Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Not to alarm The Sex Cannon or Goat Bouillabaise but there is a distinct possibility that I may be moving to Western New York for a job. Any 40k goons out there? Maybe in Rochester?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
http://app.torrentoffire.com/#/tournament/NOVA-Open/1/leaderboard

Is a way to follow the NOVA, 180 people!!! That's a great turn out.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Direwolf posted:

Not to alarm The Sex Cannon or Goat Bouillabaise but there is a distinct possibility that I may be moving to Western New York for a job. Any 40k goons out there? Maybe in Rochester?

State or city? If state you should probably watch these movies to prepare yourself:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Schenectady/6LnxCX?src=5

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ijyt posted:

The Inferno Gun was shown, which is Hellstorm template, S7, AP3, Heavy 1. Can be torrented up to 18 inches.

Ewwwwwww. I... don't really know what they can do to cost that thing appropriately, given how strong a gun that is in normal 40K. It'd have to be well over 500pts, because the Inferno Gun can easily kill off 2-3 entire squads in a single blast.

Definitely looks better from that angle than from others, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbusePuppy posted:

Ewwwwwww. I... don't really know what they can do to cost that thing appropriately, given how strong a gun that is in normal 40K. It'd have to be well over 500pts, because the Inferno Gun can easily kill off 2-3 entire squads in a single blast.

Definitely looks better from that angle than from others, though.

The old Slaanesh Subjugator had a S6 AP3 hellstorm (no torrent) and I want to say two battle cannons for 500

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Well, for one as I recall those weren't official rules but just something that the internet cooked up, as I don't believe any of the Knights ever got an official rules release. For two, the Torrent effect makes a bit of a difference in how many models you're able to hit, as it gives you much more freedom of placement.

FW has cleaned up a lot of their worst offenders crowd recently, but I think that's more an accident than anything; they still pretty clearly don't have much of a grasp of how to balance units, which is unfortunate.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, for one as I recall those weren't official rules but just something that the internet cooked up, as I don't believe any of the Knights ever got an official rules release. For two, the Torrent effect makes a bit of a difference in how many models you're able to hit, as it gives you much more freedom of placement.

FW has cleaned up a lot of their worst offenders crowd recently, but I think that's more an accident than anything; they still pretty clearly don't have much of a grasp of how to balance units, which is unfortunate.

They were official rules, back when GW hosted Apocalypse datasheets

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no way you make something like the Navigator and then go "Oh is that overpowered?", it has to be intentional.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

There's no way you make something like the Navigator and then go "Oh is that overpowered?", it has to be intentional.

Are you talking about the Expeditionary Navigator? I don't think he's that bad.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished a game against suit-heavy Tau with my mostly infantry Biel-Tan Eldar. A bloodbath on both sides, including both my Farseer and Avatar, but I won on points and popped both his Ethereal and Riptide. I really, really hated that Riptide.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
I'm looking to part with some of my Tyranid conversions. It's hard to do, since I have really good memories of making and fielding these guys, but I need to open up a little space. I'd be willing to convert them for your needs (if, say, you wanted the Carnifexes to have twin-linked Devourers) and/or repaint them to a color scheme of your choosing.

If any of these interest you, shoot me a PM or email me at p.h.dolan at gmail. I can take new and better pictures for you, if you like.

The "Brutefex":

The "Krootfex":

Tyranid Prime with boneswords:

Converted Broodlord (visible in the back of the first picture and front-right of the second):

Minorly-converted Broodlord with implant attack tongue, crouched pose, and skeleton on the base:

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 30, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Are you talking about the Expeditionary Navigator? I don't think he's that bad.

He would be a lot better if they brought the perils of the warp rule up to 7th edition standards

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 30, 2014

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sharing from the Fantasy Thread.

:siren::siren::siren:Just another reminder that i'm selling my Beastmen!:siren::siren::siren:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660318&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post433986252

For anyone who's, you know, interested :ohdear:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

NOVA Open trip report: Day Two!

1st game, my Steel LEgion against a dude with a bunch of Wave Serpents and fire prisms. I lost, predictably, but not in a ridiculous manner. I kept most of my poo poo in reserve, and, on turn two, my officer of the fleet actually did his thing and brought all of my reserves in on the same turn. Problem was, once they were there, they didn't do anything. A pathetic round of shooting led me ot getting picked off, one unit at a time. Oh well. My opponent was a really cool dude, so it was a win in then end, because I think I'll probably play him again.

2nd game:
Opponent had an IG tank list. 1 Baneblade, 5 Russes, 1 Hydra, 1 Bombard. His Baneblade killed half of my tanks on turn 1, but then they made a very effective LOS blocker and my Vendettas ran wild. Dude was cool, but I think he might have beeen mad because he lost.

Takeaways= I actually won a game! Incredible, I know. I'm still having a great time. WhiteOutMouse and MasterSlowPoke are now my bros for life.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So if I ever wanted to participate in a tournament, are there any limits as to what kinds of models I'm allowed to use? I'd like to get a set of Firedrakes one day and field them as assault terminators. Would that kind of thing ever be a problem?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Star Man posted:

So if I ever wanted to participate in a tournament, are there any limits as to what kinds of models I'm allowed to use? I'd like to get a set of Firedrakes one day and field them as assault terminators. Would that kind of thing ever be a problem?

They're just normal thunder hammer/Storm shield terminators in 40k. Theres no problem there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BuffaloChicken posted:

The "Krootfex":

I don't know if that was your intention, but he's so adorable :3:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

The Tournament Organizer (TO) generally declares unit restrictions and any special rules long before the tournament to allow players time to build valid lists. Most will then require you to "lock in" your choices and submit a formal list a while before the tournament begins. If you ever have a problem or question, always ask your TO prior to the tournament to avoid awkwardness and/or being disqualified.

