Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I need to beat Unreal. I never got that far in it (I think a third of the way?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, I liked Wheel of Time :shobon:

Also, I thought Star Control 3 was widely regarded as a crime against humanity?

I know some people liked Wheel of Time. I liked the concept very much... not so the game itself, but I played it in 2001, I think? Also, I may be biased again, as I haven't read the books (not sure if even they were translated and released here at the time).

Fellow space-strategy buff (and original Unreal enthusiast) told me Star Control 3 was good, so I believed him; now looking at it's GOG page I see that many folks don't think so. Welp, to each their own. Probably most of the controversy comes from fact that SC3 was developed not by original team.

But it still puzzles me that Legend Ent. shifted from adventure games to something more straight-forward, which ultimately led to their demise.

And jumping on HL2 talk wagon: I really liked it, and I only played it for the first time at the end of 2010 (hey, I had a really lovely PC through most of the decade). I completed HL2 with episodes 4-5 times, comparing to completely giving up at HL1 somewhere in the middle. Black Mesa Source was sweet, though. Back to HL2, now it seems to get much more flak for being linear, filled with talking heads which open doors for you and some really ugly enviroments, but still it holds up very well in terms of gunplay, and balancing the story and gameplay. While story itself is quite corny at times, it still better written and driven than most shooters to this day. At least, it feels like something written for humans, not meme-spouting nerds (see: Borderlands).

Prenton posted:

I missed playing HL first time round back in the day, and to be honest I thought it was way too full of "do this exactly the right way or die instantly" platforming parts when I did eventually play it.

Oh, someone put in words what I couldn't, but I'd stretch it further: some encounters with soldiers are done like that, and too often it seems like you need a sixth sense to predict some of assaults. I remember soldier's AI being highly praised at time of HL's release, but very quickly everyone discovered it was scripted as all hell.

But you know what I liked? The PS2 version of Half-Life. You can even connect the USB keyboard and mouse, and it plays really nice, with improved visuals. And it has a co-op mini campaign, which was fun to blast thru with a friend. Not exactly TimeSplitters-good, but I'm still reccomending this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

laserghost posted:

I know some people liked Wheel of Time. I liked the concept very much... not so the game itself, but I played it in 2001, I think? Also, I may be biased again, as I haven't read the books (not sure if even they were translated and released here at the time).

It's set like 400 years before the books and I'm honestly not sure how much you get from having read them.

quote:

Fellow space-strategy buff (and original Unreal enthusiast) told me Star Control 3 was good, so I believed him; now looking at it's GOG page I see that many folks don't think so. Welp, to each their own. Probably most of the controversy comes from fact that SC3 was developed not by original team.

I've never played SC3, just SC2 (which owns and is freeware, btw). But to be honest, none of the complaints I've heard about it even get to the gameplay. Mostly it seems to be objections to it retconning events from SC1/2 in incredibly stupid ways.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

laserghost posted:

But you know what I liked? The PS2 version of Half-Life. You can even connect the USB keyboard and mouse, and it plays really nice, with improved visuals. And it has a co-op mini campaign, which was fun to blast thru with a friend. Not exactly TimeSplitters-good, but I'm still reccomending this.

The co-op got remade as a mod to PC HL1 and released. It's pretty good, even if the final fight is really dumb.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

It's set like 400 years before the books and I'm honestly not sure how much you get from having read them.

Very little besides recognizing the names of some locations and enemies like the Trollocs and Myrddraal.

Also, speedruns of the game are great due to how easily the fireball and other spells can be used to bypass huge sections of the maps.

http://www.twitch.tv/seamergency/c/4902729

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Am I the only one who had little use for the Tau Cannon? Didn't do much damage, I couldn't get the hang of deflecting fire to hit enemies, ammo was rare (and better saved for the Gluon), and I'd rather hit enemies with the crossbow or just fire on them with the MP5.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I need to beat Unreal. I never got that far in it (I think a third of the way?).

Do it.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

JackMackerel posted:

Am I the only one who had little use for the Tau Cannon? Didn't do much damage, I couldn't get the hang of deflecting fire to hit enemies, ammo was rare (and better saved for the Gluon), and I'd rather hit enemies with the crossbow or just fire on them with the MP5.

It was the exact opposite for me. The Tau Cannon, with its ability to charge up shots, was my go-to for the stronger enemies in the game, while I rarely touched the Gluon Gun.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The hospital in Episode 1 owned, the zombie/combine fighting combined with the music was :gizz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIj20iC45CQ

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

Charged shots did huge amounts of damage and shot through walls, including all forms of cover and other enemies. The gluon gun has higher DPS and probably higher damage per ammo, but for sheer spike damage the taugun was amazing. A full charge will casually one-shot a helicopter and most other things.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't forget the part where Alyx pretends to be a zombie, or where Dog tosses you across the ravine. Other than that I got nothin. I remember thinking "Hm, they really seem to want me to like Alyx."

What's wrong with Alyx?

Also I don't remember having to babysit her at all. I know she could die but I can't remember a single instance of her actually getting killed when I played HL2.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I didn't use the Tau Cannon until my latest HL1 run. The basic firing mode is kinda weak, but the charged-up shots can wreck the the Alien Grunts, APCs, and tanks the game throws at you. It's also fun using it to destroy the helicopter at the dam. :v: You just need to watch your ammo, because there isn't a lot of it laying around.

I still dumped the Tau after getting the Gluon, but you can really get some use out of the Tau before you pick up the Gluon.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Do it. It's one of my favorite games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yodzilla posted:

What's wrong with Alyx?

Also I don't remember having to babysit her at all. I know she could die but I can't remember a single instance of her actually getting killed when I played HL2.

Nothing's wrong with Alyx, really, it's just that the game is going out of its way to make sure that you like her.

As for HL1 guns, once I got the shotgun I pretty much just used that.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I'd often waste the Tau shots too much, using them on a human grunt or something stupid. :smith:

Also, yeah, I much preferred the shotgun, since it did way more damage than the MP5.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Does anyone here judge an FPS soley by how good or bad their shotgun is?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Starhawk64 posted:

Is there any other way?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that's a pretty drat good indicator. Trying to think of a really bad game with a good shotgun or a really good game with a bad shotgun and coming up empty.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
FEAR's shotgun was a beast until the third one toned down its ability to turn a human being into a screaming cloud of red mist. It was just okay in the third.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that's a pretty drat good indicator. Trying to think of a really bad game with a good shotgun or a really good game with a bad shotgun and coming up empty.

Shadow Warrior 2013's shotgun felt pretty weak but the game is still fun.

That is true, and it does get better once you upgrade it.
v

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 29, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Shadow Warrior 2013 should get a pass because all the guns are a bit weaker than they should be, so the shotgun is relatively still pretty good.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, you get pheropods, but I want my gauss gun and detpacks and tripmines and snarks and alien bee hand and acid-spitting fish and loving TELEPORTER CANNON back. Give me back my Displacer, Valve! :argh:

The Displacer was Gearbox, actually. I never used it beyond the first the two times I used it, since I was just teleported into a void in Xen, with no land to stand on.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
The shotgun in Blood is my favorite after Doom's shotgun and super shotgun.

We should make a top 10!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

a really good game with a bad shotgun
Goldeneye?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Goldeneye introduced me to the mind-bending possibilities of autoshotguns, so I can't really hate.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
There was one Call of Duty that had some shotgun that shot fire rounds and the entire level was you running through apartments blowing people to flaming bits. Shame it was limited to one level and didn't show up in multiplayer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quake's shotgun was kinda weak, but I guess that's expected because it's the starting weapon. Its super low spread made it pretty good for sniping knights and scrags at times though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

There was one Call of Duty that had some shotgun that shot fire rounds and the entire level was you running through apartments blowing people to flaming bits. Shame it was limited to one level and didn't show up in multiplayer.

Those were in the first Black Ops. They didn't bother to have them in Zombies, either. Its a shame because there's an akimbo shotgun in multiplayer that would be amazing with them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ep1 gave us full commentary tracks. It is therefore a lot better than the it gets credit for.

But yes, the actual gameplay that they comment on is… eh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Killzone 1 had a shotgun where the alt-fire shot two shells at once. You could do this at the same time as the regular firing action. It kind of ruled.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
One of these days I'm going to actually play HL2 Ep1 and Ep2. I remember being really disappointed with their decision to go for the episodic model, in part because I never trusted the idea that, "It's better to get a shorter game/installment every 9-12 months than wait 3 or 4 years for a full sequel!"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

When they were first releasing the HL2 episodes, I decided to hold off on buying them until they finished the series.

Still don't own them :colbert:

Also because of shotgun chat I'm legally obligated to post this gif:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Goldeneye introduced me to the mind-bending possibilities of autoshotguns, so I can't really hate.

The automatic shotgun in GTA V/GTA Online is awesome. And it carries 36 shells in the round ammo case clip thingy when upgraded. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mak0rz posted:

Quake's shotgun was kinda weak, but I guess that's expected because it's the starting weapon. Its super low spread made it pretty good for sniping knights and scrags at times though.

Double shotgun is cool though, that booming sound it makes is badass.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A lot of shooters nowadays have lost the art of tactile weapons with great feedback. Half Life 1 had really great weapons with a lot of feedback, but Half Life 2's bunch felt like pea-shooters with the exception of the magnum.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A lot of shooters nowadays have lost the art of tactile weapons with great feedback. Half Life 1 had really great weapons with a lot of feedback, but Half Life 2's bunch felt like pea-shooters with the exception of the magnum.

I've ranted about it before (in this very thread) and yes, HL2's weapons were generally underwhelming, and the arsenal as a whole was terrible and derivative. I hated that MP7. One of the only things that really felt unusual and satisfying was the Pulse Rifle's alt-firing giant hell-pinball that it would launch at 1000 miles an hour.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shotguns in Q2 are quite good, the first one makes a decent weapon on first levels, but the double-barelled one wrecks poo poo even at the end levels. It's also the only weapon to use with Quad turned on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tippis posted:

Ep1 gave us full commentary tracks. It is therefore a lot better than the it gets credit for.

But yes, the actual gameplay that they comment on is… eh.
I thought the commentary tracks were debuted in the free "Lost Coast" mission they put out. That thing was a pretty shameless tech demo that just happened to have a Half-Life 2 game playing in the middle of it, what with the new HDR stuff...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of these days I'm going to actually play HL2 Ep1 and Ep2. I remember being really disappointed with their decision to go for the episodic model, in part because I never trusted the idea that, "It's better to get a shorter game/installment every 9-12 months than wait 3 or 4 years for a full sequel!"
To be fair, looking at their gameography they've put out at least one game a year since 2004 with the exception of 2010 and this year. They just aren't... you know... Half-Life games.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

I thought the commentary tracks were debuted in the free "Lost Coast" mission they put out. That thing was a pretty shameless tech demo that just happened to have a Half-Life 2 game playing in the middle of it, what with the new HDR stuff...
It did, but Lost Coast was also too brief to really give any real insight into their gameplay design. Most of it just talked about the HDR, and the design comments were more along the line of “this is an arena, enemies will appear later” and “how do you make players look up?”

Ep1 had time to go more into detail about how they teach the player new tricks and how they use visual design to convey a message. And, of course, a lot of discussion about how to make Alex work.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Killing Floor is pretty great for this. The guns are pretty fun, and Killing Floor 2 is on its way.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Starhawk64 posted:

I thought that was the standard metric? Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun with that foreward pistol grip will always be my second favorite. That was the first game I played that had ejecting shell casings! OOoooohh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun with that foreward pistol grip

Chasm: The Rift's shotgun was designed like that, but with two barrels :getin: