Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Godholio posted:

Did he report the nature of the problem? I'm also curious what altitude he was flying at that this unfolded so quickly. The wing commander mentioned it was odd because they usually operate much higher than whatever he was at.

No. He just said emergency and then didn't answer. He was in the very high flight levels and from level flight to lost radar contact took less than 24 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

kmcormick9 posted:

No. He just said emergency and then didn't answer. He was in the very high flight levels and from level flight to lost radar contact took less than 24 seconds

I'll just add that going off of the top of my head I want to say that the Mass ANG has some of the oldest F-15Cs in the fleet (which is like being the oldest person in a nursing home)...so yeah, I'm going with some sort of structural failure.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

iyaayas01 posted:

I'll just add that going off of the top of my head I want to say that the Mass ANG has some of the oldest F-15Cs in the fleet (which is like being the oldest person in a nursing home)...so yeah, I'm going with some sort of structural failure.

Weren't the Cs the ones where the wings fall off or something at high flight cycles? I seem to remember a grounding.

edit: Yep. Bad stringers caused the fuselage of an ANG F-15C forward of the air intakes to fall off in flight in 2007. All aircraft were inspected, repaired, and subsequently released for flight in 2008.

So, say the nose falls off. Is there enough battery and wiring left to declare an emergency? I don't know where the radios are located in an F-15.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So, say the nose falls off. Is there enough battery and wiring left to declare an emergency? I don't know where the radios are located in an F-15.

Now you do.

Click through for readable size. It's a Mudhen, but they're mostly the same except for the CFTs and second seat.

Edit: Oops, forgot to do the linked one. And here's the fighter version:

Both clickable now.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 28, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
"Forward of the intakes" includes the cockpit, so I'm going to go with "... no."

Also, there's no click through?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Looks like #9 is the air radio. ARC-164? Google says ARC-190(V). Whichever. It looked like the front of an Air Radio to me.

So depending on how much residual energy is sitting around, maybe?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

:10bux: says it was a structural issue of some sort.

That was my gut reaction as well.

Edit: There probably would've been some indication of the problem before the airframe gave out. Whether he had time to identify the issue or not is another story. If the cockpit section falls off, its gonna tumble like loving mad and he'll be unconconscious or riding the ejection seat before he has time for a radio call.

Edit2: ARC-190 is an HF radio, 164 is a UHF. I've never heard of an F-15 actually using HF, if they're even still carried. Hell, even on AWACS we almost never used it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 29, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Weren't the Cs the ones where the wings fall off or something at high flight cycles? I seem to remember a grounding.

edit: Yep. Bad stringers caused the fuselage of an ANG F-15C forward of the air intakes to fall off in flight in 2007. All aircraft were inspected, repaired, and subsequently released for flight in 2008.

If the cockpit falls off I'm not sticking around to make an emergency call, I'm punching the gently caress out (assuming I'm still conscious...which is unlikely. The guy in the MO ANG incident is lucky he got out.)

Now, if it's a slightly more progressive/less catastrophic structural failure (say, a vertical or horizontal stab letting go), I could see making an emergency call while trying to see if it's controllable before punching if it turns out it's uncontrollable.

Also F-15Cs aren't the only legacy fighters to have structural issues...the A-10s go re-winged recently (just in time to be retired!) and the F-16s are starting to go through a SLEP to provide among other things structural reinforcement (no money for the avionics focused CAPES upgrade program unfortunately). A bunch of F-16D's were grounded the other day after an immediate action TCTO dropped in response to some longeron cracks. The fleet's old and getting older. About the only legacy fighter that isn't having problems is the Mud Hen, partially because those are, generally speaking, newer airframes, and partially because they were built like tanks.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
edit: ^^^ yeah, SLEP'ed to 2040 on the new wing sets; gets retired because... because.... :( This goes out to all A-10's around the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

I thought they got all the broke-neck 15's sorted out a couple years back?? :confused: Has there been any follow up on this since yesterday, btw? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know how this story ends for him but I'm still curious.

:(

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 29, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iyaayas01 posted:

Now, if it's a slightly more progressive/less catastrophic structural failure (say, a vertical or horizontal stab letting go)

Or a wing, as the IDF have shown.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Duke Chin posted:

edit: ^^^ yeah, SLEP'ed to 2040 on the new wing sets; gets retired because... because.... :( This goes out to all A-10's around the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

Because Congress is logic challenged, is why.

See also, may not be retired (instead we're just going to completely break the back of the tacair fleet and/or the refueling fleet) because Congress is logic challenged and refuses to accept the consequences of their actions.

