Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
phil fish is actually really cool, i am being 100% honest here

hmmm this dude with an Andy Kaufman picture for a twitter avatar is acting SO CRAZY and TERRIBLE let me type 1000s of words about how BADLY I DISLIKE him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

phil fish is actually really cool, i am being 100% honest here

hmmm this dude with an Andy Kaufman picture for a twitter avatar is acting SO CRAZY and TERRIBLE let me type 1000s of words about how BADLY I DISLIKE him

I liked Phil Fish until I had to use a QR scanner for his game and I didnt have a phone with a QR scanner and it made me feel useless

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You missed the point

you missed the point

no she doesn't

Anyone who wants to say what Anita says is basic or obvious look at this here mother fucker right here missing the point like drat

Look at it

You could actually try to explain "How I missed the point" when literally in her latest video she says dead woman in video games are only their for male gratification, because we know how big the necrophiliac gamer market is right?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Who are these people? I had a life before this topic.

edit: Anita looked really good imo until she started reviewing games and decided she had to have corpse makeup.

Campster and PushingUpRoses are internet reviewers that both have Patreons.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Alexzandvar posted:

Thinking dead woman's bodies are at all attractive to men

it's just they all look like they're sleeping gracefully

though i can't imagine too many devs are keen on showing a woman mutilated to absolute poo poo

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Falsum posted:

Campster and PushingUpRoses are internet reviewers that both have Patreons.

lol what a bunch of babies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alexzandvar posted:

You could actually try to explain "How I missed the point" when literally in her latest video she says dead woman in video games are only their for male gratification, because we know how big the necrophiliac gamer market is right?

No, she said the women are still explicitly sexualized even when dead goddamit dont make me serious post in GBS u mother fucker

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

turnways posted:

it's just they all look like they're sleeping gracefully

though i can't imagine too many devs are keen on showing a woman mutilated to absolute poo poo

All the examples she gave the woman clearly are dead from obvious injury, but in general corpses are a major turn off for 99% of men.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
women dress sexily sometimes right? wouldn't it make sense that they died looking good at a party?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
"*really* gross" is my new trigger words. Actually when somebody describes anyhting to do with the internet as gross without meaning picture of a butthole gross i'm enraged & i call them a stupid bitch

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I bet Goatse wouldn't even phase a 12 year old these days.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, she said the women are still explicitly sexualized even when dead goddamit dont make me serious post in GBS u mother fucker

I prefer my dead women non-sexualized thank you very much.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Pretty sure you just restore the monarchy in that, don't you? You just destroy the OTHER Monarchy or some poo poo.

Why does Anita even want the Princess to abolish the monarchy at the end? It makes no sense in the larger story. It's not like the system of government was the cause of her problems, she was deposed by a (presumed) military junta, not another monarch. What would abolishing the monarchy achieve in regards to the Princesses' actual storyline? Is her fantasy medieval kingdom even capable of creating and sustaining a functioning democracy?

It may be that Anita believes that women as a social group were largely underrepresented in monarchic states, thus monarchy equals male oppression. She uses this concept of a princess abolishing the monarchy and living happily ever after as a symbol for women's rights, but in doing this she takes monarchy out of context, brushing aside the social, political, and economic circumstances that made monarchies necessary in history. She ultimately winds up twisting a part of history for her own ends in a radical discourse, much like various extremist groups have historically done through their own propaganda.

I too am gay, is what I'm saying.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Brannock posted:

let alone take a feminism/women's studies class in college

I'll spoil it for anyone that hasn't taken one of those classes.

What they do is look at magazines (you know those colorful things that sit on store displays and people stopped buying when the internet came out? those crazy things are still around) and they discover in these very important magazines a conspiracy in the lovely pictures of semi naked women used to sell skin cream and beer, or photoshopped on the covers. It will really make you think of ways to stop the oppression of those loving magazines FOR GOOD.

Now they've moved on to videogames, something as serious as magazines, I can assure you.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

define "explicit sexualization", because I would think it would be really stupid to ruin the atmosphere of say a whorehouse or a beach by making every single female dead body look they like they are just dressed like a person walking on the street. She uses more than one example of dead prostitutes, how exactly would one explain away all the dead prostitutes in a video game looking like they are just regular woman walking down the street when prostitutes by nature wear clothes to exaggerate their looks.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

Alexzandvar posted:

Gaming journalism has always been trash, gaming magazines did not pop into existence through the power of magic fairy dust, they were started by publishers and companies. The internet has made any need to go to a "news site" irrelevant because you can just go to said companies or games webpage to find out everything you need.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

straight jerkers posted:

What is gamer culture

Whatever you want it to be.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Can someone post the lyrics to cucktales? There's a few lines I don't hear.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alexzandvar posted:

define "explicit sexualization", because I would think it would be really stupid to ruin the atmosphere of say a whorehouse or a beach by making every single female dead body look they like they are just dressed like a person walking on the street. She uses more than one example of dead prostitutes, how exactly would one explain away all the dead prostitutes in a video game look like they are just regular woman walking down the street when prostitutes by nature wear clothes to exaggerate their looks.

Hmmm I dunno maybe an ad campaign where the women are all in sexualized clothing or sexualized situations while being corpses while all the men in the campaign are normally dressed and in non-sexual situations like the exact specific example she used in the video you impossible shitdrinking mother fucker

You goddamn stupid mother fucker with your loving stupid shitloving face I hope you loving die

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
mmm, yeah, all those shirtless men I killed in manhunt made me whip it out and jerk off right there

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zak2k12 posted:

Why does Anita even want the Princess to abolish the monarchy at the end? It makes no sense in the larger story. It's not like the system of government was the cause of her problems, she was deposed by a (presumed) military junta, not another monarch. What would abolishing the monarchy achieve in regards to the Princesses' actual storyline? Is her fantasy medieval kingdom even capable of creating and sustaining a functioning democracy?

