Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the idea of the entire game being a stage production and the "actors" shooting the poo poo with each other in the aftermath. Just... pulled off better, I suppose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Airblade is like literally going to be 3 videos long :psyduck: it's shorter than this post

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
So let's get that short game rolling, shall we? The plot block is now officially trucking along, though you might wish that it wasn't.

Sticking it to the man: Let's Play Airblade

What is this game?

Airblade is a hoverboarding game made by Criterion. Like, the Burnout people. Yes. Since you are not limited to your wheels, Airblade lets you have all the freedom a board with anti-gravity lets you have. Slide along every surface you want, trick wherever you want, and then literally turn on a dime. That last point might be worse than it sounds.

Airblade is also 'known' for its 'plot'. In a confusingly distopian future, a company named GCP has developed anti-grav technology and one of their workers, Oscar, has put it into a hoverboard. He steals the board and brings it back to his apartment, where GCP comes looking for it. You are Ethan, one of Oscar's roommates, and you have to steal the board and trick across the city in SIX, count them, SIX different levels to get Oscar back and...err...just stick it to the man along the way. Why, Criterion, why?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is the game?

Airblade should control a lot better than it does. Like I said, you turn way too quickly, so you will bump into things all over the place along the way. The writing is hot garbage, the voice acting is reheated garbage, and the music is...uneventful, except for one track. However, there is one big thing that people will notice if they play the game.

Some games have a difficulty curve. Airblade has a vertical wall. Your first time through, you WILL get stuck on a level. You have to beat all the objectives in a level in one run - There's no coming back in to get any you missed. Your first time through, if you don't know where things are, it may take you hours to do something, and then your second time through, you will have no trouble. As I say in the video, I streamed my first time playing this game and bumbled through the 6-level story in 3 hours or so. The second time through, in this LP, I do it in 45 minutes.

If you want to play this without any spoilers yourself, well, close away from the page now, but also know it's going to feel like a 4 or 5. However, after you have the levels under your belt, things feel more fun and you have leniency and it jumps up to a 6 or 7. Everything besides the gameplay stays just as hokey, though.

All that said, let's get on with the game.

Airblade Part 1: Hideout and Downtown

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This game looks and sounds like a Saints Row 2 sidequest.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Will you all be LPing BMX XXX?

Please say you will be LPing BMX XXX. :ohdear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMX_XXX

[e]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080%C2%B0_Snowboarding

1080 Snowboarding on the N64 is legitimately awesome, by the way. What other game lets you snowboard as a penguin?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 26, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Will you all be LPing BMX XXX?

Please say you will be LPing BMX XXX. :ohdear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMX_XXX

[e]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080%C2%B0_Snowboarding

1080 Snowboarding on the N64 is legitimately awesome, by the way. What other game lets you snowboard as a penguin?

Yes, we will be doing BMX XXX. And 1080 Avalanche let us play as a moose, if that counts. But outside of that series, I don't know.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Honey, I own the cops!

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
Holy crap I remember playing the demo for this at a Target long long ago and thinking it was the COOLEST thing.

It's an AIRBLADE. It rides of AIR. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
We've got a few things ready to watch in this post. I'll link the ones that aren't Airblade first so you don't miss them. First off, blanktester bought me two games that he covered in paper so I wouldn't know what they were until I went to play them. Yesterday, at the end of my stream, I asked people what game I should do first: A or B. They picked A. It was Winter Invitational Sports 2002. It was garbage.

Let's NOT Play Winter Invitational Sports 2002: Watch the full highlight on Youtube.

Also, I started playing the next game in the plot block, Dark Summit. I rode around a fairly barren mountainside yesterday, and that was pretty much it, but there was one amazing thing that happened during the stream. So here is that highlight: darksummitphysics.wmv

Now, let's move on with Airblade. In this episode, we sneak into a GCP compound and trash both the outside and inside before hopping on a subway train. A train that's connected straight to the observatory deck of a warehouse. Yeah, don't think about it too much.

Airblade Part 2: Industrial & Storage

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

InSnowflake watches the tutorial listing every button to press in an event and proceeds to facegrind and yell "what am I supposed to do?!"
:allears:

It's amazing how little the Olympic sims changed since the 80s.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ovues posted:

Let's NOT Play Winter Invitational Sports 2002: Watch the full highlight on Youtube.
That intro reminds me of this game's intro, this was on the SNES so I don't think it had to power to do that insane mash up but it feels like that's what they wanted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWNzrlxhir4

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

InSnowflake watches the tutorial listing every button to press in an event and proceeds to facegrind and yell "what am I supposed to do?!"
:allears:

It's amazing how little the Olympic sims changed since the 80s.

Was it the first ski jump event? Because a nice little tutorial does NOT tell you poo poo about how to handle 4 different things on a bunch of bars that are all moving around differently. The rest I just have awful timing or can't balance my speed well, but that was a visual brain****. The snowboarding halfpipe was the only one I should have picked up on long before I did, but again, information overload was strong in that game.

