Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Iron Passage is the dumbest loving thing in the history of Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Parry 'rules' follow the same ones as in DS, don't they? i.e. Enemy must have a weapon and be one size category bigger/smaller?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Has anyone tried powerstancing both Fume swords at once to see if it gives a special moveset? It feels like it should.

Tried it. Sadly it does not. Although your right hand R2 can still do the heavy counter thing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Are there any weapon types that cannot be countered? Like, when someone is spamming the Monastery parry machine-gun, is there something I could switch to that it couldn't be parried by to punish them for it?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any weapon types that cannot be countered? Like, when someone is spamming the Monastery parry machine-gun, is there something I could switch to that it couldn't be parried by to punish them for it?

Any Curved Greatsword can't be parried with certain moves that I forget. usually it's faster to just use jumping attacks, though, since those can't be parried. or guard break and hit them while they recover.

honestly though, since they've nerfed monscims, they're not much of a threat. they have the same parry window as all curved swords now, so it's much more forgiving.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I want to say Ultra Greatswords and Giant Maces can't be parried when 2h.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Parry 'rules' follow the same ones as in DS, don't they? i.e. Enemy must have a weapon and be one size category bigger/smaller?

Nope. You can parry a ton of enemies you wouldn't expect, such as the Ruin sentinels or the Darkstalkers.

dalir
Mar 18, 2014
Yeah I have to say, my latest DkS2 character is using the Greatsword almost exclusively, and I had a blast leveling with it. At first I almost chickened out and went back to my old dull Bastard Sword (or Claymore) and Drangleic Shield safe zone, but then I got into it. Even though the Greatsword I was using at the time was underleveled when I got to Iron Keep (used my Titanite on the BS), it was genuinely fun to go through the game as pure melee and 2h. Oh, and Caestus, of course.

The second DLC was a pleasant surprise with the GS character since they can be staggered, but I'm really having a hard time sticking by my Greatsword in Shulva. Anyway, highly recommend the weapon, especially if you're used to easy leveling builds like faith/str and the like.

Smelter Demon can go gently caress himself though. I got so mad when I walked through that fog.

EDIT:

kazil posted:

Yeah that place overall + the boss made me hate the DLC for a while, but then I found Fume Knight and the Alonne Stuff. Neither me or the person watching me play figured out that I could've simply ran through the gate and not deal with all those spellcasters/archers as a melee. I don't know why, because it's really obvious.

dalir fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 28, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
How do people manage jumping attacks and guard breaks on the PC? Are they limiting their framerate to 30 fps, using KB+M, using custom controllers with macro capabilities, or what?

Due to the fps timing bullshit in this game, I have a <5% success rate at performing them. I know it's not just me because I used to do it all the time in DS1 (jumping attacks were literally my primary mode of attack with a Zweihander for much of the game), and I can do it 100% of the time with keyboard binds.

I miss being able to jump attack. :(

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Any Curved Greatsword can't be parried with certain moves that I forget. usually it's faster to just use jumping attacks, though, since those can't be parried. or guard break and hit them while they recover.

honestly though, since they've nerfed monscims, they're not much of a threat. they have the same parry window as all curved swords now, so it's much more forgiving.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all standing two-handed attacks from curved greatswords, ultra greatswords, and great hammers can't be parried. Running and rolling attacks can always be parried regardless of weapon. Jump attacks can never be parried.

(e: google led me to a spreadsheet from reddit. also I forgot to mention whips are unparryable)

The monscim apparently got re-buffed to its previous glory in the Sunken King patch. I never bother risking regular attacks when facing it... if someone's holding a monscim then it's Jump Attack o'Clock. It's not much of a downside since jump attacks have amazing tracking (is this true for all weapons?) and can punish rolls well.

Genocyber posted:

Nope. You can parry a ton of enemies you wouldn't expect, such as the Ruin sentinels or the Darkstalkers.

Of course, most of these exotic parries don't lead into a riposte. At least the Pursuer has the courtesy to stand there like an idiot for a few seconds, but the dang ol' sentinels will be winding up another attack almost before the parry sound effect ends.

Cathair posted:

How do people manage jumping attacks and guard breaks on the PC? Are they limiting their framerate to 30 fps, using KB+M, using custom controllers with macro capabilities, or what?

Due to the fps timing bullshit in this game, I have a <5% success rate at performing them. I know it's not just me because I used to do it all the time in DS1 (jumping attacks were literally my primary mode of attack with a Zweihander for much of the game), and I can do it 100% of the time with keyboard binds.

Practice your timing enough and you'll be able to pull it off pretty consistently even at 60 fps. or more succinctly, git gud :getin:

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 28, 2014

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kazil posted:

I'm quite excited to see the optional gently caress You Area they're cooking up for the last DLC. If it matches the trajectory for the DLCs so far I expect a work of legend.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Tried it. Sadly it does not. Although your right hand R2 can still do the heavy counter thing.

