Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Rad Tad posted:

why are people "reclaiming" anime avatars I don't get it

the real question you need to ask is is that hotdog in a pretzel roll? i like pretzel rolls.

edit page 220 snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

porkchop_express posted:

the real question you need to ask is is that hotdog in a pretzel roll? i like pretzel rolls.

no :saddowns:

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

its alright you pretty cool anyway

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

should reclaim family guy instead because it's pretty poo poo

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm going to be completely serious for a moment: the fact that all these people, over all these sites, have actually turned the very concept of being nice and inclusive into a tool to insult and dehumanize people who have different beliefs than them is insanely, brutally cool.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

It's really cool to me that they're capable of taking a position like "I think everybody should be equal and have good things for free" and be so offputting and abrasive that an outside observer can look at them and think "Actually, I disagree with you."

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

*insert the dry slapping sounds and gutteral tones as leigh alexander and ben kuchera compete for auditory dominance while masturbating in the same echo chamber*

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VJeff posted:

/v/ pretty much collectively came to the conclusion a couple days ago that if Zoe donated, they wouldn't care.

It's kinda weird. /v/ as a whole is more or less totally past Zoe and is completely zeroed in on the journos. They really wanna go after them, as opposed to this thread, which is focusing more on Zoe 'cause that's where the :lol: is.

Judging by all the links I've seen to the "journalists" writing articles about how gamers are an endangered species and putting up notices that they are now She-Ra Misogynist Haters Clubs, the :lol: may yet lay with their increasing idiocy.

Rad Tad posted:

why are people "reclaiming" anime avatars I don't get it

Because they felt that that there was an increasing trend of the hated gamer tweets they were seeing coming from people with anime avatars. Guess it's time to show those misogynists.

So basically because they dumb.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Real Talk, because Google can't answer my question it seems: Is Zoe going to be at PAX Prime this weekend?

Google shows conflicting reports. Last I heard was that she said something about still being there, but on PAX Prime website I can't find a corresponding panel.

I just wanna be at the right place at the right time this weekend to laugh my rear end off at whatever either side does.

If nothing else, it seems Kotaku has a panel on Sunday that should be a barrel of laughs.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Are some nerds doing some kind of protest, you'll probably see it on your way in

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Real Talk, because Google can't answer my question it seems: Is Zoe going to be at PAX Prime this weekend?

Depends on whether you donate or not. You know she was mugged tomorrow, right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder how much money 5 Guys in Seattle is going to make during PAX.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

Are some nerds doing some kind of protest, you'll probably see it on your way in

I think this PAX is going to see all sorts of weird poo poo happening. Gaming is an overflowing poo poo-barrel full of lovely poo poo right now, and PAX is going to start ladling that stuff out to all comers.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Gaming is an overflowing poo poo-barrel full of lovely poo poo

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

You know your industry is a joke when the big names get together and get drunk instead of getting together and doing blow.

We get it, you're stuck in a constant state of adolescence. But nobody outside the industry is going to take you seriously if your idea of a good time can be bought at a gas station.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Google shows conflicting reports. Last I heard was that she said something about still being there, but on PAX Prime website I can't find a corresponding panel.

I just wanna be at the right place at the right time this weekend to laugh my rear end off at whatever either side does.

If nothing else, it seems Kotaku has a panel on Sunday that should be a barrel of laughs.

According to her, she will be at PAX Prime.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

luncheon meat posted:

Depends on whether you donate or not. You know she was mugged tomorrow, right?

Haha, I scared my cat and developed a game and published it laughing at this then got a request to plan a Game Jams Jam

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Aaaaaaaahahahahaha oh my god we're still talking about this

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Froghammer posted:

It doesn't even go that far. The Vox Populi are basically a bunch of jingoistic terrorists that are portrayed as no better than the Founders. Daisy Fitzroy tries to murder a child in front of you. The game ends with you killing a bunch of angry minorities in droves via a remote control robot.

Maybe it was trying to make a point that long-standing oppression can (and often does) lead to otherism on the part of the oppressed, meaning once they get in power the cycle continues (meet the new boss, same as the old boss), but mostly it just came off as awkward. I chalk up the last third of Bioshock Infinite two being a victim of several painfully obvious script re-writes because it was painfully obvious to me that Take Two didn't have any loving clue how to properly end the thing.

Wow. People still don't understand what Bioshock Infinite was about?

The point of Bioshock Infinite is that you should not play Bioshock Infinite.
It sets up a continuous, over-the-top cycle of violence/justification that only ends when you decide to stop playing.
That is to say, only legitimate end comes from the player saying "I don't want to do this anymore," and never playing it, or another worthless FPS ever again.
In this respect, the boring, repetitive gameplay is actually a feature. Genius!

