Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I was just reminded that this exists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

LogisticEarth posted:

Internet and transportation infrastructure aren't "free" though, like land. They need to be produced and maintained. As I understand it, the basic justification for the Georgist/geolibertarian land tax is that the users of land haven't really "earned" the right to property ownership by creating it. Land is different than capital in that it pre-existed humanity, and is therefore commonly owned. Internet infrastructure is totally different. Really the whole idea of "internet as a basic right" is one of the most egregious forms of "universal right" creep. Yes it's a very powerful tool, but so are any number of other forms of capital. It's also fairly cheap and the information is infinitely reproducible.

Presumably a 'right to the internet' would emerge from a more general 'right' to be able to access and participate in the major cultural and economic institutions of our society.

I'd agree that this isn't a 'basic right' in the way that water or healthcare might be, but I also think that as society gets richer it's inevitable that our sense of what each individual is fundamentally entitled to will expand accordingly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I would note that in Finland where there is a "right" to internet access; it turns out to actually only be a right to be able pay no more than certain amount per month for a 1 megabit each way link, which is allowed to be provided over satellite. Most internet users will be aware that such speeds and satellite latency effectively still locks you out of a lot of the stuff the internet has to offer.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SyHopeful posted:

Still the best cartoon about libertarianism.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Still the best cartoon about libertarianism.

Close, but not quite:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SyHopeful posted:

:smugdog:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would note that in Finland where there is a "right" to internet access; it turns out to actually only be a right to be able pay no more than certain amount per month for a 1 megabit each way link, which is allowed to be provided over satellite. Most internet users will be aware that such speeds and satellite latency effectively still locks you out of a lot of the stuff the internet has to offer.

The speed minimum is about to be raised ten-fold and the country is covered in 3g almost everywhere, so need for satellite is moot.
You can stand in the wilderness and enjoy movies. Actually tested.

And when 3g modems are 9 euros a month with no additional service fees, it is not unfair to talk about universal access, considering that the health care system has a whopping 11 euro fee at the point of service.

And 3g that gives like 7mbps, not some lovely as american 3g of 1mbps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vahakyla posted:

The speed minimum is about to be raised ten-fold and the country is covered in 3g almost everywhere, so need for satellite is moot.
You can stand in the wilderness and enjoy movies. Actually tested.

And when 3g modems are 9 euros a month with no additional service fees, it is not unfair to talk about universal access, considering that the health care system has a whopping 11 euro fee at the point of service.

And 3g that gives like 7mbps, not some lovely as american 3g of 1mbps.

America's been covered in 3g for a good 5 years now, and no not just 1 mbps. That said 3G is still 15 year old technology so noone should be bragging about 99.9% coverage with it these days. Not to mention 9 euros per month is significantly more expensive than the free cell phone plans for the poor available in America, and the subsidized data plans for same. Anyway, this is why Finland's purported right isn't much in the way of providing a right other than a right to potentially purchase a service.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

America's been covered in 3g for a good 5 years now, and no not just 1 mbps. That said 3G is still 15 year old technology so noone should be bragging about 99.9% coverage with it these days. Not to mention 9 euros per month is significantly more expensive than the free cell phone plans for the poor available in America, and the subsidized data plans for same. Anyway, this is why Finland's purported right isn't much in the way of providing a right other than a right to potentially purchase a service.

There are major service gaps in small rural towns such as Charleston, Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlotte.

And the speeds are lackluster and actually right now, I am getting around .6mbps in downtown Charleston with an iPhone 5S.

I have actually also experienced the fast 3G in the legit wilderness in Finland, so no, it is not an equal thing. America has its intenternet hosed up.

And if you really can't afford it, the State Insurance Institution will help with that, as it helps with food, utilities, rent and other costs if you can't afford.

It is in no way comparable to have to pay outrageous prices for shoddy connection in select places INSIDE major cities in contrast to consistent high speed low price connections that will be provided to you if you can't afford about 12usd a month.

It is a practical and effectively enforced right much more than any bullshit right in the US.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 29, 2014

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

There are tons of places in the US with absolutely zero cell service, let alone data. This isn't just a black hole for one carrier, but with my Sprint and my girlfriend's AT&T and a friend's Verizon. Places throughout multiple states in multiple regions where you can't even get a roaming signal. Places where people live.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vahakyla posted:

There are major service gaps in small rural towns such as Charleston, Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlotte.

