Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
How's about going hog wild and giving them 5 starting dominion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

jBrereton posted:

How's about going hog wild and giving them 5 starting dominion?

then they are just non combat titans. like thats dom 10 for 55 points. Thats dumb as gently caress

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"Guys! Guys! I know we worship that appallingly powerful animate statue that has walked the earth since time immemorial, gorged on sacrificial blood, but check it out! This guy can wake up vine men! Let's worship him instead!"

Higher dom would be more fitting for the immobile-places-of-worship/titan pretenders. Diversity and flexibility is supposed to be the human's game.

There's no way for pretender gods to give national spells, is there? That'd be pretty cool.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

scalded schlong posted:

Diversity and flexibility is supposed to be the human's game.

There's no way for pretender gods to give national spells, is there? That'd be pretty cool.

Unfortunately, no. That would be a great ability for them, but the closest we can get is for them to be able to autosummon or actively-summon special units.

If I were trying to enhance the human pretenders, I would go deeper into that route by actually statting up special elites to go along with them instead of just tacking on regular summons.

EG: Elemental resistant knights for the archmage, armored yeti soldiers for the Frost Father, and spectral warrior maidens for the Enchantress.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 28, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Jabarto posted:

Awesomeish Gods gives them a lot of low-level paths and/or large path boosts, so they actually fulfill their role of being the best/most diverse mages at a low cost, but making large blesses inefficient since they don't have many "real" points in magic. I think it works really well.

It doesn't actually, because all people want is giant blesses. I've only ever seen two people pick one of the human pretenders in awesomeishgods, and one was kitfox. Awesomeish gods is garbage

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well the #masterritualist and the #schoolbonus tags do exist in modding.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

amuayse posted:

Well the #masterritualist and the #schoolbonus tags do exist in modding.

just guessing, ritual range and spell discounts?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

jsoh posted:

just guessing, ritual range and spell discounts?

#masterrit <value>
Pathboost for the purpose of casting rituals. A
monster with this ability can cast rituals that
would require <value> higher magic paths than it
actually has. A negative value makes the
monster worse at casting rituals.

#foorange
Foo magic rituals cast by the monster have an
increased range.

#foocost
All rituals of the Foo school cast in this
province cost <bonus> % less to cast.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 28, 2014

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

amuayse posted:

Try not to attack lizard (curse), amazon (evo magic and skelespam), dark vine, heavy cav, or tier 2/3 thrones with a solo pretender without any magic. Barbarian provinces are give or take.

longdead horsemen can also be unpleasant

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

also be careful with empty provinces, because they might just be a a8 mage with 15 gems and a a4 friend.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

scalded schlong posted:

"Guys! Guys! I know we worship that appallingly powerful animate statue that has walked the earth since time immemorial, gorged on sacrificial blood, but check it out! This guy can wake up vine men! Let's worship him instead!"
Yeah or some guy shows up and does some miracles and poo poo and is relatable-to, unlike some rock or fountain or other equally esoteric thing.

Most of the major religions in the world are human-fronted, even if that hypothetically misses the point of the holy book or alleged original precepts of the faith.

quote:

Higher dom would be more fitting for the immobile-places-of-worship/titan pretenders. Diversity and flexibility is supposed to be the human's game.
But that doesn't actually ever happen, does it?

Plenty of people take Titans because they provide two or three nation-specific useful paths, a pretender that doesn't die to trivial damage but can still walk around, and reasonable domstrength. A good all-round choice.

There are other people that take and often imprison immobile pretenders, especially when they have X3 or X2X1 that might be useful for a bless, big global, or forging things. If you have a really good plan, this is an excellent choice.

No fucker picks the human pretenders, because having really low paths and bad scales to compensate for Dom 6 or really 7 being necessary on a pretty vulnerable pretender isn't useful to any nation. Changing that to good scales and mobility (albeit on a frail chassis) but still with limited access to high-level magic might be the shot in the arm they need.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Lobster mage was pretty popular in Awesome Gods in Dom 3, thanks to his +6 path boost.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Most of the major religions in the world are human-fronted

Those would be the prophets of those religions, in general, not the deities themselves.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Most of the major religions in the world are human-fronted, even if that hypothetically misses the point of the holy book or alleged original precepts of the faith.

