Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Which rear end in a top hat at google allowed the comments section to hold this many characters?

you can post the entire john galt speech in a youtube comment now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

TinTower posted:

Gamers delenda est.

I've seen this like three times in the last couple days, who is that guy?

Google brings up an old actor.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A fake name picked so someone can throw abuse at someone else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elliotw2 posted:

A fake name picked so someone can throw abuse at someone else.

Or maybe it's ANITA HERSELF?? :tinfoil:

Taken from some idiot on Tumblr:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Well I certainly wouldn't want to miss any updates from Kevin Dobson. :stare:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Kevin Dobson or aka Kevin Dawes? ??
makes you think

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Original poster is my mom's cousin. The linked article is your typical smugness about "kids today" and "parents today" and "in my day we didn't use seatbelts" kind of bullshit. My mom's cousin responded with "I can't figure out how any of us survived. Did kids not have allergies in the 70's?"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Buy the boys a pair of Dungarees...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

TinTower posted:

Gamers delenda est.

Whoever said that people throwing a tantrum over Sarkeesian's work was a source of amusement, you may have to revise that statement now. :cry:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Excels posted:

Buy the boys a pair of Dungarees Toughskins...

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I think it's pretty amusing that such a giant icon of feminism in the video games industry lives at home in her parent's basement.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Double Plus Good posted:

I think it's supposed to be a jump rope, but since like 1/3 of the image has been bizarrely cut off, you don't see the other end of it.

He's probably playing with a top, kids used to use long cords to make them spin back in the olden days.

Macaluso posted:

Or maybe it's ANITA HERSELF?? :tinfoil:

Taken from some idiot on Tumblr:

It's hilarious that Anita and pretty much every other woman in gaming that's even slightly famous has become the center of all kinds of elaborate conspiracy theories. Of course then they bust out the death threats and start calling/showing up at their homes and it becomes less funny. :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I dislike Anita Sarkeesian even though I support her general message of equality for women in gaming, because I think a lot of her specific analysis is flawed and she's just generally too sensationalist. I do not wish for her to be raped or killed.

This is a controversial opinion.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
e: ^^^ same, she's a terrible person for this, and a TERF to boot, the message is fine, but you need to have a thick skin to stand up and tell people they're being shits, stepping back and crying at the first sign of any pushback from trolls is not a way forward.

Kimmalah posted:

It's hilarious that Anita and pretty much every other woman in gaming that's even slightly famous has become the center of all kinds of elaborate conspiracy theories. Of course then they bust out the death threats and start calling/showing up at their homes and it becomes less funny. :(

What IS hilarious, is that this is being portrayed as a feminist issue when *everyone* that posts something that narks some people off will get said death threats because the internet is full of people that love to rile up other people, dox people, and make them feel a little terrified, it was even SA's MO a decade ago.

Of course, I guess it might be a little less hilarious if the forums hadn't been de-tumblr'ed.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Although, they did prove that Quinn was pretending to be harassed to distract from, or draw attention to, whatever she wanted.

some pretty manipulative stuff is going on these days, and as the image says at the bottom, scrutiny is not a sin.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Excels posted:

Although, they did prove that Quinn was pretending to be harassed to distract from, or draw attention to, whatever she wanted.

some pretty manipulative stuff is going on these days, and as the image says at the bottom, scrutiny is not a sin.

Problem is a lot of the time they don't have proof of anything or care, it's just enough to offend them that there's a woman involved in their hobby that they treat like a secret club. And then they post about it like womankind as a whole is having secret meetings about how best to destroy the industry or something.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I wonder if the irony of these hateful pricks that take video games way too seriously lashing out at Sarkeesian just proves her point, dawns on them at all.

EDIT:

Excels posted:

Who cares? It's video games.

Orgophlax has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SybilVimes posted:

e: ^^^ same, she's a terrible person for this, and a TERF to boot,

She is?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I've honestly never watched any of her vids, but I do love (minus the death threats, of course) just how much she seems to be pushing the buttons of gamers just by daring to put herself out there, and getting them to reveal themselves for the emotionally insecure manchildren manbabies they are.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

"Pft, 'Science', just use gut instinct. :smuggo:"

Dante also legit believes she can talk with animals.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SybilVimes posted:

e: ^^^ same, she's a terrible person for this, and a TERF to boot, the message is fine, but you need to have a thick skin to stand up and tell people they're being shits, stepping back and crying at the first sign of any pushback from trolls is not a way forward.