Dang, that really seems like a missed opportunity.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Cathair posted:

The mouse controls have a small delay before executing commands in order to allow the game to detect whether you are single clicking or double clicking. If you turn off double click detection and rebind actions so that double clicks are unnecessary,the game will execute mouse clicks immediately and you will find guard breaks and jumping attacks much easier to perform. The game currently has a glitch where you will have to enable and re-disable double click detection every time you start the game up, so don't forget to do that.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Dang, that really seems like a missed opportunity.

I'm just sad I can't buff it like FK does. :smith:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Crigit posted:

The mouse controls have a small delay before executing commands in order to allow the game to detect whether you are single clicking or double clicking. If you turn off double click detection and rebind actions so that double clicks are unnecessary,the game will execute mouse clicks immediately and you will find guard breaks and jumping attacks much easier to perform. The game currently has a glitch where you will have to enable and re-disable double click detection every time you start the game up, so don't forget to do that.

I'm aware of that, I'm talking about on a controller. I listed KB+M as one of the possible solutions to the issue that people might be using, because without double-click detection, you can actuate the two necessary inputs within a tiny fraction of a second of each other. Much less wallow room to deal with than the controller. I said it's easy to do with keyboard binds, but I probably should have said mouse+keyboard in general.

Actually, when I experimented with playing on KB+M, I found it easier to use an autohotkey script to bind your mouse buttons to keyboard keys, and just remove all the game's mouse binds. Mind you, this was developed before they patched in the option to turn off double-click detection, but it's still better because the game only supports binds to the basic three mouse buttons. With autohotkey, you can bind everything that the game can and use all your extra buttons too.

I forget where I found it, but someone made a good AHK script that has safeguards for only triggering when in-game and so on, and can be customized to whatever specific binds you like. Probably still available via google, if anyone here actually does play on KB+M.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Cathair posted:

I'm aware of that

Ah, sorry didn't realize you were talking specifically about using a controller. In that case just git gud I guess :shrug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sun sword did terrible damage when I tried using it, although I infused it with Magic because I had about twice as much INT as STR.

But hey, everybody is required to play sword and board now because gently caress play style variety, FK was the last shove that made me take my main character and respec her from a hexer build into a knuckle dragging moron.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Whoops, never mind, you can be hit out of the air with the Majestic PSL2. Though the jump does also count as a dodge for lower attacks. Jumping over then crouching under the FK's attacks might just be the coolest thing I've ever done in this game.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
In the new DLC area, how do you kill the possessed armour dudes who come back to life?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Whoops, never mind, you can be hit out of the air with the Majestic PSL2. Though the jump does also count as a dodge for lower attacks. Jumping over then crouching under the FK's attacks might just be the coolest thing I've ever done in this game.

you can also roll directly under someone doing it. once that becomes common knowledge you're going to want to start using Gowers.

Speaking of Gowers, I discovered something...odd. If you use the Bewitched Alonne Sword buff, you can stab people standing behind you.

If you used Gowers or Jester's Chest and tried to bait a backstab, you could theoretically kill someone by stabbing yourself and then killing them through you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord Banana posted:

In the new DLC area, how do you kill the possessed armour dudes who come back to life?

Find the Nadalia statue and deal with it.

EDIT: Note that this will not kill them, just make them vulnerable.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Suitaru posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all standing two-handed attacks from curved greatswords, ultra greatswords, and great hammers can't be parried. Running and rolling attacks can always be parried regardless of weapon. Jump attacks can never be parried.

(e: google led me to a spreadsheet from reddit. also I forgot to mention whips are unparryable)

The monscim apparently got re-buffed to its previous glory in the Sunken King patch. I never bother risking regular attacks when facing it... if someone's holding a monscim then it's Jump Attack o'Clock. It's not much of a downside since jump attacks have amazing tracking (is this true for all weapons?) and can punish rolls well.

Greataxes are also unparryable as long as you hit with the sweet spot (which is pretty forgiving). The bandit great axe and lion warrior greataxes look pretty much like regular axes so you can use one of those and watch somebody fail to parry until they are dead. 2h R1s with halberds are also unparryable. I think the R2s are though.

I've read that reapers have to be parried on the sweet spot but can't vouch for it. Their jumping attacks are parryable though which makes me suspicious because the tracking is dumb and you don't hit with the sweetspot with a jumping attack.

You can do a guard break which will stun them while they parry and then drop in two hits.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr Dog posted:

Sun sword did terrible damage when I tried using it, although I infused it with Magic because I had about twice as much INT as STR.

But hey, everybody is required to play sword and board now because gently caress play style variety, FK was the last shove that made me take my main character and respec her from a hexer build into a knuckle dragging moron.

Sun sword does amazing damage with 40 dex and strength. On a per-hit basis it's still not crazy, but it uses so little stamina and is so fast that it's absolutely killer for PvE.

