Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

So I think I hosed up my run. I have 10 Nadia souls, no wedges left, and one Nadia soul remains and that's beside the Fume Knight. I literally can't damage him fast enough to counteract the healing, am I hosed?

Just keep him away from the healing spots. Though there are only 12 pieces of that soul so you must have at dealt with at least a couple. I think the last two wedges are from Fume himself and the boss you unlock for killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just keep him away from the healing spots. Though there are only 12 pieces of that soul so you must have at dealt with at least a couple. I think the last two wedges are from Fume himself and the boss you unlock for killing him.

You only get one from him. If you break every maiden you can before you get to the FK you'll have to deal with a single maiden. If there are two there, then you missed a wedge somewhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CruzerZERO posted:

I'm with you on that. I've gotten two characters through the DLC and I can't stop using that katana. I didn't even like katanas to begin with!

Majestic Greatsword Users: How do you make it work in your favor for pvp? I have better luck baiting people into the jump that don't expect it, but every part of the moveset is sooo slow. If I end up using a fast mainhand weapon I just end up using it the whole fight instead of the powerstance swings. Also you can't stab yourself to death after killing another player like the dlc katana. :sigh:

One hand it and wait for them to attack. If they try to get behind you, do the one handed LT (horizontal spin). Anything else, one handed LB. I've never hit anyone with the two handed vertical flip. It's slower than the claymore with its normal attacks, though, and a Greatsword can hit you just before you hit them, strangely.

e: When I get to that point, how can I summon dudes into the ashen mist heart memory in the dlc? Would it be the set of graves on the left or the right at the start? Or could I just summon my co-op partner after we're both in the memory?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 29, 2014

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
I just got invaded at the Bastille by a guy called KILLING THE BLACKSMITH. I was hoping the name was nothing to do with McDuff but nope. Hes also pretty handy with insta-curse pots. Keep those saves backed up people, these guys are getting worse/better

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

e: When I get to that point, how can I summon dudes into the ashen mist heart memory in the dlc? Would it be the set of graves on the left or the right at the start? Or could I just summon my co-op partner after we're both in the memory?

Yeah you see the signs at at the graves

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think an ideal maiden to ignore would be the one next to the bonfire on the Throne Floor. I don't think she affects anything and she is super-easy to get to. Of course, I only missed her on my first playthrough because I didn't know to run up (through the Firestorm) and Examine to use the wedge.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

RBA Starblade posted:

One hand it and wait for them to attack. If they try to get behind you, do the one handed LT (horizontal spin). Anything else, one handed LB. I've never hit anyone with the two handed vertical flip. It's slower than the claymore with its normal attacks, though, and a Greatsword can hit you just before you hit them, strangely.

I'll have to give that a try and stop powerstancing it instead, thanks! The flips are really cool to pull off but 9 times out of 10 I end up killing myself because of it.

For your question, as long as your partner puts their sign on the graves you should see it in the memory, not sure if it matters which room he puts it in though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CruzerZERO posted:

I'll have to give that a try and stop powerstancing it instead, thanks! The flips are really cool to pull off but 9 times out of 10 I end up killing myself because of it.

For your question, as long as your partner puts their sign on the graves you should see it in the memory, not sure if it matters which room he puts it in though.

Cool, thanks. I know there are two optional areas I just didn't know which ones relate to which.

For more on the Majestic GS, it's basically a modified and more powerful Claymore/Drangleic Sword, so keep that in mind. Also note you can't apply spells like Dark Weapon to it, for whatever reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

You only get one from him. If you break every maiden you can before you get to the FK you'll have to deal with a single maiden. If there are two there, then you missed a wedge somewhere.

I know you get one from him, that's what I said. You are given six for free before the first bonfire, four from a chest in the central tower, one from killing Fume Knight (the only one I'm somewhat uncertain of), and one from the chair behind Alonne. If you've got ten soul fragments it's impossible not to have at least two of the four surrounding Fume dealt with.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know you get one from him, that's what I said. You are given six for free before the first bonfire, four from a chest in the central tower, one from killing Fume Knight (the only one I'm somewhat uncertain of), and one from the chair behind Alonne. If you've got ten soul fragments it's impossible not to have at least two of the four surrounding Fume dealt with.

The problem is that if you use all available wedges (which I did) you will only have 1 ash maiden left standing at the FK. If there are still two, then you missed a wedge somewhere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay, beat the Fume despite that hickup. Thank goodness the range on healing is avoidable, Fume Knight is tough but I did the scumbag tactic of staying away until he does the sweep. Otherwise it's backwards-rolling 24/7.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You literally can't miss one wedge until you get to Alonne, which is impossible if Fume is alive. I looked it up to be certain and I was slightly mistaken before, you get one soul fragment from Fume so if you only have one altar left outside the boss arena you're exactly where you need to be and haven't missed any. If you have two then you didn't find an altar, but it's still possible. You can't be missing more or less and still have used every wedge.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I guess I got lucky on my run then because I didn't find the idol which rises from the ground at the beginning until the end of the DLC.

