Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

You didn't answer the question. Is that a cow's leg or a man's leg?

i'm a butcher, want me to tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Depends, are you a butcher of man?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

goodness posted:

Depends, are you a butcher of man?

I'm not, although I did work in a mortuary for a bit

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm not, although I did work in a mortuary for a bit

That's what he calls his basement.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah. I think I see a hoof at the end, but I'm not sure.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kavak posted:

His paw...whaddyacallit...the paw...the hoof.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the failure mode if I am baconing and don't flip the bag for a few days (days 5-8)? Do I end up with a biohazard like ol' maggot leg earlier?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

What's the failure mode if I am baconing and don't flip the bag for a few days (days 5-8)? Do I end up with a biohazard like ol' maggot leg earlier?

A slightly uneven cure at worst -- pork belly in your fridge isn't going to rot in a week, you'll just have half-bacon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

A slightly uneven cure at worst -- pork belly in your fridge isn't going to rot in a week, you'll just have half-bacon.

Will it "overcure" or anything if I keep it in there a few extra days on the other side? Am I worrying too much? :ohdear:

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Too much salt is rough on the cardiovascular system, but you can always fry a test slice and soak it in your special bucket to even it out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kavak posted:

You see the edge of a sock and shoe that is still on the foot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

icehewk posted:

Too much salt is rough on the cardiovascular system, but you can always fry a test slice and soak it in your special bucket to even it out.

Thank you for your charcuterie advice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Got the bacon out of the fridge and bag, color is bacon-like and it's firm everywhere. It's in the oven now, but one thing gives me pause: almost no liquid was released. Like, I held the bag upside down, and nothing dripped out.

The belly was maybe partially frozen when I put it in, but I doubt that would reduce the amount of moisture released. I checked the plate the bag was on, and nothing had leaked onto it. If I somehow had a bad seal, could it just have evaporated?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The salt draws out moisture, then the meat sucks the liquid back in.

holttho
May 21, 2007

icehewk posted:

This is a half-truth. If you are genetically predisposed to sodium related hypertension, then yes, salt is rough on the ticker. If not, and you have working kidneys and all the water you can drink, then your body can tolerate a HUGE amount of salt and be just fine. You will get bloaty and retain water like you can't believe, but you will come out of it just fine so long as you keep hydrating.

Kramjacks posted:

The salt draws out moisture, then the meat sucks the liquid back in.

Negative. Think of the cells as water balloons. If you poke a hole in one, even if you submerge the balloon, it will never re-inflate.

However, I have had the no-liquid-cure's occur, and for the life of me, I don't know what causes it. I do, however, know that it has turned out just fine. Though, even when the belly gives up it's liquid, it's not like there is a gallon of the stuff. Just a few ounces.

Subjunctive posted:

Will it "overcure" or anything if I keep it in there a few extra days on the other side? Am I worrying too much? :ohdear:

Think of the salt traversing across the meat much in the same way that heat would go through meat on a stove. It has a set 'velocity' going through and leaving a steak too long on one side doesn't mean the fix is to leave it for a long time on the other side. It'll just be lopsided for a few days until the salt can come to equilibrium. If you leave it in the fridge for a few before smoking, it'll sort itself out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm sure my wife would be somewhat alarmed to learn that I'm making food safety decisions on the advice of an internet comedy forum, but I'm very grateful for everyone's advice and patience with my questions.

Turned out a little salty, so I'll soak it a bit before I slice and wrap for freezing/fridge. Very tasty though, boy.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

holttho posted:

Negative. Think of the cells as water balloons. If you poke a hole in one, even if you submerge the balloon, it will never re-inflate.

However, I have had the no-liquid-cure's occur, and for the life of me, I don't know what causes it. I do, however, know that it has turned out just fine. Though, even when the belly gives up it's liquid, it's not like there is a gallon of the stuff. Just a few ounces.

Hmm, I remember my bacon cure having a bunch of liquid in the bag after a day, then by the end of the cure it seemed like there was less. Could have just been my imagination.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

holttho posted:

Negative to your negative, this is not how osmosis works! Salt pulls moisture from the outer cells, and slowly works its way to the center, once it's reached the center, those cells will reach an equilibrium, and take some of their moisture back, as their salt levels lower. It's less like a balloon and more like, I dunno, a meat sponge.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Negative to your negative, this is not how osmosis works! Salt pulls moisture from the outer cells, and slowly works its way to the center, once it's reached the center, those cells will reach an equilibrium, and take some of their moisture back, as their salt levels lower. It's less like a balloon and more like, I dunno, a meat sponge.
The technical term is porous, hygroscopic medium.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I'm sure my wife would be somewhat alarmed to learn that I'm making food safety decisions on the advice of an internet comedy forum, but I'm very grateful for everyone's advice and patience with my questions.

