Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

OK that just made me exceptionally angry. It's the worst type of drama because it could be resolved so quickly and never is because the character(s) in question are stubborn and/or don't want to "worry" others. Well good job on that last point.

Yeah, I agree. While worrying about how her mom might be alone like her, she's making others worry about her again by not being open about what just happened, but they're worried anyways. LOGIC.

jackofarcades posted:

She probably just doesn't want to say out loud that she doesn't want to live with her mom

That's why she says "give me time to think about it" and isn't telling anyone because she knows the answer already but she doesn't like it.

This makes sense though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Another chapter of Kakukaku Shikajika! Sensei continues to be pretty great, so hearing all these regrets is pretty painful, especially since I'm sure we've all been there. :smith:

I've never read anything by Akihito Yoshitomi but his first series, Eat-man, is fully translated for anyone who's curious. Dude's also done a bunch of yuri, which I'm not that familiar with so can't say much about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke 92

Please just break up already, this whole plot line has been dreadfully dull. Super pretty cover page at least.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Allarion posted:

Another chapter of Kakukaku Shikajika! Sensei continues to be pretty great, so hearing all these regrets is pretty painful, especially since I'm sure we've all been there. :smith:

I've never read anything by Akihito Yoshitomi but his first series, Eat-man, is fully translated for anyone who's curious. Dude's also done a bunch of yuri, which I'm not that familiar with so can't say much about it.
I think it's funny how worried she was a few chapters ago about revealing that she wanted to be a mangaka to her sensei and it turns out he already taught one. Eat Man sounds hilarious. Sure, there are regrets in this chapter, but I remember worrying that sensei would die when she was away at uni or something. At least they had some more good times in the class together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Kimi ni Todoke 92

Please just break up already, this whole plot line has been dreadfully dull. Super pretty cover page at least.

The only reason I hope they don't is that it makes the vibe between her and Pin more likely to just be me reading things weirdly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The only reason I hope they don't is that it makes the vibe between her and Pin more likely to just be me reading things weirdly.

It's not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh for fucks sake.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Allarion posted:

I just binged on this. Holy gently caress I feel really emotional over someone's autobiographical manga.

Just goddamn. I need this localized in Korea asap so I can buy this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In case anyone missed this being posted in the Summer thread:

darkgray posted:

Anyone still remember Kuragehime? Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6op_qxBc9RE

It actually looks pretty good and the casting seems to be almost eerily spot-on. Maybe that means they'll do a movie (or series!) based on Kakukaku Shikajika next. You never know, I guess.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The same person who made Kurenai Ouji made this: Kokoro Kimiiro Sakura Iro. The main premise is that a boy had claimed that a girl, who's his childhood friend, is going to become his bride and all the embarassment following from that. While this can easily be super creepy, I think it's not, because it's very obvious that the girl also liked the boy and not currently reciprocating his affections because she didn't process it yet. Or could be that the boy is finally breaking through her defenses.

The art is super cute though!!! It's pretty light-hearted so far and I really hope it won't be super creepy!

I am a bit weirded out that there are romance between the boy's siblings and the girl's siblings, to be honest. Nothing creepy, just...odd.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

toanoradian posted:

The same person who made Kurenai Ouji made this: Kokoro Kimiiro Sakura Iro. The main premise is that a boy had claimed that a girl, who's his childhood friend, is going to become his bride and all the embarassment following from that. While this can easily be super creepy, I think it's not, because it's very obvious that the girl also liked the boy and not currently reciprocating his affections because she didn't process it yet. Or could be that the boy is finally breaking through her defenses.

The art is super cute though!!! It's pretty light-hearted so far and I really hope it won't be super creepy!

I am a bit weirded out that there are romance between the boy's siblings and the girl's siblings, to be honest. Nothing creepy, just...odd.

The setup is obviously that the families are basically exactly the same, but reversed, so everyone gets a partner. It's pretty cute, I think.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kakukaku Shikajika 26

Lookin' good there Aikiko

Maybe if the Jellyfish Princess/Kuragehime movie does well they'll do a second season of the anime? Maybe someday they'll do an official English version of the manga. :sigh:

edit:
Sensei owns bones.

edit edit:
god drat i love this manga so much

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 23, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's the best, as Cooking Papa would say. There's something about her art that feels natural and fresh, and I love the realism of her recollections. I feel like a poo poo for not being more dedicated to my dreams, though. The whole bit a couple of chapters ago about her working fulltime, doing a series, and helping out at the art class really struck me, especially since she goes on to say that it wasn't that much work in hindsight. I work exactly 7.5hrs a day at an easy job, come home, and find excuses not to be creative until it's time to fall asleep.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A new chapter of Horimiya came out, although it's shorter than normal. Maybe an extra?

It's always nice to have a look at the side characters once in awhile, even though I only remember one of them.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Short but sweet

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How likely is it that someone would enjoy Kakukaku Shikajika if they didn't really care for Kuragehime?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It's am autobiographical manga about her life. It's pretty different in tone as well. There's a lot of regret throughout the manga. Still funny with her humor but the tone I found to be much more sombre despite the silly stuff she gets into

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

How likely is it that someone would enjoy Kakukaku Shikajika if they didn't really care for Kuragehime?

I'd say pretty likely since they aim for different things. Since Kakukaku Shikajika is a autobiography, it's a lot more relatable than Kuragehime was.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I'd say fairly likely, they're not very similar. So, unless you didn't like Kuragehime specifically because of her artwork I guess, you should give it a shot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

I thought Kuragehime was OK, but I like Kakukaku a whole lot more. As an indication, I think I enjoyed the bonus stuff at the end of Kuragehime's volumes about her personal life and working environment more than Kuragehime itself, and Kakukaku is like a massively extended retrospective of all that.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Just started on Kakukaku Shikajika. Really enjoying it, she does a good job of making you share her regrets.

I doubt there's any semblance of a happy ending other than that she's successful now!

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Ohh another new Horimiya is chapter out! Two in one day! It's like Christmas!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh god, I just corpsed when I saw that of all the jokes they were making it was Miyamura's period making a spontaneous return.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This Horiyama chapter was fantastic. The excuses they came up with is so absurd

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Please, God, give me a cold that will blow off my right arm.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So do we have any idea what's up with Sengoku's arm that he's so embarrassed about?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

So do we have any idea what's up with Sengoku's arm that he's so embarrassed about?

I think the previous short chapter is supposed to answer that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is Kakukaku Shikajika day! It's a loving doozy!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh dear :ohdear:

But, Akiko-Scope made me laugh pretty hard.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

:( aghhhhh

Man, Japanese art schools sound really intense.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Well drat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For some reason it makes me feel like he killed himself, I mean I've been feeling like him "dying" has been one of the biggest fakeouts of this manga what with how heavily it foreshadows it(yes I know it's an autobiographical story), but maybe he actually did die, and maybe in a way absolutely nobody expected.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh god please no.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What a way to end that loving chapter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

New chapter of Ore Monogatari

Face status: still the best.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's amazing to me that this is the same mangaka as Aozora Yell, which is just a completely humorless and earnest high school sports/band manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jackofarcades posted:

It's amazing to me that this is the same mangaka as Aozora Yell, which is just a completely humorless and earnest high school sports/band manga.
The same guy did both Claymore and Angel Densetsu. Nothing should surprise you after that one.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like how Gouda's name has exclamation points on both his name tag and apartment name plate.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Takeo's dad is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
After becoming aware that What Did You Eat Yesterday? was licensed, I picked up the first volume today. I enjoy it as much as I remember, and the English version seems solid. I wouldn't mind a few notes on Japanese cooking in back, but I understand that it's not really trying to be a primer on Japanese cooking for westerners.

I've read plenty of yuri and straight romance stuff, but this is pretty much the only BL/yaoi stuff I've ever gotten into. I think it's been asked before, but is there anything else out there that's A) good, B) not rape-y, and preferably C) involving adults? I suppose I'd prefer D) less explicit, but that's secondary to A-C.