel a sudden stop and some yanking. But with the pikeperch, it felt almost at first like i had trapped my hook in some seaweed or lake bottom when i first made contact.
Basically, pikes are so much more explosive, and it was alot more noticeable than i expected.

Here it is, it's taken with a phone camera so quality isn't great:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

this is a 30 page thread and I am lazy

could someone recommend me a few kayaking/fishing related things?

1st off: kayak carrier for a 1997 f250 long bed. canopy mounted preferrably as I have a lovely old canopy that is probably worth about $50 on craigslist topping it now. this way I could mount my two nicer, longer touring kayaks on top, and then my 2 10' rec kayaks in the bed. I'd like to spend <$300 unless there's some huge benefit to spending more

2nd: where are some decent places to fish here in the valley? I paddled silverton reservoir as it is like 15 minutes from my place, but I've never fished it, only swam. I'll also be going out to crane prairie here soon as I've caught plenty of rainbows out there in my old driftboat, and it seems like tying off to the vast amounts of trees in the reservoir will be easier than using an anchor

lastly, is there really anything I should bring in particular besides the normal poo poo I'd bring fishing? ie license, pfd, invasive permit, rod, bat to kill fish, and a boat mounted hanger?

thanks!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

fps_bill posted:

On a somewhat related note you'd be amazed at the little bastards that will hit a lure. I was catching rockbass barely bigger than the jitterbug I was using.

I went fishing for the first time in years last weekend. Didn't catch poo poo, other that an entire tree (and lost my little Jitterbug in the process). I blame my bad casting on the fact that I was using an unfamiliar rather floppy pistol-grip rod rather than the 6'6" medium-heavy Ugly Stik I'm used to (same reel though, an Ambassadeur Black Max from back before they had the huge gearbox on the side). Back in the day I didn't even need a boat, I could just cast to the middle of the lake with nary a ripple when it broke the surface; now I'm consistently plonking it into the mud 10 yards in front of me with a slightly larger splash than a deorbited satellite crashing into the ocean. Totally the fault of the rod that is of a style I've never used before and a foot shorter than my preference.

I blame the lack of fish on the fact that we had to go at noon (had to take a friend to the airport for an 11:00 flight, the lake is just past the airport), and everybody knows the fish don't bite at noon.

The time I threw the rod in the lake was definitely the fault of the rod -- the Ugly Stik has enough handle I could've caught it (got distracted helping my new-to-fishing buddy, cast without pushing the button :saddowns: ). On the other hand, the reel worked a lot better after being washed out, apparently my more outdoorsy brother has been mistreating it in my absence :v: .

Next time I go back to my parents' house I'm getting my proper rod (I switched so it'd fit in the car easier), and possibly one of my parents' '60s Ambassadeurs. We're kind of a trophy-bass sort of family, which explains my choice of gear at age 13, when I saved up my allowance to buy it -- dad does plastic worms, mom and I do crankbaits and the like, I bought the best middlin' brands I could afford at the time. Biggest bass I ever caught was one the above-mentioned rig, with, amusingly, the smallest Rapala deep-diver. Pretty sure I was running 12-pound line, the weak point in that setup was the lure; I swear it was bending when I hauled the fish out of the water. Sadly, there wasn't a reliable scale or a tape measure handy, but it was at least a few inches and a pound or so bigger than the one my dad had mounted back in the day. All present agreed it was around 5lb, though, which is a hell of a lot of fish for a scrawny kid like I was.

Not that we don't have a fuckton of little crappie spinner for the kids/lazy days, but all the fancy stuff and the Swedish reels are dedicated bass rigs.

Always nice to get into a hobby by way of your parents -- none of that sitting in the aisle at WalMart testing rods, I had every conceivable combo from super-light panfish spinning reels to a surf rig so long it can't be stored upright indoors with a reel the size of a Heineken minikeg, running the gamut from top-of-the-line endorsed-by-the-king-of-Sweden to Kmart clearance specials available to me since birth.

Jitterbugs and other things:

In order of size, from biggest: Some silly thing I made myself out of a broom handle when I was 12; the ultimate topwater bass bait, with cigarette pack for scale (6" long, 1.1oz, I've caught fish smaller than that); the deep-diving minnow I caught my big bass on; the sister ship to the one I lost to a tree last weekend (the lost one was a different color)

The Jitterbug the size of your hand is only $8, I should get a couple and retire the vintage one pictured to a shadowbox, or perhaps have it included in the trophy mount when I actually get around to using something that big.

