Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
Rogue 4 is kind of cool for Killer, which gives you a 20% double strike buff if you keep killing stuff. That's why I did the 4 rogue/16 bard split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Could drop down to Bard 15, you lose Irresistible Dance that way, but not a huge deal really.

Also keep in mind the Known Issues list:
Shining Crescents currently benefit from Single Weapon Fighting feats, even though it is a two-handed weapon. This will be fixed in a future update.

So you probably want to take advantage of it soon, if you want to mess with it.

fhawksawkward
Sep 8, 2011
I'm trying this game again after playing for a week four years ago and forgetting about it. My new character is named Elisathren - full name: Elisathren Claypool, because everything is better with Primus - in case someone feels like inviting me to join the guild so they can watch me get murdered by wights.

I'm cautiously optimistic so far. Everything is kind of janky and weird, but that's a part of the charm. I'm into hitting things with swords, so the upcoming changers to armor and the melee math are going to make or break this for me.

fhawksawkward fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 10, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
I thought rogue quick strike was morale bonus to doublestrike as well, the same as killer? Probably should go 4 rogue though, if it gets nerfed or ends up being horrible in epics I'll have some outs.

Edit:

DemonMage posted:

Also keep in mind the Known Issues list:
Shining Crescents currently benefit from Single Weapon Fighting feats, even though it is a two-handed weapon. This will be fixed in a future update.

Already fixed. :/

Now to try and salvage this build I guess.

Woden fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 10, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Bards.jpg

Pretty fun and funny so far. Imagine the epic levels will just be even better.

Also that's pretty dumb that it's already fixed, but still on the Known Issues list. They're getting better about a lot of poo poo, but trying to figured out what's a bug and what's intended can be a huge pain in the rear end sometimes.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Is that like a Mass Fascinate or something that Valisti is doing? What exactly is fixed but not yet fixed?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

We both just hit one fascinate, its most of the red named girls guards during that last fight.

And Woden said above that Shining Crescents don't work with SWF anymore. In spite of being on the Known Issues list for the patch from a few days ago, that it's bugged and will be fixed at some point. It's already fixed and shouldn't be on the list anymore.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I'll log in and check later, but it worked with both SFW and THF(got both multipliers) last life as a druid in wolf form. The thing that doesn't work this life is Swashbuckling with it, 19-20x2 is horrible compared to a 13-20x3 Razorend so didn't bother checking the damage. What's really strange was I leveled up to 13(thought it was 14) and got my gear out of the bank and it was working fine with buckling, but when I took 14 it stopped. Tried resetting enhancements but no it wasn't that, so maybe there is a way but I couldn't figure it out so gave up.

Could have been a neat gimmick weapon but now it's back to worthless. TWF while in wolf form ins't WAI either but that'd be a massive nerf, SWF in wolf form probably isn't WAI either. All the fighting styles are messed up in some ways and no idea how they'll dig themselves out of the hole.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So do I get a free month for buying the expansions? Or does Turbine expect me to pay $75 to see everything.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I can't remember the last time a MMO expansion gave a free month. It's not worth buying Shadows really unless you're sure you're going to stick around and need some more content for epic level or TRing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Paladin Sacred Defender Changes.
Fighter Stalwart Defender Changes.

Nothing too exciting, mostly just dropping shield requirements from stuff and buffing them slightly. Also another thread mentioned U23 being up on Lamannia in the next few weeks.

quote:

The Producer's Letter from July is a good current road map for DDO, as are the recent Armor Up threads. We're working to get Update 23 to Lamannia within a few weeks, which will give people a good look at what's coming up next. We're not in a position to provide further information on your specific questions, although the level 30 thing is in the letter from July.

The Players Council does have an NDA largely due to them seeing things in a particularly early state; but it's safe to say that they've been looking at things like the "Armor Up" changes earlier than were made public here, along with some other upcoming ideas and systems. They've been taking an initial (early-and-still-in-development) look at our U23 loot (on paper, in the design phase), and you can expect to see that stuff on Lamannia as well. They've also been looking at some enhancement-related things coming in U23, as well as some topics that aren't yet ready for public consumption (either because we're not ready to announce it, or because it's early enough that who knows where it will end up.)