Lord Banana posted:

Stake the ashen idol nearby. This also gets rid of the curse zone.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I feel kinda awful, guys. Invaded someone - did the usual /bow stuff, stabbed forward and...I was suddenly backstabbing him in a completely different area of the map killing the guy one in hit. The gently caress. :psyduck:

Sorry random sorcerer dude. I was as surprised as you were!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Don't infuse a Sun Sword, the entire point of it is the scaling. It's garbage without it. If you want a Straight Sword to infuse just use a Longsword or something. It lacks the 1H poke but whatcha gonna do (except use a Shortsword which has one).

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

It's not possible to get 2 sun swords is it? I mean on your own without someone gifting one to you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

It's not possible to get 2 sun swords is it? I mean on your own without someone gifting one to you.

nope

the ashen warrior sword from the dlc is basically exactly the same, though. better moveset, too. it's like the balder swag sword but with poo poo durability

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

poptart_fairy posted:

I feel kinda awful, guys. Invaded someone - did the usual /bow stuff, stabbed forward and...I was suddenly backstabbing him in a completely different area of the map killing the guy one in hit. The gently caress. :psyduck:

Sorry random sorcerer dude. I was as surprised as you were!

You apparently entered hyper-time and stabbed his very existence.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How's the DLC and latest patches? I burnt out shortly after launch because I tried to create a second character too soon. The furthest I got was Lost Sinner and then getting wiped out by the chariot boss.

My current characters were on track for plate / BK Halberd / Avelyn Grey Knight and light armor / Santier's Red Viper types.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

How's the DLC and latest patches? I burnt out shortly after launch because I tried to create a second character too soon. The furthest I got was Lost Sinner and then getting wiped out by the chariot boss.

My current characters were on track for plate / BK Halberd / Avelyn Grey Knight and light armor / Santier's Red Viper types.

If you got frustrated and quit at Lost Sinner/Chariot boss I would not recommend the DLC at all.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

The Fume Knight is a big, heavy-weapon-wielding knight boss done right. Circle-strafing is the answer to any DS boss, but he's got a bunch of moves that force you to stay on your toes and watch his body language carefully -- the 5+ combos he can use in phase 1, that 0-windup swipe he does when you're trying to flank him, and the brutal Gwynn poo poo he pulls out in phase 2. Very fun fight.

The Fume UGS is my new favorite weapon too, god drat. Back when I got the Black Knight UGS in DkS, I always wished they would add a really broad-bladed UGS that was stable enough to double as a shield. Now it's here, and it's got that block-swing L2 that's versatile and incredibly satisfying to land

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zodar posted:

The Fume Knight is a big, heavy-weapon-wielding knight boss done right. Circle-strafing is the answer to any DS boss, but he's got a bunch of moves that force you to stay on your toes and watch his body language carefully -- the 5+ combos he can use in phase 1, that 0-windup swipe he does when you're trying to flank him, and the brutal Gwynn poo poo he pulls out in phase 2. Very fun fight.

The Fume UGS is my new favorite weapon too, god drat. Back when I got the Black Knight UGS in DkS, I always wished they would add a really broad-bladed UGS that was stable enough to double as a shield. Now it's here, and it's got that block-swing L2 that's versatile and incredibly satisfying to land

The L2 is great because you can see people have OH poo poo moments and there's nothing they can do about it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

Wow. From went completely out of their way with this patch to remove the Barrel.

No seriously, the model doesn't exist anymore, it does not appear even if you call its appearance ID. Only the icon and description remain.

I don't understand. What kind of developer takes the time to remove a harmless cosmetic item yet leaves multiple crash exploits in?

:gonk:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
New player. Is the game a direct sequel and does it have any connection to DS1?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

amuayse posted:

New player. Is the game a direct sequel and does it have any connection to DS1?

Yes and no.

It has a few direct call backs, and might be related in some vague way, but it's a new land with new enemies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kazil posted:

If you got frustrated and quit at Lost Sinner/Chariot boss I would not recommend the DLC at all.
Didn't get frustrated, just sorta lost interest from seeing the early-game content twice in close succession. Happened to me with DS1 on the PS3 (well that and building a terrible character).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You apparently entered hyper-time and stabbed his very existence.

Apparently so! First time I've been on the 'good' side of that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fashion Souls!

Goddamn do I love the Sir Alonne helm.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 28, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finally beat the Fume Knight on my dex/str/int character last night. It was pretty tense, and I ended up having to switch from my Dragonrider Twinblade to Blacksteel Katana, but it felt pretty rewarding once he actually went down. Sir Alonne was an interesting fight, but he went down in two tries.

Time to decide whether to go through on my meat shield character or my caster next. Probably meat shield, I've been growing steadily more disillusioned with my caster with every patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Didn't get frustrated, just sorta lost interest from seeing the early-game content twice in close succession. Happened to me with DS1 on the PS3 (well that and building a terrible character).

Every time I start a new character, the first thing I do is run straight to the fire longsword in the forest of forgotten giants. Upgrade it whenever you find titanite shards, it lets you tear through all of the early game stuff super fast. I don't usually upgrade it past +3, because you find better weapons to use large shards on later. It has low requirements too so you can two hand it with barely any str/dex. It's my best friend for the first half of the game. Or I'm an idiot YMMV.