It may be that Anita believes that women as a social group were largely underrepresented in monarchic states, thus monarchy equals male oppression. She uses this concept of a princess abolishing the monarchy and living happily ever after as a symbol for women's rights, but in doing this she takes monarchy out of context, brushing aside the social, political, and economic circumstances that made monarchies necessary in history. She ultimately winds up twisting a part of history for her own ends in a radical discourse, much like various extremist groups have historically done through their own propaganda.

Or she's a bad author who can't separate her own feeling about monarchies from what her character's feelings would be.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Please add this to OP

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hmmm I dunno maybe an ad campaign where the women are all in sexualized clothing or sexualized situations while being corpses while all the men in the campaign are normally dressed and in non-sexual situations like the exact specific example she used in the video you impossible shitdrinking mother fucker

You goddamn stupid mother fucker with your loving stupid shitloving face I hope you loving die

u mad as poo poo about video games

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Proteus4994 posted:

u mad as poo poo about video games

so mad

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And this right here is why I was sarcastic to you when I first replied.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Clearly all video games should be analyzed by a team of feminists, animal rights activists, black professionals and other members of the social justice community before they're cleared for release.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Zak2k12 posted:

I'll go with the simpler answer that Anita believes monarchy is wrong and the princess in her game idea is her power fantasy so of course she would abolish it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Are we talking about ad campaigns or video games? Because If you think ad campaigns are ever going to not be engineered towards appealing to the majority of the market (which is still males), your being delusional.

Anita does have some good points, to bad they are buried under a massive pile of extreme negativity and poorly laid out arguments a 1st year sociology or philosophy major could deconstruct.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

horriblePencilist posted:

Please add this to OP

I like how the background of the Vita is from a pedophile incest anime

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How would you know?

*camera slows zooms in*

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

poptart_fairy posted:

mmm, yeah, all those shirtless men I killed in manhunt made me whip it out and jerk off right there

Lol gross dude

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Thinking dead woman's bodies are at all attractive to men, or woman suffering as part of a narrative is bad even if it's necessary to help set the tone of the world the game is set in. She also tends to misrepresent the intent of her actually reasonable critics like sex positive feminists who are more concerned with woman's sexual liberation (IE have strong female characters, who cares if they are hot or not) than viewing every hot woman in a video games as an assault on woman everywhere.

But a dead body can still be sexualized. It can have attributes that we recognize as sexualized while not being attractive. Sex-positive feminism is a thing, but I believe Sarkeesians argument is the requirement for women to be sexualized to be allowed power, that is the power arrives only through sexual attractiveness, where sex-positive is about the right for people to embrace their sexuality without judgment, but not the requirement to do so for respect.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Please add this to OP

Pretty much the only video games I can think of pushing a social agenda are retarded poo poo like Bioware games or pretentious indie poo poo like Gone Home.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Alexzandvar posted:

All the examples she gave the woman clearly are dead from obvious injury, but in general corpses are a major turn off for 99% of men.

Please add this to OP

Poor fellah spent too much money on his Vita to afford anything more than a marker and notebook paper. :ohdear:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
She should totally back an Honor Harrington space game where you fight for the royal Manticorian Monarchy against the space french. She would have a treecat and beat up/hyper-murder her oppressors so she could triad marry some guy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Alexzandvar posted:

Are we talking about ad campaigns or video games? Because If you think ad campaigns are ever going to not be engineered towards appealing to the majority of the market (which is still males), your being delusional.

Anita does have some good points, to bad they are buried under a massive pile of extreme negativity and poorly laid out arguments a 1st year sociology or philosophy major could deconstruct.

you, a truly stupid fucker: hmm yes well no one thinks corpses are sexy

other person, who is reasonable and maybe even sexy a little?: the ad campaign was this 4 dudes and this 4 not dudes

you, really just bad in general: yes well have you consider they need to cater to their major market, dudes who apparently now think sexy dead women are sexy?

whoops i just hotlinked the giant bomb, i guess i am the real dumb baby today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Azraelle posted:

But a dead body can still be sexualized. It can have attributes that we recognize as sexualized while not being attractive. Sex-positive feminism is a thing, but I believe Sarkeesians argument is the requirement for women to be sexualized to be allowed power, that is the power arrives only through sexual attractiveness, where sex-positive is about the right for people to embrace their sexuality without judgment, but not the requirement to do so for respect.

This is a good post

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i didnt click any of the youtubes to either dough woman, and yes, that's why my journalism is objective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azraelle posted:

A dead body is one of the extremely few things that cannot be sexualized, because by pure human nature we dislike looking at dead people or even considering having sex with them. Sure you could say a advertisement that utilizes a female corpse in a compromising position is inappropriate, but in a video game were it's simply part of the atmosphere it's entirely appropriate. If you have zombies on a beach, some of the woman zombies are going to be in Bikini's, this is not some agenda to sexualize the dead woman, but to keep the tone consistent. It would be stupid to make every female corpse on a beach wear normal clothes or a 1 piece. It would also be equally stupid to have a dead prostitute in a whorehouse be dressed like she is going to a business meeting.

• Locked thread