I'm not really picking up on if you were being sarcastic or serious at the moment, if you couldn't tell.

Croccers posted:

That intro reminds me of this game's intro, this was on the SNES so I don't think it had to power to do that insane mash up but it feels like that's what they wanted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWNzrlxhir4

That...is still a lot to get in an intro for an SNES game. I wasn't around to have an SNES (N64 first console best console) but I didn't think many games had intros like that. Now, the text-letters-flashing-a-bit-too-fast may have been a bit overkill.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 30, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

From the commentary it sounded like you were trying to read the manual while the tutorials were explaining.
The jump was weird, yeah. R1/L1 to take off, then balance the steam gauges and then you have to hit the landing button.

Turning the half-pipe tricking into Chose Your Own Adventure with QTE was probably the way to avoid coding any jumping physics. The game had no jumping physics at all, right? The big jumps were button mash and stick wobbling, mogul was a rhythm exercise and figure skating was a cutscene. The only time you jumped a bit in Downhill the camera went nuts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... guess that cutscene was about pouring oil on the ground and that guy slipped and fell on it?

I was expecting his cigar to light it up.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

From the commentary it sounded like you were trying to read the manual while the tutorials were explaining.
The jump was weird, yeah. R1/L1 to take off, then balance the steam gauges and then you have to hit the landing button.

Turning the half-pipe tricking into Chose Your Own Adventure with QTE was probably the way to avoid coding any jumping physics. The game had no jumping physics at all, right? The big jumps were button mash and stick wobbling, mogul was a rhythm exercise and figure skating was a cutscene. The only time you jumped a bit in Downhill the camera went nuts.

That makes sense. That makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why they did the halfpipe event the way they did. You either did the whole animation for a trick or didn't do a trick at all. No going half in here.

Now, we've only seen Airblade for a scant couple weeks, but it's already time to end our journey. On this last episode, we climb to the top of GCP to take back our friend, but it might be tougher than Ethan thinks. Also, our main character racks up the biggest bodycount of any character in any of these games, and we learn one massive connection that ties this game cleanly into the whole overarching plot, whatever it is.

Airblade part 3: Corporate HQ & Penthouse

Text Link

Now, I was partly joking on what I said in the video, but the game seriously does not explain ANYTHING going on that isn't directly related to our boy Ethan's journey. What is the rest of society like? What will be the full benefits and uses of this new antigravity technology? What do Ethan's parents think? If you feel up to answering literally any of the questions this game left me, Jamie, or you with, feel free. I won't be able to get Dark Summit started for another week or so, so the thread will just sort of be sitting around until then. I hope I can still post here and respond to any questions, but video recording or uploading isn't going to happen for a bit, basically. It's okay. It's not like the plot block could get any worse...

...right?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
It took an extra day or two, but we're finally ready to begin Dark Summit.

Sticking it to the man, part 2: Let's Play Dark Summit!

What is this game?

Dark Summit is a snowboarding game developed by Radical Entretainment and published by THQ. In it, you are an agant trying to figure out what's going on on Mt. Garrick and why the Government has shut it down. To do so, you become a member of the banned snowboarding community (instead of the just-fine-skiing community?) and get to work. Not like all the acid pools would immediately tip you off.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is this game?

Dark Summit has some...immediate problems. There is too much mountain for the amount of things on the mountain. With the inablility to warp anywhere except to the top of the 4 areas, you might have to ride 5 minutes back down the mountain if the only challenge left to do it in the same place as the last one you did, just on a higher tier. That is definitely the toughest thing here - the physics can be worked through, and there are decent ways of completing most goals. But there is a lot of dead air in between the goals. Dark Summit drags pretty quickly, so it only gets a 5 out of 10. Also the plot is ridiculous and only barely has much to do with anything, but still.

But with these videos edited down a bit, see for yourself and tell me what you think. I think this one might, again be better for you than for me.

Dark Summit Part 1 - Intro & First Cut (1/2)

Text Link

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least this has demonstrable amounts of Man-to-it-sticking, as opposed to giving the Man what he wants right in his stupid face.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Well, at least this has demonstrable amounts of Man-to-it-sticking, as opposed to giving the Man what he wants right in his stupid face.

Hey! Ethan got his bro back, and that's all that matters. Bros before Boards, man, haven't you heard?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
The real Dark Summit starts here?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

The real Dark Summit starts here?

The real Dark Summit starts here.

Dark Summit Part 2: First Cut (2/2)

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So far it's not really dark, is it? More like a truckload of colour printer cartridges rolled down the mountain.
Will things get more extreme, than "Get to the yellow outhouse"? Will the mystery of the yellow snow be solved?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This was not the game I was expecting when I voted for it. In fact it seems very similair to the previous games we played in this thread, I still like the concept though.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Tombot posted:

This was not the game I was expecting when I voted for it. In fact it seems very similair to the previous games we played in this thread, I still like the concept though.