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Ork of Fiction posted:

It sets up a continuous, over-the-top cycle of violence/justification that only ends when you decide to stop playing.
That is to say, only legitimate end comes from the player saying "I don't want to do this anymore," and never playing it, or another worthless FPS ever again.

I think you're confusing Bioshock Infinite with Spec Ops: The Line.

Understandable since both involved you killing yourself at the end.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

video games are for children :confused:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Real Talk: Guy did a poo poo job explaining what the hell he was getting at tho, which sucks because it's an excellent point. Eventually developers will have to challenge the consumer with critical thinking. Eventually the video game medium will need a radical movement or drastic shift that changes our perspective on games. It has been on that verge for a while with games like Spec Ops and The Walking Dead showing just how much of an impact a game can leave when you challenge the audience. Even that small scene in Modern Warfare with the nuclear strike left a memorable imprint in the minds of its players.

At this point, it should have been the developers and the industry that challenged gamers (ugh), not the other way around.

That's not really how things work in practice though. In the end all developers are going to make whatever sells. This may sound crazy, but sex in games sells. Violence in games sells. And most of all fun in games sells. Of course fun is completely subjective. If consumers en mass decide they have to be challenged by games and think critically then most games will change. I guess the exception is a game like Depression Quest where it doesn't need to be fun to be successful since the "developer" used sex and social justice to make it a success.

Just look at how sales numbers shift platform and game type development. Several years ago AAA games like Call of Duty on consoles were where all the focus was at. Today you have analysts declaring that console gaming is dying/dead because mobile is where the easy/growing money is. And PC gaming has moved from being "totally dead and gone" to overtaking consoles for "serious gaming". It's all about where people want to spend their money.

Sorry for the serious post in a Cuckquest thread. *farts*

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Real Talk: Guy did a poo poo job explaining what the hell he was getting at tho, which sucks because it's an excellent point. Eventually developers will have to challenge the consumer with critical thinking. Eventually the video game medium will need a radical movement or drastic shift that changes our perspective on games. It has been on that verge for a while with games like Spec Ops and The Walking Dead showing just how much of an impact a game can leave when you challenge the audience. Even that small scene in Modern Warfare with the nuclear strike left a memorable imprint in the minds of its players.

At this point, it should have been the developers and the industry that challenged gamers (ugh), not the other way around.

Tons of games, like nearly every SRPG for example, already do challenge the consumer with critical thinking. Games like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings and X Com require a lot more critical thinking than stuff like Spec Ops. I think Sec Ops and The Walking Dead are trying to provoke an emotional response more than they're trying to get people to think. But I don't think games should even be trying to provoke an emotional response. Movies, books and TV already do that perfectly well. Games should be games. They should be about mechanics, not about story and emotion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tobias Grant posted:

I think you're confusing Bioshock Infinite with Spec Ops: The Line.

Understandable since both involved you killing yourself at the end.

At least Spec Ops had a good story and more than one ending though.

(seriously though I love Spec Ops but that "THE lovely GAMEPLAY'S A FEATURE :supaburn:" shtick bugs the crap outta me. no, guys, it just wasn't very good)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"you're the bad guy because you didn't stop playing when you could have" is such a dumb gimmick its like cracka plz i mowed down 30 grandmas in saints row before i started playing so shut the gently caress up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
dammit we're getting into a serious and potentially enlightening discussion about game design pull up cuckquest thread PULL UP

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Get this stupid games discussion out of here and lets get back to the cucking :twisted:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VJeff posted:

potentially enlightening

*rips a big fart and smells it& mmmmmmmmm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gabe is basically modern Hitler.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's a fake.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
you loving nerds

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Good point. After all, that's exactly what happened with books and cinema, so games are next.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Gyges posted:

I wonder how much money 5 Guys in Seattle is going to make during PAX.

The best possible outcome of all of this would be if (vegan) Zoe got pelted with Five Guys burgers by angry nerds at this PAX thing and someone uploads it to YouTube. Then again being greasy doesn't seem to bother her that much?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The gamergate hashtag is so easy to tweak. Sadly, I haven't gotten any death threats yet.

Ork of Fiction posted:

So basically E.Y.E. with all the cool guns and powers replaced with boring poo poo.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Ork of Fiction posted:

Feminists ruined Quake Live

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
are people still mad over retarded identity politics and being asked for some standards in their clickbaits?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Hey guys, is Mel Mudkiper still posting in this thread, because he's very boring and bad and I hope he's stopped

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

https://vine.co/v/MLW3uhmnqOz

Fluo
May 25, 2007

porkchop_express posted:

its alright you pretty cool anyway

I'd say he's pretty rad. :v:

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

E1M1 posted:

Hey guys, is Mel Mudkiper still posting in this thread, because he's very boring and bad and I hope he's stopped

*nods respectfully to you*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/29/the-sjw-effect-welcome-to-the-end-of-the-world/

• Locked thread