On any single carrier, yes. Across all carriers, no.

zamin posted:

There are tons of places in the US with absolutely zero cell service, let alone data. This isn't just a black hole for one carrier, but with my Sprint and my girlfriend's AT&T and a friend's Verizon. Places throughout multiple states in multiple regions where you can't even get a roaming signal. Places where people live.

Those places have regional carriers that cover them. Many of these carriers have extremely specific coverage areas and partner with a real carrier for any use outside of their specific area.

The largest group of people with no cell phone coverage at all are the people in federally-enforced radio quiet zones, where providing broadcasting of any sort is illegal.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This just in. Despite me failing to watch a youtube video from 3g inside a metropolitan area or getting an actual cable internet that offers bearable speeds in downtown Charleston, internet connection in America is actually awesome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vahakyla posted:

This just in. Despite me failing to watch a youtube video from 3g inside a metropolitan area or getting an actual cable internet that offers bearable speeds in downtown Charleston, internet connection in America is actually awesome.

The fact that you chose a lovely cell phone carrier for your area does not mean it's impossible to get 3g service in your area. And "bearable speeds" is super vague too.

The point you can't comprehend, apparently, is that according to the Finnish standard of "right to internet" you already possess it, since it's possible for you to buy access to it in your location.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

The fact that you chose a lovely cell phone carrier for your area does not mean it's impossible to get 3g service in your area. And "bearable speeds" is super vague too.

The point you can't comprehend, apparently, is that according to the Finnish standard of "right to internet" you already possess it, since it's possible for you to buy access to it in your location.

Except the Finnish government has a long tradition of enforcing laws to their spirit, not to their letter.

So, I have the right to find an employer who does not abuse in America. And i can try, despite the ridiculousness of that sentiment.

The Finnish government will enforce and ensure that the employer does not abuse me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vahakyla posted:

Except the Finnish government has a long tradition of enforcing laws to their spirit, not to their letter.

Yes. And the current Finnish right to internet law would consider all people in Charleston, SC to have access under the current law.

What don't you get here? The point is that it's a very weak "rights" law. The Finnish government doesn't care who provides the 1/1 service, just that one provider does for every point in the country - and the existence of satellite internet means it's provided all over. They also won't care who provides the purported increase to 10/10 - again, satellites can already do that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes. And the current Finnish right to internet law would consider all people in Charleston, SC to have access under the current law.

What don't you get here? The point is that it's a very weak "rights" law. The Finnish government doesn't care who provides the 1/1 service, just that one provider does for every point in the country - and the existence of satellite internet means it's provided all over. They also won't care who provides the purported increase to 10/10 - again, satellites can already do that.

It wouldn't. Charleston can't manage 1mbps and Finland is about to be covered in cheap 10/10 and 100/100 in cities.

Satellite connection has failed the requirements in many places, which has led to the practical coverage of 3g in the middle of nowhere.

The finnish regulation of internet allows for requirements to build coverage in financially unfeasible areas due to the profitability of other areas.

There are cases of enforcing carriers to fix coverage caps and ensuring that the service to every residence is consistent, cheap and reliable.

The blind spots absolutely would not fly, as evinced by ordering Sonera to add more towers in Espoo, to fix the gaps that manifested over certain neighborhoods.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 29, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vahakyla posted:

It wouldn't. Charleston can't manage 1mbps and Finland is about to be covered in cheap 10/10 and 100/100 in cities.

There are cases of enforcing carriers to fix coverage caps and ensuring that the service to every residence is consistent, cheap and reliable.

The blind spots absolutely would not fly, as evinced by ordering Sonera to add more towers in Espoo, to fix the gaps that manifested over certain neighborhoods.

Charleston absolutely can manage 1 megabit. There is that service level available all throughout the city and the suburbs and even the exurbs. It does not matter that YOUR provider provides poo poo service, there exists at least one provider that can do it in every inhabited portion of the city and area, and so under the Finnish law the "right" is secure.

Finland is not enforcing any single carriers in particular to fix coverage gaps, providers are free to not cover anyone they wish. Providers are also free to sell slower than 1 or in the future 10 megabit service. There simply has to be one provider available that does provide the service. A single provider, that's all.

Ps you still haven't mentioned what carrier you're on in Charleston.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Charleston absolutely can manage 1 megabit. There is that service level available all throughout the city and the suburbs and even the exurbs. It does not matter that YOUR provider provides poo poo service, there exists at least one provider that can do it in every inhabited portion of the city and area, and so under the Finnish law the "right" is secure.