Duke Chin posted:

I thought they got all the broke-neck 15's sorted out a couple years back?? :confused: Has there been any follow up on this since yesterday, btw? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know how this story ends for him but I'm still curious.

:(

Plenty of other areas that could fail structurally that would still result in catastrophic loss of the aircraft.

ASIP is robust but when you're flying an airframe pushing 30 years old that has spent its entire life pulling 9 G's there's only so much that it's going to catch.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 29, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iyaayas01 posted:

ASIP is robust but when you're flying an airframe pushing 30 years old that has spent its entire life pulling 9 G's there's only so much that it's going to catch.

:iiaca: like the "old lady only drove it to church" vs. "fleet 1-ton pickup" in a car ad. Fighters, like work trucks, are rode hard and put away wet, and occasionally do this:

Makes me a little worried about the F/A-18C pilot I met, flying a pre-Boeing airframe. He said it had 3 times the hours it was designed for on it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 29, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
The pilot in that F-15 mishap has been confirmed as having been killed in the mishap, supposedly he didn't punch.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

iyaayas01 posted:

Plenty of other areas that could fail structurally that would still result in catastrophic loss of the aircraft.

iyaayas01 posted:

The pilot in that F-15 mishap has been confirmed as having been killed in the mishap, supposedly he didn't punch.

Bummer. :( Wonder what he was up to before whatever happened happened...?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I hate hearing of about stuff like this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

I was hoping he was running around evading Limnadians and trying to make calls on his radio/cell phone, but goddamnit.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Duke Chin posted:

Bummer. :( Wonder what he was up to before whatever happened happened...?

Taking it on a ferry flight to New Orleans for upgrades...I've heard reference made to radar upgrades, so NOLA might be where the ANG chose to centralize the effort to upgrade their radars to the V3.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

iyaayas01 posted:

Taking it on a ferry flight to New Orleans for upgrades...I've heard reference made to radar upgrades, so NOLA might be where the ANG chose to centralize the effort to upgrade their radars to the V3.
Well, I meant more specifically on alt/speed/attitude/maneuvers etc. But if it was just a ferry flight he shouldn't have been pushing it very hard. Sad.

Godholio posted:

I was hoping he was running around evading Limnadians and trying to make calls on his radio/cell phone, but goddamnit.
Yeah, same. But they would have snatched 'em up in no time if that were the case.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He shouldn't have been doing ANYTHING, since he'd have been under ATC control on an air route. That's why I was asking about his altitude earlier.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

dissss posted:

The outside rows on the lower deck towards the back of an A380 have zero legroom because the cabin fuselage curves inwards right where your legs need to go. I wouldn't recommend sitting there, its much worse than anywhere on a 777 or similar.

There's an exit row seat on the A320 (or is it 30?...) which is similarly bad. Stupid inflatable slides.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Babby's first turboprop flight.

ATR 72-600

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The only competitor of the OV-10 Bronco to reach flying prototype status, the Convair Charger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3liOIGmUvQ

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Madurai posted:

The only competitor of the OV-10 Bronco to reach flying prototype status, the Convair Charger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3liOIGmUvQ

So apparently the USAF/Navy were fans of Ford at the time, not Mopar. Was there a "Jimmy" proposal?

Also, 90 degree landing flaps and slats. That thing must have the stall speed of a gnat when fully deployed. I wonder if they could've used them like dive bombing airbrakes, like the SBD Dauntless. Also, spoilerons.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Jesus that wing is ugly. Also, I'm pretty sure that was Magneto that climbed into the cockpit at 7:39

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Jesus that wing is ugly. Also, I'm pretty sure that was Magneto that climbed into the cockpit at 7:39

Ugly by design!

Lockheed's CL760 only made it to the mockup stage, and never got a cool car-based name from their marketing department:

Nothing else left the various drawing boards.
Beechcraft:

Grumman, who proposed a tandem-seat version of the OV-1:

Goodyear, who got around the removable-pontoon requirement by building a flying boat:

Douglas:

and Martin:

Together for comparison:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Those wings are all so short! Was one of the requirements that the plane fit in a two-car garage?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Some of those start to look a bit like the Argentinian FMA Pucara, interesting. That upside-down V-tail on the Martin is pretty wild.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ehnus posted:

Those wings are all so short! Was one of the requirements that the plane fit in a two-car garage?