Really though I need to con my way into a boat (my brother has a duck-hunting boat I could borrow; it's no Skeeter, but it'll get me out to the middle of the lake) and take the big 'bug, the Ugly Stik, and one of the vintage Ambassadeurs out on Lake Fork. This weekend, though, I'm taking that rig to Daingerfield and renting a kayak -- some of the walleyes I've seen ignoring my lesser baits there could probably do enough of a Nantucket sleigh ride to get the rental kayak pulled over for speeding (it's a tiny state park lake, no motorboats allowed).

I should get new line, mine some fancy green Kevlar braid, but is old and kinked from the learning process and has been on the reel for at least a decade. What's a good weight/brand/style line for big bass?

In other news, I forget if it was page 3 or 3 pages back (I'm reading from both ends), but some poor stupid bastard mentioned using The Trilene Knot, and it only fell apart like half the time.

This is the one true fishing knot:

I mean, you could be a purist and spend half an hour every time you change lures. Or you could do it right and get back to fishing when you break one off/change lures. Easy, quick, and I always have to get my knife out when I get hung up and can't jiggle it loose.

In other other news, Texas doesn't require a fishing license in state parks. If you're a Texan reading this you probably have a license, but it's a godsend to those of us who let it lapse and then want to go fishing in early August (the license expires August 31 no matter when you buy it, or you can pay an extra $20 and get it for a full year from purchase -- worth it in, say, March, I guess-- or you can just fish for $3 a day in state parks until September 1.)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Delivery McGee posted:

Texas doesn't require a fishing license in state parks.

Well aint that some poo poo. In California they make you have a license, pay for park entrance and pay for parking too. Its actually cheaper to go anywhere other than a state park to fish.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Delivery McGee posted:

I should get new line, mine some fancy green Kevlar braid, but is old and kinked from the learning process and has been on the reel for at least a decade. What's a good weight/brand/style line for big bass?

Completely depends on what type of bass fishing you are going to be doing, braid is generally pretty good for most bass techniques I think, but depending on that technique you could be looking at 10lb braid or 80 lb. If you are going to be throwing small crank baits like that deep diving shad rap, you'll want to use something with a really thin diameter, otherwise you will never cast it more than like 30 feet AND the lure will not dive very far because the line is causing too much resistance in the water(Obviously reel and rod choice impact casting distance as well, a longer rod will allow for longer casts, and a nicer reel might give you some added distance). But if you are going to be casting 1+ oz topwater baits then you're going to want heavier duty line or you risk it snapping. For finesse plastic presentations you always have to make a compromise either on casting distance or power. A thinner diameter line will allow for longer casts and better sensitivity, but will reduce the amount of control you have over the fish once it's hooked. If you are fishing heavy cover, you might want a rod/line that can horse some of those bass out of the trouble. I am a walleye fisherman at heart, so I usually err on the lighter side, which might not be the best thing to do for bass fishing(I'll let some bass experts chime in).

I know a lot of tournament bass guys use pretty thick braid so they can just force those bass out of the weeds/trees/lilypads/etc. If you're going to be pitching frogs into thick lily pads, you are going to need a heavy rear end rod and line to be able to just pull those bass out of there, otherwise you'll lose a lot of fish and potentially a lot of lures.

Also, it sounds like your line is old enough to replace, but keep in mind with your next spool that you can use your braid for a year or two, then take it off and put it on backwards, it works pretty well because the braid generally is little to no memory, so the worn out line will be placed a 75-200 yards down into the bottom of your spool(which shouldn't be used unless you are cutting your line A LOT). The line that used to be wound on the spool first should be perfectly fresh.

As for brands, I've used Sufix 832 and PowerPro with very few complaints.

Delivery McGee posted:

This is the one true fishing knot:

I mean, you could be a purist and spend half an hour every time you change lures. Or you could do it right and get back to fishing when you break one off/change lures. Easy, quick, and I always have to get my knife out when I get hung up and can't jiggle it loose.

This is absolutely the way to go for braid, but you'll have to hold a gun to my head to stop me from tying an improved clinch knot with my mono :colbert:.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been doing an incorrect Fish N Fool knot, or maybe you want to call it a reverse Trilene knot. Palomar seems easier.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I'm looking for a jumping point into using baitcasters vs spinning reels. I'm kind of partial to Quantum reels as the spinners I have currently have all performed great for me. But thats part of my problem. Spinning reels are all I've used. My last reel I bought from Quantum was I want to say about 60 bucks, and for the most part, all of my reels are in the same neighborhood.

Recently, my parents bought a lakehome on a lake, and in the spring its pretty clear, but as the year moves on, foliage is starting to get thick. So I'm wanting something that can handle more than 12 lb test and not crap out on me. Braided line helps, but I would like to get up to 20lb so I can just dredge my way thru the mulch and not lose any more lures. So thats one reason I'm looking at baitcasters. The other part is, I just want to learn a new tool to fish with.

I have an ancient baitcaster from the 80's that I have 40lb mono on, but that thing is a birdsnest fab plant. Currently, its relegated to being my trolling reel. I want a modern one thats not unreasonably priced. I'm going to say ~$100. Around there. Less is gooder. This is babby's first baitcaster, so I don't need something insane. Most of the reels I'm seeing with good reviews are around 100 bucks.

Also probably will need a rod as well. I've just been ugly sticking them. Anything around the $50 range to recommend to pair up with the aforementioned reel? I don't mind keeping true to form and going to Fleet Farm and finding another ugly stick, but If I'm going to buy a nice reel, I'd like to get a complementary rod for it. I say 50 bucks as thats about what I feel I can spend comfortably on a new rod setup. I like my spinning gear, and will continue to use it, just want a little variety.

Tried looking back in this thread, and while I'm seeing a few links, and recommendations, just asking for some fresh(er) info.

*edit: I went with a Quantum Code reel. See how that works. From the sounds of it, I just need to start using them to see what I like.

Syves fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 20, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Palomar is a great knot to join line to a bobber or weight. For lures or hooks I always use a Loop knot of some kind. 99% of the time I use a Canoe Man's Loop (google it).

The palomar is really strong, I've tested it against clinch knots and it wins almost every time. BUT the action of your lure or bait is very much reduced because you are completely clamping down on the eye of the hook. Tie a lure to your leader with a palomar and dangle it in the air. Now tie a [any] loop knot and dangle it. The lure/hook will dance and wiggle MUCH more. The pros all use loop knots for their terminal knot, even when fishing for monsters like Tarpon or shark.

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
I was able to get a tarpon boatside a little while back. Since the gunnels on the boat are too high for me to reach down to the water, I jumped in to unhook the fish and collect a scale -- tarpon scales are 2-4 inches in diameter and make great mementos after catching and releasing one.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Kid Golbez posted:

I was able to get a tarpon boatside a little while back. Since the gunnels on the boat are too high for me to reach down to the water, I jumped in to unhook the fish and collect a scale -- tarpon scales are 2-4 inches in diameter and make great mementos after catching and releasing one.

Ha, nice one. Great memento to take too!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DoctaFun posted:

line advice

Thanks, I guess I'll replace the line on the 6.5' heavy-action Ugly Stik with the heavy braid, and then use my other Ambassadeur for a lighter-weight setup. Because I just got my dad's old 5000 (not sure how old, it has a serial number rather than a date-coded lot number, and "AB. Urfabriken" engraved on the side; I've emailed ABU asking about it).

It's currently on his old Daiwa rod (well, it's currently half-disassembled on my desk to clean and oil it, but you know what I mean) that has an action much more to my tastes than the super-light one I used last time, but it's also a pistol-grip, and I don't care for them. Any recommendations for a decent (but still fairly low-priced) rod for the lighter-weight bass kit?

Also, which reel for which rig?

gently caress it, mom doesn't fish anymore either, I'm going to get her (slightly newer) 5000 too and give my partner the low-profile one.

Speaking of the Black Max, when I picked it up again for the first time in 10 years, I was momentarily confused by the big Abu Garcia logos on it, I knew I'd bought the same brand my parents had ... which lead to reading the wikipedia article on the company. Turns out the non-Swedish part of the name came from buying out their American distributor, Garcia Tackle Co., in 1980. I always wondered as a kid what was up with the coat of arms on the side; turns out it's because the King of Sweden uses 'em! As an American, I didn't really know of the concept of royal warrants despite seeing the UK version on a lot of British products. I wonder what model the king uses. Kinda want to look up the royal court of Sweden's website and ask. Edit: dang the royal family don't have a real contact form -- you can send your greetings, but "due to the volume of messages received by e-mail, it is impossible to provide individual replies." And I don't speak Swedish to call their PR people. I guess I'll try emailing their embassy in Washington.

r0ck0 posted:

Well aint that some poo poo. In California they make you have a license, pay for park entrance and pay for parking too. Its actually cheaper to go anywhere other than a state park to fish.

