Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

What about the actual 5% 12 and under? Like, what are they using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

What about the actual 5% 12 and under? Like, what are they using?

Free downloads only perhaps.

Also, those statistics are likely tied to data that Nintendo gathers during account creation. Tons of accounts are created using the demographic data of the parents even if the accounts themselves are primarily used by the kids. In fact, the data is pretty much useless for this reason. There is very little that can be accurately derived from it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
$6.75 for Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara seems like a pretty sweet deal, glad I waited on that one.

Has anyone in here played The Fall yet and can you give a brief review? Watched the trailer and it looked kind of interesting.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

katkillad2 posted:

$6.75 for Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara seems like a pretty sweet deal, glad I waited on that one.

Has anyone in here played The Fall yet and can you give a brief review? Watched the trailer and it looked kind of interesting.

I did, and I beat it in one sitting. It's a phenomenal game in my opinion, it is heavily story based and really atmospheric. The game play is pretty much a point and click adventure game with some fairly difficult puzzles, and some (easy) cover shooter segments (lasting a minute, maybe 90 seconds) to break up the monotony on occasion. The game is roughly 2-3 hours depending on how much you explore and how many tries the combat takes you. Has a real Dead Space 1 vibe. This is an episodic game, and this is only part one, parts two and three will be coming in the future, but this is a complete story arc not unlike one of the telltale episodic game episodes. As a note, I had some lock-up issues after the cutscenes, which I had to reset the console for, but the game will drop you right after the cutscene if it finishes, or right before it if it didn't (each cutscene is roughly 15-20 seconds and there are only 3 in the game). The check pointing is really well done, with a death never putting you more than a minute before where you died.

Also, How's D&D? I was thinking of picking it up now that it's on sale.

TL;DR Get The Fall, it's a great game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

numerrik posted:

It is probably the best arcade beat em up ever made, but it still has the shortcomings of an arcade beat em up in that it wants you to give it quarters and there's not THAT much depth because depth would prevent you from giving it quarters. It's still FAR deeper than any other arcade games of the time, but it's stillpretty shallow compared to other modern beat em up offerings.

Still, it's worth $7.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'm interested in Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up at launch since I'll definitely still be busy with Destiny (and MK8 and finishing up Pikmin 3). Is there any reason to pick it up sooner rather than later?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Pre-order costume DLC, but you'll almost certainly be able to buy the costumes on the E-Shop later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

numerrik posted:

You get two full arcade games that duke it out with Aliens vs. Predator as the greatest beat-'em-up that Capcom has ever created. A lot of special moves, tons of features, huge cast of creatures to beat up, and many branching paths including a really special optional superboss (which it essentially warns you, "You are literally just feeding money into this machine if you go this way").

The port is about as good as it could get where I only have extremely minor complaints that essentially come down to the default options aren't the best way to play. The game has some special modes and features locked behind achievements and the default mode is the two player, 4:3 screen with bars around the side to show your progress toward those achievements. Turn the achievement displays off, and switch to the widescreen, four-player version. Also, it defaults to Shadows Over Mysteria when you start up which is the even better sequel, but you'll probably want to start with the original Tower of Doom so you'll need to switch modes to get to it.

Basically, $6.75 is a good price for it. Get four players and see who can beat the game spending the least quarters.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Amiibos are plastic figurines that do what cloud storage could do much better plus password.

Instead of having a character in the cloud that you can update with your newest "power ups" you have an NFC powered figurine that you need to carry around with you. As if the consumer test of Box com vs USB hasn't been resolved already.

The thing to realise about Amiibos is that if they cost $20 now they will be worth at least $30 in 20 years. Especially if they suck and nobody likes them therefore they stop being produced and become another relic of Nintendo history.

That my friends is a solid as gently caress investment if you ask me.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Endorph posted:

If I wanted a Nintendo figure I'd probably just spring for one of the figmas and I don't think they're gonna be that great to play with but they certainly have more collectible appeal than a cheap piece of cardboard with a render of tom nook on it

You're talking $50+ vs ~$10 so good job I guess trying to compare the two. Skylander statues don't have much to them but they sell well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nolgthorn posted:

Amiibos are plastic figurines that do what cloud storage could do much better plus password.

Instead of having a character in the cloud that you can update with your newest "power ups" you have an NFC powered figurine that you need to carry around with you. As if the consumer test of Box com vs USB hasn't been resolved already.

The thing to realise about Amiibos is that if they cost $20 now they will be worth at least $30 in 20 years. Especially if they suck and nobody likes them therefore they stop being produced and become another relic of Nintendo history.

That my friends is a solid as gently caress investment if you ask me.

No one asked you.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Choose the color of Shy Guy and Yoshi in MK8? DLC pre-ordered.

Getting 50% more tracks for $12 is awesome since then I get more Mario Kart without having to wait for the next console.

How did Nintendo manage to do DLC well? WTF is going on?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shyfted One posted:

How did Nintendo manage to do DLC well? WTF is going on?

