Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

VBC likes to shitpost occasionally here but he made a thread for EDF2025, so he's cool.

He also made the thread for EDF2017 back in 2007 or whenever that was filled with such unbridled enthusiasm about the game that I bought it ASAP (and loved it). That said, this sure has been an obnoxious couple of pages in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hitman Absolution is not great, despite what that one poster who constantly swoops in every time it and Thief are mentioned claims, but it's at least tolerable on Easy because the Instinct is super broken. But it just makes me want to get gamepad support working in Blood Money, which I have not played yet, but it doesn't have this stupid disguise 'revision'.

The most creative solution I've seen so far is spiking a hair growth serum with fire paste, which leads to a scientist lighting his head on fire and throwing himself off a balcony. I kind of wish Dishonored had more creative solutions to eliminating targets but Dishonored is a much better game in general so it's not that big a deal.

If you are referring to me, I keep saying the game is mediocre and not nearly as bad as everyone claims it to be. It sounds like we agree!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Koburn posted:

Try Spotflux, it's a free US vpn. I have activated region locked games from amazon a few times with no problems.

Cheers.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»
Has anyone played Draconian Wars? It came out yesterday and I haven't heard anything about it.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 seemed to have a pretty negative reception around release, but I was wondering if that was just release hyperbole or if it's actually not a good game, and if it's not good, why specifically that is. I'm just about finished with the first game, DLC and all, finding it to be pretty decent, and was wondering whether or not I should keep the sequel in mind as a future sale purchase.

Orv
May 4, 2011

obliriovrons posted:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 seemed to have a pretty negative reception around release, but I was wondering if that was just release hyperbole or if it's actually not a good game, and if it's not good, why specifically that is. I'm just about finished with the first game, DLC and all, finding it to be pretty decent, and was wondering whether or not I should keep the sequel in mind as a future sale purchase.

The worst stealth sections in video gaming, the combat somehow got worse, and the puzzles also got worse.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Sounds very worth avoiding! Thanks.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Black Griffon posted:

I had a lot of fun with GRID, and I never tried GRID 2, but I heard it sucked balls. Should I buy GRID Autosport since it's a daily deal?

A bit late, but I had a lot of fun with GRID and absolutely hated the 2nd one. I think Autosport is rather fun though. It's a lot harder than the first game, but it's still quite enjoyable overall.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man, you know, Lords of the Fallen probably won't be what they're touting it as, but drat if it doesn't look nice.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hitman Absolution is not great, despite what that one poster who constantly swoops in every time it and Thief are mentioned claims, but it's at least tolerable on Easy because the Instinct is super broken. But it just makes me want to get gamepad support working in Blood Money, which I have not played yet, but it doesn't have this stupid disguise 'revision'.

The most creative solution I've seen so far is spiking a hair growth serum with fire paste, which leads to a scientist lighting his head on fire and throwing himself off a balcony. I kind of wish Dishonored had more creative solutions to eliminating targets but Dishonored is a much better game in general so it's not that big a deal.

2 things to remember about Hitman Absolution:

1. You have to level up your stealth on lower difficulties in order to have good stealth on higher difficulties. One of the dumbest game design decisions I've seen in a long time.

2. Think of your instinct as an invisibility meter or a cloak. If you use it while nobody is looking at you, and turn it off while nobody is looking at you, then nobody will see you. Just like a cloak, if anyone sees you enter instinct mode or exit instinct mode, then they spot you.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh my god, I won GRID 2 in the SA Christmas Contests, I am installing this poo poo right now because it sounds completely stupid and so, so great.

I'm not sure if GRID 2 has this.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This morning Steam started giving me weird blinking red pixels, as seen in this video. They move with the Steam window, so I don't think it's my monitor. The comments say to change the screen resolution, but that didn't fix it. Anyone encountered this before?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

obliriovrons posted:

Sounds very worth avoiding! Thanks.

Yeah they took all the good things about 1 and removed them, then made the bad things worse.