Yeah, it's great. $3-5 per person per day entrance fee, and I have like three state park lakes within an hour's drive, and they have better fishing than most of the non-state-park lakes (though I caught my big fish on a private lake my aunt has a place at). Great to introduce a friend to fishing without making them buy a license first, which I guess is the whole point of it. We'll probably get licenses next month for the hell of it, but in Texas a fishing license is valid until August 31 no matter when you get it (or you can get it for a year from purchase for $15 more, but screw that, I'll wait a month and use my savings to buy more tiny crankbaits, especially since I'd be going to state parks anyway). The little trout pond in the local city park requires a license and a trout stamp for the public, though.

In other news, I only just found out when buying baits for the last trip that crappie-scale crankbaits exist, they're so tiny! :3:

(I almost said "crappie-sized" but that means something different. And I need some of those too. :v: )

Edit again: and then I stopped taking it apart because I'm not sure how to oil it. Cleaning is easy, it's all anodized aluminum, take out the one plastic gear (runs the levelwind) and slop some acetone on it. Or carb cleaner. The instructional/collector websites all say acetone on a q-tip, but they're concerned with preserving stickers on the newer ones; mine's got all the labels engraved. But I don't have special reel lube and oil handy. Can I use oils/greases meant for guns/cars/sewing machines? If so, which for what?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The embassy's press officer sent me this link to a news story about the King on a fly-fishing trip. ABU doesn't make fly gear, but the King does fish.

Edit: got red line for the red reel, and cleaned it up with nail polish remover. It's very red.

HOW

YOU HAD ONE JOB, LEVELWIND. Goddammit.

Handle's a bit loose upon reassembly; I only have a 3/8" at my desk, and being Swedish, it's a 10mm nut, the wrench for which is out in the garage.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 23, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FogHelmut posted:

I've been doing an incorrect Fish N Fool knot, or maybe you want to call it a reverse Trilene knot. Palomar seems easier.
Palomar knot is amazingly simple and also versatile, I use them to make multi-hook leaders by pulling extra length out and then threading a hook over it, for beach casting, then I do one on both ends and loop a swivel through one end and whatever size weight I need from the other. I'd heard about "palomar knots" for years but for some reason I assumed it was another of those ludicrously complicated knots which require both hands plus holding part of the knot in your mouth while you push the knot snug with your tongue (gently caress you Dropper Loop! You always loving go wonky on me!)

I'm a total convert because you can pretty much tie a palomar one-handed.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

coyo7e posted:

you can pretty much tie a palomar one-handed.

I wouldn't recommend trying, though. Sounds like a good way to get a hook stuck in your hand, and I can tell you, that's not fun. There's pretty much only the one way to get it out (push it through like you would a plastic worm, cut off the barb, and pull it out).

Could be worse, though. When my mom was 10, she walked too close to her dad while he was casting, and got one in ... well, technically her leg, but if it'd been an inch or so to the left it'd be a stylish piercing these days.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
But why would you need to handle a hook until the knot is finished? For reals, don't hold sharp poo poo in your hand while you're busy tying a knot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Palomar knot is amazingly simple and also versatile, I use them to make multi-hook leaders by pulling extra length out and then threading a hook over it, for beach casting, then I do one on both ends and loop a swivel through one end and whatever size weight I need from the other. I'd heard about "palomar knots" for years but for some reason I assumed it was another of those ludicrously complicated knots which require both hands plus holding part of the knot in your mouth while you push the knot snug with your tongue (gently caress you Dropper Loop! You always loving go wonky on me!)

I'm a total convert because you can pretty much tie a palomar one-handed.

The dropper loop is the spiritual twin of one of my favorite rope knots, the alpine butterfly, so I want to use it but have never managed to tie one in braid in a non-living room situation.

In other news, I have been out of town for like 4-5 weeks working first at a beach/pier on Lake Michigan and now in a tiny town in CO. I never really had much time to get out and fish but more so I couldn't figure out a good way pack a pole that would survive the trucking. Other then making a big rear end PVC tube, anyone have a clever way to pack a rod and reel that can survive shipping?

