Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lightanchor posted:

Have you heard of, like, Pacman

I think you mean Mrs.Pacman. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also shut the gently caress up BottledBodhisvata you posted a D&D thread about how schools should teach karate and the like instead of science and math

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, I was a member of the Burger King Kids Club as well. Wheelchair kid was a scientist but they had a tree house. Very problematic.

Am I crazy, or was his name Wheels

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

video game hookers are almost always obviously meant as the sex slaves or just kinky background decoration so people get that a game is "adult" and "grown up"

I can't think of a single "empowered woman in control of her sexuality" expensive call girl-type in a video game I've played

That's called professionalism. You think women can't have any, don't you?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also shut the gently caress up BottledBodhisvata you posted a D&D thread about how schools should teach karate and the like instead of science and math

I too would like our public schools replaced by Ninjitsu Academies

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

video game hookers are almost always obviously meant as the sex slaves or just kinky background decoration so people get that a game is "adult" and "grown up"

I can't think of a single "empowered woman in control of her sexuality" expensive call girl-type in a video game I've played
The ghoul dominatrix from Fallout: New Vegas. Beatrix.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lazyfire posted:

Well, you're supposed to tie payments to content creation. A blogger would get paid a set amount per article, or a YouTube person would get money for each video or something like that. Zoe Quinn decided that she deserved a salary from her Patreon and so just draws money from it every month because Reddit post and Tweets don't count as content.

Yeah, I was a member of the Burger King Kids Club as well. Wheelchair kid was a scientist but they had a tree house. Very problematic.

Didn't his wheelchair fly or am I thinking of X-Men again

...holy poo poo though, never realized the treehouse would be completely handicap inaccessible.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I said they should teach martial arts instead of regular P.E. and I stand by it, it'd be kickin' rad and also dope.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lightanchor posted:

it was, but Boomer was the best BKKC member next to Kid Vid.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What irritates me is that the debate on not just women in games but everyone who isn't a bald white space marine is being fronted by assholes like Sarkalarkadingdong and Quim. It's a loving important discussion and deserves better. Someone like Leigh Alexander would be so much better and would hopefully (but probably not) bring it on the right track and away from all this utter bullshit.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I think the real issue is that you can not play as a female or other in CoD and I am forced to murder tens of thousands of white males.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Um I notice you're not talking about the FEMALE members of the BK Kids Club? :mad:

What's a lady gotta do to get oppressed around here!?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
heart is totally a power if you don't believe me watch this summer's blockbuster hit "guardians of the galaxy"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think you mean Mrs.Pacman. :colbert:

the creator is on record saying that the idea of ms. pacman came to him when he thought about the rapacious hunger for food and material goods that women exhibit.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

it was, but Boomer was the best BKKC member next to Kid Vid.

What about my homie Jaws?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

As a man, I am motivated by the concept of my girlfriend getting kidnapped and I gotta go save them. Is that so bad? You gotta motivate people somehow--either you kill some old gently caress who like raised you or you kidnap something that you may want to get down with the get down with, y'know? Those are your cliches. It's either Obi-Wan or Leia. You need a goal to go towards that has emotional meaning.

How do you motivate somebody to play your game? Everyone can understand the emotion of having someone you love get taken away from you. It's fundamental and basic to all human beings. I have absolutely no problem with having girls rescue guys, and I object only to the notion that the trope itself is fundamentally bad. I know a lot of girls who think being rescued by a dashing hero is still the definition of romantic. Are they wrong to think so?

This is a very male-centric motivation still. Which is not in itself a problem, but you have here already admitted "as a man" that the motivation is not universal, in a sense. Note that I'm not saying that women do not understand this motivation, but it is in the same way that blaxploitation movies do not carry messages directly aimed at white people, while the message is universal in some sense (oppression is bad). So I believe we agree to a point. The problem is the structure, any single block in the structure is not a problem.

You also mention the fantasy about getting rescued by a dashing hero. That is off course a valid fantasy, similar to the plot of twilight, say. But the games discussed in Anita's videos are not about being rescued, but about rescuing. So those women you know will be excluded. Their fantasy is not necessarily catered to.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lightanchor posted:

Of loving course it was, the PC 90's being described by the Karate Kid were really bad at being PC. Proof: Why the Black Power Ranger gotta be black? Why was the Asian girl the yellow one?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

The_Cack posted:

heart is totally a power if you don't believe me watch this summer's blockbuster hit "guardians of the galaxy"

I think that is family or friendship not heart. Tree people don't have hearts but have love. Stop being ableist.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Rabble posted:

Wait wait wait, patreon is a website where you give someone a monthly payment for absolutely nothing??

What the gently caress

How are they going to be incentivized to receive money for future goods/services without first receiving a steady flow of income for doing nothing, to test the waters if you will

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cycloneman posted:

The ghoul dominatrix from Fallout: New Vegas. Beatrix.

OK, yeah, she counts. Can't believe I forgot her, actually, since New Vegas is my no-poo poo favorite video game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lazyfire posted:

Of loving course it was, the PC 90's being described by the Karate Kid were really bad at being PC. Proof: Why the Black Power Ranger gotta be black? Why was the Asian girl the yellow one?

