Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Spermy Smurf posted:

You said you would have it done 2 hours ago and I just assumed it was already done :argh:
Running the fight, not writing up the fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spermy Smurf posted:

ZeeToo, maybe on the screenshots use K to look around instead of V. K will show the floor, guts/arms/legs, pools of blood, and you wont have to give away what the fighters are wearing for armor by going to View the fighter and pick their Inventory. Does that make sense?

That is the K screen. :ssh: I was showing the mangled corpses and what they'd dropped. Also, we've not really been hiding the equipment. We haven't gone over it in the test tournament, but prior to this the team set-ups have mentioned in at least general terms what the equipment is when we introduce the fighters.

Thoughts from you/others on what we should show, going forward?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I cant get anything right today. You're right (as was Bene). I am just having an off day apparently.

I dont know what the etiquette should be. I'd probably want to hide the equipment myself unless it's specifically talked about in the combat log or something.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
You can see some equipment in he combat logs, weapons and shields almost always, and whatever armour pieces are struck.

I don't have a problem with equipment being known. Skills are still secret, and if we could see the fighters properly, we'd know their gear anyway.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Can we take this to email? I feel like I'm making GBS threads up the thread. That might just be normal posting for me though.

My thoughts are: I have adamantine armor (or something) except for iron boots and the iron boots are the only thing to get hit in the combat log, don't tell everyone about my other armor that they should prepare to face next round.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
The Platinum Helms earned me a big return on my dwarf bux! The Ugly Ones were such a betting favorite that I decided on putting the bulk of my bux on a different matchup and went with the long bet the Helms.

Us Uglies don't care much for veggies so we won't be holding back, hopefully Van Winkle doesn't make an rear end of himself again this round.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I think Catholicism should be renamed to The Inquisition after a match like that.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

drat, and I was hoping for a Lucky Team 13/Wild Animals rematch in the semifinals! Rest well, Gorbash, you've earned it.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've emailed Spermy Smurf, hopefully we can get some sort of commissioner email chain going. Might be nice to include Jazzimus too.

Regarding equipment, I think anything less than full disclosure just makes things complicated, unless someone wants to write a text parser that spits out a list of each fighter's equipment based purely on what gets mentioned in the log. I occasionally write text parsers in Python for work, so if I have an evening spare and don't feel like running a fight I might give it a whirl.

iLonie
Feb 17, 2011
Excellent work fellow religious nutjobs. Think we have a chance here. Also Jazz, it looks like there might be an error with the way the tournament brackets are worked out, as both Catholicism and Lucky Team 13 finished in second place, and I believe the idea was to reward the winners with easier matchups? Worked out well for us though.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

iLonie posted:

Excellent work fellow religious nutjobs. Think we have a chance here. Also Jazz, it looks like there might be an error with the way the tournament brackets are worked out, as both Catholicism and Lucky Team 13 finished in second place, and I believe the idea was to reward the winners with easier matchups? Worked out well for us though.

Yes, I noticed it as well, I'll have to revisit the tiebreaker code.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren::siren:Test Tournament, Final Quarterfinals Match:siren::siren:

On the left we have Meat and Two Veg consisting of Treeloved the elf, Compost Day the elf, and Onan the human. Managers are Bene Elim, Ramc, and Afriscipio.

On the right we have The Ugly Ones with Mammarian the molewoman, Prancer III the minotaur, and Van Winkle the troll. Managers are synthorange, astus, and Goodchild.

This fight will be great, I'm excited to see the largest team fight a team of normals. The smaller team doesn't have a gremlin or kobold, so the sizes aren't too different but the point differentials might be!

Lets get it on.

The three smaller fighters are the same speed while the Prancer III lives up to his fleet-footed name and steps ahead of his large teammates.

Prancer III's speed pays off and he gets first blood by stabbing Compost Day in the leg, bringing him to the ground. Compost Day blocks three attacks from the ground and rolls southwest before sustaining more damage. First blood goes to The Ugly Ones.

Treeloved trades blows with the large fighters before stabbing Mammarian the moleman in the rear leg with his spear. Second blood goes to Meat and Two veg.

Compost Day rolls clear of a charge which makes Van Winkle slam into his teammate Prancer III! Prancer goes down, not expecting his teammate to hit him like that. Compost Day takes advantage and strikes the downed minotaur from the ground, cutting his hand wide open before Prancer III stands back up.

People move around a lot in this fight. Just watch the locations of the fighters. Treeloved stabs Mammarian in the front foot this time, and finally sends the molewoman to the ground.

Compost Day slashes Prancer III again, and Treeloved stabs Mammarian again quickly.

Van Winkle decides to pick on the downed Compost Day, but his shots are blocked easily. Compost Day strikes back from the ground and cuts the trolls hand open. At the same time Prancer III stabs Compost Day in the foot.