I did have my gf mail me my light wight reel out here to CO so that if I have a chance to get on the water just need to buy a cheap rod and some tackle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Why not buy a 3 or 4 piece rod, and pack it in a small-rear end PVC tube? ;)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bunnielab posted:

Other then making a big rear end PVC tube, anyone have a clever way to pack a rod and reel that can survive shipping?
A two-piece rod and a poster tube.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

coyo7e posted:

But why would you need to handle a hook until the knot is finished? For reals, don't hold sharp poo poo in your hand while you're busy tying a knot.

I was thinking that to tie it one-handed you'd have to swing the hook through the loop, which could end badly, but I just tied it one-handed around a carabiner with paracord and it looks like you'd be able to do it without hooking yourself.

Dad's Ambassadeur at the lake:

Went up to Daingerfield State Park Sunday afternoon around 5pm, stayed until it got dark and the scary reptiles started coming out. I'm much better at casting now with my old rod and the less-whippy one that was on the red reel; still blaming last trip's failures on the floppy rod.

We almost caught a fish -- roommate got one to the surface, but it managed to escape while she was lifting it out of the water, and we saw plenty of fish ignoring our lures (with the sun just so, you can see about 3' down from the pier). We also saw a snake and an alligator swimming around just after sunset, which is when we decided to pack out. gently caress hooking one of those.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
That reel is gorgeous.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've been doing the bulk of my fishing with my 6 year old daughter this summer, and have been using my lightest gear to make all the bluegills we've been catching a little more interesting.

I'm kind of loving the light setup, so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good mid-level ultra light spinning rod and reel. Right now I am just using a cheap diawa samurai combo from dicks. I want to upgrade from that, but I'm not looking for anything fancy since I'm mostly going to use it when fishing with kids, which gets me about one cast for every three of theirs if I'm lucky.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

The dropper loop is the spiritual twin of one of my favorite rope knots, the alpine butterfly, so I want to use it but have never managed to tie one in braid in a non-living room situation.

In other news, I have been out of town for like 4-5 weeks working first at a beach/pier on Lake Michigan and now in a tiny town in CO. I never really had much time to get out and fish but more so I couldn't figure out a good way pack a pole that would survive the trucking. Other then making a big rear end PVC tube, anyone have a clever way to pack a rod and reel that can survive shipping?

I did have my gf mail me my light wight reel out here to CO so that if I have a chance to get on the water just need to buy a cheap rod and some tackle.

Where in CO?

I went to Home Depot and got a couple pieces of 2.5" PVC (there's usually a rack of 24" length of several different diameters), a closed end cap, a joiner section, and a threaded end cap. Plus the cement, it was about $15 and way stronger than a lot of those thin metal tubes covered in canvas or nylon. Heavier and bulkier, though. But I abuse my gear. I have room for about three 4-piece rods in it, if they're socked and wrapped snug.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I did the same thing for my 2-pc 9 1/2 ft rod and just used some duct tape to secure the ends. At first I didn't even tape them on but after I dropped it, the tip popped off. Cost me like 6 bucks, but it's over 4 foot so not so handy for air travel.

I did stick an old gym bag shoulder strap to it though. :)

Many 3 or 4 piece rods come with their own container though I've got a couple fennwick backpacking rods that're awfully easy to tote around in luggage.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 30, 2014

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

DoctaFun posted:

When I was in middle school I caught a ~10 lb channel cat at my friend's grandparent's house. We took it out of the water, took a bunch of pictures, cleaned all of our sunfish and then realized neither of us had ever cleaned a catfish before. So we had his Grandpa clean it and he took off a filet from each side, leaving just the head attached to the guts basically.

I still remember as he's putting the carcass into a plastic bag to freeze(so it wouldn't smell or something), the catfish was still breathing. It was crazy.

When you clean a catfish there are two things you do FIRST. EVERY TIME.

Right in between the eyes, the skull angles inward. Make a slit from just above the eyes about 1.5-2 inches down. If you have a traditional filet knife, take the tip and run it downwards along the slit until the knife enters the skull. Once you've found this open area in their skull slide the knife INTO the catfish's skull until the catfish appears the have a quick seizure, and just stops moving. Congratulations! You've hit the brain! Now, proceed to obliterate the brain, turning it into soup.