I say this as someone who really enjoyed 1! It's a bad game.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Yeah they took all the good things about 1 and removed them, then made the bad things worse.

So what else kind of like this do we really have on Steam that's worthwhile? I really enjoyed Marlow Briggs and thought the first Castlevania was pretty good, but as far as I remember I've heard mixed stuff about the other games like this on Steam. Do I just need to grab the God of Wars on PS3 or something?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

obliriovrons posted:

So what else kind of like this do we really have on Steam that's worthwhile? I really enjoyed Marlow Briggs and thought the first Castlevania was pretty good, but as far as I remember I've heard mixed stuff about the other games like this on Steam. Do I just need to grab the God of Wars on PS3 or something?

Darksiders is better than LoS. Never played Darksiders 2.

DIvinity 2 isn't exactly a God of War clone, but it still gets pretty crazy, and it's pretty fun.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rookersh posted:

I wish they'd backport the 'skip all QTEs' feature of LoS 2. I enjoyed the first game until I got to the QTE-rich Colossus boss.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Divinity 2 is an ARPG and not a God of War Clone, but the combat is loving brilliant, especially when you become a dragon, and it's a funny well written game with the greatest reference to the terminator in any game ever, even among the actual terminator games.

Darksiders is great. Darksiders 2... not so much. It doesn't really expand on the first one in a way that isn't "let's make it more tedious". Darksiders 1 was a pretty cool game where you're pretty much always doing something new or getting a new power, in Darksiders 2 it's a loving slog-fest where you have to do repetitive poo poo constantly for no real reason other than "We need to pad this out".

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 29, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So is Sniper V3 is the best sniper simulator type thing available?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Whiirrr posted:

A bit late, but I had a lot of fun with GRID and absolutely hated the 2nd one. I think Autosport is rather fun though. It's a lot harder than the first game, but it's still quite enjoyable overall.

Is it 25 euros enjoyable though, or is it more like a tenner enjoyable?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Five Nights at Freddy's, the silly horror game with murderous animatronics, is 50% off at the humble store today.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Anyone want a free copy of Saints Row IV? If so, IM me.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.
Tiny Barbarian DX is a decently fun game, but the music and sound design are really really lackluster.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

This morning Steam started giving me weird blinking red pixels, as seen in this video. They move with the Steam window, so I don't think it's my monitor. The comments say to change the screen resolution, but that didn't fix it. Anyone encountered this before?

I had the same exact problem and it turned out the cable to my monitor had gotten bumped loose, so make sure that's all in working order. Sounds pretty obvious but I assumed everything had somehow gone horribly wrong before figuring it out.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wow, just for shits and giggles I checked out the page for the CoD franchise sale.
To sum it up: that's the cancer of gaming, right there.

Just look at it and scroll down. All the way down to hell.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mcbexx posted:

Wow, just for shits and giggles I checked out the page for the CoD franchise sale.
To sum it up: that's the cancer of gaming, right there.

Just look at it and scroll down. All the way down to hell.

Yes, but just look at those prices they're … oh. Not even half off on a decade old game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Fans of Saints Row 4 can rest easy, knowing that Volition has announced a new standalone expansion: Saints Row: Gat out of Hell

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

flesh dance posted:

I had the same exact problem and it turned out the cable to my monitor had gotten bumped loose, so make sure that's all in working order. Sounds pretty obvious but I assumed everything had somehow gone horribly wrong before figuring it out.

Haha good call. I had left it unscrewed so I could swap it out to plug the PS3 into and it must have slid out a tiny bit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

So is Sniper V3 is the best sniper simulator type thing available?

Nothing about it is really simulator-ish except the ballistics, and even then I doubt if its that's in-depth. There's wind, gravity, and body shakes to worry about at least, and you can turn various options on/off to make it easier/harder.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Man, that sr4 expandalone sounds super dumb. I'm in.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lance Streetman posted:

Fans of Saints Row 4 can rest easy, knowing that Volition has announced a new standalone expansion: Saints Row: Gat out of Hell

Well I guess that's ok. Really thought we'd be getting a full release though :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
How the hell can you have a standalone expansion.