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, some of those changes are nice, but as you say, underwhelming. The Vorpal knockdown for shields makes even less sense now that theyre removing the enhancement that ups the chance for auto shield bashes (was it seriously that big of a deal?) because nobody stands there blocking and shield bashing that I have seen, even if they are playing sword and board. Being unable to move while shield bashing makes shield bashing really pointless, particularly as its a slow, low damage attack that only strikes a single target. Given that none of the active abilities even use a shield for a special attack, well, if it wasn't a core ability no one would use it.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The auto bash thing is getting moved to Vanguard, which seems to be SnB based again. They better show it off soon as U23 should be dropping next month.

So fighters and paladins will share 2 out 3 trees and both of them are SnB based, pretty lovely IMO. Also defender stances only need 3 levels now, so splashing paladin is better than ever. Divine grace, Divine might, 25 PRR/MRR, 6 saves and if you're using med, heavy armour or a shield can maybe go 4 paladin for 20% HP, 10% run speed, turn undead and +6 str or con.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I thought Vanguard had been nixed as a defensive tree, because it was basically redundant with sacred/stalwart defender? I remember reading something to tgat effect in the Armour Up posts on the forums. I did think they were still going to add an additional shared tree, but it would be an offensive dps one, not a defensive one.

That said, a 3 or 4 level splash of Paladin is instantly more attractive now, especially if they are going to limit the Divine Grace save bonuses cap based on class level (although all the aura bonuses go a long way to helping too).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Vanguard is an offensive sword and board tree, to hopefully bring that up on the level of desirability with the other forms of combat. I'm sure it'll have some defense stuff too like most trees but it won't be the focus.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Hopefully Vanguard will be it's own thing, at the moment all I see with Stalwart is it'll make bard tanks better and no reason at all to take more than 4 levels of fighter for tanks. If Vanguard requires a heavy shield or tower and is about as powerful as swash it'll probably be enough.

Wonder if all those 12 bard 6 fighter/2 rogues will now move over to 15/3/2s or something? Shield mastery is getting nerfed so the loss of 2 feats is no big deal, only tough choice will be between two of 6 con, 20% HP and evasion, if you're a con based dwarf the choice is even harder.

I really like the new bards, but with what we know now fighter tanks seem to be getting left in the dust.

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 14, 2014

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I don't think I'd switch my class numbers - true, I wouldn't need 6 fighter for the def stance anymore, but I could always throw the feats I spent on shield mastery in to something else like Dodge and Mobility. If I did, I'd probably throw them in to Rogue and maybe look at switching to staff fighting with some Warchanter buffs as well and go super Dex heavy.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Posting this since I made it and I find the DDO wiki quest sorting options to be awful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-VmDIVZ8WvzbcribJoaagr070ZD-yQbBy4aulNRuTpA/edit?usp=sharing

Woden
May 6, 2006
Those High Road numbers seem way too high, and don't seem to map to what's on the wiki for either heroic or epic.

https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited/status/500462397094891520

Necro 4 raid boss will be Lady Vol, really hope she doesn't turn into a dragon because I'm getting sick of fighting them.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah they really overcompensated there. It was a huge joke when the game released with 0 dragons in it, but we've got plenty of them to fight. Especially in raids. Getting a little tired of giant sized raid bosses actually, DDO doesn't have large enough raids to really require them, and if a humanoid is a little hulked out by magic so it's easier to see, that's fine.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
I guess that's what I get for trusting all the wiki pages :v:

Woden
May 6, 2006
Looks like that page is from before the great XP rebalancing patch of U20, have fun writing a script to detect those changes.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
I'm not that worried about it. The exp listing wasn't really the point and I don't care overly about it for my own purposes, I just included it because why not.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Given I struggle to remember what chains are available and when/where, I will probably get a lot of use out of that. Don't care so much about xp being accurate or not.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Vol Story and Concept Art. Glad they went with that version of her, as long as she doesn't transform into a dragon at half life =-p

And U23 will be up for first look on Lamannia tomorrow

quote:

The first of these events will be held between 4:00 - 7:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Thursday, August 21st. During this time, several devs will be online to gather and teleport groups into the new U23 Raid!

The second event will be less structured. It will be held throughout the work day for us on Friday (somewhere between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM Eastern, -4 GMT) and will consist of developers creating LFMs for the new raid, then transporting groups into the raid once the LFM is full.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, for once I would like to see a half humanoid/half animal character decide to switch to a fully humanoid form because thats what is currently killing them, not a rival monster. Fight fire with fire and all that.

