Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Volmarias posted:

I did not realize this!

In that case, Nevermind!

Are you actually managing managers, and are yoy the direct report of a VP?

if so, you are a Director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Truga posted:

I wonder how many people between Australia and central Europe read that mail. Plain text is the best text.

:nsa:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nitrogen posted:

Are you actually managing managers, and are yoy the direct report of a VP?

if so, you are a Director.

Unless you're in finance, in which case you might go from Associate Director, to Director, to Executive Director, to Managing Director.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

I got a funny ticket the other day. One of our guys sent some dudes in Australia a mail to change one of their DNS records to point to the new web server, because zomg new home site!

Back comes a reply saying literally: "Nobody here has any idea how to do this, so here's our user and password, go here to change stuff."

Later it turned out that their IT was out of office that day for whatever reason, so management just figured they'd unseal the password stash and send it via mail, because why the gently caress not right? New web site is super important. I wonder how many people between Australia and central Europe read that mail. Plain text is the best text.
Okay, but did you fix it?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oh god. It's finally happened to me. Some oddball industrial electron microscope in a far off lab has a computer that finally bit the dust. By the looks of it, it stayed on and running continuously for years. It was covered in about an inch of dust sitting under some boxes in a corner with a note attached to it that said "dont move loose power supply". Of course this computer is needed ASAP!!! Of course the computer is an old xp pentium 4 machine. I've contacted the vendor, we either need to pay the $50k + to get the windows 7 version of whatever snowflake software the microscope uses or we have to wait 4 weeks for them to ship a firmware update to patch the software (that no one knows where the installer is) to get it to work with 7. This is on top of the vendor insisting that we pay another $5k for the machine that they specced out.

Should be an interesting next couple of days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

Okay, but did you fix it?

Yep. Right after changing the password.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like to think of computers attached to expensive equipment as part of the equipment. So if a part of an expensive machine breaks then the fix will be expensive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had a PC die in one of our manufacturing facilities today. This PC ran DOS and had a QBASIC program that controlled one of the plant machines. It ran continuously for 3 shifts for 12 years and was never rebooted or has been turned off in that time. I'm glad it's not my problem.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I bet it had no backup, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luckily the hard drive was fine. Just a dead PSU. I think they are considering porting the code over to a Linux platform now. They got really scared heh.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A recall came in...

No, it's not like my entire company of over 20,000 people have switched to HP laptops around that time, why do you ask? :suicide:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Goddamn HP makes the most hosed laptops. I once had to inspect the bios chip on around 500 Elitebook 8460p's to see if it was one that was defective and causing hardware failure.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volmarias posted:

Pick any or all of the above!

Collect 200, goto start. Shiny titles and cash are less important than my sanity.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
I am home.

Everyone's pissed at IT because a coworker can't print out legal documents because the fuser's broken. The fuser is broken because the printer is worn out. We cannot order a new fuser because finances won't let us because it's worth infinite times what the printer is worth (0). We've been pushing buying new printers forever but no answer from the administration.

And everyone is very nervous and angry because we haven't done anything about the printer. Oh, there's another one in the next office.

Quick edit: I've also had to make a list of people that will be receiving their brand spanking new Display port-to-DVI adapters today because finances REALLY need that poo poo.

Zhiwau fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 29, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why not just DisplayPort directly? Or are your screens ancient enough not to have DP in?

gently caress all D-sub connectors forever

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Most new monitors don't even have displayport in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Every monitor I've bought in the past half-decade or so has had DP and/or HDMI in. I'd consider any screen today that doesn't have either to be functionally flawed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's crazy, I've ordered over 100 monitors this year and they've only had VGA/DVI. Sure, we can get a model with DP if you want to add $50-$75 but who cares, none of our PC's have it anyway.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Even if they have a DP connector they probably won't have a DP cable in the box so you're just as hosed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We have some newer desktops with DisplayPort, but I end up just grabbing some of these versus buying monitors with DisplayPort: http://www.amazon.com/CNE96374-Prem...lay+port+to+dvi

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm on a crusade against everything D-sub because gently caress connectors with screws.

We replaced most of our screens with HP LA2006x ones about two years ago and when we did a hardware refresh this year all the desktops we bought had DP out, so instead of dealing with lovely adapters I just bought DP cables for everyone.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Display port is never on the Newegg special. Fortunately most of the business desktops have display port ++ so you can use cheaper passive adapter cables.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Two tickets came in.

one machine, according to the ticket, "is completely non-functional. Will not power off or on". Thinking what could possibly lead to a case of Schroedinger's Printer, I took a low-voltage power supply with me. Got there, reached behind the machine, flicked the power switch, it boots up and prints everything. The end user wasn't in her office at the time but caught me later and asked how I fixed it. I told her and she looked completely bewildered.

The second one claimed that the printer was running but no paper was coming out. The back door was open and all the paper was piling up next to the fuser. I didn't even have to say anything, the nurses started berating themselves for not noticing a door half the width of the printer hanging out into space.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm a little uneasy about that first ticket since it also wouldn't power off - that's how the singularity will begin.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Schrödinger's printer.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I worked on a printer that had 3 power switches. One was in the rear, next to the power cord and doubled as a circuit breaker. The second was behind the front panel. The third was under the H-transport. I'm pretty sure the finisher had it's own power switch too, as did the high capacity feeder if that was installed. Then there was the optional DFE, which would have its own power switch, and the power save button on the UI.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whatever happened to the guy whose backup discontinuation ate a bunch of legal data? Did he get eaten by lawyers?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm a little uneasy about that first ticket since it also wouldn't power off - that's how the singularity will begin.

When I did phone tech support for Apple, I had a caller who was totally bewildered. She couldn't turn her computer off... even by unplugging it.

I never did figure out what she actually HAD unplugged. She was... not the smartest person I've ever talked to.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

FireSight posted:

When I did phone tech support for Apple, I had a caller who was totally bewildered. She couldn't turn her computer off... even by unplugging it.

I never did figure out what she actually HAD unplugged. She was... not the smartest person I've ever talked to.

Wow hey there once-did-phone-tech-support-for-Apple buddy! I don't suppose it was in a meth-ridden shithole in Oregon by any chance? I did 1-800-sos-appl support for years (not to be confused with 1-800-s0s-appl which is a phone sex line) down that way.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Entropic posted:

Whatever happened to the guy whose backup discontinuation ate a bunch of legal data? Did he get eaten by lawyers?

No updates to that - possibly due to lawyer-weasel activity, possibly due to critical IT infrastructure deployment.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Oyster posted:

one machine, according to the ticket, "is completely non-functional. Will not power off or on". Thinking what could possibly lead to a case of Schroedinger's Printer, I took a low-voltage power supply with me. Got there, reached behind the machine, flicked the power switch, it boots up and prints everything. The end user wasn't in her office at the time but caught me later and asked how I fixed it. I told her and she looked completely bewildered.

Did you tell her that simply willing the printer to turn on isn't enough?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm on a crusade against everything D-sub because gently caress connectors with screws.

We replaced most of our screens with HP LA2006x ones about two years ago and when we did a hardware refresh this year all the desktops we bought had DP out, so instead of dealing with lovely adapters I just bought DP cables for everyone.

gently caress connectors without screws.It may take a few more seconds to tighten down screws, but then I don't have clients coming to me with intermittent mystery issues from cables that are ever so slightly not fully engaged.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

DisplayPort connecters don't have screws but still lock in. Works well. Of course mini-DP has neither, but also works well. Anything with pins are poo poo.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Can we just agree that all connectors are loving terrible except right angle ones?

We have these kiosks at work that are jammed into stainless steel boxes with a touchscreen and an overhead hdtv. And payphone guts, but they're not the problem. The problem is that the guys who do CAD for the airport love to build things just barely larger than they have to be, and so these SFF optiplex XE's are shoved in there super tight. You have to use a shoulder to shut some of them and the connectors break fairly frequently.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gunjin posted:

gently caress connectors without screws.It may take a few more seconds to tighten down screws, but then I don't have clients coming to me with intermittent mystery issues from cables that are ever so slightly not fully engaged.
Magnets.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Honestly, BNC connectors are where it's at.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Cables? Man, you guys are really living in the past.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apple's magsafe power cords are the best thing ever. I loathe every single other laptop power cord in comparison.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GreenNight posted:

DisplayPort connecters don't have screws but still lock in. Works well. Of course mini-DP has neither, but also works well. Anything with pins are poo poo.

Agree with this - at a couple old jobs and my current one, we still have a few old boxes that use Nvidia cards with those old DMS-59 connectors. Without fail, someone will try to put one in upside-down or use way too much force, and a pin will get bent/broken. Which results in the slightest touch on the connector or movement of the Y cable making the monitor flicker, shut off, or turn into pretty rainbow colors. I can stand VGA, I can stand DVI, but gently caress those DMS-59 connectors right in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Entropic posted:

No, I'm still here.

We ...

Um.....

We haven't exactly...TOLD them. About it. As such.

• Locked thread