I don't know where you get the impression she doesn't have a thick skin. She has been getting death and rape threats since day one, and she keeps pushing on with what she's doing even though she gets them constantly every day. She's not even "stepping back". She was getting rape/death threats alongside her actual address and felt it wasn't safe to be at her home.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Orgophlax posted:

I wonder if the irony of these hateful pricks that take video games way too seriously lashing out at Sarkeesian just proves her point, dawn on them at all.

If (hypothetically) she were fake-harassing herself, this is exactly why it would work, because people would say it proves her point.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I've not watched the Women as Background Decoration videos but I've not got that impression from her. I think the thinking goes is that she's said dodgy stuff about sex workers, and feminists who hate sex workers also nearly always hate trans people.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TinTower posted:

I've not watched the Women as Background Decoration videos but I've not got that impression from her. I think the thinking goes is that she's said dodgy stuff about sex workers, and feminists who hate sex workers also nearly always hate trans people.

Her comments on the gender spectrum and transphobia in this video (~12:10) suggest otherwise.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Chomp8645 posted:

I dislike Anita Sarkeesian even though I support her general message of equality for women in gaming, because I think a lot of her specific analysis is flawed and she's just generally too sensationalist. I do not wish for her to be raped or killed.

This is a controversial opinion.
At this point she's basically Obama for gaming in that if I did want to find out what legitimate wrongs she might've done, her totally hysterical critics have made it basically impossible to find anything critical of her that doesn't reek of bias if not outright insanity.

Related, there's this thing that's been going around, where someone's trying to get people to boycott game publishers for terrible crimes like "supporting SJWs." Naturally a bunch of people are treating it as a shopping list rather than a boycott list.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Excels posted:

If (hypothetically) she were fake-harassing herself, this is exactly why it would work, because people would say it proves her point.

Honestly you're getting really close to sounding just like the manchildren we're making fun of with all this "she's probably harassing herself for attention and credibility!" :tinfoil: There's a lot of lovely people on the internet that seem to think threats/insults are part of a legitimate debate, I don't see what's farfetched about it.

Guilty Spork posted:

At this point she's basically Obama for gaming in that if I did want to find out what legitimate wrongs she might've done, her totally hysterical critics have made it basically impossible to find anything critical of her that doesn't reek of bias if not outright insanity.

And this is basically what I was originally trying to get at in the first place, just phrased much better. :v:

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Aug 28, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Honestly you're getting really close to sounding just like the manchildren we're making fun of with all this "she's probably harassing herself for attention and credibility!" :tinfoil: There's a lot of lovely people on the internet that seem to think threats/insults are part of a legitimate debate, I don't see what's farfetched about it.

You understand the word "hypothetical" right

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Excels posted:

Yes? I just meant there's no reason to bring up that "hypothetical" at all.

And this is just going to take over the thread so I'm just going to stop here.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Excels posted:

In their defense what you posted is pretty much exactly what we mock in this thread on a regular basis except it's usually about mind-controlling chemtrails or whether Obama is the reincarnation of Caligula reincarnated as Hitler. Really all you were missing was a "hmmmmmmmmmm makes u think" at the end.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If (hypothetically) George W. Bush piloted planes into the twin towers to start a war with Iraq for the Jews, he would have done it on 9/11.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

kazil posted:

If (hypothetically) George W. Bush piloted planes into the twin towers to start a war with Iraq for the Jews, he would have done it on 9/11.

lmao yeah let's jump from stupid anita sarkeesian e-dram to :911:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Excels posted:

People are more rational about it atleast

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kinmik posted:

Because no one watches cartoons on Saturday morning or goes swimming these days. Also, if the schadenfreude thread has taught me anything, it's also that no one wears helmets anyway.

I should ask my friend's brother about how awesome it was to ride a bike without a helmet. I'll probably have to type out his response though, because his coordination is not so good since he was involved in an ATV accident at age 8 and has severe brain damage and can never move out of his parents' home.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Excels posted:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

kazil posted:

oh i get it, you took a comment i made earlier and used it against me

man i just got owned, so hard, gently caress

Is there a Godwin's Law variant for 9/11 yet

Excels has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Aug 28, 2014

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Sorry, Jesus only answers Facebook prayers with more than 10 likes

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Excels posted:

This guy loving sucks

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Excels posted:

Yeah, it's called you're a bad poster :smug:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You guys should just gently caress and get it over with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This whole "feminists are ruining the industry" thing is going to end in a crazy person shooting someone and people are still going to be saying "Well okay maybe that woman didn't deserve that but I don't think you understand, she had bad opinions."

• Locked thread