Finland is not enforcing any single carriers in particular to fix coverage gaps, providers are free to not cover anyone they wish. Providers are also free to sell slower than 1 or in the future 10 megabit service. There simply has to be one provider available that does provide the service. A single provider, that's all.

Ps you still haven't mentioned what carrier you're on in Charleston.

The communication ministry can practically order any of the largest carries to extend the coverage if a gap manifests and no one volunteers to fix it.

You can argue what the letter of the law actually is, when in practice Finland consistently and affordably enjoys amazing internet without gaps due to the government regulation, ensuring that no coverage gaps exist and in occasions of the rare downtime, reimbursement is swift. Besides that, he actual carrier matters less since they seamlessly roam mobile data from competing carrriers, due to regulation.

The internet in the United States does not achieve this.
My neighborhood has only one option, as does most of Charleston.
Comcast does not offer more than 30mbps to most places, they have horrendous downtime of weekly cuts, do not reimburse for average downtime, charge extensive fees, mandate a data cap of 300gb, fall below their stated speeds to the occasional half a loving megabit per second in a residential cable neighborhood.

All the while a sprint phone and AT&T workphone can't play a youtube video from inside a metropolitan area.

Yes, these things are equal.

By the way, a lot of housing provides free 10/10 internet in finland, too

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 29, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vahakyla posted:

The communication ministry can practically order any of the largest carries to extend the coverage if a gap manifests and no one volunteers to fix it.

But it can't order all of the providers, and you'd have to switch providers to the one who did get ordered if you want any service in an area where the other don't serve. Now tell me how that's different from Charleston, where all inhabited areas have cell service from at least one carrier?

Eg if Sonera, the former government monopoly company, is ordered to provide service to some random chunk of Oulu, any other carrier may still not work. Same as whatever carrier you use in Charleston sucking, if you switched you'd have no problem.

Vahakyla posted:

Comcast does not offer more than 30mbps to most places

30 is larger than 10, your complaint is destroyed.

Vahakyla posted:

The internet in the United States does not achieve this.

The mean ol' US only provides 4 megabit / 1 megabit non-satellite internet service to 99% of the population. How terrible. Oh wait, we don't have a weak rear end 1/1 including satellite law so that's irrelevant, as Finland considers satellite service to suffice for "right to internet", and if you include satellite you can get at least 10 megabit down everywhere in the US.

Vahakyla posted:

All the while a sprint phone and AT&T workphone can't play a youtube video from inside a metropolitan area.

I bet Verizon, or T-Mobile, or US Cellular or any of the regional south providers could though! And that means your "metropolitan area" is covered as well as Helsinki, as far as Finnish "right to internet" laws are concerned.

Edit: Since you still aren't getting it, if America introduced a law that said everywhere had to get 1 megabit/1 megabit service accessible, no upgrades would be needed. If America introduced a law that said every area had to have 10 megabit/10 megabit services accessible there would only need to be upgrades in a vanishingly small section of the country, for the most part northern parts of Alaska where the conventional high-bandwidth satellite constellations aren't accessible due to latitude.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 29, 2014

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 12, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Fansy posted:

Did you guys know that physicists are evil, and should instead be engineers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mxDbgtlvg

Where does anyone even begin...

This is why it's great that we have a government that will fund the sciences and scientific research because a lot of it is just so difficult to get money for from a free-market system, and yet, a lot of it ends up being incredibly useful. Sure, there might not be any direct market gains from figuring out the workings of the big bang, but 20 years from now, that science may be driving the science that makes your car use less gasoline or something.

It's like he can't understand the value of research or knowledge. "Well, the market doesn't want it, so it must be worthless." Seriously, these guys want to go back to the loving stone age.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exUMuE4QRD4
Joe Rogan says "if you listen to him, you're an idiot."

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 30, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Cemetry Gator posted:

This is why it's great that we have a government that will fund the sciences and scientific research because a lot of it is just so difficult to get money for from a free-market system, and yet, a lot of it ends up being incredibly useful. Sure, there might not be any direct market gains from figuring out the workings of the big bang, but 20 years from now, that science may be driving the science that makes your car use less gasoline or something.

It's like he can't understand the value of research or knowledge. "Well, the market doesn't want it, so it must be worthless." Seriously, these guys want to go back to the loving stone age.