Cleaning a catfish is an absolute joke, frankly it's easier than other fish with lighter bone structure!

1. Right beside the dorsal fin you will find that there is a bone that extends out near the skin outwards from the spine, take a BONING knife (don't use a filet, it's a waste of time) and push the knife down to the rib cage, start cutting towards the tail, along the spine until you come right behind the belly.

2. Push the knife along the spine all the way through the fish. Cut against the spine all the way to the tail until the mean separates.

3. Return to the origination point and cut just around that extended bone and separate the flesh from the spine all the way to to head. Run your knife along the rib case until all of the flesh comes off.

4. Repeat on other side.

5. Lay your filet on the cutting board skin side down and make a slit in the mean towards the skin. Pull the skin into the blade and cut the flesh off

Optional Pre 1 step: If you like to eat the skin of fish, catfish skin is excellent... if it's prepared right. Run a VERY sharp knife and scrape the skin all around where the filet would come off of. After your knife fills with goop, clean it off and repeat until you remove ALL of the slime.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 5, 2014

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Looking back I now realize it was not the most humane way to clean a fish :(.

I just got back from a week in Alaska, how incredible! It's just absolutely beautiful up there, it really is an outdoorsman's paradise.

We planned for two days of fishing and ended up doing three. Our first day of guided fishing for rainbows/silver salmon on the upper Kenai was a complete clusterfuck and I called and complained because I felt very disappointed after spending $700 for my wife and I to fish. The owner of the charter offered to take us out personally the next to make up for it, free of charge! That was awesome of him, he was a great guy and a great guide. We got paired up with the sports reporter from Anchorage's NBC affiliate, Kari Bustamante(look her up, seriously). Her and her cameraman were awesome, we all had a great time and left after about 4 hours with a limit of silvers each.

Halibut fishing in Seward through Puffin charters later in the week was a joke, my wife and I each caught halibut right away, but you can only keep one over 29" and one under 29", which wasn't communicated to us before I caught mine(which meant I was basically done fishing after catching a fish like 40 minutes into the trip), then my wife caught a small halibut that they gaffed immediately without asking if we wanted to keep it because, "It looked under 29", but measured 29.5", they made her keep it and thus we filled our limit of over 29" halibut. Yes, I wanted to pay $700 to catch a 29.5" halibut. Then we had to let other clients take over for us if we got any bites because "they don't have their overs yet, and we'd hate to throw back any big fish."

Yeah, you know what else I would hate as a paying customer? To catch an 8 pound halibut and then let someone else reel up an 80 pound halibut on my rod. It would be awesome for them to do no work but get to bring home 60 pounds of fish while I sit here with my thumb up my rear end. Then we moved to try and catch silvers and the entire boat caught 0. That's fishing I guess, but it wasn't the 'fishing' that anyone else experienced in town.

Anyways, that day was disappointing, we dropped all our fish off at the processing place later that day and had 21 pounds of halibut to go along with our 25 pounds of silver salmon. You want to feel sick to your stomach? Pay $700 for a charter and bring in 20 pounds of fish, and then wait in line behind a group of two people dropping off 55 pounds of salmon and 30 pounds of rockfish, to go along with the "60 pounds of halibut from yesterday!".

To make matters worse, when we picked up the fish, they misplaced all of our salmon. Awesome. They ended up giving us the same weight in salmon from their fresh caught stock, and then adding on 6 pounds of halibut and 6 pounds of salmon(which is about $250-$300 worth of fish), but still, disappointing.

Overall it was a fun trip, in a truly breathtaking place. But to be quite honest, I could spend $4k+ to go to Alaska for a week, fish every day, and catch a total of about 30 fish(they have strict laws up there, once you catch your limit, you can't fish anymore, makes me really appreciate the catch and release laws we have in MN) OR I could pay $3k, go to an all-inclusive fly-in trip in Manitoba, probably catch 1000 walleye/norhtern/lake trout, with a chance at a trophy in any of those species.

Either way, if you ever make it up to the Kenai Peninsula, I'd recommend giving Jimmie Jack fishing charters a call, he's a total pro and takes care of his customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Holy crap, they made you keep a 29.5" Halbut? MORE LIKE HALIBOOOOO!

gently caress that, I would have thrown a loving fit and probably thrown the mate overboard that told me I had to keep a 29.5" fish. I'm the customer, and I don't want to keep this piece of gently caress