I couldn't be happier though. The Nintendo life is good. :cool:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Oh also apparently that Unity presentation they let it slip that indie darling Gone Home is coming to Wii U. So I guess brace yourself for another around lesbian jokes and 'it's not really a game' debates, now on Miiverse.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Oh also apparently that Unity presentation they let it slip that indie darling Gone Home is coming to Wii U. So I guess brace yourself for another around lesbian jokes and 'it's not really a game' debates, now on Miiverse.

The more important issue is does Gone Home have water and is it nice

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Help Im Alive posted:

There's rain outside and it looks pretty good? I don't think there are any bodies of water in Gone Home. :(

vvv e: Gone Home is definitely cute!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Help Im Alive posted:

Get with the times, nowadays we worry about whether it and/or the people that play it are cute.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will pretty much rebuy Gone Home for whatever because I want to give that dev money.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's faucets and puddles

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I wonder if they'll replace the fake SNES games in Sam's room with real ones :allears:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nintendo needs to get that SNES cart soap bar maker's items as a Club Nintendo 150 coin item or something.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

gay skull posted:

it is true that the Amiibos do work with the Gamepad out of the box which is nice, but that still requires a Wii U.

Why would you have a gamepad and not a Wii U? Or is the complaint only the fact that it doesn't work for 3DS? I don't remember it being marketed for 3DS (though I haven't really paid attention to amiibo) so I don't get that complaint either. There's several issues one can have with it, but I don't get "you have to have a Wii U" being one of them.

I'd think if they are $10, there's no huge issue with getting an official "figurine" of your favorite character to screw around in whatever games they put amiibo stuff into (even if it ends up only being 2-3 games..... you still get a little figure to do.... figure stuff with)

edit:

TVs Ian posted:

They showed it in the Amiibo video, it's some kind of wirelessly connecting thingy from the one picture they showed.
Oh. :what:

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 29, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Gone Home is a good game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Amiibos will work on 3DS too, they're gonna release a little portal thing that syncs to 3DS via the IR port.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm probably going to buy every Amiibo because I love silly little figures and decorations and they all look well made and detailed.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If the Duck Hunt Amiibo isn't laughing I'm going to be SO MAD.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm probably going to buy every Amiibo because I love silly little figures and decorations and they all look well made and detailed.

They had me at collectible figure.

I mean Skylanders and Disney Infinity did this too but I don't care about a bunch of Generic Monster designs (with hosed Spyro) and a lot of the Disney ones are sort of bad choices and the ones that are good I don't feel justified in spending $15 for one if I have no game for it.

I like the Nintendo ones though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another $200 console bundle:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...cid=scsho838711

White 8GB console with Skylanders Swap Force, Nintendo Land, Sing Party, two USB mics and a gamepad screen protector. Sing Party sucks but you might be able to flip it for, like, $5.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So do we know if Gone Home is just a straight port, or are they looking at doing stuff with the gamepad with it.

From what very little I know about the game, i'm pretty sure it's first person, and adding in gyro controls for the gamepad would be potentially interesting.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Suaimhneas posted:

I wonder if they'll replace the fake SNES games in Sam's room with real ones :allears:

Or do a physical release with that sweet SNES style boxart. :getin:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Club Nintendo is offering me a Nintendoland Post Play Survey even though I don't own nor have ever played the game. I assume they got screwed up on what my Wii U pack game was. Would it be a breach of Nintendo ethics for me to complete this survey for free coins?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
A 10 coin survey is good for like 1/20 of a virtual console game, you're not exactly committing some grand heist there.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

13/f/cali posted:

A 10 coin survey is good for like 1/20 of a virtual console game, you're not exactly committing some grand heist there.

This is a 50 coin survey man! That's like a quarter of an Excitebike.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Did you buy a refurbished Wii U? I have that survey in my dashboard too so maybe it's normal?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U news from the latest Direct/PR:

-There's a Club Nintendo Smash promotion for all regions that lets you claim a two-disc Smash 4 soundtrack if you register both the 3DS and Wii U versions

-The first 12 Amiibos are up for preorder in NA, suggested price $12.99 each: Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

-NA is getting two new $299 Wii U 32GB bundles: a Mario 3D World/Nintendo Land bundle, and a Walmart-exclusive Mario Kart/Nintendo Land bundle; both contain physical games, not downloads.

-Art Academy is stills scheduled for 2014 in NA, not mentioned for PAL-land.

-Lots of release windows that I won't post because they're boring and probably not even accurate (aside from all the indie delays)

EDIT: Amiibo packaging

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 29, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

$13 for Amiibos is actually not as bad as I was expecting, but I'm not super enthused by that initial lineup. I hope it doesn't take them ages to roll out the other playable Smash cast, especially Pit and Palutena.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Gonna buy the exact amount of Samus figures that spells out "Give me another Metroid game you fucks" in binary.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I have no real interest in the Amiibos, but I will happily buy one of Shulk if they make it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I don't plan on buying any, but how tall are the Amiibos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

I don't plan on buying any, but how tall are the Amiibos?

Kirby is life sized, the rest are to scale with Kirby.

• Locked thread