Not defending the Molyneux video, but part of the issue with funding research that might make your car use less gasoline 20 years from now is that...it might lead to a marginal increase in efficiency 20 years from now, maybe. The argument generally is that pushing the bleeding edge of technology further and further from the "normal" marketplace leads to a bunch of discoveries that, while enlightening to a small minority, only reaches usefullness to the larger population decades after it's been discovered. At the same time it fosters a disconnect from practical science, and I think in parts leads to the "egghead" perception of science as a bunch of whiz-bang uselessness.

Like, I had a conversation with a doctor friend about the state of medical care in the US including patents, and the cost of medical research. His initial position was that medical patents were absolutely necessary because without them new methods and medicines would be developed at a much slower rate, due to cost. My counterpoint was that the real problem with healthcare at the moment wasn't necessarily a lack of good medicines or methods, but exorbitant costs and limited access to care. Would we be better off with a system that was less "cutting edge" but far more accessible and egalitarian by cutting out patents?

This is not to say that projects like the LHC are the cause of all social ills and inequality. That's obviously absurd. But it does make me consider if the resources weren't better spent on something more immediately practical. Even manned space flight is at least more "real" to most people, and could potentially lead to much more tangible practical applications like orbital solar, asteroid mining, or the whole "new frontier" of colonization. I remember being fascinated by new physics, but I have been oddly disinterested in the whole LHC, Higgs Boson story, and theoretical physics in general. And yes I know things like quantum theory allows transistors, lasers, and everything to work. However, if we were at a point where theoretical physics is more in line with the "rest of technology", practical applications can be prototyped and tested without having to invest tens of billions of dollars and brain power into giant capital science projects. Or the capital experiments would be less costly to build.

For example, some organizations throw around the number that hunger could be eliminated with $100 billion or something in that range. Would getting 1/10th the way to that goal be worth postponing the discoveries of the LHC for a few decades? How much extra technology, production, and culture would we get by freeing a good chunk of the world's population from poverty?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LogisticEarth posted:

Not defending the Molyneux video, but part of the issue with funding research that might make your car use less gasoline 20 years from now is that...it might lead to a marginal increase in efficiency 20 years from now, maybe. The argument generally is that pushing the bleeding edge of technology further and further from the "normal" marketplace leads to a bunch of discoveries that, while enlightening to a small minority, only reaches usefullness to the larger population decades after it's been discovered. At the same time it fosters a disconnect from practical science, and I think in parts leads to the "egghead" perception of science as a bunch of whiz-bang uselessness.

Like, I had a conversation with a doctor friend about the state of medical care in the US including patents, and the cost of medical research. His initial position was that medical patents were absolutely necessary because without them new methods and medicines would be developed at a much slower rate, due to cost. My counterpoint was that the real problem with healthcare at the moment wasn't necessarily a lack of good medicines or methods, but exorbitant costs and limited access to care. Would we be better off with a system that was less "cutting edge" but far more accessible and egalitarian by cutting out patents?

This is not to say that projects like the LHC are the cause of all social ills and inequality. That's obviously absurd. But it does make me consider if the resources weren't better spent on something more immediately practical. Even manned space flight is at least more "real" to most people, and could potentially lead to much more tangible practical applications like orbital solar, asteroid mining, or the whole "new frontier" of colonization. I remember being fascinated by new physics, but I have been oddly disinterested in the whole LHC, Higgs Boson story, and theoretical physics in general. And yes I know things like quantum theory allows transistors, lasers, and everything to work. However, if we were at a point where theoretical physics is more in line with the "rest of technology", practical applications can be prototyped and tested without having to invest tens of billions of dollars and brain power into giant capital science projects. Or the capital experiments would be less costly to build.

For example, some organizations throw around the number that hunger could be eliminated with $100 billion or something in that range. Would getting 1/10th the way to that goal be worth postponing the discoveries of the LHC for a few decades? How much extra technology, production, and culture would we get by freeing a good chunk of the world's population from poverty?

That's not how it works, though. Technological advancement isn't like in Civilization or other 4X games. You don't just pour money into the right tech tree and get advancement after a known time. Most important discoveries are made whilst looking for something entirely different. You simply cannot plan for these things directly.

What you can do is create a good environment for these things to be recognized and then developed. That means pouring money into basic research, and having alert technological transfer departments ready to facilitate product development. But this whole "let's put $10million into cancer research" nonsense doesn't lead to better cancer research. Instead it rewards scientists who can find the most convincing spiel to connect what they wanted to do anyway with cancer, and there's no evidence that this way of doing things has actually made it easier to cure cancer. And that is true for most fields.

