Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well the rules aren't great but the base game itself isn't exactly difficult to learn how to play. I think it's actually harder to learn the game by reading the rules than it is to actually play it, since there isn't exactly a lot of chrome to the game. Learning the combat is easy, supply rules are easy compared to many other war games, there are a couple of weird rules (like for example preemptive capturing of forts), but apart from that it is pretty simple compared to many other wargames. Even when you add stuff like the political system and the full-game victory point system, the difficulty doesn't get to the level of most wargames.

The issue with Maria is that you really need someone to read the rulebook, understand it, then throw it away and teach the other 2 players.

EDIT: Take into consideration that I feel it is relatively simple because of my own personal experience, which might be more than a slightly skewed. I think it would be comparable to khemet/eclipse etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ChiTownEddie posted:

If you had to get one BSG expansion, which would it be?

Context: I am trading BSG for my friend's copy of Mage Knight (he didn't like it) and want to give him an expansion too as a bday present.

Daybreak. 100%. Ignore the other two, but tell him he might want to investigate Pegasus.

CellBlock posted:

Exodus, probably. Pegasus is fun, as it adds treachery and the Pegasus ship, but it also has New Caprica, that most groups never use because it sucks.

Exodus adds conflicted loyalties, which are awesome, the Cylon Fleet board, which is awesome, and the Ionian Nebula, which I've only played with once and it didn't do much, but it's easy to ignore.

Daybreak adds a whole bunch of complicated stuff like missions and the mutiny cards, which are pretty cool, but sort of require the other expansions, too, and in my group, where we're usually teaching the game to at least one of the players, it's a lot of hassle.

This is awful awful awful advice. With the exception of the CAG, nothing in Exodus is remotely balanced and is basically the antithesis of fun. Pegasus added a number of crucial errata, plastic Basestars and balanced characters. Daybreak adds great characters, better Cylon Leader mechanics and Treachery that matters.

Also, it's really interesting to me that you're saying having the Ionian Nebula is fine because you can ignore it, but having New Caprica is bad because you have to ignore it. Especially when the Ionian Nebula is more of a mess than New Caprica.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Another vote for Daybreak. Half of Pegasus is good, most of Exodus sucks, I haven't found anything to dislike about Daybreak yet.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
BSG - Aside from Pegasus, the expansions are basically for more characters. We usually play the base game + Pegasus without any of the final five or whatever goofy poo poo that's tacked on. Pegasus is neat since it adds a really sweet ship and fun stuff for the psylons. Haven't tried Daybreak.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

As I've said before in the BSG thread: Burn Exodus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

As I've said before in the BSG thread: Burn Exodus.
Not an empty quote.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If I ever make a third BSG thread, that's going to be the subtitle.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I like Pegasus, but after playing with the Cylon Fleet board, I don't think I'd ever play without it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Y'all should play Maria for an example of crazily tense combat resolved by cards. Basically, the board is divided into zones which have one of the 4 standard card symbols on them (heart, clubs, spades, diamonds). When you fight, you have to play the suit that matches the area your army is in. Combat is simple: you work out the difference in strength between your army and the opposing army (this is kept secret before then). So, for example, if I have a strength 3 army against 6, it would be -3 against me and I would get to play first. So, if I played a 6, it would go +3 in my favour and it would be my opponent's turn to play. If you can't or don't want to play, the person who lost loses strength in his army equal to how much he lost and has to retreat that number of locations as well.

How does Maria compare to Friedrich, if you've happened to play both?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

CellBlock posted:

I like Pegasus, but after playing with the Cylon Fleet board, I don't think I'd ever play without it.

