Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Don't worry bout it till late game. Really.

Also did they change Bio-Suits? I got my puppy paw stick, got my staticians and gears ready to dupe and went to make one only to notice that they aren't creatable and there's no bill for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also did they change Bio-Suits? I got my puppy paw stick, got my staticians and gears ready to dupe and went to make one only to notice that they aren't creatable and there's no bill for them.

Do you have a level 30+ Heavy Knight? This is assuming you do mean Bio-Suit and not Android, which requires NG+.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

Do you have a level 30+ Heavy Knight? This is assuming you do mean Bio-Suit and not Android, which requires NG+.

D'oh. Had a level 30 one but my gladiator was in the support group so it didn't count.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You also need to clear up through chapter 8.

^^ Ah, never mind.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Any veterans out there want to give me a quick reincarnation lesson? I mean, I know how it works, for the most part, but I've read differing things about the most "optimal" way to do it. Everything ranging from "level 80" to "not until you hit 9999."

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you lose out on a pretty big benefit unless you hit the Chara word each of the first five times, yes? (Or is it every time?)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dis posted:

Any veterans out there want to give me a quick reincarnation lesson? I mean, I know how it works, for the most part, but I've read differing things about the most "optimal" way to do it. Everything ranging from "level 80" to "not until you hit 9999."

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you lose out on a pretty big benefit unless you hit the Chara word each of the first five times, yes? (Or is it every time?)

Reincarnating is fine as long as you have the mana to go for genius. Each time you do it your bonus points to allocation increase (and those mean alot) so doing it often when you have a good way to level up is fine, though it's usually suggested to wait till you have staticians or a easy way to level up fast.

Character World lets you do 6 (if you do genius) runs which raise the natural aptitude of the characters as well, so at the end of the game you'll want to reincarnate, do your chara world runs, then repeat. It's not too complicated.

That aside, question regarding the postlude. I just beat the stuffing out of Zetta (after like a hundred resets best I could get is a rare sword from him) and realized poo poo I didn't get the prinny suit off X. Will I have that chance again later? It's... not even that good but I kinda want it for my item list.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Reincarnating is fine as long as you have the mana to go for genius. Each time you do it your bonus points to allocation increase (and those mean alot) so doing it often when you have a good way to level up is fine, though it's usually suggested to wait till you have staticians or a easy way to level up fast.

Character World lets you do 6 (if you do genius) runs which raise the natural aptitude of the characters as well, so at the end of the game you'll want to reincarnate, do your chara world runs, then repeat. It's not too complicated.

That aside, question regarding the postlude. I just beat the stuffing out of Zetta (after like a hundred resets best I could get is a rare sword from him) and realized poo poo I didn't get the prinny suit off X. Will I have that chance again later? It's... not even that good but I kinda want it for my item list.

Yeah but you will have to do a NG+.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man the game is suddenly loving up hardcore. Got 30 floors into a item world and the entire game just crashed with a file report popping up. Managed to keep going though (even got and killed the meowkin pirates :buddy:) but the item council and general campign now freezes up for 20-30 seconds at a time. Started up chara world and did a few runs and surprise it crashed again.

Gettin real tired of this.

Ah poo poo are you talking about D4 Vita? Losing an item world run would suuuuuck.

If anyone is curious I got up to Floor 80 for an item so far and it's been alright. Sometimes the boss floors lag and sometimes they don't. My VA is on english, but also at this point you run through the floors and don't fight anything unless there's a deathblow panel.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Going 10 floors into a chara world run and clearing all the geo blocks, THEN paying 5000 mana just so I can spread an evil symbol's AOE to be able to level more than 3 characters is going to be a pain in the rear end to do multiple times.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Emron posted:

Going 10 floors into a chara world run and clearing all the geo blocks, THEN paying 5000 mana just so I can spread an evil symbol's AOE to be able to level more than 3 characters is going to be a pain in the rear end to do multiple times.

By the time you actually need to worry about that, you'll have a fist user that can knock gatekeepers off their gates, a dude that'll have a 10 square move distance and can go through units, and you'll be getting 5000 mana every time you clear a map to grind out levels.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I haven't indulged in Chara world yet at all, and I understand a lot of what's written so far but I would like to know. If I hypothetically want to get sword affinity or abilities onto a character that doesn't have it, how would I use chara world to do it?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

5er posted:

I haven't indulged in Chara world yet at all, and I understand a lot of what's written so far but I would like to know. If I hypothetically want to get sword affinity or abilities onto a character that doesn't have it, how would I use chara world to do it?

