Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

But that wouldn't work at all. The dipshits and assholes would blame women even further because someone they hate took away something they liked. It would just exacerbate the problem.

e:beaten

This.

The "take Steam down for an hour to punish misogyny" idea is retarded. Not because we just can't live without VIDJA GAMES for an hour but because it won't loving do anything to help. You live in a different world if you think that punitively taking away people's access to online services will make them less angry instead of more, and that's ignoring the fact that 99% of the Steam user base has no relation to the issue at hand. The best case scenario is that a bunch of people are upset they couldn't play a game and nothing at all changes. The likely scenario is it stirs up even more resentment and pushes the trolls to be even more brazen, or it does their recruitment for them.

It's a stupid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Guys it wasn't a serious suggestions. You realize we're on a comedy forum right? A place for jokes and hyperbole? We don't have to actually discuss the merits and flaws of a plan suggested by forums post MY DICK IS ON FIRE as if it was going to be legitimately enacted.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I loving hate these "If you're a real friend (like me :smuggo:), you'll like/share/comment on this post". If you feel the need to cull your friends list so often, maybe don't friend so many people left and right in the first place.

imgur comments are fair game, right? This came from a picture of an honestly kickass man cave. There's nothing wrong with nobodyunderstand's comment, I actually like the cut of his jib.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

1stGear posted:

Kids can be incredibly cruel and I can absolutely see some little assholes forcing the nerdy kid with the peanut allergy to eat peanut butter.

When I was in grade school a girl in my class was going to give a cookie that had peanut butter to the deathly allergic girl in our class because she didn't like her. Kids can't really comprehend the severity of things like that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Some of the comments on this are amazing.

quote:

Ekrisst 1 hour ago 1 10
Let's look at the double standard here...
If I commit a crime... and I'm being interrogated on camera...
I'm asked a question... I nod to the question.

That nod- which is BODY LANGUAGE- is a legally usable yes against me. If I said NO to the same question early, it can be disregarded for the YES I told with my body.

Now, let's look at sex.
Let's say a man and a woman are in a situation where they are about to have sex.

The woman is grinding on the guy, he asks if she wants to, and she says no... and continues grinding.

The grinding is a YES according to body language.
The statement is a NO according to verbal consent.

Yet, if the man were to choose the YES, and ignore the NO,
and she does not resist or fortify/clarify which of the 2 messages she's sending, she has the ability to later accuse him of rape, because the law ONLY LOOKS AT THE VERBAL COMMUNICATION and not the non-verbal communication...

...until interrogation time, when this gets disregarded.

Explain to me how that is not totally F'd up?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Yeah, no one is seriously advocating for steam to shut down for an hour, just that it would be funny to see because drat nerds would lose their poo poo and we, as fully functional adults who paid $10 to post on an internet forum, would not care as much.

Sarkesians videos are a good jumping off point for people who seriously want to know about how sexism has permeated all the media they've been consuming over their entire life, but they're a bit simple and don't really cover WHY it's like that. But then if you try you have to use words like "patriarchy" and man people really don't like that.

Have some idiots from something that was just posted on Facebook for Colbert:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Gotta love the "I don't understand hashtags" guy.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Je suis fatigue posted:

Yeah, no one is seriously advocating for steam to shut down for an hour, just that it would be funny to see because drat nerds would lose their poo poo and we, as fully functional adults who paid $10 to post on an internet forum, would not care as much.

Exactly. Anything that can be done to piss off "true gamers" should be done, regardless of the cost.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Way to stick it to 'em.

I also heard peanuts cure ALS as well. Too bad Obama is banning all peanuts in school and churches to accommodate some entitled 6 year olds that I don't even give a poo poo about.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mr peanut. Worse than Hitler?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

kannonfodder posted:

Exactly. Anything that can be done to piss off "true gamers" should be done, regardless of the cost.

I can guarantee you that within 5 minutes some dipshit will figure out that he can spam misogynistic messages to shut everything down permanently, if only to show how stupid that idea is. This isn't a time out, it's like punishing every child in school because some jackass is screwing around. The jackass will figure he'll be punished anyway and drag everyone down with him for giggles.

EDIT: I realize we're joking but still, think about that for a moment.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Kill all gamers

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Plom Bar posted:

Kill all gamers

https://twitter.com/hashtag/describeagamerin4words

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kinmik posted:

I loving hate these "If you're a real friend (like me :smuggo:), you'll like/share/comment on this post". If you feel the need to cull your friends list so often, maybe don't friend so many people left and right in the first place.

A guy I know who isn't that kind of passive aggressive rear end in a top hat posted that the other night. It did lead to his little sister commenting "Hospital," though, which was pretty funny. I don't know why you would need it inboxed to you. Copy and paste is pretty easy.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

My personal favorite courtesy of tinybaby: "consumerism substituted for identity"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

I realize we're joking

No. No you don't.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Henchman of Santa posted:

A guy I know who isn't that kind of passive aggressive rear end in a top hat posted that the other night. It did lead to his little sister commenting "Hospital," though, which was pretty funny. I don't know why you would need it inboxed to you. Copy and paste is pretty easy.
You're right, how else will I get that sweet, sweet Facebook CompressionTM?

(This isn't a personal dig at you, it's actually the first thing I thought myself)

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Saw this posted by a local game shop. They seriously have to tell creeps to not randomly grope women at conventions. Guess what the comments section is like? Public page, so gently caress these guys.

God dammit Australia, I thought we weren't too bad with this.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Grandma's drunk on Facebook again

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I need new friends.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I need new friends.

Your friends sound pretty cool actually

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Imagined posted:

Grandma's drunk on Facebook again

That's likebait. Everyone who likes it gets a selection of weird/embarrassing posts to make without context to make themselves, and on it gets passed.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Antioch posted:

Your friends sound pretty cool actually

I meant I need friends who don't think Cho Aniki is obscure. :v:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Metroid Prime was really good. Thus, sexism is not an issue in the videogames.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Christians-Against-Drugs/632787940138604?fref=ts

I'm pretty sure that this is a satire page, but holy gently caress is it some of the funniest poo poo I've seen in a while because I can honestly see someone believing this stuff is true...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

EZipperelli posted:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Christians-Against-Drugs/632787940138604?fref=ts

I'm pretty sure that this is a satire page, but holy gently caress is it some of the funniest poo poo I've seen in a while because I can honestly see someone believing this stuff is true...

checkmate atheists

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
That page is really funny

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was this called? I wanna see how silly it gets again.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

What was this called? I wanna see how silly it gets again.

Law 4 kidz

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Law 4 kidz

Oh man, thanks. :allears: Is there a thread on this anywhere?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

quote:

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!

THIS IS INFURIATING

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SAYING THAT

I. gently caress A NAIL POLISH THAT HELPS WOMEN PREVENT THEMSELVES FROM BEING RAPED BECAUSE
A. IT IS BASICALLY IMPLYING THAT IT'S WOMENS FAULT THEY ARE RAPED
B. gently caress THE FOUR MEN WHO INVENTED IT FOR CHARGING PEOPLE MONEY... FOR A PRODUCT?! HOW DARE THEM

Seriously, I have been going back and forth with a couple people, and let me tell you why they support this woman's logic:

1. Society isn't doing a good enough job teaching people that rape is wrong, if we tell people that it's wrong they'll stop doing it!!!!
2. It's basically telling women that rape is their fault

Okay, you can't be loving serious. Anyone with a brain and a bit of logic can tell you that
1. If someone wants to rape someone they don't care if it's right or wrong, that's like me saying gently caress ADT (a home security company) for offering people home security from people who want to break into houses and rob people, because that's like saying it's the homeowner's fault, and we aren't doing a good enough job telling people that burglary is wrong!
2. It's a loving precaution. gently caress you for saying gently caress an anti-rape nail polish that could save a women from being raped and scarred for the rest of her life
3. You are an idiot

Seriously, you are scum if you have this mindset. People like this don't care about other people, they only care about their ideals being right.

gently caress me for being a realist and wanting to prevent myself from being raped. - Any smart women ever

I love how imgur is the most racist/sexist community despite constantly patting themselves on their backs about how tolerant they are

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

He's right though

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I love how imgur is the most racist/sexist community despite constantly patting themselves on their backs about how tolerant they are

Yeah! gently caress those guys who are on our side! I hate our allies! Men who think women deserve a decent and good life are the WORST.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Yeah gently caress that woman for thinking it's kind of weird for women to test everything that they imbibe in public like it's some bizarre dystopian cyberpunk future dreamed up by a dude with rape fantasies.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I get the frustration that this person has, that it shouldn't be up to women to avoid being raped (they should just be safe 24/7), but holy poo poo. Gotta get mad at people who want to help, people who have nothing but the best intentions, and who's product may save women from being attacked. Clearly doing nothing is the better idea!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kannonfodder posted:

I get the frustration that this person has, that it shouldn't be up to women to avoid being raped (they should just be safe 24/7), but holy poo poo. Gotta get mad at people who want to help, people who have nothing but the best intentions, and who's product may save women from being attacked. Clearly doing nothing is the better idea!

She's just saying it's a dumb idea (which it is) made by people who are misguided about the whole situation (which they are). The other person is calling her an idiot for not wanting to live in some absurd reality where women perform chemical tests on their drinks at a bar.

The answer to rape culture isn't an arms race. That's what ducks did. I don't want to be a duck, even if having some crazy corkscrew cock would be kinda neat.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Aug 30, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

She's just saying it's a dumb idea (which it is) made by people who are misguided about the whole situation (which they are). The other person is calling her an idiot for not wanting to live in some absurd reality where women perform chemical tests on their drinks at a bar.

The answer to rape culture isn't an arms race. That's what ducks did. I don't want to be a duck, even if having some crazy corkscrew cock would be kinda neat.

Whoa buddy, be careful over there, that slope you're sliding down is pretty slippery and you might get hurt.

Giving people more options to take care of themselves is never a bad idea, and I'm sorry you think it is, but even if it does lead to an "arms race" it's still likely to save a lot of people a lot of grief which sounds kinda worthwhile to me.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm mostly angry that it's not a top coat

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Assigning malicious intent to good intentions is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, but does it change colors in regular alcohol, since most of the time date rape happens through a lot of booze instead of a fancy drug?

• Locked thread