TOs are players just like everyone else, but each one has their own slants on the game and each tournament tends to be slightly unique for this reason.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

The Sex Cannon posted:

NOVA Open trip report: Day Two!

1st game, my Steel LEgion against a dude with a bunch of Wave Serpents and fire prisms. I lost, predictably, but not in a ridiculous manner. I kept most of my poo poo in reserve, and, on turn two, my officer of the fleet actually did his thing and brought all of my reserves in on the same turn. Problem was, once they were there, they didn't do anything. A pathetic round of shooting led me ot getting picked off, one unit at a time. Oh well. My opponent was a really cool dude, so it was a win in then end, because I think I'll probably play him again.

2nd game:
Opponent had an IG tank list. 1 Baneblade, 5 Russes, 1 Hydra, 1 Bombard. His Baneblade killed half of my tanks on turn 1, but then they made a very effective LOS blocker and my Vendettas ran wild. Dude was cool, but I think he might have beeen mad because he lost.

Takeaways= I actually won a game! Incredible, I know. I'm still having a great time. WhiteOutMouse and MasterSlowPoke are now my bros for life.

Forgot to mention the #1 highlight from game 2:

A Platoon Command Squad took out a commissar tank with frag grenades. Ha!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How? Didn't think you could use frags against a vehicle.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

AgentF posted:

How? Didn't think you could use frags against a vehicle.

Technically you can, but frag grenades are only strength 3. so v0v

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're s4 in combat.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Well the lancer is supposed to be faster but less durable isnt it? Normally you'd communicate that through design by making it skinnier with longer legs.

Oh, yeah, that's true. Looking back at it with that in mind, I rather like it, actually!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Star Man posted:

Generally speaking, you will have to follow WYSWIG (What You See Is What You Get) restriction at tournaments- that is, any models used in an army must show all of the relevant gear. So the Firedrakes would be fine as Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators, but but not as regular Power Fist/Storm Bolter Terminators or as Centurions. Some tournaments may also have additional restrictions- it used to be common to have a "at least 60% GW parts" rule, but this has since been dropped pretty much entirely in my experience. Extensive conversions occasionally require approval from the TO, but this is usually more the exception than the normal.

There also tend to be more rules-based limitations on the sort of army you can field (number/types of detachments, etc), but that doesn't sound like it's the main concern you had.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're s4 in combat.

Actually this is only true for the Eldar's Plasma Grenades. Frag Grenades can't be used as a melee weapon.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

They were official rules, back when GW hosted Apocalypse datasheets

You wouldn't happen to know anything more specific than this, would you? I was moderately certain I had never seen any rules for Knights in 40K other than the fan-created ones, so I'm interested in what they were statted out as before.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think most major tournaments and most for that matter not held at a GW store don't give a poo poo. I know Adepticon , BAO, and NOVA do not care as long as the model is easily distinguishable as to what it is and it is actually a theme in the army.

Like if you used a Warmachine model as a one off in your army that wouldn't be cool, but if all of your Termies were converted from Warmachine, they wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it was evidently clear what it was suppose to be and it was distinguished.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

AbusePuppy posted:

You wouldn't happen to know anything more specific than this, would you? I was moderately certain I had never seen any rules for Knights in 40K other than the fan-created ones, so I'm interested in what they were statted out as before.

I've been trying to find archives of them with the wayback machine but a lot of stuff just doesn't work. I know they used to have a ton of the Apoc datasheets up there, and I distinctly recall downloading the rules for the Subjugator from the GW site.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I distinctly remember the Slaaneshi thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slimnoid posted:

I've been trying to find archives of them with the wayback machine but a lot of stuff just doesn't work. I know they used to have a ton of the Apoc datasheets up there, and I distinctly recall downloading the rules for the Subjugator from the GW site.

Was the info in a certain white dwarf?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

I know they had a lot of stuff online and various datasheets and all, I just don't ever remember seeing the Subjugator or Knights as 40K units. (Though they had rules in Epic.) Obviously other people do, of course, so...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
How many combi-meltas come in the Chaos Termjnator box? How many power axes?

Also, when were the Chaos Bikes, Astartes Bikes, and Scout Bikes last updated?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LingcodKilla posted:

Was the info in a certain white dwarf?

I wouldn't know. My only exposure to it was the GW site.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Anyone at NOVA know what the lone Chaos Daemon player is playing?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sulecrist posted:

How many combi-meltas come in the Chaos Termjnator box? How many power axes?

Sprue pics that I can find show one combi-melta and two power axes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hollismason posted:

Anyone at NOVA know what the lone Chaos Daemon player is playing?

Which one? There are a billion demon players.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just in general, was wondering if anyone was going for Summoning.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Just in general, was wondering if anyone was going for Summoning.

Haven't seen it yet in my gaming groups, sadly.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Oh man, lessons learned last night.

Played a 1750 game at my buddy's house last night. 1750, we said, that sounds like a substantial but still modestly sized game.

We both chose daemon summoning themed lists independently. My daemons/orks vs CSM/daemons. We started at like 7:30pm and ended at loving 4am, probably closer to 5k on the board in the middle of the game. Absolutely ridiculous. I ended up losing cuz, yeah, summoning lists have a limited amount of actual damage dealing capacity and I was a bit more fully invested in it than my opponent. His daemon prince did manage to fly around completely unimpeded the entire time, creating I think 50 horrors and 3 flamers during the course of the game. GROSS. Fun, but harrowing as gently caress to play.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how did at most 7 turns take you 9 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Beer, weed, pizza, dogs, new ork codex, full 7 turns, still fairly new to the edition, and almost entirely infantry-based armies.

• Locked thread