As for your specific example of manned space flights, quite a bit of money has gone into it, and it turns out that space is much more dangerous and hard to deal with than we thought. "Let's develop a sustainable biosphere" is just not a problem you can throw money at. Maybe basic ecological research or somebody studying a remote region of the Andes will find a few silver bullets that will lead to that advance that can allow for sustainable human living in microgravity. Who knows? What will definitely not work is saying "okay, we want biosphere in 5 years, how much money do you need?" If it's easy to predict how long it will take or whether it is possible at all, it just isn't research.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's not how it works, though. Technological advancement isn't like in Civilization or other 4X games. You don't just pour money into the right tech tree and get advancement after a known time. Most important discoveries are made whilst looking for something entirely different. You simply cannot plan for these things directly.

What you can do is create a good environment for these things to be recognized and then developed. That means pouring money into basic research, and having alert technological transfer departments ready to facilitate product development. But this whole "let's put $10million into cancer research" nonsense doesn't lead to better cancer research. Instead it rewards scientists who can find the most convincing spiel to connect what they wanted to do anyway with cancer, and there's no evidence that this way of doing things has actually made it easier to cure cancer. And that is true for most fields.

I fully understand you just don't dump money into a field and expect it to pump out goodies. But that was part of my point, discoveries are often unplanned and based on a huge number of other factors coming together. I agree that it's important to create a good environment for things to be recognized and developed, but market processes are a big part of this. If you have public choice and political forces dictate where the resources are going, then you're far more likely to end up with the "put $10 million on cancer" because that cause is sexy and high profile, but the extra money might not necessarily able to be speed up the process of being brought to market.

quote:

As for your specific example of manned space flights, quite a bit of money has gone into it, and it turns out that space is much more dangerous and hard to deal with than we thought. "Let's develop a sustainable biosphere" is just not a problem you can throw money at. Maybe basic ecological research or somebody studying a remote region of the Andes will find a few silver bullets that will lead to that advance that can allow for sustainable human living in microgravity. Who knows? What will definitely not work is saying "okay, we want biosphere in 5 years, how much money do you need?" If it's easy to predict how long it will take or whether it is possible at all, it just isn't research.

Again, this is totally my point. The reason I used space flight as an example is because it's much more "real" to people. It may not be the right example, but there are many others. Theoretically there is an "optimal" level basic research, where we are spending the right amount of resources on fields that are likely to produce usable results in the relative near future. On the other hand, if we're spending too much on basic research, or the research was directed to attractive but economically infeasible fields, this would lead to a society where we have a lot of neat advanced technologies and theory that is only affordable to a rich elite, because the rest of the capital structure hasn't caught up and is constantly lagging the "artificially" advanced edge of knowledge.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LogisticEarth posted:

I fully understand you just don't dump money into a field and expect it to pump out goodies. But that was part of my point, discoveries are often unplanned and based on a huge number of other factors coming together. I agree that it's important to create a good environment for things to be recognized and developed, but market processes are a big part of this. If you have public choice and political forces dictate where the resources are going, then you're far more likely to end up with the "put $10 million on cancer" because that cause is sexy and high profile, but the extra money might not necessarily able to be speed up the process of being brought to market.

I really have no idea why you think the market would do any better. If anything there is less public funding and more market money going into science today, and it just creates the exact problems of which you speak.

quote:

Again, this is totally my point. The reason I used space flight as an example is because it's much more "real" to people. It may not be the right example, but there are many others. Theoretically there is an "optimal" level basic research, where we are spending the right amount of resources on fields that are likely to produce usable results in the relative near future. On the other hand, if we're spending too much on basic research, or the research was directed to attractive but economically infeasible fields, this would lead to a society where we have a lot of neat advanced technologies and theory that is only affordable to a rich elite, because the rest of the capital structure hasn't caught up and is constantly lagging the "artificially" advanced edge of knowledge.

Well, I mean, again, this is in the face of how this actually has worked in the past, where for years public money went to basic rather than sexy research, without a lot of interaction with the market other than when a real product could be made out of it, as opposed to now where everything goes to sexy research and a significant amount of the advances we have is yet another app to help you exercise.

Do you even have an historical example of any country where too much money was spent on basic research? Social and market forces always fly in the face of that, it requires foresight and discipline to keep that in place.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Out of curiosity, how thoroughly hosed would pure mathematics guys be in your ideal society?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Where does anyone even begin...