Onan swings away at Mammarian breaking some ribs. Prancer III stabs Compost Day again in the leg, then Van Winkle takes the entire foot off. Compost Day has given in to pain and should be killed quickly and easily now. Van Winkle tries to penetrate the steel helm thrice, but is unsuccessful.

Treeloved is more successful and stabs Prancer III right in the head several times in a row, pausing only to stab Mammarian in the tail. Prancer III is dead. Van Winkle quickly sends the deadly elf to the floor stunned with a charge.

Treeloved is on a rampage and stabs Van Winkle in the arm, causing him to drop his weapon. Van Winkle tries to wrestle and gore the downed Compost Day, ignoring the stunned Treeloved behind him. Treeloved lets his elven teammate be smashed to pieces on the ground and focuses on Mammarian. The moleman loses a foot quickly.

Onan smashes the tusks right out of Van Winkles mouth. Treeloved leans over and casually stabs Van Winkle right through the chest, severing his spine! The human and elf spend the next few minutes tormenting the downed troll. Stabs to the stomach, neck, legs are combined with Onan punching and mauling everything within sight. Finally Van Winkle's head is crushed by Onan.

Mammarian crawls over to help his helpless teammate and recieves much the same treatment. Treeloved stabs his arm, causing him to drop a weapon. Another stab to the other arm leaves the molewoman unable to hold a weapon. Onan now shows his cruel streak and smashes everything he can reach to bits. Livers, ribs, feet, teeth... he's kind of a sadistic prick to tell the truth.

The moleman bleeds to death, ending Onans terrible game. Compost Day wakes up and looks around before falling unconscious once more.

Meat and Two Veg win with a 3-0 victory that easily could have been 3-1 or worse if Van Winkle could have broken through the steel helm.

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2014

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Welp, there goes all my money. Even after our defeat, you continue to ruin me Spermy. :v:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

That fight lasted a long time, most of it being a cruel display of violence to helpless, downed fighters. I'm not condoning Onan and Treeloved's behavior, but you can't argue with the results.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Perhaps not having any armor at all wasn't such a bright idea, but the fact we won three matches in a row despite having no team communication is still pretty nice. I lost all my dwarfbucks, but there's no point in that if we aren't in the tournament anyways. The more money you bet on your team, the better they'll be. That's how it works, right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Locomotive breath posted:

Welp, there goes all my money. Even after our defeat, you continue to ruin me Spermy. :v:

You embarrass the team by suffocating instead of killing the lone archer, you better believe I'm going to make sure you lose your money.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
A good fight but goddamn, toughest steel helm in the world. Troll strength and Steel Halberd vs a small steel helm and it's impenetrable. I should have gone with a blunt weapon, definitely seem much more effective.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, after dropping down to 70, I've recovered my way back to 600.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

You embarrass the team by suffocating instead of killing the lone archer, you better believe I'm going to make sure you lose your money.

WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE TO GET SHOT INSTEAD OF ME, MOLEMAN. I am a delicate elf, I have no capacity for such base things as being shot in the spine and paralyzed.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I've more than doubled my remaining cash from that last fight.

$25 :smug:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Anchors posted:

I've more than doubled my remaining cash from that last fight.

$25 :smug:

And then you go and waste it on a hopeless bet. You don't think these things through, do you?

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Ablative posted:

And then you go and waste it on a hopeless bet. You don't think these things through, do you?

Hopeless? The Wild Animals are the only undefeated semifinals team for a reason. :viggo:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think biting is a viable strategy at all, even with points in it.

Do the snakers still get their poison? Has that been seen this tournament?

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

goatface posted:

I don't think biting is a viable strategy at all, even with points in it.

Do the snakers still get their poison? Has that been seen this tournament?

Yep! One-eyed Willie bit Friendly Friar in a match I ran and paralyzed him with venom. The kobold was gonna die anyway, but the venom does still work if they can latch on. One-eyed Willie did also open an artery with the bite, so maybe the bite needs to go deep enough to work?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Ablative posted:

Some would say there are good reasons why I am almost broke and my fighter is now face down in a gutter. In fact most people would say it could have gone no other way. Everybody I know in fact.

Wait, where was I going with this again? Oh right, come from behind victory in the bets when literally everybody except me bets on the losing team. Calling it now.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Remember kids- Compost Day says wear your safety helmet!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Silverminnow posted:

Yep! One-eyed Willie bit Friendly Friar in a match I ran and paralyzed him with venom. The kobold was gonna die anyway, but the venom does still work if they can latch on. One-eyed Willie did also open an artery with the bite, so maybe the bite needs to go deep enough to work?