None of the major religions in the world have an actual physical god that you can go talk to, in Dominions terms all the major religions in the world are worshipping Imprisoned pretenders so we only see the prophets, who are of course human because unlike in the Dominions world on Earth your choice of sentient creatures are Humans, Humans or Humans.

I can, however, say with some authority that if a giant slab of basalt rose up in the middle of Sydney and started issuing mental commands and employing magical spells most of Australia would probably convert to the Monolith pretty quickly: certainly everyone in Sydney would.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Neruz posted:

None of the major religions in the world have an actual physical god that you can go talk to, in Dominions terms all the major religions in the world are worshipping Imprisoned pretenders so we only see the prophets, who are of course human because unlike in the Dominions world on Earth your choice of sentient creatures are Humans, Humans or Humans.

I can, however, say with some authority that if a giant slab of basalt rose up in the middle of Sydney and started issuing mental commands and employing magical spells most of Australia would probably convert to the Monolith pretty quickly: certainly everyone in Sydney would.

gently caress off, Salamander Jesus is the only real god.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm playing test games and I'm having trouble working this out. Does the spell Horror Seed work?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lord Windy posted:

I'm playing test games and I'm having trouble working this out. Does the spell Horror Seed work?

Yes and exceptionally well, but it does take several turns before anything visible starts happening.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Those would be the prophets of those religions, in general, not the deities themselves.
Without turning this into a dumb theological back-and-forth, when what a big part of what your religion actually venerates is what the prophet got up to, they become at least as important as this notion of a God that causes floods and so on but is largely unrelatable-to. Like their story is what's interesting and what is aspired to be like.

Anyway, mechanically it might be interesting at least as an experiment. I'll do some coding up later in the day and see if it's a good fix.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

jBrereton posted:

Without turning this into a dumb theological back-and-forth, when what a big part of what your religion actually venerates is what the prophet got up to, they become at least as important as this notion of a God that causes floods and so on but is largely unrelatable-to. Like their story is what's interesting and what is aspired to be like.

There's really no reason to assume that the actual daily practice of religion in Dominionsworld isn't like this too, though, at least once the dust has settled and all the gods are either on a higher plane or locked in Tartarus. In terms of Dom 4 structure, the human pretenders aren't teaching that they are the students of an omnipotent god - they are teaching that they, themselves, are the top of the chain. You could maybe argue that it's something like Buddhism where the archmage's teachings are (among other things) that his learning is the highest ideal to aspire to, though.

(Christianity has a very small Titan, not a human pretender - son of a previous Pantokrator and all that.)

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Without turning this into a dumb theological back-and-forth...

Too late. I liked my 2D Internet Pixel Dick God Simulator better without the weird pseudo-intellectual theological discussion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There should be a pretender chassis of that weird japanese dick-chariot thing from the persona games.

Or maybe just as a summon.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

goatface posted:

There should be a pretender chassis of that weird japanese dick-chariot thing from the persona games.

Looks like a pretty legit pretender chassis to me.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

goatface posted:

I thought Mara was already available to the Hindu nations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

goatface posted:

Mara is a Buddhist demon of temptation, but I'm pretty surprised there isn't a Mara based Pretender chassis. His dominion could spawn Succubi to represent his daughters.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
All dick chariots aside, here's a thing that makes the Dom 1 Rainbow pretenders Dom 5. Doesn't have a mod picture yet.

It's only a kilobyte, and you might find it interesting; the Oracle and Fountain of Blood are still cheaper dom 10 chassis' than the 50 point Rainbows (which includes the Great Sage and gemgenning Enchantress), and are about equal in cost with a 25-point rainbow like either the +elemental or +sorcerous mages.

I'd still take a titan or imprisoned immobile X3/X2X1 a lot of the time even with this change, but it does make your squishy human pretenders kinda viable instead of just being a new player who wants to forge/cast everything trap.

No doubt have missed some obscure one, but it does make the national Great Warlock, Arch Seraph, Alchemist, Bitch Queen and Maharishi pretenders dom 5. Didn't touch the Dom 2 ones.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 31, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Anyone got any decent mileage out of using clockwork horrors and mechanical men?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

amuayse posted:

Anyone got any decent mileage out of using clockwork horrors and mechanical men?

they are really good at standing in front of poo poo because they cant rout because they are mindless and fall asleep after 4 turns or whatever.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

amuayse posted:

Yeah I have gotten decent mileage from mechanical men.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here's an update for the Dom 5 Rainbows thing - it's a very minor fix for the Bitch Queen (her second shape isn't the same Crone as the other Crone, and I forgot to give it Dom 5 too, so it kept her at Dom 1).