Since we have a BSG Thread, I'm going to say that we take the BSG discussion over there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lunsku posted:

Haven't tried Friedrich but I've heard they are similar. Can't really make a comparison though :shrug:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If you've never played BSG before, there's nothing wrong with buying and playing the expansions in order. We're all jaded now but we enjoyed each expansion for a while. That being said Daybreak is the best along with a few small parts of Pegasus. I still kind of like the conflicted loyalties and Final Five loyalty cards from Exodus, you could easily throw in one or two just to change things up or raise the difficulty slightly for the humans.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lunsku posted:

They're really, really super similar, but:

Improvements:
- In Friedrich playing as French was really loving boring, there is no truly "minor" player this time around.
- There is a bit extra stuff tacked on (politics, hussars), but it's pretty cool.
- No player elimination.

Minor ehs:
- You sum up your VPs at the end of each year and sum all years at the end. Which works well, but lacks a certain sense of drama found in Friedrich.
- It's possible to make it a bit unfun due to metagaming: basically there is one player who controls Prussia (fighting against Austria) and the Pragmatic Army (against France) in the other theater. If everyone plays with their roles, stuff is fine. But, if the so-called schizophrenic player decides he might instead stop opposing France to let it fully engage Austria on the other front and just outrace them to victory, the Austrian player is just hosed.

Objectively speaking, Maria is probably better, but as a major Old Fritz fanboy, I have a soft spot for the first game (though I'd argue it's better with 3 players, with one controlling both Russia and France).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played Glass Road? The resource wheel was a neat idea I want to explore more, but the ever-rotating supply of buildings in the middle were really hard to keep track of. It was also a little reminiscent of deck builders like Ascension, where you can't really make a plan effectively, because you don't know what's in the deck or what's going to actually come on your turn.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 28, 2014

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I have seen someone lose their entire fleet, 20+ minerals, to bad luck. Twice. In the same game. He still tied for the win on points due to political play upon the table's perceptions, only losing on the resource tiebreaker.

That's not to say that Eclipse is perfect, because it isn't, but there's a lot of room for recovery.

I actually won the game where that happened to me, but that outcome was really upsetting in the moment. I like Eclipse, I'm just saying I can understand why some people don't.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

Has anyone played Glass Road? The resource wheel was a neat idea I want to explore more, but the ever-rotating supply of buildings in the middle were really hard to keep track of. It was also a little reminiscent of deck builders like Ascension, where you can't really make a plan effectively, because you don't know what's in the deck or what's going to actually come on your turn.

I stayed away from it after it managed to escape playtesting with an infinite resource combo intact.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

cbirdsong posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. I think it's a bit easier and faster then his other games. I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to fill the empty building spots, rather then emptying them all out and replacing them with new ones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Malloreon posted:

I stayed away from it after it managed to escape playtesting with an infinite resource combo intact.

The infinite resource combo won't be possible to create in most games and you'll gimp yourself if you try and fail.

I can't say I am a fan of Glass Road, though, as it is too random for my tastes.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Jedit posted:

The infinite resource combo won't be possible to create in most games and you'll gimp yourself if you try and fail.

I can't say I am a fan of Glass Road, though, as it is too random for my tastes.

Also it's not infinite since you can't have more than 7 of a resource anyway.

Edit: This is somewhat pedantic, but it matters because just being able to build up resources doesn't in any way guarantee you enough points to win, since even a fully stocked resource wheel could definitely be worth fewer points than an intelligent building strategy.

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 28, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i'm a bit confused about good ol' Stronghold and the way the invader deploys the troops. The writing seems easy enough "move 5/7 dudes up 1 space closer to the wall, from anywhere and everywhere" but the example it gives still doesn't explain it well enough. Some help here?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Well, played Terra Mystica for the first time today. My verdict: really good fun, but just a little bit over the top. The order at the end was: Nomads, Mermaids, Engineers, Giants, Witches with me playing mermaids.

Pros: a very close game - I ended up 2nd by 2 points because I didn't pay enough attention to the cult track, but I completely dominated on land as mermaids.

Had a good sense of that worker placement "just need one more worker/money/power" thing, seemed well balanced in terms of stuff to sink your points into.

Beautiful bits - a huge amount of stuff to do and to play with, a very attractive game overall.

Negatives: Arguably too many bits - looks overwhelming when you first see it, tricky to keep track of, and a small to midsized tree died to make each game.

Races felt a little unbalanced, but I concede this was probably firstgameitis. The giants in particular seemed a little hard done by.

The guy explaining the rules took 35m, and we congratulated him on doing it so quickly given the amount he had to cover.

I made several rules errors - small things, but probably enough to cost me the game. My own fault ultimately.

So yeah, good fun. Not sure my normal group would really be up for it though - they balk at Agricola, so all the extra stuff... yeah, probably not :(

One question: no one upgraded their digging until round 6, and only I upgraded my sailing (for mermaid fun) before then too. Is this common practice or newbie error?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i'm a bit confused about good ol' Stronghold and the way the invader deploys the troops. The writing seems easy enough "move 5/7 dudes up 1 space closer to the wall, from anywhere and everywhere" but the example it gives still doesn't explain it well enough. Some help here?

I'm just surprised someone has played this game recently. I bought it years ago and never managed to get it to the table, always wanted to though because it's a great concept.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's a great concept and a great game. The idea of an epic seige falls away a bit though as soon as you realize that while the game gives you 10 turns to get through the walls. Really it's only like a 6 or 7,maybe 8 turn game unless the defender is absolutely terrible since they are stealing VPs from you every turn (defender starts with 4 i believe and invader 10) and to add to that defender gets a bonus on turn 6 if they haven't moved the honor guard (2 dudes that stand around doing nothing) the whole game. So unless you can win on your own bonuses (included sacrificing goblins to the blood god :blood:) there's not much point to playing the last few turns.

But it's still great fun and i wish i didn't have such boring friends so i could play it more as well :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

blackmongoose posted:

Also it's not infinite since you can't have more than 7 of a resource anyway.

Edit: This is somewhat pedantic, but it matters because just being able to build up resources doesn't in any way guarantee you enough points to win, since even a fully stocked resource wheel could definitely be worth fewer points than an intelligent building strategy.

It doesn't matter that you can only store seven of a resource because you can instantly recover anything you spend. As such you can follow an intelligent building strategy and have a full resource wheel.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

EBag posted:

I know what you're saying, personally I like chucking some dice, maybe it comes from playing Risk growing up and Eclipse is similar to that but much better. I don't find card tactics like Kemet/Game of Thrones that exciting because it's just kinda like you play your card and I play mine, we compare the numbers and then someone wins. There's no excitement really, it's missing that random element that creates a lot of tension when you're the underdog and you come out on top. Some kind of mix of the two would be great, where it maintains that drama and excitement but has more tactical decisions, though I'm not sure how it would work.
I find the older I get, the less I like dice-chucking. I don't know why; maybe because it's obligatory in most games. There's no decisions involved, you just aim for the best odds, and if you lose you roll your eyes and say "oh Lord, hosed again, ho ho ho."

Tekopo posted:

Y'all should play Maria for an example of crazily tense combat resolved by cards. Basically, the board is divided into zones which have one of the 4 standard card symbols on them (heart, clubs, spades, diamonds). When you fight, you have to play the suit that matches the area your army is in. Combat is simple: you work out the difference in strength between your army and the opposing army (this is kept secret before then). So, for example, if I have a strength 3 army against 6, it would be -3 against me and I would get to play first. So, if I played a 6, it would go +3 in my favour and it would be my opponent's turn to play. If you can't or don't want to play, the person who lost loses strength in his army equal to how much he lost and has to retreat that number of locations as well.

The genius thing about it is that the most important thing by far is knowing when to quit. You can decide to stop playing at any time and sometimes it is incredibly important to end a battle where you only lose by a relatively low margin in order to not be completely destroyed. The game can still potentially be extremely swingy though.
I would love to try a game like Maria but with a sub-2 hour playtime. Maybe that would be impossible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VlaadaCon writeup! http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16739686#16739686

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

echoMateria posted:

Designers realized they made various minor errors and released a huge number of errata to clarify and fix those in the base game, as a result Skull & Shackles has better worded cards overall. (Cool residents of BGG prepared these errata as stickers too, so if you have Raise of the Runelords, you can just print and appy those to your game.)

Do you happen to have a link for the stickers kicking around? I checked on the BGG page for the game in Links.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Deathlove posted:

Do you happen to have a link for the stickers kicking around? I checked on the BGG page for the game in Links.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/99188/card-errata-drop-ins-sleeves

I'd recommend skipping the Blessing of the Gods fix, the wording change there isn't crucial enough to worth bothering applying stickers to 50-ish cards.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
If anyone else got to play Hyperborea, I'd love to hear more about it. It looks like a slimmed down fantasy version of Eclipse, but after reading the rules I wonder about how much player interaction it has. In my experience, pre-determined conflict tends to lead to very static gameplay. Anyone else seen the game in action?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Someone has described a game for me to see if I can identify it because they don't know the name. Any ideas?

'I remember seeing a game where the map was made of tiles, but you could add or take away tiles from the rows and the whole row would slide across and change the map. It might have had something to do with a dragon'

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fat Turkey posted:

'I remember seeing a game where the map was made of tiles, but you could add or take away tiles from the rows and the whole row would slide across and change the map. It might have had something to do with a dragon'
The only game of that description I can think of is Room 25, but that doesn't sound like what that person was talking about.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

De Betoverde Doolhof? That commercial was everywhere when I was young, though I don't know if it was released outside the Netherlands. The name means The Enchanted Labyrinth, it is a 7x7 map made out of tiles, and you slide in new tiles to move rows and columns around. There is a dragon somewhere there you should avoid.

Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBoTrKszcE
Boring explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RgGrtbcWks

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BioTech posted:

De Betoverde Doolhof? That commercial was everywhere when I was young, though I don't know if it was released outside the Netherlands. The name means The Enchanted Labyrinth, it is a 7x7 map made out of tiles, and you slide in new tiles to move rows and columns around. There is a dragon somewhere there you should avoid.

Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBoTrKszcE
Boring explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RgGrtbcWks

I think it was, I had a copy of this game when I was a kid. Mind you, I have Dutch relatives so I might have gotten it from them(I'm American), but I don't think I did.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Boardgamegeek has dozens of alternate names in different languages and shots of an English box.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1219/amazeing-labyrinth

The English one was the aMAZEing Labyrinth.

There was even a Hello Kitty version....

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fat Turkey posted:

Someone has described a game for me to see if I can identify it because they don't know the name. Any ideas?

Drakon - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23107/drakon-third-edition ?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
It's one of the BIG games up there with monopoly and risk, at least in Italy(Il Labirinto Magico/The Magic Labyrinth). It was good because it was really different, it's basically a collectathlon with no dices or cards. You just plug in your tile and roam around wherever walls would allow.
I saw dozens of boxes in a store just yesterday.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If anyone else got to play Hyperborea, I'd love to hear more about it. It looks like a slimmed down fantasy version of Eclipse, but after reading the rules I wonder about how much player interaction it has. In my experience, pre-determined conflict tends to lead to very static gameplay. Anyone else seen the game in action?
I'm playing Hyperborea with some friends tomorrow and will report back.

It appears that the only real player interaction is using the Attack action to remove another player's miniature. This isn't really a pure area control game; it's more of a Euro with a minor conflict element (kind of like a tamer version of Cyclades?).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Amazeing Labyrinth is awesome :colbert:. I've played it lots with a couple of friends, and it's really a good light/casual game until you get to the endgame, where it devolves into "prevent everyone else from winning", which means that it drags out without change towards the end. But other than that, it's cool.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I have sent an email to my friend suggesting both the aMAZEing labyrinth and Drakon. The former seems too old, I doubt he'd have seen such an old game and told me about it, and I'll in the UK and I've never heard of it before here. Drazon sounds like it might be more likely. But we shall see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Perhaps Dungeon Twister fulfills 75% of that description.

• Locked thread