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exUMuE4QRD4
Joe Rogan says "if you listen to him, you're an idiot."

The irony of this is that Joe Rogan has had Molyneux on his podcast multiple times. I am happy to find out that Rogan has realized that Stefan is an idiot however, since I always kinda liked Joe Rogan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LogisticEarth posted:

The argument generally is that pushing the bleeding edge of technology further and further from the "normal" marketplace leads to a bunch of discoveries that, while enlightening to a small minority, only reaches usefullness to the larger population decades after it's been discovered. At the same time it fosters a disconnect from practical science, and I think in parts leads to the "egghead" perception of science as a bunch of whiz-bang uselessness.
I agree that basic science research contributes to the perception that science involves fundamental principles and is difficult

quote:

I'm not a policy expert but from what I know, there is not a tradeoff going on between quality of care, advancement of research, and access to good care. What's happening is that hospitals and universities want revenue, revenue, revenue at the cost of all else and research suffers for it. I don't think patents are a particularly big part of the picture.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree that basic science research contributes to the perception that science involves fundamental principles and is difficult

I think it's more that basic science researchers have not been given sufficient incentives to be more accessible to the public which is funding them. The Good Years of Vannevar Bush's The Endless Frontier created a few generations of basic scientists who scoff at the need to engage the public, and a Carl Sagan or Bill Nye or Niel deGrasse Tyson or a Stephen Hawking once in a generation are not sufficient. I don't think the solution is to make them answer to the market (good luck doing science on a quarterly basis!), but rather to make it clear to them what is at stake, and how they can work to change it.

Basic science is hard. I do it. It's hard and it is also hard to make it accessible. But it isn't impossible, and I think we are seeing new generations of scientists who realize how important outreach is. None of this is going to be solved "by the market", though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it's more that basic science researchers have not been given sufficient incentives to be more accessible to the public which is funding them.
Well, the institution I work for is trying to change this by trying to create connections between interested donors and researchers, so the donors can see where their money is going and why it's important. Unfortunately, that just means you're dealing with a patronage system instead of the market. Party like it's 1610, scientists.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I felt the need to respond to a couple of things here.

LogisticEarth posted:

I don't think you even have a solid understanding of the concepts at play. Theoretical physics, almost by definition, is the field that pushes the bleeding edge. As soon as you start looking at practical applications, it's not really theoretical anymore. I know it's wikipedia, but here is an example of what I mean. Electricity/electromagnetism used to be theoretical physics. 300 (or more) years ago, some guy noticed that a force was generated when a metal wire was moved close to a magnet. He presented his findings, and most people went, "Well, interesting, but what can we do with it?" His response was basically, "I dunno, but we'll figure out something." Then I have no doubt that there were a bunch of people who went, "Lol, stupid scientists and their useless research." That phenomenon is now responsible for, at a guess off the top of my head, 99% of the world's electrical power generation.

Also it's fairly hilarious to see you caution against always going for the bleeding edge, then throw up an exception for space travel because it might lead to space-mining, space-power, and space-colonies. All of which are, themselves, pretty damned bleeding edge.

LogisticEarth posted:

Market processes are not a big part of theory. You yourself have said a number of times that you don't just pump money into stuff and expect it to pump out goodies, but that is exactly what the market wants. The market's criterea for evaluating anything new is, first and foremost, can it make money? If the answer is anything other than, "Yes", the market won't invest in it. This doesn't mean that government always knows best. Governments can go way wrong. The way to prevent that is to engage with the amount of scientific knowledge out there to see if we might go wrong, not to involve the market.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, the institution I work for is trying to change this by trying to create connections between interested donors and researchers, so the donors can see where their money is going and why it's important. Unfortunately, that just means you're dealing with a patronage system instead of the market. Party like it's 1610, scientists.

Let's be honest here. Finding an excuse why your research is relevant to [enter buzzword* here] in your grant application is pretty much the contemporary age's version of "and this research will totally get you, O Illustrious and Benevolent Patron, to the Philosopher's Stone, which will heal the sick, turn base metals into gold, et cetera". Your institution is just cutting out some of the bullshit.

* Buzzwords have included cancer, nanotechnology and quantum computers.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a policy expert but from what I know, there is not a tradeoff going on between quality of care, advancement of research, and access to good care. What's happening is that hospitals and universities want revenue, revenue, revenue at the cost of all else and research suffers for it. I don't think patents are a particularly big part of the picture.

With healthcare consuming ~20% of the US economy there is pretty much a trade-off between healthcare and literally everything else. Researching, manufacturing and delivering cutting edge care is a major component of that expense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

asdf32 posted:

With healthcare consuming ~20% of the US economy there is pretty much a trade-off between healthcare and literally everything else. Researching, manufacturing and delivering cutting edge care is a major component of that expense.

I'm going to estimate that 75% of that is overpayment due to poor regulation of the for-profit pharma and insurance markets. Other countries do not provide lesser service, nor invest less in R&D, and yet manage to not gently caress this up.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to estimate that 75% of that is overpayment due to poor regulation of the for-profit pharma and insurance markets. Other countries do not provide lesser service, nor invest less in R&D, and yet manage to not gently caress this up.

The US does 50% more research than Europe despite having a smaller GDP. The US absolutely does more research than anyone else, and more by percentage of the economy too (both public and private).

75% of medical spending is around 15% of US GDP. There might be better things we could do with it, but it's not just going to waste.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

asdf32 posted:

The US does 50% more research than Europe despite having a smaller GDP. The US absolutely does more research than anyone else, and more by percentage of the economy too (both public and private).

75% of medical spending is around 15% of US GDP. There might be better things we could do with it, but it's not just going to waste.

I'm going to have to see sources and breakdowns for this.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I just checked in before going to bed but I'll respond briefly to a couple points here

Buried alive posted:

I felt the need to respond to a couple of things here.

I don't think you even have a solid understanding of the concepts at play. Theoretical physics, almost by definition, is the field that pushes the bleeding edge. As soon as you start looking at practical applications, it's not really theoretical anymore. I know it's wikipedia, but here is an example of what I mean. Electricity/electromagnetism used to be theoretical physics. 300 (or more) years ago, some guy noticed that a force was generated when a metal wire was moved close to a magnet. He presented his findings, and most people went, "Well, interesting, but what can we do with it?" His response was basically, "I dunno, but we'll figure out something." Then I have no doubt that there were a bunch of people who went, "Lol, stupid scientists and their useless research." That phenomenon is now responsible for, at a guess off the top of my head, 99% of the world's electrical power generation.

Also it's fairly hilarious to see you caution against always going for the bleeding edge, then throw up an exception for space travel because it might lead to space-mining, space-power, and space-colonies. All of which are, themselves, pretty damned bleeding edge.

Firstly, lets differentiate two of the concepts I'm talking about. Number one is the present value of basic research, number two is the public perception of the value of that research. I don't doubt the long term value of the research itself, rather that heavy state investment shouldn't be open ended, and that huge capital projects like the LHC might need to be reevaluated. The electromagnatism example you present is actually a great example. Were there any large capital projects invested in studying electromagnetism until the means and needs of society were "caught up"? Please note that I understand there's not some linear progression of technology, but small incremental improvements in both practice and theory are needed to make anything happen. Basic research is crucially important, but the need to, for lack of a better phrase, race ahead needs to be weighed against the opportunity costs for the funds involved.

Responding to the space flight example, once again, the only reason I mentioned that was it has a greater possibility of capturing the public mind. Not that it should certainly be the next big step. However, I would take issue with the claim that space operations are equivalent to the findings of the LHC when it comes to the "bleeding edge". Technology exists for many different attempts at space exploration/exploitation. If you really did dump a bunch of funds into it, I don't think we'd have a problem putting people on Mars or redirecting ore from an asteroid in 20-30 years. However, I'm not sure the same can be said for the wealth potentially generated by the knowledge of the Higgs Boson. It's been around in theory for half a century, and most "practical" applications I've read about involve pie-in-the-sky ideas about inertial dampeners and gravity drives. I mean, if we're all floating around in hover cars in 40 years I'll eat my hat. The point is that investing in large capital projects to investigate such particles is stepping WAY ahead of what we can practically use them for. This is not a few aristocrats fiddling around with magnets and wires in their study. It's billions of dollars that could be applied to any number of humanitarian or production goals.

quote:

Market processes are not a big part of theory. You yourself have said a number of times that you don't just pump money into stuff and expect it to pump out goodies, but that is exactly what the market wants. The market's criteria for evaluating anything new is, first and foremost, can it make money? If the answer is anything other than, "Yes", the market won't invest in it. This doesn't mean that government always knows best. Governments can go way wrong. The way to prevent that is to engage with the amount of scientific knowledge out there to see if we might go wrong, not to involve the market.