Invading in a world where the idols are still around is fun since all their effects work on you. Invading someone the other day who left a healing idol up, it felt like cheating to be honest.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CruzerZERO posted:

Majestic Greatsword Users: How do you make it work in your favor for pvp? I have better luck baiting people into the jump that don't expect it, but every part of the moveset is sooo slow. If I end up using a fast mainhand weapon I just end up using it the whole fight instead of the powerstance swings. Also you can't stab yourself to death after killing another player like the dlc katana. :sigh:

??? Aside from the special moves it has a normal greatsword moveset which is quite fast. The 1handed and 2handed l1s are good for spamming if your opponent is close. The 1handed l2 has good tracking and does 2 hits, making it good if your opponent is close and tries to dodge it, or as a wake-up from a crit. The 2handed l2 poke then sweep can combo, and if you miss with the poke a lot of people will run in and you can catch them with the sweep.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Genocyber posted:

??? Aside from the special moves it has a normal greatsword moveset which is quite fast. The 1handed and 2handed l1s are good for spamming if your opponent is close. The 1handed l2 has good tracking and does 2 hits, making it good if your opponent is close and tries to dodge it, or as a wake-up from a crit. The 2handed l2 poke then sweep can combo, and if you miss with the poke a lot of people will run in and you can catch them with the sweep.

I was referring to powerstancing. But the main issue is I was relying far too much on the very slow special attacks, which leaves me vulnerable. Which is not to say it sucks because I got quite a few number of kills, I just was terrible against people who knew how to react to it.

Also powerstancing it with another greatsword when I have guys fighting me with fast weapons left me wayyy open. I'm seeing it's probably going to be easier going with switching between 1 hand and 2 handing. I just hate the delay in switching on a left handed weapon. Which is another reason why I think I'm going slower since I'm used to right hand attacks.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So i get summoned at Fume by someone wearing the full velstadt set and with all 4 healing spots active. Of course he also has Steelfist Elli summoned, for good measure. Nice, i see what you're going for, lets do this!

he gets one shotted by the first attack. :allears:

Oh well, A for effort!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Majestic Greatsword is all-around great in my opinion, or at least all-around cool. Might not have been a great idea to infuse it with Dark since Dark Weapon doesn't work on it though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The Majestic Greatsword is all-around great in my opinion, or at least all-around cool. Might not have been a great idea to infuse it with Dark since Dark Weapon doesn't work on it though.

Seems best to leave it physical considering that and the scaling on it. Slap on the ring of blades and Flynn's Ring if you're not me with a 78 max encumberance and go nuts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I got so excited by the Majestic, until I actually tried it and will forever never use it, because lefting in combat is too much for me.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tae posted:

I got so excited by the Majestic, until I actually tried it and will forever never use it, because lefting in combat is too much for me.

I thought the same thing at first, but it was actually pretty simple to get used to. Just Co-op the FK a few ties and you'll have it burned into your muscle memory.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

So i get summoned at Fume by someone wearing the full velstadt set and with all 4 healing spots active. Of course he also has Steelfist Elli summoned, for good measure. Nice, i see what you're going for, lets do this!

he gets one shotted by the first attack. :allears:

Oh well, A for effort!

I was cooping the other day down there. I decided how much estus/spells to use based on how much of an idiot they looked like.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Tae posted:

I'm tempted to make a left handed character just for the sake of learning to use the sword the right(left?) way. I guess the claymore would be the go to sword to practice with until I can left hand my way up to the Majestic.

Despite being able to use soul vessels I have the worst time sticking a character to a new weapon type, I can learn the moveset easily but it just doesn't feel right. As stupid as that sounds.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Uh, did they break the Jester Thomas black phantom invasion? I just fought him and all he did was stare at me and roll away. I just stuck right next to him, hit him once, he'd roll, repeat until invader banished.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with Recollection, I missed it but I'm about to go get it. Is it strong enough to replace one of my two casts of Dark Orb? Right now it takes four shots to kill something in the dlc, with 50 casts between two attuned dark orbs. Does it fire off enough homing projectiles to kill in one cast?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Uh, did they break the Jester Thomas black phantom invasion? I just fought him and all he did was stare at me and roll away. I just stuck right next to him, hit him once, he'd roll, repeat until invader banished.