Or just transform in to a rat and hide in a wall, and then you have to find them without bringing the roof down. Either or.

Woden
May 6, 2006
After hearing all these great things about thrower builds I decided to try one for my wiz life. It's easily the worst TR decision I've made so far, damage is abysmal and healing via auras is underwhelming since I haven't really invested in it much. I can see how it'll be awesome in epics and especially with a TF thrower but for heroics it sucks bad. Low dex(only 40 at level 14) which you need for all those extra procs, no damage adds from Shiradi, no IPS yet and only weak weapons until I can grab one from Eveningstar.

Just throwing this out there for any melee duders that want caster lives, don't do thrower. Only have sorc to go after this and will probably go 8 sorc/6 pally/6 monk BF or something like that, 8 wasted levels for some weak buffs and SP for recons seems like a much better deal.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I can only see throwers being good in heroics if you're doing a shuricannon build with at least 6 monk for ninja spy and 10K stars, plus shuriken expertise, as they all stack. What wiz build are you using? Also, 40 dex at 14 is pretty great I think.

Edit - I did a melee wiz/pally/monk build last life, but took 12/6/2 as the level split. Tough call as a sorc because monk gives you the extra feat, but more sorc levels gives you longer lasting buffs and higher level spell access. Eldritch Knight stuff is pretty ok but it's definitely less awesome than it could be. If I had had more monk levels I probably would have gone for Henshin Mystic enhancements.

Gammon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 21, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I have been thinking about doing a throwing build for my ranger life, but I am fully prepared for it to suck rear end during heroics. I was wondering if snowstar did any real damage if you had IC thrown, it would seem to have a pretty high crit range. Ultimately I will probably just hammer out my level split and use the free heart I have sitting in my bank to change from melee to ranged once I hit 20.

Lamia patch notes up, and SWF is getting nerfed into the ground. Not sure why I am surprised, turbine has never taken the whole "we don't like to nerf things" very seriously.

Fenris13 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 21, 2014

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Nerfed into the ground? As far as I can tell it's changing from 30% attack speed + double damage stat to 30% attack speed + 1.5x damage stat + 20 melee power (20% damage).

Two-handed fighting still seems pretty poo poo though.

Captain Farce fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
That loss of 50% ability bonus is pretty signifigant, 10-15 per hit before the new melee power bonus kicks in. The 20% melee power is on all of the fighting styles and while it sort of makes up for the loss, the bonus is also on shield feats which you can still take while swf, so you would have had it anyways. The nerf isn't so bad as to make swf suck or anything, it is still really good, it is just a big nerf to something that has only been in the game a very short while.

I have yet to test thf yet, but glancing blows while moving seems really good, especially since you can fairly easily get your glancing blows up to 80% or so of your primary damage.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I believe TWF, THF, SWF and the shield feats are all becoming mutually exclusive.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gammon posted:

I can only see throwers being good in heroics if you're doing a shuricannon build with at least 6 monk for ninja spy and 10K stars, plus shuriken expertise, as they all stack. What wiz build are you using? Also, 40 dex at 14 is pretty great I think.

Edit - I did a melee wiz/pally/monk build last life, but took 12/6/2 as the level split. Tough call as a sorc because monk gives you the extra feat, but more sorc levels gives you longer lasting buffs and higher level spell access. Eldritch Knight stuff is pretty ok but it's definitely less awesome than it could be. If I had had more monk levels I probably would have gone for Henshin Mystic enhancements.

Dread ninja build

No perm tensors as it goes for better undead stances, I do throw 2 stars most of the time because of expertise and get a bit more our of 10k but not much as my wis sucks ATM. The problem is Snowstar does 25ish damage and 60 or so on crits, the big damage comes from Colours of the Queen PL so I'm sure it'll come together for epics it's just not fun now.

Some of the new loot looks insane. Kind of hard to read them in that thread though.

Boots of the Innocent: ML 27, resistance 11, speed 15, 12 vertigo, 12 stun, 12 shatter, 6% tendon slice, and two slots of your choice.

Epic quiver: ML 20, speed 15(ranged only), stealth strike 15%, insightful SA 4 and concentration -50. Kind of weak now I know how it works.

Epic litany of the dead: ML 28, +2 profane to all stats, +2 profane attack/dmg, 10d6 light damage when missed, 2 slots of your choice.

Release notes state that OC still needs cleave and PA, wth?

