Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hearing the music again and realizing thematic ties between two familiar tunes (in this case, Mr. Batty Twist and another song, and Mind of a Thief and something else) is putting me even closer to picking this up again. I love themes in game soundtracks, not to mention excellent soundtracks in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

And...that's it.

Late, but oh man, the tear from the Mecha-Drago... :smith:

Goddamn it this game is depressing so far. At least Duster's quest seems a bit more like standard JRPG fare.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Although having zombies that remember who they are and who you are is kinda grim. He's having to kill friends and neighbors while they're still aware and conversant.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I mentioned before that when Flint attacks, he belts out a few sax notes. Boney barks in time with the music, too.

As for Duster? He plays bass. :allears:

Also in regards to battle music, mobile graves are odd in that the most reliable way to kill them before they trash you (at least in my experience) is to follow the Accelerondo music they have. At least that's how I ended up dealing with them; it was the only way I could take them out before they wrecked my poo poo. It's the song that teaches you to follow a beat to survive, I suppose.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 28, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Although having zombies that remember who they are and who you are is kinda grim. He's having to kill friends and neighbors while they're still aware and conversant.
To be fair, we're talking about zombies that were aware and conversant enough to know who you are, but were still willing to eat you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair, zombies in general are pretty grim.

We're only really able to laugh about the Undead because they don't actually exist; if Zombies were an actual thing that really happened they would be way less funny.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm sure stand-up comedians would still make fun of them.

I thought of three jokes, but they're all on the same theme and horribly misogynistic, misandrist, or classist, which admittedly is basically 90% of standup comedy.

e: "And what's the deal with zombie airline food?"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:frogbon:

Everyone's staring at us! :gonk:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Fate is probably my favorite regular enemy theme in the game and yet it's always used on weird dorpy enemies.

...Well okay it's pretty fitting for :negative: but you know.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

For a game with so much attention to detail (love the Spineless Lobsters running from you if you stare them down), I'm surprised the Hypno-Pendulum works on enemies facing away from you/it.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Is it just me, or are the male zombies kind of dressed like Ness?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

MachuPikacchu posted:

Is it just me, or are the male zombies kind of dressed like Ness?

I'm not sure "striped shirt" equals dressed as Ness.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fredrik1 posted:

I'm not sure "striped shirt" equals dressed as Ness.

No they're meant to be at least slightly reminiscent what with the red hat and what not. It doesn't mean anything other than a little joke.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No they're meant to be at least slightly reminiscent what with the red hat and what not. It doesn't mean anything other than a little joke.

Maybe it's hard to tell from the sprites, but that's patchy red hair, not a hat. Sometimes a striped shirt is just a striped shirt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darth TNT posted:

:frogbon:

Everyone's staring at us! :gonk:

Looks more like :mrgw: too me.

I do love how many different enemy designs this game has. Many of them are only used once and don't even get recycled as a palette swap later. A lot of effort went into making areas feel unique, down to the kinds of enemies that show up in them.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

How Ingratiating! posted:

Maybe it's hard to tell from the sprites, but that's patchy red hair, not a hat. Sometimes a striped shirt is just a striped shirt.

It was the patch of red in the back of the head as well. It looked kind of like a hat (it still does to me). I wasn't trying to imply that it was him, obviously, just that the design might be a callback or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

They're supposed to resemble Claus and Hinawa.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, Claus has that red hair and the striped shirt, but it's a little hard to tell with the small sprite he had. The one in the red dress is an obvious fit for Hinawa too. That's why they were talking about how much he grew up and how bit he was, the Hinawa Zombie was talking as if she hadn't spoken to him since he was a child, and the Claus one was asking "Wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. Shouldn't I be dead in the mountains and not like, in this graveyard?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think you guys are missing the fact that there were loving two of each zombie. They're not Claus and Hinawa.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
They don't have to literally be them to be reminiscent of them. It's a visual cue, nothing more.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
No you guys, it's actually a hallucination brought on by the recent trauma Duster experienced when taking part in the search for Claus and Hinawa which causes him to obsessively dig up corpses and mistake them for evil undead manifestations of the people he failed to

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

No you guys, it's actually a hallucination brought on by the recent trauma Duster experienced when taking part in the search for Claus and Hinawa which causes him to obsessively dig up corpses and mistake them for evil undead manifestations of the people he failed to

Duster is Hinawa and the burden of a small family to a soon to be master thief just got too daunting and boring.

M.Night Shalaman presents MOTHER 3: Pk edition

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Don't worry guys, there will be lots of crazy theories to debate about later. These zombies likely aren't Claus or Hinawa, especially since you first one them one copy of each.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You know what I haven't done since my Legend of Mana LP? Avatars!

Had another from the first update I wanted to mess with, but don't have time right now. I'll probably have some more pop up as the LP continues, of course.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mega64 posted:

Had another from the first update I wanted to mess with, but don't have time right now. I'll probably have some more pop up as the LP continues, of course.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Mega64 posted:

Yoink.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glad to see they're already getting taken! Here's some more while I put off doing the next part!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd switch to a Mother 3 avatar, but I love my current avatar and accompanying text too much (for those who don't know, it's a Tick from Kirby, and the text is from the song "Tick" by Ween). Also, I'm broke.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Hey there, Drago buddy. :3::hf::3:

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Glad to see they're already getting taken! Here's some more while I put off doing the next part!

Hinata remembered in death as she was in life; endlessly eating birds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That's up to the fifth update now. In the meantime, perhaps I'll actually get started on the next update.

e: Also made an Imgur album for them.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 30, 2014

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Just ran into this thread, and I wanted to echo that all the music is really great. I really enjoy Fate and Accelorondo is a really nice piece. Also...

Very late mentioning it, but I seem to remember that you could also dash into the Drago from the side, causing it to fall directly on top of you.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Animated avatars have been getting a shitton more elaborate now that the size has changed...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Gah, of course you do this like a week after I finally got an avatar. Thanks a lot, OP. :rubshands:

edit: v let me tell you about Final Fantasy

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 30, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Hedera Helix posted:

Gah, of course you do this like a week after I finally got an avatar. Thanks a lot, OP. :rubshands:

But what you've got is already the best and I have no idea what it even references. You made the correct choice.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

MagusProject posted:

Hinata remembered in death as she was in life; endlessly eating birds.

That made me laugh too much not to use it.

I like chapter 2, it's a good change of pace after all that happened in the first chapter. That's what I meant when I said the game doesn't dwell on the death for too long, I mean it's still there but it's not as important to us now that we're playing as Duster who isn't directly involved.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

evilspacehopper posted:

That made me laugh too much not to use it.

Her name is Hinawa, by the way.

quote:

I like chapter 2, it's a good change of pace after all that happened in the first chapter. That's what I meant when I said the game doesn't dwell on the death for too long, I mean it's still there but it's not as important to us now that we're playing as Duster who isn't directly involved.

The thing about Hinawa's death is that it's meant to be more of a gut punch to set things in motion and underscore the fact that the world is changing, and that all sorts of things that we as players and the more aware characters in the story aren't going to want to deal with are on the horizon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

F-O-E! F-O-E!
Even in the Nowhere Islands, F-O-E!

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

frozentreasure posted:

Her name is Hinawa, by the way.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffff..... Oh well, I'll fix it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Duster is really the first chance we've gotten to explore the battle system, isn't it? This might be an interesting dungeon.

• Locked thread