I think that the Red Ranger was a native American in one of the series as well.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

You better believe the Yellow Ranger was Vietnamese and the White Ranger was white

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also read this for a laugh. This is what BoddledBoddishivata actually believes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598965

Dec 26, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

they should though

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Remember Captain Planet? Those teenagers sure were diverse. The american was of course a loud mouth belligerent. The show should have ended after one episode where he says "gently caress this," goes off to burn some fossil fuels and refuses to give the ring back.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Also read this for a laugh. This is what BoddledBoddishivata actually believes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598965

platinum upgrade: $10

finding out archives is another $10: priceless

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

01011001 posted:

who can i donate to to get you to shut up about this awful sincere discussion of minorities in gaming poo poo

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, if your main trigger in life is that dead women sometimes are posed sexy in games you need to have a serious think. Pick your battles and focus on something like the right to abortions for fucks sake.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Azraelle posted:

This is a very male-centric motivation still. Which is not in itself a problem, but you have here already admitted "as a man" that the motivation is not universal, in a sense. Note that I'm not saying that women do not understand this motivation, but it is in the same way that blaxploitation movies do not carry messages directly aimed at white people, while the message is universal in some sense (oppression is bad). So I believe we agree to a point. The problem is the structure, any single block in the structure is not a problem.

You also mention the fantasy about getting rescued by a dashing hero. That is off course a valid fantasy, similar to the plot of twilight, say. But the games discussed in Anita's videos are not about being rescued, but about rescuing. So those women you know will be excluded. Their fantasy is not necessarily catered to.

Well, you're still living out the fantasy, you're just living out the fun part. Every woman wants to be rescued, but it's not really a lot of fun to wait for four months in a prison cell until then. It's a matter of fact that whoever is having the actual adventure is going to be having a much more interesting experience than the one being rescued, regardless of the genders of either.

Sarkeesian never makes mention of Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year door, where you do play as Peach doing poo poo while waiting to be rescued. Or the first Paper Mario, for that matter. Largely because it's really boring, actually, but it IS at least relevant, and I think each time you do it, Peach sends Mario some sort of valuable information about whatever the gently caress

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

well yeah, kids are fat. they shouldn't be fat. math doesn't make them not fat, duh. Looks like you didn't so hot in science class. If only your school had karate

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

well yeah, kids are fat. they shouldn't be fat. math doesn't make them not fat, duh. Looks like you didn't so hot in science class. If only your school had karate

Schools don't even make kids climb ropes anymore, how are you gonna make fun of fat kids without rope climbing

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I think every school should have a mandatory weight lifting program. Make me Secretary of PE Obama.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also shut up nerd, this is the thread for long range slapfights.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Wasn't there this DS game where you play as Peach trying to rescue Mario but her super power was caused by mood-swings?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Wasn't there this DS game where you play as Peach trying to rescue Mario but her super power was caused by mood-swings?

Yeah, it was really good too.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
BTW feminists destroyed XSeed's twitter with a loving dumptruckload of feminism rants because girls in one game can be beaten up, yet they ignored Xenoblade a game that X-Seed brought over to America where not only can you play as a woman, but half the cast is all females.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

"I imagine this third option will be the most controversial of these proposals, but I think there's something to be said about having a population that can defend itself. Indeed, I'd argue that this is a fundamental aspect of the American character--the second amendment seems to be broadly interpreted as having the right to defend ones self against tyranny. I also believe that, with training in martial arts and instruction in the philosophies of combat, you'll have less gun owners, you'd diminish the impact of gun culture, and you could feasibly actually disarm the police force and maybe put a stop to the growing police state, much of which stems from abuses of authority. It is not a healthy society that puts all of its martial instruction and all of the powers of force into the hands of a singular organization. I'm certain everyone has dealt with a bullying police officer who knows that he's bigger than you, stronger or better armed, and can get away with pushing you around. In the world I'm envisioning, there lacks that discrepency. Everyone is on the same page. Everyone is on the same level, at least fundamentally."

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Lodin posted:

Also, if your main trigger in life is that dead women sometimes are posed sexy in games you need to have a serious think. Pick your battles and focus on something like the right to abortions for fucks sake.
nah gently caress real world problems. everything is corrupt and poo poo and nothing we do matters. I will focus on what gives me the most lols thanks

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The issue with female agency in video games is that people like Anita don't want female characters with depth. They want male characters that have a female skin and voice. When making a video game about ancient warriors it doesn't make sense to use women because that is not what happened.

People demand female characters with entirely male attributes but are unable to specify why being the NPC with the sword is better than being the NPC that is captured. The captured NPC is only a woman in the first place in an attempt to be inclusive they could easily be replaced with a man or chest of gold.

The reason for the damsel in distress trope is reality. This is actually what happens when a person is kidnapped in real life. A team of male police or soldiers is sent to rescue them. Can anyone name even a single real life situation in which a group of highly trained women stormed a compound to rescue a captured man.

This isn't about sexism it is about broken women who wish they where born men. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of pushing for selective service to include women they would rather push EA to reskin the protagonist in the next call of duty.

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 28, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

OK, yeah, she counts. Can't believe I forgot her, actually, since New Vegas is my no-poo poo favorite video game.

Yeah, I was mildly annoyed when Anita cited Fallout as an example of transgressive portrayal of sexual workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

also shut up nerd, this is the thread for long range slapfights.

speaking of which, is Anita still at an undisclosed secure location?

• Locked thread