Stop making up concepts, Volition.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's not quite a full game so it's slightly cheaper than a full priced game? Assassin's Creed Black Flag did this with Freedom's Cry. Whatever it is it's better than Borderlands pre-sequel poo poo (I just don't like Borderlands, I don't care what they call it tbh).

Lance Streetman posted:

I love SR4 and SR3 but God drat I'm not sure I can take the lovely 'open world' designed repetitive-pointless-and-uninteresting-beyond-the-first-thirty-seconds gameplay.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Not sure if that's :thejoke: but Blood Dragon and CoJ:Gunslinger?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

These have been a thing for a while now, ever since publishers noticed they can make more money by putting things on disc in stores rather than tucked away in the PSN/XBLive/Steam store as DLC. Also because they had to pay for the patching to the base game on consoles.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 29, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Infamous: First Light are both standalone expansions. It's basically just a smaller slice of gameplay offered for a reduced price, and you don't need to original game to play it.

I'm mostly hyped because the idea of playing as Johnny Gat in hell is amazing, and apparently they're bringing back Dane Vogel from SR2.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/29/johnny-gat-returns-in-saints-row-iv-expansion.aspx

Trailer looks metal as hell.

OH NO MAN posted:

I was a bit disappointed when I heard it would be taking place in hell (I'm still that guy who just wants a new SR2 while knowing it'll never happen), but Shadows of the Damned starring Johnny Gat and featuring Jane Austen, Disney princesses and musical numbers doesn't really seem that bad at all.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
An expansion has always meant "Addon". A standalone expansion is an oxymoron. It's an expansion of what? Is Heretic an expansion of Doom because it's made on the same engine? What about the Unreal Engine? Boy howdy, Unreal Tournament has had a gently caress of a load of expansions: Bulletstorm is my favorite, although The Last Remnant is pretty great aswell. Too bad they didn't put the redeemer in it :(

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ddraig posted:

Is Heretic an expansion of Doom because it's made on the same engine?

No, but Final Doom is a standalone expansion for Doom II.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Who cares? It's more Saints Row, and you don't need Saints Row IV to play it. Sounds like a deal to me. Game looks awesome and I can't wait for it to come out.

Ed: Embedded trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fteDOwbT3Q

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

obliriovrons posted:

He also made the thread for EDF2017 back in 2007 or whenever that was filled with such unbridled enthusiasm about the game that I bought it ASAP (and loved it). That said, this sure has been an obnoxious couple of pages in this thread.

This dude's a big obnoxious idiot, but he likes a game I do, so I guess it's okay!

Kibayasu posted:

These have been a thing for a while now, ever since publishers noticed they can make more money by putting things on disc in stores rather than tucked away in the PSN/XBLive/Steam store as DLC. Also because they had to pay for the patching to the base game on consoles.

Most standalone expansions don't get retail releases, though. I'm okay with the concept though, some of them turn out pretty good. Undead Nightmare for RDR was great despite zombies being old and tired even back when it was released in 2011.

Also the new Saints Row sounds horrible. It's Saints Row, except we're taking the designed-for-a-sandbox-game gameplay and forcing it into linear levels, with no open world and no player customization. Awesome! Good to know Volition had no idea what made SR2 fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Ddraig posted:

An expansion has always meant "Addon". A standalone expansion is an oxymoron. It's an expansion of what? Is Heretic an expansion of Doom because it's made on the same engine? What about the Unreal Engine? Boy howdy, Unreal Tournament has had a gently caress of a load of expansions: Bulletstorm is my favorite, although The Last Remnant is pretty great aswell. Too bad they didn't put the redeemer in it :(

The concept has been around for a while. See: Half-Life expansions; HoMM3 expansions

• Locked thread