If it's a generic, the easiest way is to reincarnate them into a sword-using class to learn them. if it's a special character, it's a pain in the butt. But the general proceudre is this-

1. Acquire a Runner (I usually go for the Super Hero, give him a fist and three pairs of shoes)
1a. Acquire a Blaster (Optional, but a mage with a staff and a maxed out low level spell can clear the gate keeper off a lot of Chara World levels before you bring out your runner)
2. Learn Skills on Donor (In this case, probably a generic who has the affinity)
3. Reincarnate the target to level 1 and unequip them (So the enemies in the chara world are weaker)
4. Use the Aura Pyramid to get huge piles of mana on the Target without gaining levels (The cost to learn a skill via the chara world is something like, 10x the base cost of the skill, and you'll want to make sure you've got extra in case the secret dojo pops up)
5. Make sure Donor and Target are in the same Evil Area
6. Enter the Target's chara world, blitz past everything. (I usually only stop to take out the null symbols that nuke all the lower blocks, and therefore reveal any Heart Conservatives, Aptitude Boxes or Evility Boxes)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
How are you supposed to use innocents, in D2?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Uncle Jam posted:

How are you supposed to use innocents, in D2?

What do you mean by use? Innocents passively add stats or characteristics to whatever item they're inhabiting, and if you go inside the item's item world and then beat them up, their level doubles and you can move them as you please.

Also are we talking about Disgaea 2 or Disgaea D2? For some reason NIS decided to name the fifth Disgaea game in a way that is confusing as hell.

Rascyc posted:

Am I terrible for playing a lot of NIS games but never Makai Kingdom? Should I go do that? For reference, Soul Nomad was my favorite NIS game. Disgaea is usually middle of the road for me as it's really hard for me to do post game content in Disgaea because at first feels great and then there's a gulf of nothingness for me until the next cool milestone.

Bit late on this but Makai Kingdom tried a bunch of new concepts; some were pretty good, some not so much. It's overall a good game, and you'll probably enjoy it if you enjoy NIS's other stuff.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 26, 2014

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

How's the PSP version of 2, Dark hero days?
I'm down for some more disgaea, played 1 and 4, but I heard bad things about 3, and the setting doesn't seems that appealing, looking up the beginning in a LP.
Gameplay-wise, is it a huge step back from 4?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sir Gladu posted:

I'm down for some more disgaea, played 1 and 4, but I heard bad things about 3, and the setting doesn't seems that appealing, looking up the beginning in a LP.

The second game actually has pretty unique gameplay. It uses a felony system to power your guys up. The best way to get them is to throw a massive stack of guys into the court (?) gate so they all go instead of just the one guy, they all end up getting charged and getting more powerful.

They tried several interesting things that got abandoned in later serious so its worth checking out. Also Axel.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The PSP version is also buggy as hell, especially with the DLC. They couldn't really fix it with patches or something so it remains kind of hosed up. It's still definitely playable, but as far as I remember it's just Disgaea 2 with the ability to unlock Magichange if you beat the sidestory first, but like the sidestories tend to be it has a horrible difficulty curve so jumping straight into it without data from a main story playthrough can be a pain.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Hunter Noventa posted:

If it's a generic, the easiest way is to reincarnate them into a sword-using class to learn them. if it's a special character, it's a pain in the butt. But the general proceudre is this-

1. Acquire a Runner (I usually go for the Super Hero, give him a fist and three pairs of shoes)
1a. Acquire a Blaster (Optional, but a mage with a staff and a maxed out low level spell can clear the gate keeper off a lot of Chara World levels before you bring out your runner)
2. Learn Skills on Donor (In this case, probably a generic who has the affinity)
3. Reincarnate the target to level 1 and unequip them (So the enemies in the chara world are weaker)
4. Use the Aura Pyramid to get huge piles of mana on the Target without gaining levels (The cost to learn a skill via the chara world is something like, 10x the base cost of the skill, and you'll want to make sure you've got extra in case the secret dojo pops up)
5. Make sure Donor and Target are in the same Evil Area
6. Enter the Target's chara world, blitz past everything. (I usually only stop to take out the null symbols that nuke all the lower blocks, and therefore reveal any Heart Conservatives, Aptitude Boxes or Evility Boxes)

You are a peach. Thank you!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
4 is out on vita tomorrow here in Europe and I can't wait. There's something about handhelds that make me want to play srpgs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm right up to what I assume is 2 or 3 maps away from the end of the Final Episode, maxed out the Customer Rank and everything. I'm still at a loss regarding the Evil Symbols. I don't know if I want to overlap as many Areas as I can, spread them out as much as I can, focus on overlapping L panels, whether certain characters need to be in certain arrangements in certain symbols, whether the Shoe Lab is ever worth using...it's complicated as gently caress.

For example, I decided to make the leader symbols for the Mana Pyramid and the Training Grounds overlap, so that the unit that fucks up the most enemies manages to distribute as much extra Mana and EXP as possible. That seems like a sensible setup, but I can't quite figure anything out for the other symbols. I also don't know how you're supposed to get everyone where you want them AND have them be next to people they commonly fight against...

Any tips in this regard? Does the size of your army/number of deputies matter? More people = more areas filled? Is it ever helpful to have a large amount of units, anyway? Cause I've had a lot more success with a smaller group, just as I expected. But I also want to unlock all of the class intro movies cause they're funny :downs:

Edit: Oh yeah, and does the square you're on ever matter? With how they match up to story maps and everything? Cause they don't seem to do anything outside of Rosen Queen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shoehead posted:

4 is out on vita tomorrow here in Europe and I can't wait. There's something about handhelds that make me want to play srpgs.

Gotta wait until the 11th here in Australia :suicide:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I'm right up to what I assume is 2 or 3 maps away from the end of the Final Episode, maxed out the Customer Rank and everything. I'm still at a loss regarding the Evil Symbols. I don't know if I want to overlap as many Areas as I can, spread them out as much as I can, focus on overlapping L panels, whether certain characters need to be in certain arrangements in certain symbols, whether the Shoe Lab is ever worth using...it's complicated as gently caress.

For example, I decided to make the leader symbols for the Mana Pyramid and the Training Grounds overlap, so that the unit that fucks up the most enemies manages to distribute as much extra Mana and EXP as possible. That seems like a sensible setup, but I can't quite figure anything out for the other symbols. I also don't know how you're supposed to get everyone where you want them AND have them be next to people they commonly fight against...

Any tips in this regard? Does the size of your army/number of deputies matter? More people = more areas filled? Is it ever helpful to have a large amount of units, anyway? Cause I've had a lot more success with a smaller group, just as I expected. But I also want to unlock all of the class intro movies cause they're funny :downs:

Edit: Oh yeah, and does the square you're on ever matter? With how they match up to story maps and everything? Cause they don't seem to do anything outside of Rosen Queen.

As I remember, the leader positions for those don't actually work that way. All characters in an evil symbol's area receive the same benefit, so the leader will get mana from the mana pyramid if one of the subordinates kills something. Rather, the leader of an evil symbol gets an additional amount of stats from each of their subordinates.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Speaking of, its now the 29th and there appears to be no digital release for Disgaea 4, and none of my local stores are carrying PS Vita games/Disgaea 4. :argh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Conot posted:

Speaking of, its now the 29th and there appears to be no digital release for Disgaea 4, and none of my local stores are carrying PS Vita games/Disgaea 4. :argh:

Gamestop here has nothin'. Nothing on PSN. Apparently the store doesn't usually update til 4GMT, which is in five minutes so we'll see I guess?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Sir Gladu posted:

I'm playing it on emulator right now and having a lot of fun with it. The story is ok, the unique characters are pretty cool and it has the best item world music ever. It's not quite as good as 4 but a lot better than 3.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Gamestop here has nothin'. Nothing on PSN. Apparently the store doesn't usually update til 4GMT, which is in five minutes so we'll see I guess?

Well poo poo. This is coming out here digitally right?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
It is coming out on PSN in Europe that much of I am sure since I asked NISA customer service about it about a month earlier. It might not come out today seeing as PSN store only updates on wendsdays. Actually there was a releases list for last wendsday on PSN blog, and since neither Disgaea 4 or some other game I don't remember weren't in there people started asking about it in comments. Then some sony mod/rep/whatever responded that both are coming out "in October" :v: Let's hope he was full of poo poo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well poo poo. I'm just going to rewind my brain to last week and wait for amazon then :D

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Out of nostalgia I started re-playing through Makai Kingdom and man, I miss the time when NIS actually tried new stuff instead of jumping pumping out safe mainline games and stupid handheld ports of safe mainline games. Nothing like riding into battle with a silly rear end weapon selection consisting of giant magnets, fishing poles and syringes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Heavy neutrino posted:

Out of nostalgia I started re-playing through Makai Kingdom and man, I miss the time when NIS actually tried new stuff instead of jumping pumping out safe mainline games and stupid handheld ports of safe mainline games. Nothing like riding into battle with a silly rear end weapon selection consisting of giant magnets, fishing poles and syringes.

And you didn't bring screenshots? :(

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

It's better to focus on beefing up a small group than trying to keep everybody the same level. Once you have at least one character (probably Val) who is a lot stronger than the others in the main group, you can have him use tower attacks with a weaker character to share experience and help them catch up. Also you can use the Evil Symbols to share mana and exp. It's nice just for unlocking the top tiers of classes you don't really feel like using. In every Disgaea game I make at least one of every character class but only focus on a handful of them.