Probably the back of a C-5 Galaxie :v:

But, no, small, light weight aircraft built to be operated from forward airbases and posts like the "side of a mountain" type deals, pretty much like a bush plane (bush fighter/brush fighter). It needs to be able to get into an air fields tighter than a nun's 'habit' pewee soccer field. You don't want too much wing or you'll hit something. The wings are probably a high-lift airfoil (though not necessarily high-efficient) to get the birds off the ground as quick as they can. Thus the Charger's claimed 200-ft ground roll, 500-ft obstacle clearance. That'll get in and out on any landing strip.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
DeHavilland should have stuck some rocket pods on a Beaver.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

YF19pilot posted:

Probably the back of a C-5 Galaxie :v:

But, no, small, light weight aircraft built to be operated from forward airbases and posts like the "side of a mountain" type deals, pretty much like a bush plane (bush fighter/brush fighter). It needs to be able to get into an air fields tighter than a nun's 'habit' pewee soccer field. You don't want too much wing or you'll hit something. The wings are probably a high-lift airfoil (though not necessarily high-efficient) to get the birds off the ground as quick as they can. Thus the Charger's claimed 200-ft ground roll, 500-ft obstacle clearance. That'll get in and out on any landing strip.

Speaking of bush pilots and short takeoffs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWTcCtYl5Cs

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

To be perfectly fair, those planes will take off by accident in a stiff breeze.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ehnus posted:

Close! The LARA specification required takeoffs from a two-lane road. The Bronco went over that limit, but won the competition anyway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ehnus posted:

According to the wikipedia entry for the OV-10 one of the requirements was that the aircraft could be broken down into components and packed into the back of a truck along with a toolkit so it could be transported somewhere and reassembled. Although the mind reels at what scenario they envisioned where you could reach an airfield (or long enough open space for takeoff) with a truck but for some reason not fly the aircraft there in the first place, unless they were intending to basically kamikaze the pilot by taking off from a strip that could not support a later landing.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Geoj posted:

According to the wikipedia entry for the OV-10 one of the requirements was that the aircraft could be broken down into components and packed into the back of a truck along with a toolkit so it could be transported somewhere and reassembled. Although the mind reels at what scenario they envisioned where you could reach an airfield (or long enough open space for takeoff) with a truck but for some reason not fly the aircraft there in the first place, unless they were intending to basically kamikaze the pilot by taking off from a strip that could not support a later landing.

Few air defense systems out there could identify or engage the broken down components of the plane as it was moved across the FLOT by truck. They were redefining air warfare with that brilliant move.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Few air defense systems out there could identify or engage the broken down components of the plane as it was moved across the FLOT by truck. They were redefining air warfare with that brilliant move.

This. Easier to sneak your forward deployed COIN birds into Cambodia and Laos by truck than by flying them and letting the VC know where your secret fields are.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Saw this on the Aviation sub-reddit today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4D6GxkPMgs

I'm assuming that the seawater mixed with the massive amount of poo poo that was expelled out of the pilots and co-pilots anus's left a pretty nasty smell in the cockpit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McDeth posted:

Saw this on the Aviation sub-reddit today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4D6GxkPMgs

I'm assuming that the seawater mixed with the massive amount of poo poo that was expelled out of the pilots and co-pilots anus's left a pretty nasty smell in the cockpit.

At the very least it would be uncomfortable for the rest of the flight with all those bricks in your pants.

That reminds me of one time when we're sitting on deck, #2 for the catapult behind a Hornet, when one of our pilots says, very casually, "wow, that jerk just shot them [the hornet] into the water". Now, in the back of an E-2 we have zero forward visibility; we rely on the pilots to keep up a running commentary as we're taxiing around the flight deck to know where we are and what's happening. So it got very, very quiet for a second before he thinks about his phrasing, and clarifies that the shooter had launched the hornet when the bow was pitched down - our pilot, being a former shooter, considered this bad technique. Yeah, thanks for the small heart attack.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

This. Easier to sneak your forward deployed COIN birds into Cambodia and Laos by truck than by flying them and letting the VC know where your secret fields are.

Wouldn't this still result in a one-way flight though? If their tracking is that good wouldn't your secret airfield be compromised the instant the aircraft takes off or lands?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Safety Dance posted:

To be perfectly fair, those planes will take off by accident in a stiff breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_WmjWAGkLI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Geoj posted:

Wouldn't this still result in a one-way flight though? If their tracking is that good wouldn't your secret airfield be compromised the instant the aircraft takes off or lands?

Not unless the insurgents you're countering have nationwide radar coverage.