Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Dress as a blue-haired anime swordsman for halloween. Discover all the different animes that your "friends" like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

whaley posted:

What the heck the battle system is almost too simple and the reason I couldn't play all the way through the game

I'm sure I was playing it wrong because it's so bad, but it came off as having all these different moves with different effects that you somehow chained together, while at the same time just boiling down to spam abilities and wait for them to recharge. I guess boring would have been a better word. v:geno:v

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really like Shulk's face in this game, he looks too young and it's kind of off putting. Also, Reyn not being in the final smash is one of the biggest crimes I've ever seen committed. Rikki and Dunban better not be the only people he can summon.

On another note, does anyone know how well Xenoblade sold? I like the game a lot, but I thought it just sold alright, so it strikes me as a bit odd they actually put him in the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Momomo posted:

On another note, does anyone know how well Xenoblade sold? I like the game a lot, but I thought it just sold alright, so it strikes me as a bit odd they actually put him in the game.

It sold well enough to get a sequel, take that how you will.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Momomo posted:

I don't really like Shulk's face in this game

That's why they gave him those abs so that's all anybody will be looking at

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The best part of Shulk's update is Captain Falcon's butt.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Brother Entropy posted:

It sold well enough to get a sequel, take that how you will.

So did Sin and Punishment, but we know how that turned out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love Xenoblade's combat and how incredibly customizable it is.

so, you know

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I liked Xenoblade Chronicles a lot. I also liked Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot. I have put over a hundred hours in both games and I don't regret it all. I'm super stoked that I'll get to play as Robin and Shulk in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U because they are both great characters from great games that I love. Thank you for reading.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Leadthumb posted:

I'm watching videos of the combat, game looks boring as poo poo. No thanks.

I also judge games by random videos on the internet.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Xenoblade sold about 800k worldwide (half of that being in the US), which is pretty respectable for a game like that, especially taking limited releases into account.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Louisgod posted:

I also judge games by random videos on the internet.

Judging gameplay based on gameplay footage seems pretty legitimate idk, esp when you consider time/money as finite Gamer Capital

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I really enjoyed my playthrough of Xenoblade and the soundtrack, but I totally saw it as a "podcast game" inbetween cutscenes and boss fights because there are definitely some grindy sections in it. I've been playing FE:A on classic and hard recently and ran out of steam at around chapter 22, it's fun but man I suck at it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omeOylQYkuU

five minutes of Smash, might have some new stuff, I see Corneria

Have we seen this mode before? If so, what is it supposed to be exactly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Tinpin Slammers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

Tinpin Slammers.

Finally

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

jivjov posted:

So don't play it?

This is the Smash Bros. thread. It's not enough that people simply don't play a game. They also have to post about everyone that does play it having objectively literally wrong opinions that are bad, and then whine about why does character X from stupid loser baby game Y get a slot.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

JordanKai posted:

Looks like Tin Pin Slammer to me.

e:f;b

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Endorph posted:

Tinpin Slammers.
Please don't joke around with my heart like that :ohdear:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is the Smash Bros. thread. It's not enough that people simply don't play a game. They also have to post about everyone that does play it having objectively literally wrong opinions that are bad, and then whine about why does character X from stupid loser baby game Y get a slot.

Only talking about things we think are perfect is stupid. Sorry it rustles your jimmies that a person offers a negative opinion of a game you (and I) like

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

maketakunai posted:

Please don't joke around with my heart like that :ohdear:

Seriously. :(

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

my opinion is that video games are just okay. not bad. not great. they're fine.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

my opinion is that video games are just okay. not bad. not great. they're fine.

Look at this loving doofus. Video games are at least a 6 on the Likert scale, you braindead troll.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I just don't think Fire Emblem is a series that deserves 4 characters while Donkey Kong gets 2 (3?) and Advance Wars gets none.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Anyone who can read moonspeak - did anything from the online menus in the new footage indicate the usage of customizable characters online in any mode? I want to use my stat'd out King Dedede to defeat children in online multiplayer, local doesn't cut it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

I just don't think Fire Emblem is a series that deserves 4 characters while Donkey Kong gets 2 (3?) and Advance Wars gets none.
You're right, it deserves twenty.