Woden fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 22, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Just real quick, the release notes don't say that. The current requirements are Great Cleave, 23 str and improved crit. The patch removes the Great Cleave requirement (and therefore the power attack and Cleave requirements) as well as the strength requirement (so no specific stat needed). So it'll take improved crit still and that's it.

Also I love the new loot. Hate the MLs as always. Glad that the non raid stuff is BtA too.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Ah ok, the way it was worded it seemed like it went from PA, cleave, G cleave, imp crit and 23 Str to PA, cleave, imp crit and no str req.

New loot should be useful when the cap goes up, but hopefully by then I'll be done with ETRing because ~10 mill per life sounds daunting. The quiver is a nice troll item, guess the devs are sick of monk archer and monk thrower supremacy.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

gently caress all the rest. Best news from U23 is they're adding an item called Mirror of Glamering, it'll be a gold roll reward as well as purchasable in the DDO store. You use it and it pops up "Armor Glamer" or "Docent Glamer", and you can copy the appearance of any armor. It makes it a cosmetic armor piece, and doesn't consume the original item. Also works on helmets.

Hopefully given:

quote:

This snuck out on Lamannia even though it's not yet in a state for preview. The plan is/was to roll this out next week. We'll have more about this item then! The Mirror will also be for sale in the DDO Store in addition to Daily Dice.
The ML on mirrored items doesn't stick around.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 23, 2014

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Here's an interesting question, if you have one of the old school armor kits on a piece of armor and you use the mirror on it will you get the original appearance or will you get the old school armor kit appearance? IE: you have a drow armor kit on an outfit will you get the original outfit skin or the drow armor kit outfit skin

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That I'm not sure of offhand. I think I've still got an old style armor kit, so if I get some time to log on Lamannia and test it, I will.

U23 second look is up:

quote:

(NEW): Harper - A new enhancement tree is now available to all classes! The Harper tree is free to VIPs, and is also available for purchase in the DDO Store.The Harper tree is currently only available to VIP players on Lamannia. Additionally, the Action Point costs of abilities are not adjusted to what they will be when U23 is released.)

Not crazy about locking it to VIP/TP for an enhancement tree, but a global enhancement tree is interesting (and fitting for a Harper). It's full of mostly generically useful stuff, and this is certainly interesting:

quote:

Know the Angles: Antirequisite: Divine Might. You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to ½ your Intelligence Modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. (Activation Cost: 21/18/15 spell points. Cooldown: 20 seconds)

Tier 4 has "free" Eschew Materials, tier 5 has Extend. It's not that the tree is bad, but I'm not sure that many builds will have free points to sink into the tree. Need that new character planner to appreciate stuff like this more easily =-( Not too much else there besides that, looks like Vanguard will be next week in theory.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Not too much else there besides that

Other than big nerfs to melee power, cutting it in half for divine crusader and blitz. Blitz going from 350% damage down to 200% is a pretty big nerf, especially when the first sentence out of their mouths about this patch was that there intention is not to nerf blitz, but to bring the other melees up to par. I have a serious case of "gently caress you turbine" going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh yeah, I thought I posted that earlier in the week, but didn't. They were pretty clear on wanting to weaken the melee power changes since they started out too high. Had "everyone" bitching about how trivial EE was with the changes. So we'll see how that shakes out, I think my biggest problem with nerfing Blitz is that it takes away a lot of the reason to go for the tree. It's a solid tree overall but if it's not doing damage markedly above Divine Crusader, there's not much point in giving up all that awesome that still does really solid damage (please don't nerf Crusader).

quote:

We made these changes based on both internal testing and a lot of feedback by players about what they were experiencing in the game on Lamannia.

On live Master's Blitz is fairly useless on long boss fights. It is also fairly useless in larger groups unless people are holding back DPS to let the blitzer kill enemies. The version we are testing works well on boss fights, and works well in teams even with multiple blitzers. Players who tested the ability felt that these advantages went a long way to making Master's Blitz powerful. The changes also remove some of the aspects of the ability that were less fun and discouraged grouping.

We are eager to hear some more feedback as players get to play with the new changes.

Sev~

[Edit] Tested on my Epic Robe of Shadow, it gave the original appearance, and not the old-school armor kit it had applied to the new cosmetic item. Also was ML0, not 20. Same 0 ML, as it should be, with my black dragon robe. You can also Glamer helmets AND goggles with it. It's 245TP on the test server at least.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread