Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Didn't B99 get a golden globe in January? And it didn't even get a nomination for an emmy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

xeria posted:

Nah, the Emmys is where Modern Family always wins the Best Comedy award.

Modern Family is pretty funny, hth.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

JohnSherman posted:

I don't think what I said was a judgment of Modern Family's worthiness as a comedy, just that it's literally won Best Comedy at the Emmys every year its existed to date, while BBT never has.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Kingtheninja posted:

Didn't B99 get a golden globe in January? And it didn't even get a nomination for an emmy?

Argo @ the Oscars

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

JohnSherman posted:

It's gotten a bit stale but that Vegas episode had me in stitches.

Here's hoping Braugher gets some attention due to this nomination.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: The fact that you aren't nominated for an Emmy is cat doing Home Alone face.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Finally got around to watching this show, and it was great! The tone's a lot of fun, the writing and jokes are sharp, they're willing to do the unconventional with their plots and characters and the finale had a dash of seriousness.

Someone mentioned that being a cop show was handy since it means they can take a break from character-driven sitcom comedy from time to time and add in some action, mystery or tension. That's dead-on. Peralta becoming an FBI undercover agent is an interesting twist because it adds a bit of tension, but just like when Holt was getting death threats and Boyle got shot in the rear end the show's humor works with it rather than it feeling like a jarring tone-shift.

The relationship stuff is interesting, but I'm also a little leery. Boyle getting over Diaz was very satisfying since it's so refreshing over the usual sitcom formula of "boy meets girl, boy eventually wears down girl" which is actually a pretty unhealthy message. That he starts to backslide after breaking up with Vivian does make sense, but I'm hoping that was just a one-episode thing to set up the Gina punchline at the end.

Santiago and Peralta are more fun. I like that they weren't flirting from the start, both are clearly defined characters with a good and friendly rapport who only begin to see each other in a different light further down the line. I'd sort of worried that with Andy Samberg as the star, Melissa Fumero would walk on set with a big flashing neon sign that reads "Love Interest", but it didn't feel like that at all.

Glad to hear there'll be a second season. Looking forward to seeing it live.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: as much as I love all the rest of the cast, Melissa Fumero was the most pleasant surprise of the show for those exact same expectations you mentioned above. The show sets her up as the 'no-nonsense' cop who so happens to fulfill the traditional 'attractive lead woman' slot, but she has tremendous comedic chops and a great dedication to each and every scene she's in.

Now someone post that sandwich gif.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hewlett posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: as much as I love all the rest of the cast, Melissa Fumero was the most pleasant surprise of the show for those exact same expectations you mentioned above. The show sets her up as the 'no-nonsense' cop who so happens to fulfill the traditional 'attractive lead woman' slot, but she has tremendous comedic chops and a great dedication to each and every scene she's in.

Just the sandwich gif? No, we need every gif

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hewlett posted:

OK I LIED IT'S MY FOURTH

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For me it's when she does this super elaborate fist pump after doing something trivial the captain was happy with. That was the moment where I was like "okay she's the best".

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

WarLocke posted:

OK I LIED IT'S MY FOURTH

This is probably the most adorable thing on the earth.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Yeah, she does a great job. You can see the Leslie Knope DNA in her (the showrunner also created and ran (runs?) Parks and Rec) but she also sells her insecurity really well and like I've said before, she and Samberg have solid chemistry. They did have to do the requisite "she has to date another guy and he has to get upset about it" plot, but overall I like how the show has handled the relationship so far.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
If there's a breakout performance from the show it's Fumero. Besides comedic Braugher, but everyone knew he was great from past performances. She hits so many likable notes. It's a lazy comparison but I hope she has a Chris Pratt like surge for her career.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Surprise no one posted this just yet.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I like how literally every single show worth watching is now on Sunday nights.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Leb posted:

I like how literally every single show worth watching is now on Sunday nights.

I think you might need to broaden your tv horizons.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sober posted:

Surprise no one posted this just yet.

Terry Crews just threw Andy Samberg though a window to kick a bad guy in the face.jpg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Democratic Pirate posted:

Terry Crews just threw Andy Samberg though a window to kick a bad guy in the face.jpg

Fastball special, I like it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stop it you're making me picture X-Men/Brooklyn 99 hybrid fanart and I'm not entirely sure I hate it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

xeria posted:

I don't think what I said was a judgment of Modern Family's worthiness as a comedy, just that it's literally won Best Comedy at the Emmys every year its existed to date, while BBT never has.

The one BBT always gets is Sheldon best actor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Rewatched this on netflix (Canadian Netfix rules). God, Andre Braugher is perfectly deadpan, and I really like Boyle, especially once he moved on from Rosa. Yes, he's the stereotypical loser, but he does have compotence, and it's shown the rest of the crew, except Gina, really do like him and consider him a friend, instead of being just a tagalong. I dunno, I like that. Probably cause that (And like his foodieness and such) reminds me of um... me?

EDIT: If somebody can get me a gif of the Precint celebrating Jake's win cutting to Santaigo looking so dejected while the party goes on, I will love you forever

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 3, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwDXV6s3BU

Season 2 trailer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WHOA Stephanie Beatriz sounds nothing like Rosa.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

mind the walrus posted:

That is the most color I have ever seen her wear. It is stunning.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

"Jake's back and you tell him everything."

"....You're right, I'm gonna tell him."

Oh how I have missed this show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how even in the promos they make sure to have Andre Braugher deadpanning it like a motherfucker.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Hockles posted:

That is the most color I have ever seen her wear. It is stunning.

By most color do you mean "something not black"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I knew Stephanie Beatriz was a hottie, but I didn't understand how Boyle could have fallen for her until I saw her in those pink glasses :allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
It's so weird. Like everyone is character. Except Her. It wrinkles my brain.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's so weird. Like everyone is character. Except Her. It wrinkles my brain.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it weird that the first time I saw her with glasses I thought "she looks like a goddamn teenager!"

radlum
May 13, 2013
A part of me (a pervy part) wishes she could wear those glasses in the series. I can't wait for the series to return

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

radlum posted:

A part of me (a pervy part) wishes she could wear those glasses in the series. I can't wait for the series to return

Yeah, it's going to be a long march to September 28th.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
March doesn't come before September.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

mind the walrus posted:

JFC it's like she's doing a Santiago impression

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

So excited for Season 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

March doesn't come before September.

Sure it does.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So Ed Helms has joined for an episode in Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

drunken officeparty posted:

So Ed Helms has joined for an episode in Season 2.

Well, B99 had a good run.

• Locked thread