You've got this wrong. "The Market" isn't some kind of automaton the perfectly follows the rules of profit. People (like you and I) aren't always 100% interested in profit, so there's no reason to assume freed markets would do so. We all have various values, goals, and means. My point isn't that we should direct all research by profitability. Instead, it's that running forward with state funding allocated via political means runs a large risk of miss-allocating resources for a diminishing rate of return.

EDIT: Bonus response

Jack of Hearts posted:

Out of curiosity, how thoroughly hosed would pure mathematics guys be in your ideal society?

Probably not at all because there's no reason to assume learning, universities, or basic research would be eliminated or even starved. And for the record, I'm not really sure what my idea society would certainly look like, but it probably won't involve huge corporations or concentrated political power.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 30, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Look dude, I hear what you're saying, and I don't think you even understand what your point is supposed to be.

The reality with research is that we just don't know what's going to be useful, and often times, the groundwork for the truly groundbreaking stuff just doesn't seem to be that practical at first. But in order to really mine the potential of the LHC and all the other theoretical physics you rail against, you need to have that foundation laid in. You can't just bypass all that non-sexy stuff, otherwise, we'll mostly begin to stagnate.

It's like when you learned to speak. When you were a baby and started babbling, your parents didn't stop encouraging you to make sounds. They didn't say "Well, he's making sounds, but they're all nonsense. Clearly, this is a wasteful endeavor." No, they played with you. They let you make the sounds. Why? Because making those sounds were the formation of speech. And when you started talking, they weren't like "Well, he's not speaking in complete sentences, so he should remain mute for the rest of his life!" They let you learn.

The basic point you're missing about research is often you don't know. Take penicillin. It was just a complete loving accident. Maybe we need the stuff that we can gain from the LHC to solve those spaceflight mysteries. We just don't know. But you know what history has shown me. That every time we break ground somewhere, some one has said "Yeah, but is it really that useful?" I would have hoped by now we would have learned that the people who said that have been pretty consistently wrong.

LogisticEarth posted:

You've got this wrong. "The Market" isn't some kind of automaton the perfectly follows the rules of profit. People (like you and I) aren't always 100% interested in profit, so there's no reason to assume freed markets would do so. We all have various values, goals, and means. My point isn't that we should direct all research by profitability. Instead, it's that running forward with state funding allocated via political means runs a large risk of miss-allocating resources for a diminishing rate of return.

Except that's what the markets do - follow profit. There was a survey done where they asked business leaders would they rather take a hit the next quarter if it meant increased profitability for 20 years, and an overwhelming majority said "no." The market is short sighted. The market is all about the money you're making today. We've seen it time and time again that the people put short term profitability above long-term gains until some force makes them. Sure, individuals maybe won't. But people in general want to make gains on their money, and are going to follow the short gains. It's what we've seen time and time again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean its theoretically possible a business owner could just fund the research as a vanity project.

I am not sure you want to rely on that for this kind of stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to have to see sources and breakdowns for this.

Research spending ($ billions). The GDP percentage is my own quick calculation.

code:

Public		Private		%GDP
US		48.9		70.4		0.76
Europe		28.1		53.6		0.44
Canada		3.3		2		0.29
Asia/Oceana	19.3		42.7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_research#Funding

Healthcare as percentage of GDP (18%):

As an aside you really really need to be aware of this number in particular because it has massive implications across the political spectrum. Healthcare has literally become an economic cancer and at this level of GDP it eats away at everything else the economy might be doing both public and private. Why are wages stagnant - partially because healthcare gets deducted before wages. Why are all sorts of government programs stagnant or declining - because healthcare (medicare/medicaid) is eating the U.S. government budget despite slowly rising taxes and government spending overall.

And it's not waste (nothing is ever as simple as being "waste"), all this money is paying the salary of someone giving care to somebody.

Cemetry Gator posted:

There was a survey done where they asked business leaders would they rather take a hit the next quarter if it meant increased profitability for 20 years, and an overwhelming majority said "no." The market is short sighted.

This is trivially false regardless of whether you can provide the source. Basically every investment takes more than a quarter to pay off.

Every single new hire, restaurant remodel and product development cycle (often many years) causes a "hit" next quarter in order to get profitability over the longer term.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 30, 2014