Sometimes things just get borked. I beat Fume Knight on my third try because (despite doing so on my second try and smearing me into a bloody paste) he never went into hyper mode.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do bonfire intensities reset on NG+? Or are they gonna be like NG++

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The other thing why I won't try the Majestic is figuring what what to do with the 20/20 faith/int because hybrid is so stat-consuming and I'm only sl 130.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SHISHKABOB posted:

Do bonfire intensities reset on NG+? Or are they gonna be like NG++
"What is done cannot be undone."

Going to NG+ does two things. It actually sets the game to NG+ (which affects a few things that are actually dependent on being in NG+) and it increases the Bonfire Intensity of all bonfires by 1. If they were already increased by Ascetics, they go up by 1 regardless and a NG+ area now becomes NG++ in NG+.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tae posted:

The other thing why I won't try the Majestic is figuring what what to do with the 20/20 faith/int because hybrid is so stat-consuming and I'm only sl 130.

Spice down Denial and become unkillable. It is now officially Best Miracle now that it saved my rear end so thoroughly against NG+ FK. Now to Raime on everyone's parade!

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 29, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Tae posted:

I'm just gonna make a new character and do a melee-only hex build, use a bunch of weapons with fai and int requirements like that one black knight weapon, and dark infuse the poo poo out of a bunch of stuff without ever casting a single dark orb. its probably gonna be a bad build but it will also be fun.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tae posted:

Mundane build? :haw:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Huh, a Raime set is actually pretty good for PvP. The armor isn't bad, and using both swords at once covers pretty much all your bases. You got a fast swichy/pokey weapon and a big fat gently caress-stick to bring in the real damage.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 29, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Spice down Denial and become unkillable. It is now officially Best Miracle now that it saved my rear end so thoroughly against NG+ FK. Now to Raime on everyone's parade!

Except it doesn't help on the Fume Knight because in his second phase the aura around his sword also deals damage and will kill you through denial because you don't have invincibility frames.

I do appreciate the terrible pun, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpruceZeus posted:

I'm just gonna make a new character and do a melee-only hex build, use a bunch of weapons with fai and int requirements like that one black knight weapon, and dark infuse the poo poo out of a bunch of stuff without ever casting a single dark orb. its probably gonna be a bad build but it will also be fun.

Make sure to pick up the roaring halberd. It does ludicrous damage when dark-infused and with dark weapon applied. Make sure you don't gently caress the attack up though or you're losing half your durability.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except it doesn't help on the Fume Knight because in his second phase the aura around his sword also deals damage and will kill you through denial because you don't have invincibility frames.

I do appreciate the terrible pun, though.

No it definitely helped me. I got hit with his aura infused sword and it sent me flying so it never had the chance to do more damage. I then dodged and weaved until I could chug some estus. It was awesome.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah that was one of my other motivations in doing this, I heard the roaring halberd was good but haven't tried it yet cuz it doesn't really fit with my other hexer's look and she already ate the skeleton lord soul and has no dragon bones left anyway and I can't be arsed farming for more after killing dino butts so I could upgrade the fume sword.

so instead I'll just make an entirely new character from scratch because that's easier I guess? lol

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Seems best to leave it physical considering that and the scaling on it. Slap on the ring of blades and Flynn's Ring if you're not me with a 78 max encumberance and go nuts.

For PVP at least, I find elemental to be more effective unless the person has especially high elemental defense. Majestic is one of the weird weapons for infusion, since it only loses 100 physical base but gains 200 elemental.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CruzerZERO posted:

I'm with you on that. I've gotten two characters through the DLC and I can't stop using that katana. I didn't even like katanas to begin with!

Yeah, I found that out. From pls

The Powerstance MGS has hyper armor, I think, so in theory you won't be interrupted out of it.

My Raime cosplay has taught me how to correctly use an offhand greatsword and a mainhand fast sword (for authenticity). You basically use the main hand for poke and combo it with the greatsword. Two 1h swings and then anticipate the role with the UGS and usually you'll catch them at the end of the roll. Not sure the MGS is long enough for that, though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

"What is done cannot be undone."

Going to NG+ does two things. It actually sets the game to NG+ (which affects a few things that are actually dependent on being in NG+) and it increases the Bonfire Intensity of all bonfires by 1. If they were already increased by Ascetics, they go up by 1 regardless and a NG+ area now becomes NG++ in NG+.

Cool, thanks. I accidentally burned one on the bonfire above the dragon rider boss in heide's tower thinking it would reset that boss but... yeah. That whole area plus blue cathedral are gonna be fun.

DS 2 is the first game I've ever actually been excited to play through again, either with the same character or a totally different one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

For PVP at least, I find elemental to be more effective unless the person has especially high elemental defense. Majestic is one of the weird weapons for infusion, since it only loses 100 physical base but gains 200 elemental.

Really? Interesting, I figured it was like the other physical ones in that it lost a lot more than that, but I was really only looking at the scaling.