Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The "Idiots on Social Media" calls are coming from inside the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Someone posted this as her facebook status:

quote:

Google breast Aldo w I want black ops Aldo my room and my under what cat houses decay I konw that houses I want to look at house cies do girls are you you whistle Michelle vegetarians return do it too Twitter as here Google games me Google
:catdrugs:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This whole "feminists are ruining the industry" thing is going to end in a crazy person shooting someone and people are still going to be saying "Well okay maybe that woman didn't deserve that but I don't think you understand, she had bad opinions."

They already did all that for Elliot Rodger. :smith:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

That DICK! posted:

This guy loving sucks

oh look another fyad poster jumping into a thread just to say "haha this poster sucks"

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
big fyad keeping the li'l man down

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Excels posted:

oh look another fyad poster jumping into a thread just to say "haha this poster sucks"

No one ever brings up things that may "hypothetically" be true in situations like this unless they're trying to push that version of events. It's like the conspiracy theorist who says they're "just asking questions."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

In other-same news, I've got a big one from tumblr followed by a smaller one as soon as I can find the post.

Here's another SJW rant on how poo poo they "are" http://imgur.com/gallery/srTljAA really falls apart when it starts defending Jontron saying retarded.

I'm starting to feel like I should just make multiple posts, with how big this one is getting.

Okay, last one.

:words::words::words::words::words::words::words::byodood:

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Aug 28, 2014

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

RareAcumen posted:

In other-same news, I've got a big one from tumblr followed by a smaller one as soon as I can find the post.

Just a question here: Am I to be considered an terrible person and Idiot on Social Media if I agree with the response? Because I really don't know where to go with this whole issue. I think Anita is a giant pain in the rear end, but, well, we've all been on XBoX Live before.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Just a question here: Am I to be considered an terrible person and Idiot on Social Media if I agree with the response? Because I really don't know where to go with this whole issue. I think Anita is a giant pain in the rear end, but, well, we've all been on XBoX Live before.

Really, I posted all that to change the subject. I also think that the second screenshot is good enough for me to say that I don't personally agree with this guy. Like you can pull off making a decent game guaranteed to actually sell with X-thousand dollars.

Also: "You've got to wake up to the truth"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, its a really dumb response that is kind of part strawman (she is not advocating censorship, or whatever he is on about) part hilarious revisionist. I mean he looked back and is saying she is on the wrong side of social issues and the busts out the famous "there are more serious problems out there so why focus on anything else". Its just a terrible, terrible response.

I don't care for her videos but I hope she continues to piss dumb nerds off forever.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Aug 28, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/504634046643568640

Please read the responses to lord british's tweet, they are good.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't read past the second picture, is there anything of value or is it just another entitled nerd :qq:ing over that MEANIE THIEF Anita?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I didn't read past the second picture, is there anything of value or is it just another entitled nerd :qq:ing over that MEANIE THIEF Anita?

There is also a weird fetishizing of the free market thrown in there. IE if the customers want it that makes it okay. For some reason.

Its literally all terrible nerd arguments in one. Which is impressive.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Aug 29, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Sorry man, I finally read that thing and I'm afraid you've been classified a Stupid Idiot Fucker JG. Breaks my heart to have to tell you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm of the opinion that Sarkeesian's videos are poorly made, her arguments are bad, she's not a very good feminist, and that while she's right that the industry and the community suffers from sexism, many of her examples are bad. That said nobody deserves to get harassed or abused.

This opinion makes both sides hate me.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
gently caress off jj mccullough

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
OK everyone let's list all of our opinions on women so we know whether or not to hate you

Number one, this girl Andrea from my old high school. I got her a coffee once and she promised to get me one next week and she never did the gently caress is with that

Number two,

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

quote:

Media--especially popular media--reflects already-existing norms, ideas, concepts, and sentiments in a society, it doesn't dictate them to consumers

You had the ball in your hand, champ, it was right there!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bean_shadow posted:

Original poster is my mom's cousin. The linked article is your typical smugness about "kids today" and "parents today" and "in my day we didn't use seatbelts" kind of bullshit. My mom's cousin responded with "I can't figure out how any of us survived. Did kids not have allergies in the 70's?"

This actually makes me pretty mad. Thankfully, I'm not allergic to peanuts but my research used to touch on autoimmunity and peanuts are a loving lethal allergy that affects around 0.6% of the US population. Child mortality (ages 1-4 and 5-14) has fallen more than 0.6% since the '70s but holy poo poo, should 0.6% of the population just die? We are talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people dying of an easily preventable thing. Why on Earth would that be a good thing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

This actually makes me pretty mad. Thankfully, I'm not allergic to peanuts but my research used to touch on autoimmunity and peanuts are a loving lethal allergy that affects around 0.6% of the US population. Child mortality (ages 1-4 and 5-14) has fallen more than 0.6% since the '70s but holy poo poo, should 0.6% of the population just die? We are talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people dying of an easily preventable thing. Why on Earth would that be a good thing?

Because that kid in your school who's allergic to peanut butter loving ruins it for everybody.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shbobdb posted:

Because someone heard the Louis C.K. joke and agreed with it literally

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

Sorry to be pedantic but... Why don't your figures include the age range 4-5?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Because those were the most up-to-date figures I could find with a super lazy lit search.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Pretty sure someone eating peanut butter for lunch doesn't cause someone else to die of a peanut allergy.

Also pretty sure most schools don't ban students from bringing peanut butter. Although a quick google search suggests that some do? *shrug*

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Apogee15 posted:

Pretty sure someone eating peanut butter for lunch doesn't cause someone else to die of a peanut allergy.

Also pretty sure most schools don't ban students from bringing peanut butter. Although a quick google search suggests that some do? *shrug*

Hope you never have kids with a severe allergy, holy moly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sorry to be pedantic but... Why don't your figures include the age range 4-5?

1-4 includes 4, and 5-14 includes 5. :ssh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apogee15 posted:

I went on a field trip with my friend who had a severe allergic reaction while we were out on a glacier, she had to use her epipen and get airlifted to hospital. She's allergic to shellfish and peanuts. She didn't eat any, but we did sit at a seemingly clean restaurant table to fill out paperwork before we hiked up the ice. So yeah, it actually can be a serious issue.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"If EA were to create a misogyny simulator only misogynists would buy it!"

I dunno, GTA has a reputation for being a prostitute murdering simulator as old as the series itself. Didn't stop MRAs from crying after a woman gave GTA V a 9.5/10 because the prostitute murdering aspects made it not a 10/10 game.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Apogee15 posted:

I'm always shocked when people are astoundingly ignorant on an issue yet still feel the need to speak up as though they understand the issue. Wouldn't it be better to ask to be educated or admit ignorance?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Nope.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TinTower posted:

"If EA were to create a misogyny simulator only misogynists would buy it!"

I dunno, GTA has a reputation for being a prostitute murdering simulator as old as the series itself. Didn't stop MRAs from crying after a woman gave GTA V a 9.5/10 because the prostitute murdering aspects made it not a 10/10 game.

Also in the vein of 'bad things stupid people do' White CJ mods.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Shbobdb posted:

I'm always shocked when people are astoundingly ignorant on an issue yet still feel the need to speak up as though they understand the issue. Wouldn't it be better to ask to be educated or admit ignorance?

I'm not sure why it's shocking to you, that's pretty much the norm for 90% of the planet's population. And the rest of the 10% do it too sometimes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

That would make their penis' shrink.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
You'd have to believe you are wrong.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apogee15 posted:

You'd have to believe you are wrong.

Guess you skimmed over my story where I said my friend nearly died after touching a table that had food residue on it. Someone else eating lunch almost killed my friend. It's the same risk as bringing peanut butter into schools. Do you get it yet?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

What is this feeling where I can agree with someone's sentiment but still feel they're expressing it in a dumb manner?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Tea Bone posted:

"Pft, 'Science', just use gut instinct. :smuggo:"

Dante also legit believes she can talk with animals.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I was replying to a post which implied that bringing peanut butter to school automatically kills people who have peanut allergies. Specifically this part "should 0.6% of the population just die?". I don't think not having peanut butter banned means I think those people should just die.

Obviously if they come in contact with the peanut butter, or even the residue, it can cause a reaction. This is not news to me. It sucks, but that's what you have to deal with when you have a deadly food allergy. If you have a deadly food allergy you have to be careful and carry some medication in case you do get exposed.

What about all the other very common food allergies which can cause deadly reactions? IE any dairy product, eggs, mushrooms, wheat, fish, soy, and most nuts? Not to mention the less common ones. Should all of those be banned? Or is it only when some percentage of the population can have a reaction? What percentage is that? Where should it be banned? Just schools? What about airplanes or buses?

The total amount of people who die each year from peanut allergies is pretty miniscule, and that's including all ages and doesn't include where they were exposed. In the US this year 2 kids have died from allergic reactions so far(and only 1 from peanut allergies) and neither exposure happened at school. The year before it was 13, and again none were at any schools. That doesn't seem like a good reason to ban it from schools.

I shouldn't even be replying in this thread, so my bad about that.

Apogee15 has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Aug 29, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Apogee15 posted:

I was replying to a post which implied that bringing peanut butter to school automatically kills people who have peanut allergies. Specifically this part "should 0.6% of the population just die?". I don't think not having peanut butter banned means I think those people should just die.

Obviously if they come in contact with the peanut butter, or even the residue, it can cause a reaction. This is not news to me. It sucks, but that's what you have to deal with when you have a deadly food allergy. If you have a deadly food allergy you have to be careful and carry some medication in case you do get exposed.

What about all the other very common food allergies which can cause deadly reactions? IE any dairy product, eggs, mushrooms, wheat, fish, soy, and most nuts? Not to mention the less common ones. Should all of those be banned? Or is it only when some percentage of the population can have a reaction? What percentage is that? Where should it be banned? Just schools? What about airplanes or buses?

The total amount of people who die each year from peanut allergies is pretty miniscule, and that's including all ages and doesn't include where they were exposed. In the US this year 2 kids have died from allergic reactions so far(and only 1 from peanut allergies) and neither exposure happened at school. The year before it was 13, and again none were at any schools. That doesn't seem like a good reason to ban it from schools.

I shouldn't even be replying in this thread, so my bad about that.

On the other hand, it's just peanut butter. I'm pretty sure kids can get by with other foods for lunch. Their minor inconvenience is probably not going to outweigh someone's actual loving life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tin Hat posted:

What is this feeling where I can agree with someone's sentiment but still feel they're expressing it in a dumb manner?

Toothpastes are actually quite a lot like presidential elections in that there plenty of choices but why would you buy anything other than Crest or Colgate you weirdo.

Also what would even be the presidential equivalent of bacon toothpaste. Like, a dog that everyone votes for ironically but before you know it it's in office and everything is somehow even worse than you could have possibly imagined as president dog declares thermonuclear war on Europe.

• Locked thread