Just put this anywhere before the final #end of the .dm file, or redownload it, because I updated it on Mediafire, too

#selectmonster 402 ; Bitch Queen's Crone Shape
#startdom 5
#end

Seems like it's had a fair few downloads, are people finding it makes a good change?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jBrereton posted:

Here's an update for the Dom 5 Rainbows thing - it's a very minor fix for the Bitch Queen (her second shape isn't the same Crone as the other Crone, and I forgot to give it Dom 5 too, so it kept her at Dom 1).

Just put this anywhere before the final #end of the .dm file, or redownload it, because I updated it on Mediafire, too

#selectmonster 402 ; Bitch Queen's Crone Shape
#startdom 5
#end

Seems like it's had a fair few downloads, are people finding it makes a good change?

I have to admit, I don't like the idea much. High dominion and low magic skills is the exact opposite of what the human pretenders are supposed to be. That said, you've created a certain niche with the high-mobility-good-scales thing that doesn't currently exist. It might just work well enough to overlook it. I'll give your file a try.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jabarto posted:

I have to admit, I don't like the idea much. High dominion and low magic skills is the exact opposite of what the human pretenders are supposed to be. That said, you've created a certain niche with the high-mobility-good-scales thing that doesn't currently exist. It might just work well enough to overlook it. I'll give your file a try.

Yeah, the theme of human pretenders is supposed to be guys that just have taken the first step to divine-hood. They are supposed to have low dominion score to represent that, they are still more mortals than anything else and I suppose they should compensate with more temples and priests (problem is how hard is to do that ingame), being that a very human way to expand your newly founded religion. In exchange, maybe the new magic path cost should be even lower, 5 instead of 10 and at least have that Pretender niche : pure rainbow pretenders.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, the theme of human pretenders is supposed to be guys that just have taken the first step to divine-hood. They are supposed to have low dominion score to represent that, they are still more mortals than anything else and I suppose they should compensate with more temples and priests (problem is how hard is to do that ingame), being that a very human way to expand your newly founded religion. In exchange, maybe the new magic path cost should be even lower, 5 instead of 10 and at least have that Pretender niche : pure rainbow pretenders.

It would be nice if more nations had out-of-fort recruits, especially the priests. If you could compensate by low dominion by recruiting a lot of priests(requiring plenty of gold), that would be a more viable strategy. Problem is that you require all forts to churn out mages usually.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember, is it possible for commanders to autospawn other commanders? If so, human pretenders might be fixed by providing more, well, diversity. A human pretender could spawn a 1-in-path every 3 to 4 turns or so, through "mentoring". Maybe with research penalty to compensate for free mages.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jabarto posted:

To be fair, the Bitch Queen isn't necessarily any more human than a Dragon, since dragons do have the whole transform into a human thing as well.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

I can't remember, is it possible for commanders to autospawn other commanders?
As far as I know, that isn't possible, and I don't think you can kludge your way around it using #xpshape or something like it, either, because a creature is always assumed to be Just A Creature unless specifically summoned or recruited as a commander.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Could do a Gift of Reason clone accessible at research level 0 - can you limit what units can cast ritual spells? I know you can have spells require certain magic sites (c.f. Agartha) but I dunno if you can say "only the Great Enchantress can cast this spell".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

scalded schlong posted:

Could do a Gift of Reason clone accessible at research level 0 - can you limit what units can cast ritual spells?
Not as far as I know. You also can't specify sites for spells to be castable-at if they're modded, so that option is out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Could they "Summon allies" to produce commanders?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There are basically 3 ways to get commanders on the strategic map:

- Recruiting them.
- Having them as the #damage of an #effect 10021 ritual.
- Gift of Reason/Divine Name.

Plus events.

Now they made events modifiable and changed nothing else, I'm pretty sure you could guarantee a commander spawning if there was a specific unit in a province, and that would be one way to do it by pretenders.

• Locked thread