Yep, the bite needs to break through the skin in order for a snakeman to deliver venom. I was really surprised that Willie was able to make such a strike this late in the tournament. Strangely enough, snakemen will deliver venom on any part of the body, but giant cave spiders will only deliver venom on a bite to the head.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noooooooo my bitcoins! :cry:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I appreciate that only one team from each of the divisions made it to the semi-finals.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Once Coward updates The Pope we can begin the next round.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Maybe he is so intimidated or confident he feels he does not NEED to spend his points against fan favorites and all around cool and handsome and smart team Meat and Two Veg.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Once Coward updates The Pope we can begin the next round.

Crap, was not expecting it to be that quick. The Pope is updated!

That last match was insane. And how the hell did we make it into the Semifinals? And up against the intimidatingly handsome Meat and Two Veg? Will this be the fall of Catholicism?

Coward fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 1, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Coward posted:

Will this be the fall of Catholicism?

It better not be. I don't want to have lost to the 2nd place team.

Edit: an archer team is in championship match? That's just impressive considering how slow archers are. By now everyone is grand master skills so it's all about the RNG in this fight right?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 31, 2014

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: an archer team is in championship match? That's just impressive considering how slow archers are. By now everyone is grand master skills so it's all about the RNG in this fight right?

Larger fighters maybe not. Also there is the whole armor-adamatine game of chicken to consider. Assuming everyone beelines for max weaponskill regardless of size, smaller fighters will likely have better defenses and/or more developed offenses and/or superior swag.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Who's running the semifinals?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm going to say "me". At least for the first fight. Stay tuned for the high-dollar semifinal match!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All my money's riding on these jackasses. DONT LET ME DOWN!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament, Semifinals, Match 1 :siren:

On the left: The Wild Animals! King the Tigerman of King Cohort, One-Eyed Willie the Serpent Man of Neurion and Sunny the Molemarian of Duckaerobics.

On the right: The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo! Willow Rawhide the Goblin of Ablative, Johnny Bravo the Human of Silverminnow and Urist the Boring the Dwarf of Haystack.

No archers this match means it's simply a race to the center.

Sunny takes center stage, and Johnny Bravo and Urist spread out to attack him before Willie can join. Johnny breaks a leg of the molemarian, then tumbles away from the counter-blow. While Sunny is distracted, Urist the Boring cuts the mole's shield arm and the shield clatters to the ground. Still, Sunny feels no pain, and his steel axe hits the dwarf before he can jump away. Mere iron gives way, and Urist suffers a horrific torso wound.

Off to one side, Willow aims for an instant decapitation attack against King. Adamantine coils around his neck... then slides off! King's mail is also forged of adamantine.

Urist and Sunny continue chewing each other up. Sunny's foot goes flying, then Urist the Boring gets a small cut on his hand which tips him over his endurance point. He passes out.

Johnny eventually realizes that his warhammer is the least useful weapon in finishing off Sunny, and instead turns his attention to One-Eyed Willie, with little more success.

The wild melee sweeps everyone up together. No individual duels this match. Finally, One-Eyed Willie stabs Willow cleanly, and she can't keep hold of her scourge. Johnny is the only warrior remaining on his side in fighting shape.

Oh, and Sunny's foot finally landed.

A short time later, Willow Rawhide's flailing fails to make One-Eyed Willie keep his distance, and his spear crushes her skull.

King leads the charge against Johnny Bravo, grabbing him by the toe and dragging him to the ground.

Urist the Boring, who hasn't died yet, recovers consciousness! And passes out again almost instantly.

Johnny is not giving up, though. He hits King so hard that the tiger's eye pops out, smears all over the ground, and inspires a gemstone name. King is still the mightier, and since he can't pierce Johnny's adamantine, he just throws the human in the air. While airborne, Johnny blocks both Sunny's and King's attacks with his shield before he hits the ground:

Even now, his adamant defense protects him. He shatters King's ribs as every attack against him comes to naught. Only blunt force seems to work. King's fists count, and a gut punch knocks the wind from him. The only actual injuries he's suffered are a cut to his left cheek and a bit of bruising, even as King continues trying to crush him through the adamantine and, of all things, leather armor covering his body. Finally, a kick splits his lip open.

Perhaps Urist the Boring will manage to recover and pitch in, since while he's barely fighting back Johnny looks like he can hold out for a while and--oh, nope, Sunny finally got around to hitting him. Urist the Boring's head comes off.

King has finally hit on how to hurt Johnny, though, and instead of striking just forces the human's limbs to bend in unnatural directions. His vaunted shield is lost as his left arm is ruined. He passes out.

Urist the Boring's head finally hits the ground. Just after, Sunny technically deals the killing blow.

3-0 victory for The Wild Animals!

Kils
: Sunny 2, One-Eyed Willie 1

Combat Log

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All my loving money! Nooooooooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Diversify, Synth. Diversify.

Also, thanks for your money!

How beat up was King by the end of that? Can we see an injury list, or did you already close it up?

• Locked thread