Turned out a little salty, so I'll soak it a bit before I slice and wrap for freezing/fridge. Very tasty though, boy.

I found boiling pre-cooking is pretty awesome. Reduces salt and makes the bacon somehow even more delicious of a texture.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's not really how it works either.

The salt in the brine and the salt naturally in the pork move towards equilibrium do to the force of a greater concentration of salt within the brine. To reach this equilibrium water can come out of the meat and into the brine. This dilutes the brine and concentrates the salt within the meat until it matches the concentration within the brine. The other way to reach equilibrium is for salt to enter the meat until it reaches the same concentration as that within the brine.

The other forces at play are capillary action. Most of the water within muscles are held by the myofibrils through capillary action. When salt enters the muscle cells it creates some denaturing of the myofibrils causing them to constrict creating more space for water. So the meat will pull in more water the same way a plant does.

In the end there should be more water and more salt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm enjoying the bacon, but would really like some smoke flavour in it. I could probably get my grill to do it, but I'm also wondering how bad an idea liquid smoke is as part of the cure.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I'm enjoying the bacon, but would really like some smoke flavour in it. I could probably get my grill to do it, but I'm also wondering how bad an idea liquid smoke is as part of the cure.

It doesn't need to go in your cure. After curing brush a small amount over the bacon, or add the bacon to a vacuum bag, add some liquid, seal, and leave it a few hours (you don't need long, and you don't need much liquid either). If you use too much, or leave it too long, it won't be tasty bacon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What about smoked paprika in the cure?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It doesn't need to go in your cure. After curing brush a small amount over the bacon, or add the bacon to a vacuum bag, add some liquid, seal, and leave it a few hours (you don't need long, and you don't need much liquid either). If you use too much, or leave it too long, it won't be tasty bacon.

Ah, cool. I'll try that before baking next time. Thanks!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Breaky posted:

What about smoked paprika in the cure?

Yeah I used to do this at work. It tastes much better than liquid smoke to me, but not everyone agrees.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I used to do this at work. It tastes much better than liquid smoke to me, but not everyone agrees.

Boy, I bet I'd agree. Definitely trying that one next time.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Boy, I bet I'd agree. Definitely trying that one next time.

I'm sure you know already but it doesn't take much. If anyone cares enough I can dig out the recipe we used when I get a chance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm sure you know already but it doesn't take much. If anyone cares enough I can dig out the recipe we used when I get a chance.

Wouldn't mind. I am going to try my 1st bacon as soon as I get a decent source for pork belly around here.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You can also try smoked salts in the cure as well as the paprika.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I did curry bacon once. It was magical :allears:

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Thinking of trying to make "gingerbread bacon" during my next batch - basically add all the spices from gingerbread cookies (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg) to the cure along with dark brown muscovado sugar. Thoughts?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

smilingfish posted:

Thinking of trying to make "gingerbread bacon" during my next batch - basically add all the spices from gingerbread cookies (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg) to the cure along with dark brown muscovado sugar. Thoughts?

I think you should go for it!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Gingerbread bacon sounds like it would go beautifully in a BLT with dried or roasted tomatoes on pumpernickel or rye or some other dark bread.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Nicol Bolas posted:

Gingerbread bacon sounds like it would go beautifully in a BLT with dried or roasted tomatoes on pumpernickel or rye or some other dark bread.

Yeah, writing this suggestion down.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I was given a 16lb pork belly, I have access to about 100lbs more (thanks work) what are some recommendations. I am going to do the recipe listed in the OP but am curious as to how I should be using this.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If I want to make Montreal Smoked Meat and I have a recipe for a 12-14 pound brisket, can I just cut the recipe down for my 3.5 pound brisket? ie 1/4 tablespoons pink salt instead of 1 tablespoon.

For reference, this is the recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/montreal-smoked-meat-recipe.html

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Honestly the amount of cure you're making for the whole isn't gigantic - I'd just make a full batch of cure and dose it on as appropriate.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I am getting brought on, to an as yet to be determined degree of commitment, to be the charcuterie guy for a new local restaurant. I'm pretty excited :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

I like turtles posted:

I am getting brought on, to an as yet to be determined degree of commitment, to be the charcuterie guy for a new local restaurant. I'm pretty excited :toot:

Very nice, dude! Congrats!

• Locked thread