Rosen Queen is the only evil symbol where location matters. It's been a while since I played 4 but I believe you have to finish the main story and put it on one of those final episode squares in order to get the best possible items from the shop.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Stella and Rutile seem reaaaaally good in A Promise Revisited. Stella's evility in particular seems pretty bananas.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I kinda liked ZHP for that reason. It was interesting, even if it was grindy as gently caress. Sad to see that NIS hasn't been doing much recently aside from Disgaea.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CaptainWinky posted:

It's better to focus on beefing up a small group than trying to keep everybody the same level. Once you have at least one character (probably Val) who is a lot stronger than the others in the main group, you can have him use tower attacks with a weaker character to share experience and help them catch up. Also you can use the Evil Symbols to share mana and exp. It's nice just for unlocking the top tiers of classes you don't really feel like using. In every Disgaea game I make at least one of every character class but only focus on a handful of them.

Rosen Queen is the only evil symbol where location matters. It's been a while since I played 4 but I believe you have to finish the main story and put it on one of those final episode squares in order to get the best possible items from the shop.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna make enough to unlock all the classes, then send the lower ones to the support group while focusing on my core group and the uniques. I just wanna unlock everything man :saddowns:

And do the dark areas ever get filled out? I noticed there's this little L-shaped patch way in the corner, and I'm wondering what the hell's up with that. (Actually, now that I think about it...that's probably Mt. Ordeal, isn't it?)

King of Solomon posted:

I found out about the Android the hard way - I started an NG+ without realizing that's what the NPC did. I wasn't done :( thank god for saves.

Is there an NPC/help section that details what opens up in the post-game? I noticed some Fuuka/Desco stuff, and something about time travel?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stuff in the post game of the vita version

1: All the DLC characters should appear in "help wanted!" sections (and the ship parts from the DLC under it)
2: The flashback episode should appear on the main menu (Just one chapter with 4-5 levels, while playing keep in mind your in control of tyrant val even though he's a yellow unit. Maps are based on that and if you don't use him you'll get wiped easy on the last map)
3: Fuka and Desco show is 16 levels (4 chapters) and it's own story
4: Do the Time Leap is the brand new vita exclusive story that is also 16 levels (4 chapters long)
5: Got the land of Carnage ahead of you
6: Pirate Tourney thing that gives you a character
7: Find Prinny Kurtis 4 times in the item world (random green prinny with FIERCE EYES)
8: Once you have Kurtis, Petta and all the post game characters (via bills and DLC) the Nether Battle Tourney should open up which nets you another character
9: If your nuts enough got Tyrant Overlord Baal to look forward to too

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I'm probably gonna make enough to unlock all the classes, then send the lower ones to the support group while focusing on my core group and the uniques. I just wanna unlock everything man :saddowns:

And do the dark areas ever get filled out? I noticed there's this little L-shaped patch way in the corner, and I'm wondering what the hell's up with that. (Actually, now that I think about it...that's probably Mt. Ordeal, isn't it?)
Yes it is. Mt. Ordeal 4 is a great leveling map in the game, so once you get strong enough to handle it you can start really getting things done. Using a fused Desco or a humanoid unit with Big Bang you can take out most of the enemies in the first turn. Use your Evil Symbols so that Desco or your Big Bang character can share some of that sweet sweet exp and mana with the scrubs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CaptainWinky posted:

Yes it is. Mt. Ordeal 4 is a great leveling map in the game, so once you get strong enough to handle it you can start really getting things done. Using a fused Desco or a humanoid unit with Big Bang you can take out most of the enemies in the first turn. Use your Evil Symbols so that Desco or your Big Bang character can share some of that sweet sweet exp and mana with the scrubs.

That's how I got tier 6 of every humanoid class in like two hours.

I don't even have statisticians yet. And I haven't killed Overlord Zetta yet.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

So when, precisely, IS the best time to do NG+? For some reason, I thought I remembered somebody recommending you get straight to it right after you finish the main story for the first time and then do all the other post-game content after you beat it the second time around.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dis posted:

So when, precisely, IS the best time to do NG+? For some reason, I thought I remembered somebody recommending you get straight to it right after you finish the main story for the first time and then do all the other post-game content after you beat it the second time around.

Do it right away. Everything you do gets relocked for the most part so you don't want to go around unlocking everything only to have to do it a second time to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do it right away. Everything you do gets relocked for the most part so you don't want to go around unlocking everything only to have to do it a second time to.

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that was likely the case but, you know, post-game content is fun so I might have considered diving in right away if it didn't really matter.

burial fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread