Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

They should be making Nocturne 2. Playing it for the first time now and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SMT4 is Nocturne 2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

projecthalaxy posted:

This is true. Make P3 spinoffs instead. And by "spinoff" I mean "HD Rerelease synergizing FES and Portable's content".

Only if they remember to include Minako.

Because you know that if that kind of remake happened, she'd be left out. :smith:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the saddest thing would be if only theodore knew she even existed. the velvet room exists outside of reality, so in theory it's very possible the two could've been coming and going independently.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

gently caress Rise and dancing, I want a Nanako karaoke game.

Junes theme is the only song available.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
MAN, Fatal End crits like crazy in P3

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You know now that I think about it, Marie isn't that bad.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

My problem with Strange Journey is that it just doesn't know when to ease up and dungeons just get progressively more and more ridiculous, between one way doors, teleporters, hazardous floors, unmappable hallways and the loving phase shifter.

Edit: Oh yeah and Sector H is a real kick in the teeth too, with invisible walkways that extend the boundaries of the map and a maze where the walls come up as you approach them so the maze walls are never actually loving mapped.

this man speaks truth

The Delphinus map just completely turned me off of this game

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They're actually doing it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why does Japan like Person 3 more? Is it because they hate scooby doo?

Edit: V Eh it's fine.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 29, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

FauxGateau posted:

Why does Japan like Person 3 more? Is it because they hate scooby doo?

Duhh gee idk man probably because it's Really Good and is better than some lame knockoff the same people made?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do they even like it more? I vaguely remember that popularity poll that pops up in the thread every now and then being dominated by P4 characters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Japan does not like Persona 3 more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Waifu posted:

Also Persona 3 is pretty bad.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beef Waifu posted:

For real? I thought they liked the dark and dreary feeling (you know the one with rap and hip-hop music) of the game more? Although that would explain the numerous P4 spin-offs.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's good

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sorry you were born with such poo poo taste bro

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

itt: a bunch of goons who dont know nothin

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't like your opinions.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FauxGateau posted:

For real? I thought they liked the dark and dreary feeling (you know the one with rap and hip-hop music) of the game more? Although that would explain the numerous P4 spin-offs.

They definitely like Persona 3 but that doesn't preclude them from liking Persona 4 more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's not wrong.

FauxGateau posted:

There is a reason Persona finally broke into notoriety with P4.

Excels posted:

itt: a bunch of goons who dont know nothin

You least of all have the right to say this.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

well i am goon in this thread so,

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beef Waifu posted:

There is a reason Persona finally broke into notoriety with P4.

Hmm that's true although I would've thought that would be the western side of things moreso since P4 seemed to garner more attention than P3 did in the west.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

I mean its still better than most jrpgs (including all non-persona, non-devil survivor megaten games), but yeah the story and characters are mostly garbage.

I considered playing the P3P female route a while back but then realized that I would have to play the other bits of P3 as well and that dog doesn't hunt.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^^ This guy gets it.

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't like your opinions.

Excels posted:

Sorry you were born with such poo poo taste bro

Saagonsa posted:

It's good

90% of the S. Links were garbage and you couldn't control your teammates. Also it had Ken, Fuuka, and Yukari in it. That game had problems.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

We wouldn't be getting all these spinoffs if it was just a Western thing (including Japanese only light novels and movies and poo poo). They'd also likely have said something about Persona 5 at E3 if there was any kind of Western focus.

edit: Every game in the SMT series has a garbage story. All of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like Persona 3 definitely has a notable fanbase in Japan, but Persona 4 is the breakout game. Everyone loves p much everything about it and it's where most of the dumb merchandising comes from as well, not to say P3 doesn't have dumb merchandising of its own, of course. I honestly see Western fans trying to act like P3 is the super cool popular one, but that's because most fans of these games are teenagers/young adults who either got exposed to the series through P3 or think they're hot poo poo for liking a less popular game that they think is edgy.

Also playing Japanese players in Ultimax is the funniest thing ever.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Authorman posted:

I mean its still better than most jrpgs (including all non-persona, non-devil survivor megaten games), but yeah the story and characters are mostly garbage.

I considered playing the P3P female route a while back but then realized that I would have to play the other bits of P3 as well and that dog doesn't hunt.

Well to be honest the P3P FeMC route does a lot towards making the story better (taking away the answer, female viewpoint, different music and events) it's interesting enough on it's own that I would probably give it a play on that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: Every game in the SMT series has a garbage story. All of them.

This is also true. Most of them just have pretty good characters, tone, design, and combat that drags them above the really boring stories. Like I couldn't give a gently caress about all the "You gotta get a REASON and then punch God at the top of the TOWER" but man are the ideas in that setting pretty neat. Like Aradia and the Shadow worlds. And the manikans. And the Amala network!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is also true. Most of them just have pretty good characters, tone, design, and combat that drags them above the really boring stories.

Yeah SMT especially has a problem with this. Persona at least tries to distract from this by giving you loads of other poo poo to do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Megaten by and large does not have engaging stories. The place where the games shine usually is aesthetics, characters, and their gameplay being pretty diversified despite the fact each game shares conventions from another. Also I am a huge mythology nerd so I just got attracted to this game because I was one of like 5 people who actually knew who the gently caress Izanagi and Cu Chulainn were when I was like 14.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I should stop getting my hopes up for p5 information when I see lots of posts in this thread. It invariably turns out to be at least a page worth of people arguing that their opinions are objective facts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blhue posted:

I should stop getting my hopes up for p5 information when I see lots of posts in this thread. It invariably turns out to be at least a page worth of people arguing that their opinions are objective facts.

It's like 3 weeks till TGS. You're not gonna hear anything about P5 until then so don't get your hopes up.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

^^^^ This guy gets it.

90% of the S. Links were garbage and you couldn't control your teammates. Also it had Ken, Fuuka, and Yukari in it. That game had problems.

However, it had syphilis

How does aigis turn into syphilis

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I wish the writing overall in P5 will be better, because to me that is one of the only things aside from social link/main story integration that really needs any improvement. But yeah, as long as the characters are as likable as they are in 4 I'd be cool with it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blhue posted:

Gourmet King is objectively poo poo. Argue that away Minato! Oh hands in the pockets? Okay.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I wish the writing overall in P5 will be better, because to me that is one of the only things aside from social link/main story integration that really needs any improvement. But yeah, as long as the characters are as likable as they are in 4 I'd be cool with it.

Expect a lot more than that since the Golden was pretty much an experiment in how to tie S. Links into the main story line a lot better. They tried to it with both new social links.

Maybe picking your waifu will be reflected in the story. Rise hitting on Yu the whole time was kind of absolutely weird if you were dating anyone in the group. You'd figure Yosuke would have some words to say.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nobody actually seemed to know what was happening in regards to that. Like with Valentine's Day or when you picked someone to go to the festival.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

im hoping for no more loving teenagers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's already been confirmed in high school, dog.