Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Most good story telling upsets people, life isn't pretty, nice, happy and unoffensive. A game with whorehouses should absolutely have woman in said whorehouses look like whores, because it would be dumb not to.

The first point implies that you find that the exemplified games to have good story and tone. But I disagree in the sense that there is simply an element of shock, a cheap effect to give a gut reaction, but empty of message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Baller Time posted:

I wanna see all the Zoe + 5 guys households people will make when The Sims 4 comes out in a few weeks

The Sims 4: Cucking Pals Expansion

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Azraelle posted:

This is simply not true, it is a good gut instinct to be repulsed by sexualized bodies, but the depiction of bodies are often undistinguishable from non-moving characters.
The choice of setting is not irrelevant to the discussion here. The choice of setting and tone is explicitly stated as a part of the trope. So the criticism is of the necessity of violence and level of violence to set tone. Essentially the question of good storytelling.

I debated you in earnest before but now I just don't think I can take you seriously, on the basis that you're kind of just quibbling on nonsense.

Regarding power fantasies and poo poo with women, I just wanna say the majority of women who I have had sex with sure as hell liked it when they got slammed super hard and had their titties smacked a little, so I don't know what to tell ya.

Except, y'know. Smoke trees. Make money. Slam bitches.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
What crazy thing happened today? You fuckers posted 25 pages, there must have been something.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I was thinking, why don't sexist MRA types just be gay? Like, if you hate women so much then why not just have sex with men instead of having to put up with women who you hate?

This is called being greek gay.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Maxwell Adams posted:

What crazy thing happened today? You fuckers posted 25 pages, there must have been something.

The dude who played Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket joined the battle against the Quinnspiracy. Aside from that, not much. The thread's mostly about making GBS threads on all the morons making up the various involved factions so there doesn't need to be any developments for people to make shitposts.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
did someone actually say bioware games were diverse? yeah, I'd definitely call an entire cast with daddy issues in Mass Effect diverse. or the other time where your party was composed entirely of unlikable extremist imbeciles in Dragon Age 2? that was some good diversity.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
The last 10 pages are full of

"Anita sucks"
"No you suck"

Making it a fantastic microcosm of Twitter but a really lovely thread

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Alexzandvar posted:

Gaming journalism has always been trash, gaming magazines did not pop into existence through the power of magic fairy dust, they were started by publishers and companies. The internet has made any need to go to a "news site" irrelevant because you can just go to said companies or games webpage to find out everything you need.

growing up i read nintendo power for the unbiased journalism and i will not have you besmirch their good name

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Proteus4994 posted:

The last 10 pages are full of

"Anita sucks"
"No you suck"

Making it a fantastic microcosm of Twitter but a really lovely thread

talk about Daikatana, that might make this thread slightly more bearable

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Contra Calculus posted:

I am legitimately curious to know what John Romero thinks about this whole thing, and it's entirely because of Daikatana. I would love to see him interviewed and just have the questions be a string of "Being the man responsible for Daikatana, what are your thoughts on school reform/the Middle East/global warming/eating fish/Mass Effect 3's ending/literally any goddamn thing?"

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 29, 2014

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I bet Goatse wouldn't even phase a 12 year old these days.

do you think that when he farts it's just a gentle whisper?

thank you for your consideration

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Vice has posted an article about Vivian James and the FYC Game Jam. It was written with a heavy bias and an aggressively minimalist approach to fact checking.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

A poster who proposed all kids should learn karate in public school so that everyone in the United States would know karate and no one would need to use guns including the police because everyone can defend themselves equally, is schooling us about video games

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Maxwell Adams posted:

Also game journos & other people are pissy about *really* grossed out by that Patreon policy

Apart from that nothing much I think we're bored and shitposting about Tropes in video games until something happens.

e: woops broke tables

Falsum fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 29, 2014

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

mmm, yeah, all those shirtless men I killed in manhunt made me whip it out and jerk off right there

i enjoyed this game. gotta find that one again.

loving piggy man that was some poo poo.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Contra Calculus posted:

I did that LP like seven years ago it might just possibly be time to let it go

I did about 10 minutes after posting the last video

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Maxwell Adams posted:

Vice has posted an article about Vivian James and the FYC Game Jam. It was written with a heavy bias and an aggressively minimalist approach to fact checking.

quote:

If this stupidly complicated story has left you exhausted, as it has me, I have some good news: Gamers on Reddit (and plenty on 4chan) are already weighing in on whether they would have sex with this cartoon woman. At least that much is a constant in this world.

Well, it's like, one post, but uh...

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

big duck equals goose posted:

Well, it's like, one post, but uh...

Tbh that's the one thing you can always be certain of in this world.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
lmao vice has really been outdoing themselves lately in ferguson and now, on the internet

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

horriblePencilist posted:

Please add this to OP

This topic just keeps on deliverin':clint:

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Alexzandvar posted:

My entire point is there was no SJW take over of video games, but If you think the gay pilot in ME3 wasn't forced when the very first time you meet him he is crying over his dead husband and the only defining character trait he has is "I'm gay" your not paying any attention.

It wasnt a lovely romance plot because it was gay, it was a lovely romance plot because it was tacked on like 98% of all romance in media.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Lodin posted:

My two trigger words are problematic and trigger.
If anyone posts either of those words I will close this thread and literally shake with angst and anger. You can't stop me!

hosed up if true

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Spiky Ooze posted:

Dude face it we have a necrophiliac culture. It's out of control!

drat

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
why is the internet so mad that a bunch of /v/ people are giving money to charity? Idk if the sjw get that most charities dont care where the money comes from. You would think they would be all LOL look at you pieces of poo poo, giving money to charity, isnt that hilarious. Instead its OMG OMG OMG YOU GUY!!! YOU ARE RUINING CHARITIES!!!!!

the internet is a strange strange place with too many soap box slacktivists.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Musket posted:

why is the internet so mad that a bunch of /v/ people are giving money to charity? Idk if the sjw get that most charities dont care where the money comes from. You would think they would be all LOL look at you pieces of poo poo, giving money to charity, isnt that hilarious. Instead its OMG OMG OMG YOU GUY!!! YOU ARE RUINING CHARITIES!!!!!

the internet is a strange strange place with too many soap box slacktivists.

I'am guessing most sjw think that if they just one sort of nice thing about /v/ or who ever they hate, the other sjw will turn on them like they have turned traitor and yell and scream like they do at /v/. So they tow the party line because they don't want to be wrong.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't get the whole "she is saying basic 1st year freshman feminism stuff" because if the arguments were so basic and obvious then the entire internet wouldn't explode whenever she says it.

It seems disingenuous to say that something is obvious if the act of saying it causes a multi year controversy.

Also, fart

A lot of people who identify as gamers are extremely insecure and can't handle any kind of criticism of a product they like.

You can say "this game sucks because reasons" or "games aren't art because reasons" or "I don't like these parts because reasons" and they'll blow their tops and post a lot about how you're wrong.

Criticism from someone who doesn't look or act like them makes them even more insecure. It doesn't even cross their minds to just not care whenever someone expresses an opinion they disagree with.

Most game developers don't even react this way to criticism of things they directly had a hand in making, at least publicly, which makes it funnier.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Mappo posted:

I'am guessing most sjw think that if they just one sort of nice thing about /v/ or who ever they hate, the other sjw will turn on them like they have turned traitor

gee i wonder why they'd think that when that's literally what 95% of the "discourse" on tumblr is, sjws yelling at other sjws

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It's hard for some of them to grow up when they're still broken up about being picked on in middle/high school and never losing their virginity.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Falsum posted:

Also game journos & other people are pissy about *really* grossed out by that Patreon policy

Apart from that nothing much I think we're bored and shitposting about Tropes in video games until something happens.

e: woops broke tables
Hey is that chart a Chris Metzen storyline?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Rabble posted:

Wait wait wait, patreon is a website where you give someone a monthly payment for absolutely nothing??

What the gently caress

I looked into it last night and yes, that's all there is to it. You can either accept monthly payments for doing nothing, or you can set it up so that people pledge per Creative Work, which involves you clicking a button that says you made something and collecting the money for it at the end of the month. As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no editorial review process or quality control, which is why I made one at http://www.patreon.com/topbunkwanter and hope to get free money for posting and tweeting out of the deal.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's hard for some of them to grow up when they're still broken up about being picked on in middle/high school and never losing their virginity.

No see we know zoe had sex

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

True, but it made me uncomfortable to the point where I didn't buy it until years after it was relevent and for $5. I gather that's not what they were going for.

Well, you were obviously a part of their secondary audience. And you still bought the game. And the game has sold at least 2.1 million physical copies. I guess they did something right, huh?

That said, the trailer for Hitman: Absolution that featured sexy nuns made me believe that the franchise became irredeemably poo poo and I never bought the game.

But Hitman Go is still fun to play.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Falsum posted:

Okay.

Were you aware that 78% of all homicide victims are men?

[picture of battlefield 3]

Imagine what all those dead men would think about this. In games like this, literally hundreds of men are presented as targets for you to dispose of.

[footage of stealth kill from Uncharted 2]

And the player is always rewarded for these murders, with special rewards for more efficient or more gruesome kills. These video games perpetuate murder culture by shamelessly presenting an endless parade of death.

[slow-motion kill-cam from fallout 3]

And this violence is so deeply embedded into our culture that we're hardly aware of it. Did you know that word homicide literally means, "To kill a man"?

[Call of Duty muliplayer match]

Worse yet, the murderer themselves is usually depicted as a man as well. In popular "Death Match" games such as these, the player is denied the option to play as a woman.

[the golf club scene from Bioshock]

Murder victims cannot speak for themselves; because they are dead. If they could tell us one thing, it would be that murder is bad.

Video games are bad.

The end.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I debated you in earnest before but now I just don't think I can take you seriously, on the basis that you're kind of just quibbling on nonsense.

Regarding power fantasies and poo poo with women, I just wanna say the majority of women who I have had sex with sure as hell liked it when they got slammed super hard and had their titties smacked a little, so I don't know what to tell ya.

Except, y'know. Smoke trees. Make money. Slam bitches.

Lol, look at that idiot who had sex with real life women instead of engaging in heavy petting on twitter with internet feminists.

E: Who am I kidding, this did not happen.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

gee i wonder why they'd think that when that's literally what 95% of the "discourse" on tumblr is, sjws yelling at other sjws

Has anyone on the pro-Cuck side started a campaign to fund a charity that's not Zoe Quinn or is /v/ literally the only group that is trying to do some good out of this cluster gently caress?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I looked into it last night and yes, that's all there is to it. You can either accept monthly payments for doing nothing, or you can set it up so that people pledge per Creative Work, which involves you clicking a button that says you made something and collecting the money for it at the end of the month. As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no editorial review process or quality control, which is why I made one at http://www.patreon.com/topbunkwanter and hope to get free money for posting and tweeting out of the deal.

Donated, i'll tell you the tweet i want in good time.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mappo posted:

I'am guessing most sjw think that if they just one sort of nice thing about /v/ or who ever they hate, the other sjw will turn on them like they have turned traitor and yell and scream like they do at /v/. So they tow the party line because they don't want to be wrong.

Maoist Musical Chairs. Same thing happened when LF died and they went to a handful of offsites.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

for 10$ I can finally have my fyad thread "i love penis" without fear of mockery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mappo posted:

From personal experience this is no joke how it works

• Locked thread