EDIT: And you can use custom characters online with friends.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Sorry it rustles your jimmies that a person offers a negative opinion of a game you (and I) like

I haven't played the game nor do I care to v:geno:v

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lovely Wizard posted:

Anyone who can read moonspeak - did anything from the online menus in the new footage indicate the usage of customizable characters online in any mode? I want to use my stat'd out King Dedede to defeat children in online multiplayer, local doesn't cut it.

They've already confirmed you can't use customizable characters in the "for glory" mode, but you should be able to if you add those defeatable children as friends and play them in "for fun."

e: right, it's With Friends not For Fun, sorry.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

You can use customized poo poo online in With Friends mode. You can't use any of it in For Glory.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can't use it in For Fun either.

With Anyone has two modes, For Fun and For Glory. For Glory is no items FD. For Glory is random stages items. You can't use custom characters in either of them.

With Friends you can customize any way you like. You can use custom characters there.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm really unsure why people expect the bosses to be playable. The footage of Yellow Cyclops fighting everyone looked so stiff/ accurate that I can't imagine a player controlling it.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Excels posted:

You can use customized poo poo online in With Friends mode. You can't use any of it in For Glory.

Bicyclops posted:

They've already confirmed you can't use customizable characters in the "for glory" mode, but you should be able to if you add those defeatable children as friends and play them in "for fun."

Endorph posted:

You can't use it in For Fun either.

With Anyone has two modes, For Fun and For Glory. For Glory is no items FD. For Glory is random stages items. You can't use custom characters in either of them.

With Friends you can customize any way you like. You can use custom characters there.

Thanks, but man, that's sad to hear. Like make it a separate queue or whatever, but custom stats/moves should be usable online without having to add them personally.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It would make the game unfair and you know how Smash people get about fairness.

(if you pause during a tourney match (even accidentally), you have to immediately kill yourself, as an example)

Excels fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 29, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm really unsure why people expect the bosses to be playable. The footage of Yellow Cyclops fighting everyone looked so stiff/ accurate that I can't imagine a player controlling it.

Nobody does :confused:

Unless you're talking about the Ridley thing and that's just people holding onto hope that there's a playable version.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The way I've found that sums up Xenoblade the best is this: if you like action rpgs to be kinda slow and deep with their combat (final fantasy XIII, most MMOs) you'll love it, but if you like your arpgs to be more fast and comboy (tales of series) you'll find it a boring slog.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I do hope bosses can be turned off. I don't want Metal Face to gunk up the Gaur Plains stage by taking up half of it. :ohdear:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

They could possibly expand the bosses past rigid, specific patterns for the purposes of a hypothetical Boss Smash. The Yellow Devil had some cool moves in Power Fighters he could pull off to really turn up the heat on Wily's Castle.

That said, yeah, its just a rumor a lot of people look at and think "huh, that'd be neat." I doubt anyone's treating it as gospel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chieves posted:

I do hope bosses can be turned off. I don't want Metal Face to gunk up the Gaur Plains stage by taking up half of it. :ohdear:

Unless they've changed their minds, bosses and other hazards are not toggleable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Yellow Devil doesn't even feel like a "boss character" to me. he has no actual AI or patterns, he just slides back and forth, shoots some lasers, and then fucks off for a minute or two. If the rest of the bosses suck balls like he does then I'll be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Unless they've changed their minds, bosses and other hazards are not toggleable.

This is the kind of thing I wish they'd really take advantage of DLC for and probably won't. Let people customize more as requests come in. Turn off (or down) appearance of the Yellow Devil, add a Battlefield version of stages in addition to Final Destination, that kind of thing.

• Locked thread