Dank Summit is dank buddy. And boring.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it me or was the landscape slightly more piss- and poo-colored on that "run to the outhouse" mission?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Tombot posted:

I'm going to be real honest with you - what kind of game were you expecting from Dark Summit? We have played TWO+ years of games for this thread and (aside from Toxic Grind) we have not ONCE gotten a game with a standout plot, fantastic controllers, great graphics, great gameplay...

None of which will be bestowed upon you in our continued trek up this summit.

Dark Summit Part 3: Function Junction

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The cutscenes make progressively less sense, it's like the game's brain is melting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the idea of doing mad tricks off a ski jump.

I... also notice the skiers tend to avoid the rails and such? Do any of them ever ride them?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I do like the idea of doing mad tricks off a ski jump.

I... also notice the skiers tend to avoid the rails and such? Do any of them ever ride them?

Nope. The other riders are all on the Ski Patrol, so they PLAY BY THE RULES. They don't ride rails, they don't do big jumps, they don't do anything but ride and *try* to avoid obstacles. Key word: try.

Dark Summit Part 4: Pipeline and Summit (1/2)

Text Link

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
When I saw this game on a PSW DVD, it looked like it was a game with lots of intrigue and mystery with lots of cool snowboarding. Not your average paint by numbers extreme sports game about taking dumps and destroying snowmen and beating people up for thier milk money. Bizzare.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, pro skating actually showed you where stuff was in the level. These missions don't even do that!

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Tombot posted:

When I saw this game on a PSW DVD, it looked like it was a game with lots of intrigue and mystery with lots of cool snowboarding. Not your average paint by numbers extreme sports game about taking dumps and destroying snowmen and beating people up for thier milk money. Bizzare.

But there is a lot of intrigue and mystery! I'm currently trying to figure out the mystery of what the hell's going on!

Today, in this part, we get the fourth bomb piece, and then we get challenged by the chief. Can we make it down to base in time to cancel our termination? Or will the chief finally throw us off this very, very dark summit?

Dark Summit Part 5: Summit (2/2)

Text Link

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this game is so loving bad

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There's an area above the summit?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
As barebones as Airblade was, at least we know we were sticking it to The Man and rescuing our buddy.
Our mission here is to collect bomb pieces so they'd stop blowing up their own mountain? I'm going to guess Agent Ski Patrol Man was a double-agent trying to blow up something dumb like aliens, from what that intro told us.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Applause and gasps from... the studio audience? Heck was up with that cutscene?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

There's an area above the summit?

...Yes. Well, it appears to be the summit of a smaller mountain offset from the main one. So it's more like we move over to that one, I guess.

Croccers posted:

As barebones as Airblade was, at least we know we were sticking it to The Man and rescuing our buddy.
Our mission here is to collect bomb pieces so they'd stop blowing up their own mountain? I'm going to guess Agent Ski Patrol Man was a double-agent trying to blow up something dumb like aliens, from what that intro told us.

No, no, we're collecting the bombs to blow up THEIR poo poo and free the mountain for everyone. That's right, the government sent us in to stop the government from shutting down the mountain so the government can force the government to open it back up I DON'T KNOW! I don't know, okay?

Though, keep that thought in mind about the aliens as you watch this next video, where Dark Summit manages to get even crazier.

Dark Summit Part 6: Helidrop (1/2)

Text Link

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't what even huh?
Somehow they manage to make less effort than Airblade's story.
gently caress, even Skate 2 had a better plot.
Play the Skate games.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I just realised, this game looks just like a bad GMOD map. Everything looks like its just one huge plane that got bent and warped like cloth and had random objects pasted on it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

I don't what even huh?
Somehow they manage to make less effort than Airblade's story.
gently caress, even Skate 2 had a better plot.
Play the Skate games.

You don't know me.

Dark Summit Part 7: Helidrop (2/2) & Ending

Text Link

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the end of Dark Summit. Well, it's the end of the main game. There will be bonus vids. But still, this is what the game ends on. This is where the campaing stops. A peak of crazy, only untopped by the fact that there is nothing that comes after to top it with.

Now, three or four months ago, we started the plot block. I gave you guys three games to pick from, and you chose Whirl Tour first, then Airblade, then Dark Summit. This is my personal opinion, but we started with the most competently-presented game and then only went downhill from there. Perhaps I will type up a bigger retrospective of the three games and post it here, but not now. Just watch the video above, and form your own conclusions about what Dark Summit means and what it's done to you. I'll see you soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I think the best part about Radical Entertainment is that they made the lovely, horrible versions of Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine. I mean, I know a lot of people already think those games are bad for whatever reason they believe, but the NES versions are just... There's no defending them. They are just plain bad. They're even less capable of teaching anything.

They also helped Bebe's Kids become a thing, and while I've seen worse, there's no denying its place in history as one of the worst received games in game history, if not the worst.

• Locked thread